youtu.be/GjwaVKAD1l0
youtube.com/watch?v=v1MfeLx6Uds
youtube.com/watch?v=1cpcyWumgKU
youtube.com/watch?v=yyzDKAx8seU
youtube.com/watch?v=X1X0Bejwnko
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Loren Mazzacane Connors - Airs

What's first column third row?

i'm not sure what you're missing because i'm not sure what this collection of albums actually is.

like there's meme albums, great albums, dogshit albums, all compiled into one list.

its outsider music did you not read the subject you fucking retard

Hasil Adkins - Out to Hunch
Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
Wing Sings AC/DC

Farrah Abraham - My Teenage Dream Ended

and yet, almost none of it is outsider music, thus making the list more confusing.

i'm sorry you decided to get in complete and utter shambles over this one post on an internet message board, but please meme elsewhere

>trout mask
>viper
>r stevie moore
>outsider music

i think you need to learn the meaning of outsider music

Skip Spence - Oar

Jandek - Ready for the House

Yes, that is what it is.

wanna say Trust - TRST

I think your idea of outsider music is a little broad, but if we're counting TMR and Ariel Pink, then at the very least Syd Barret's solo material and John Maus count.

I would add:
Wicked Witch
James Ferraro
The Savage Young Taterbug
and maybe Caroliner.

Trust is pretty far from outsider music.

Kind of pretentious and weird to aestheticize music made by "outsiders" in a patronizing and self-serving way, and even more weird to be pedantic about it

I always see bwilson called outsider music, its even on his wikipedia page. but literally how? dude was classically trained, influenced probably completely by pop music, composed and arranged using established theory

Charles Manson Lie: The Love and Terror Cult

It's because he has a mental illness. Outsider music is frequently equated to "music by crazy people" because people like Captain Beefheart and Daniel Johnston are used as examples.

Johnston is also very heavily influenced by popular music, and to be perfectly honest, most examples of outsider music are. Pop music is pretty much inescapable.

Again, it's unfortunate that you think this way, but it is indeed an incorrect mindset that you've developed

lol, it's a definition mate, take your grievances up with a dictionary

I would add
kenneth higney - attic demonstration
as well as wicked witch and out to hunch, as others mentioned. good list so far

Updated

Even though Beefheart and Ariel achieved popular success, both of those albums have some of the emotional vulnerability and ego-less weirdness associated that I would say makes them outsider music. I definitely don't want to go broader then those two, though.

Because Irwin Chusid said that his music was outsider music, and he's basically the only person that has formally written about outsider music. I think it has more to do with Wilson's personality than his actual music.

Can you give me link to the RYM for the Wicked Witch album? I'm not sure I'm finding the right thing.

tmr isnt outsider music

slint - spiderland

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/wicked_witch/chaos_1978_86/

Okay I'll bite
how is beefheart a "crazy person"?

Abner Jay - One Man Band
The Passionate and Objective Jokerfan - [take your pick]

>play a strawberry

loni.bandcamp.com

oh shit yeah, definitely abner jay

I disagree with you, but I may take it off just because of how well known it is on Sup Forums. Depends on how many good recs I get.

Thanks, added.

LRD's '77 Live, Cable Hogue Soundtrack or maybe Mizutani. I would add the Parable of Arable Land by Red Crayola and L'Amour by Lewis as well.

Let me guess, you've only listened to tmr?

VA — Robert Crumb Presents Hot Women Singers

I would say scratch luie luie honestly, just cause it really sucks

I would also add
George Coleman- Bongo Joe
and
Bobb Trimble - Iron Curtain Innocence

none are outsider. tmr and ariel pink aren't either really

I suppose it's not a good idea to think critically about anything after all

do you even know what outsider music is?

>Mizutani
Literally how in any form whatsoever is LRD outsider music? This thread is top cringe, you avant-teens are so thirsty for self-validation you'll give anything an inapplicable label just to feel like a special snowflake.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_in_the_Key_of_Z

this post is 100x more "cringey" than anything in this thread

So do you get your whole vocabulary from this site, or is this just a really unflattering example of what your brain is like

How would that change the fact he was a violent control freak?

Everybody involved was pretty clear about that. Zappa has confirmed he's always been a fucking nutjob.

Get that man a Pepsi.

if you think about any musical classification critically you can find flaws with it, yet they're still important to have as reference points. they can be arbitrary, sure, but that's language. it's important to think critically but it's stupid to get mad at definitions

OP, add this please:
Connie Converse - How Sad, How Lovely

So you acknowledge that I may have a point and then call me "mad" for bringing it up?

Why even bother responding to me in the first place?

I didn't acknowledge that you had a point

The only avant teens here are you if you think Lewis is in no way outsider.
youtu.be/GjwaVKAD1l0

Remove R Stevie Moore

He's as inside as it gets

was how sad how lovely a case of outsider music as much as a case of 0 marketing? it's not an odd album by any means.

mah nigga. Also Sybille Baier - Colour Green could be considered outsider, although she's a little more conventional musically.

Also, Langley Schools Music Project - Innocence and Despair should probably be on there

"if you think about any musical classification critically you can find flaws with it"

This is the crux of what I was saying. Maybe I misunderstood you? Not trying to be antagonistic here, so I'm sorry that last post was sort of defensive

Fucking LRD is outsider now?

That's it, I'm done with this shit board

It was absolutely an odd album for its time. She was a folk singer songwriter almost 10 years before dylan. And her songs definitely have the odd, untrained, handcrafted quality that defines outsider music.

i'll take your word for it senpai, suppose I wasn't born in that time.

Thanks

Despite all the concerns about what is and isn't "outsider", I'm pretty happy with how this thread is turning out. You've given me lot's of cool new music to listen to.
Updated.

how about car seat headrest - teens of denial? a truely great album by a real music outsider

For example, a flaw with the "outsider music" label would be that it conflates an artist's insanity or inability to make normal music with an artist's unwillingness to. I can accept this as a flaw, but my point there was that it doesn't ruin the label, and there are flaws with any label. Criticism is fine, but my main point is that it's pointless to reject a fairly well defined label because of some flaw in it. Use different labels that suit your purposes better. (Your point seemed to me to be that outsider was a pointless term and this chart was pointless, my mistake if it's not)

looking really good so far

youtube.com/watch?v=v1MfeLx6Uds
Yeah I guess you're right.

can't forget Donnie & Joe Emerson - Dreamin' Wild

if you just want records to listen to then i recommend mayo thompson's first solo album:
youtube.com/watch?v=1cpcyWumgKU

it is NOT outsider music, but it's weird and AWESOME.

Missing

add this

On the topic of chusidfagging, Esquivel: Space-Age Bachelor Pad Music

and this

Lol this is great, thanks.

Joe meek is outsider music?

I never said Lewis wasn't outsider, I'm not at all familiar with his work. But just in general a lot of shit in this thread isn't outsider music, something being 'weird' or lo-fi doesn't equate to outsider. LRD, Beefheart, R.Stevie Moore, Viper, Gary Wilson, Slint, James Ferraro, and Barrett, while a bit 'strange' perhaps, have nothing to do with the term. It's a cool idea for a thread but every time we have one it just shows what little an understanding there is. These people/bands aren't outsiders, they aren't completely disassociated from the popular music world, nor are they lacking a traditional or semi-traditional song structure.

If anything, add Jon - s/t, and Alvaro the Chilean - Drinkin My Own Sperm

oh yeah, definitely this
but I wouldn't say this fits, or at least would leave it out to avoid redundancy

If any Brian Wilson/Beach Boys makes it on here, it should be I Love You. Basically just a very mentally ill brian wilson rambling about nonsense -- but it actually sounds good. There's some decent tracks on that joint. But it's totally unhinged at the same time.

>But just in general a lot of shit in this thread isn't outsider music, something being 'weird' or lo-fi doesn't equate to outsider.
Can you provide a working definition then? Because I'm having trouble extrapolating one from your opinions. The examples you gave included artists that are generally considered outsider artists.

Silver Apples could qualify on inventiveness and oddness, although they were somewhat popular. But if tiny tim can be on the list, so can they imo

you need Wesley Willis on the chart my man
youtube.com/watch?v=yyzDKAx8seU

He's on there bud

lonnie holley should be there

shit my bad im blind also jandek

The Residents - third reich and roll

Mahmoud Awad- Sheikh To The Future

seriously 3 albums of bizarre as fuck music and no one knows anything about him

... Jandek is also on there ;)

>Outsider music is a genre coined by radio personality and producer Irwin Chusid. The genre describes music made outside of the commercial music industry made by usually self-taught persons who don't realize how bizarre and exotic their music is. Some common examples are Jandek, Daniel Johnston, Wesley Willis, and Wild Man Fischer.

The only one that i'm a bit torn on is Barrett, while he did suffer from severe mental illness, his music is generally structured conventionally. If he was in seclusion then I guess he could be considered but I don't believe that was the case, at least for Madcap. Could be wrong.

But how would any of the artists I pointed out earlier fit that description, or even have anything in common with established outsider musicians like Daniel Johnston or Jandek? Especially Les Rallizes Denudes, I can't think of a single reason they would even be considered.

no

yes

maybe

Half Japanese - 1/2 Gentlemen/Not Beasts

I completely agree with you on LRD, but Moore, Beefheart, Gary Wilson, and Viper are all musicians I would classify as outsider. Beefheart was certifiably bonkers, and Moore's entire career has consisted of producing massive amounts of homemade albums and music videos and mailing them to . Also both were featured in Chusid's book on outsider music (also he later appeared on an R. Stevie Moore album).

And well, Gary Wilson just sounds wrong, and his music is incredibly personal and awkward. Viper, I think may be mentally ill, his music is awkward and uncommercial, and like Moore he has an impossibly large discography and some strange homemade music videos.

I understand that a lot of different and unrelated qualities get lumped into the definition of "outsider music" but that's just because the term has basically been defined by Chusid.

roky erickson - the evil one was mostly written in an insane asylum.

literally seconding this

But is self releasing home made music really enough to qualify? If that makes Moore an outsider artist, wouldn't that make most bandcamp singer/songwriter basement shit outsider also? Wouldn't that make albums like Golden Feelings by Beck also outsider, or obscure self released forest recordings by black metal bands, or most noise released through the internet? I suppose it must be a pretty loose term, and while i do disagree with a lot of the choices I can at the very least see why someone would think so.

I still fail to see how Gary Wilson is outsider though. I don't think personal and awkward is really a good enough reason, you could say the same thing about early Beck or even like The Pod by Ween. He's incredibly unique in almost every way but he still plays pretty conventionally and has been on major labels. If anything Gary's definitely an incredibly cool dude, I'm about to see him for the third time, he's really awesome musician even in his 60's.

Wasn't Gary Wilson virtually unknown for 30 years? And he made music that was totally unique and insane and personal... I think that's what makes him an outsider artist.

eden ahbez

this album, not that there is any other

i win

Gorguts - Obscura is even by metal standards off the charts outsider stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=X1X0Bejwnko

Vic Chesnutt - Drunk
Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs

why do you consider this outsider?

also Charles Manson - LIE: The Love and The Terror Cult

i love lewis so much

What's so outsider about Tiny Tim?