How did they fucking do this? (inb4 drugs)

How did they fucking do this? (inb4 drugs)

Such an insanely unique album:
>the freaky vocal harmonies
>guitar strumming that emulates percussion
>Crazy and unheard-of melodies (although the winters love melody is vaguely reminiscent of traditional folk music.)
>the lyrics are bretty out there too tbqh

It's not just sung tongs obviously: feels, stgstv, sj etc are unique --- but sung tongs fucking takes the cake.

Name one fucking album that is anything at all similar to this, I dare you.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xdW6DOXENC4&index=3&list=PLneafBqD6cLfL0KWCNJiHwy6BlCGeXWy3
youtube.com/watch?v=_R6gt5avYE0
youtube.com/watch?v=5l382GBQ8tU
books.google.com/books?id=gCoEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=for instance, says portner&source=bl&ots=0HQ-indHdL&sig=zlB5H1EoHUzYPQcp9NW_Bm-rQRQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW6qyfyNjJAhXCYyYKHQRmD3gQ6AEIIzAB#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Name one fucking album that is anything at all similar to this

Apart from the vocal harmonies, the Sun City Girls' self-titled and Torch of the Mystics.

SCG is a massive influence on Animal Collective.

two tabs of acid in the woods, this album, and me

drugs

Avey is one of the greatest songwriters of the 21st century. The others are excellent too but I think he's most responsible for all their amazing early stuff.

This is kind of like a scary, depraved Sung Tongs a little bit.

Yeah, he was a creative genius in his youth. I think he could still be doing amazing stuff if it weren't for the fact that he's been suffering with various degrees of depression for the past six years. I almost hear hints of disassociation on Painting With. It makes me sad.

That is exactly why I really enjoy anco and what drew me in first-listen.

>he's been suffering with various degrees of depression for the past six years
Really? I've never heard about this. I thought they were all living pretty comfortably now.

Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty trippy album, but it's definitely the start of when Animal Collective stopped doing acid all the time.

It's a lot more refined, thought out, and even a little bit more mature than everything that came before it. It sounds crisp and clean, whereas everything prior except for maybe Campfire Songs sounds messy and uncertain. I think a lot of that comes from Panda finally stepping up in terms of playing, singing, and songwriting - with two people actively working together its a much firmer ground.

Avey is a lot happier since he got together with Angel. Centipede Hz is extremely anxious and uncertain, but Slasher Flicks is in turn a lot more excited and playful, as is Painting With.

Most of it stems from his divorce in late 2008 (which was after MPP was recorded). It killed a lot of the optimism you here on MPP, and it's very apparent on Down There. He's been steadily getting better since then though, and I think he's fairly happy now.

Except for Geologist, each of the members of the band has dealt with a period of emotional intensity. For Panda and Deak it was their fathers dying.

I've always heard that Panda was the one with clinical depression

I love these albums guys but they don't really sound like Sung Tongs.

If you want to have a freak folk thread just ask.

This, on the other hand, sounds a lot like it, at least to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=xdW6DOXENC4&index=3&list=PLneafBqD6cLfL0KWCNJiHwy6BlCGeXWy3

He got hit with tragedy shortly after Merriweather. His wife divorced him out of the blue, and I think that kind of sent him spiraling, which he's been fighting against since Centipede Hz. Down There was a culmination of the end of his relationship with Kria, the death of his grandmother, and his sister being diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010. I also think the success of Merriweather just stressed everyone out in Animal Collective to some degree. He also apparently struggled with alcohol from 2010 through 2014. Also, check out this interview:

youtube.com/watch?v=_R6gt5avYE0

There are points throughout this interview where he seems visibly upset. That said, he doesn't really come off this way in more recent photos and interviews I've seen. Maybe being on the road with his bros has been good for him.

That's too bad, Down There is fantastic at least. Stuff like this really makes me want a documentary for the band.

>and his sister being diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010

Holy shit I didn't know that.

Please tell me this qt is okay.

Yeah I'm pretty sure she beat it.

Thank god I haven't even heard her music yet.

Hm, will give a listen thx senpai.
And if I wanted a freak folk thread I would have posted that, but I specifically targeted ST and any albums out there that sound like that..not necessarily limited to freak folk.

>but it's definitely the start of when Animal Collective stopped doing acid all the time.
I think that's Strawberry Jam, and even that has a druggy kind of essence. Just watch videos from the 2005-2006 Feels tour; They looked dosed. That's also the tour where they first started playing Strawberry Jam. Merriweather Post Pavilion definitely sounds more like a sober record to me.

this seems like a rip off.

I definitely think they kept doing acid up until MPP (and in Avey and Deakin's case I think they still do it), just to a lesser degree. I believe the Sung Tongs/Feels era is when Panda, Avey, and Geologist all got more seriously involved with their romantic partners and that probably goes a long way to reducing their drug use.

Of course, Panda has stated he smokes ganj fairly regularly to this day so it's not like they're completely sober now.

If it is it's very well done, and it's pretty distinct in some parts. To give him credit, he's doing a very good impression all by himself.

Of course, there's a very fine line when you find something very similar to an album by a different artist that came later between another example of the sound and a ripoff.

At the very least it's not like Alvin Band or El Guincho which are shameless Animal Collective soundalikes (though still pretty good).

No one talks about Water Curses even though it's one of my favorite albums by them.

it's an EP and only the title track is good
literally NOTHING about your post was correct user
you should feel bad

It's absolutely their best EP. Entire thing flows like wine.

If you get the chance this summer, wait for it to rain late in the evening, and when the storm has passed and it's properly dark, take a walk through your neighborhood listening to it while seeing how the street lights reflect off the soaked pavement.

It's the only EP of theirs where every song is a 10/10.

I would be pretty embarrassed if I were you.

It's a shame what happened. They were so cute together.

youtube.com/watch?v=5l382GBQ8tU

Wrong EP

Just because it isn't super energetic doesn't make it bad, user.

It's the "ah ah ah ah" sound that he's doing. It immediately makes it sound way to much like ST

Nope.
I like that one, but nope.

This is their best ep. It's what really got me into AnCo

Avey's just kind of a dark person

Panda's been on antidepressants since his father died in the early 2000's. That's what Pills is about

but user, the closest to what you describe is and maybe Fall Be Kind if it weren't for the second half of What Could I Want? Sky
where did I say that?
any details on what happened? I know he got divorced, but somebody itt mentioned that it was "out of the blue" and now I'm curious.
also, Pullhair Rubeye is the best Avey Tare project if you don't count STGSTV. only Enter the Slasher House comes close desu

I love PH, but Water Curses is better.

It feels really stupid to pick fights over which EP is best when I like all of them. People is probably the most underwhelming but I still like it.

panda is just an incredibly quiet and private person

he wasn't lying in the lyrics to my girls - he really just wants to be left alone

I want to talk with you about AC but your opinions are bizarre.

Down There is his best solo release.

The impression I got is that their breakup, while emotionally heavy for Avey, wasn't a nasty one, since she was involved at their All Tomorrow Party thing in 2011.

You kind of implied that seeing as how you said the only good track just so happens to be the most energetic one.
I can kinda understand why you might think Seal Eying is mediocre, but the rest is amazing.

I JUST WANT
TO BE ALONE
COME GIVE ME THE SPACE I NEED
FOR MY GIRLS

It really made me fall in love with Vashti. Her voice just calms me down so much

No idea, I want to know to. He was a lucky dude

Avey is still a lucky dude.

I was a fan of Vashti before Anco, and I heard that she collaborated with them, so I listened to PH, and that's how I got into AnCo

Then she released Heartleap and said it would be her last.

>tfw someday soon, Vashti will die, and we'll be left with her swansong will be her saddest abum

they're all good, but for anco standards they aren't super amazing other than Water Curses itself
I'll give it another listen once I get a working pair of half-decent headphones
I've only given a few listens to Down There, but it was honestly so unimpressive that I've had no desire to go back to it. in fact, since I listened to it first before any of his other solo stuff it even put me off of listening to Enter the Slasher House for a long time
I wish she did more like it. her voice is great, but her solo albums are just so boring to me because I'm a pleb who can't appreciate chamber folk and therefore find the songs completely uninteresting

Holy shit, she is a cutie

But man, the instrumental arrangement in Just Another Diamond Day is A1, though. And Vashti's singing is so personal and sincere, it's like you've become aquainted with her after you listen

>but my heaven is all around me and there's zulu in my body

Yeah, which is sad. tfw I use to be friends with a girl who looked like vashti

Her solo albums are great, but they're not something I would listen to frequently

It sounds like you're a pleb all around, since you don't understand Down There and can't let one of the comfiest albums of all time into your heart.

You should have got her, Vashti is my dream girl. And I didn't even think she was attractive until I listed to JADD, that album is just that emotional and sincere. Even in her old age I still find her kind of attractive, and I'm not usually into old ladies.

I think she's one of my most listened to artists

She just stopped talking to me for no reason. She's aged quite gracefully, her voice hasn't changed either

It's hard to pick between this and Water Curses for me. Though Fall Be Kind is also fantastic and I can't help but love People because the whole Feels era was just so good.

Because of how sweet JADD is, I can't sexualize in any capacity.

I just want her to hold me close while I fall asleep in her arms.

His smile always cheers me up. Avey's such a sweet guy.

oh, it's very well executed, I'm not denying that. it's just not my thing at all. I'm a sperg who genuinely can't get into music that doesn't sound "unique," and while her stuff is great it kinda just sounds like good folk music to me, nothing more.
Down There seemed like it'd be great but didn't grab me in the slightest, and for the second part see above.

I personally think Fall Be Kind is their best EP and that What Would I Want? Sky is a masterpiece of a song

but user, Prospect Hummer is great throughout whereas FBK has WWIW?S (which is mediocre other than the instrumental at the start being kinda neat) and On A Highway (which is just pretty good.) The rest of FBK is great though.

I personally think WWIW?S is vastly overrated and Avey's vocals on the track are uncomfortably close to radio pop, which is not a bad thing in itself but do not help the song.

Graze is so much ridiculously better than it it's ludicrous.

people > PH > fall be kind >= water curses

finally, somebody else who understands
it's genuinely among some of the least interesting tracks in their discography, I don't get the praise at all

You should look up stuff by the same producer, Rusty Santos.

Red, Yellow, and Blue by Born Ruffians is similar. Not as good I don't think, but I haven't listened to it too much.

Wow you manage to get it almost completely backwards.

WC > PH > FBK > People

it has genuinely made me cry

Geologist said that he was having a really bad period of his life during the recording of HCTI and onwards as he moved away from the band.

They were all going through some difficult shit during HCTI; it got the point where Avey was yelling at Deakin in the street.

Geologist at least was the only one to actually stick with college.

>Avey was yelling at Deakin in the street

elaborate?

>Yelling at Deakin
uh never heard of this

books.google.com/books?id=gCoEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=for instance, says portner&source=bl&ots=0HQ-indHdL&sig=zlB5H1EoHUzYPQcp9NW_Bm-rQRQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW6qyfyNjJAhXCYyYKHQRmD3gQ6AEIIzAB#v=onepage&q&f=false

>"I know what you do. You show up to practice and expect something to happen there. You don't do anything all week long and you show up and expect these three hours to be this moment where everything's going to come together"
>If we hadn't grown up together I would just be like "fuck you, you don't know me". But it's Dave, and he does know me."

lol deakin you lanky fuck

holy shit that's confirmation right there that he's just a tag along member. people don't change, he probably never practices when he's in Anco and just shows up

People is only underwhelming cause its only really got 2 songs (People and Tikwid) and both of them are pretty good