/daily/ - be excited for bojack edition

today is a yesterday

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, tell us what you've been listening to today and what you will listen to in the following month, see GFR's tourney unfold, conclude that Jangle's Thrift Tourney was a spook, talk about Legends of the Hidden Temple and why 90's Nickelodeon game shows were the best, and just let the good times flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>backup topsters when topsters inevitably shits the bed

topsters.net/
>working? kind of. probably not

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>for when you want to say dumb things but don't want them to be found in the archive

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>plug, but with emotes instead of avatars that crawled out of uncanny valley, aka the inferior plug (but the working one)

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

Ask about our alleged Skype group. Nobody will tell you anything, but it's fun to try.

Most importantly, be pretty

Previously on /daily/ →

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/Mimrelund/stag/backlog/2
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sole_and_dj_pain_1/nihilismo/
youtu.be/Mgr-5DnH62Y
mega.nz/#!RtxTzRxT!9oLpxn2aDVJa3O1OPX_0nOjPPQIgyA0QNynJF_G177Y
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/berliner_philharmoniker_herbert_von_karajan/le_sacre_du_printemps
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/new_york_philharmonic_leonard_bernstein/le_sacre_du_printemps/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/cleveland_orchestra_pierre_boulez/la_mer__nocturnes__jeux__rhapsodie_pour_clarinette_et_orchestre/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_tallis_scholars_peter_phillips/spem_in_alium/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/artur_rubinstein/the_nocturnes/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/reinbert_de_leeuw/gnossiennes__gymnopedies__ogives__trois_sarabandes__petite_ouverture_a_danser/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/tim_buckley/the_peel_sessions/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/anthony_braxton/willisau__quartet__1991/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its finally here

crayon pop

damn Klaus Schulze really peaked with X

Would /daily/ get in the robot?

Yes, cause we're not a pussy like Shinji

Mclusky - Mclusky Do Dallas - Noise Rock - 4.0 - really fun noise rock.

I made some yerba mate and started listening to Caetano Veloso - Transa. It's pretty interesting, it's my second MPB album so I don't really know how it is compared to others. I think that I'll give it 3.5

Guys, what hip hop should I listen to next?

rateyourmusic.com/collection/Mimrelund/stag/backlog/2

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sole_and_dj_pain_1/nihilismo/ this looks rad

Sole and DJ Pain 1 it is! Thanks, chief.

>we're not a pussy
True, we're many pussies unless you subscribe to the (100% factual) theory that /daily/ is just Sdc samefagging. I don't see how that would help us get in the robot though.

Seconding this, and then Xiu Xiu

I just see daily as one gigantic living organism that keeps growing

>2016
>not getting in the robot

But Xiu Xiu is not hip hop.

Oh, didn't see the hip-hop part, my bad

>2016
>not being the robot

No worries, I have that Xiu Xiu thing planned for another time.

this kills the bear

Delete robots. Ban all robits.

Rude.

finally got my hands on this

SAID I THINK YOU'RE A QUEER

I THINK YOU'RE A QUEER

So they basically remastered the old demos and added some unheard covers. I like how remaster crisped the sounds up but I also miss the lo-fi sound, which in the demoes added some mystery and spookyness to it. TBM had pretty loud mixing in their last album so it could've been predicted that they're gonna remaster imagica in some similar way (and it gives mixed feelings sometimes).
There were rumours that they are going to re-record the vocals, but they were kept as originals. Might be because there were also rumours (back from like 2008 because people did not know why TBM don't perform their oldest material anymore) that Chibi just can't sing that high anymore. In some songs it's definitely plausible.
Nothing and Nowhere felt like it had the most changes cos the original recording had clicking sounds and other recording flaws but here the guitars are mixed a bit too loudly overall (this is kind of audible in the whole album) and make the synths sound a tad quieter but really tone down the drum machine.
Songs like Over and Nothing and Nowhere got extra arrangement which was pretty nice to hear, but then again some of the songs I love got a bit cut in size (original NAN is like 4:38 iirc and it's 4:16 here), BUT I'm still good with this. I'm keeping both this and old demo.
Remember me was definitely drawn from the original and it seemed that it was kind difficult to remaster the song in a modern sounding way (the background recording in particular) I also love Nighttime and Under the Stairs ofc.
TBM the song is Happy Birthday in it's early presentation and I did not like it as much because of the vocals being too tongue in cheek but it gives you kind of a different point of view towards that song.
Not sure why Play Dead was added because it's a very stripped down demo version (and we saw the finite version on Violet before) that mostly focuses on the vocals.
Last 3 songs are covers and it's not original demo material but it's still fun bangers.

I also listened to The Magnetic Fields and Slint yesterday, what's next? I need more two so I'll give a bit of thoughts on them

Some thoughts about the albums from the upcoming shared chart

gfr
>O. Lamm - Snow Party
This was boring unfortunately. I just can’t get into this structure less, seemingly random electronic glitch style stuff. I just miss something to focus on, something to grasp. And it won’t build a good enough atmosphere to stand on that alone. There’s so much variety that I can’t make out any highpoints, or lowpoints either, I just hardly remember anything about the actual sounds of the album. The general sound wasn’t my thing.

>School Food Punishment- School Food Is Good Food
A fun little Indie/Pop EP, first association I had was Mass of the Fermenting Dregs, but that’s not really it, apart from maybe the vocal style and language.
I especially liked the dynamics going on in several songs, mainly remarkable on Close, Down, Back To and Snap. All together a fairly entertaining record.

>Eureka - Lifter
As boring as the cover suggest. Your typical bandcambient with random effects, spoken-word and glitch sounds. I think there might be a concept behind it, but I can't seem to recognize it. It gets a bit better towards the end, but stays entirely unimpressive.

>™CENTURY - PENNS WOODS, PART II
More atmospheric ambient type stuff, this time in a vaporwave approach, which makes it a bit better, a bit more interesting. Also there's happening alot of stuff in the background here, some nice melodies and soundings. And it has quite a few nice ideas and changes and structures. Actually really liked the second half of the second track when all the different instruments showed up and all gave this a deeply-needed freshness, delivering until the end. But overall I can definitely enjoy this while listening to it, but it didn't really make me want to revisit it, except for maybe the last 20 minutes or so.

(1/2)

Mark
>John Greaves, Peter Blegvad and Lisa Herman - Kew. Rhone.
Lovely Canterbury scene style prog, although not entirely close to that’s tradition, feels a lot more out-there and ambitious. And it works out great. We have a unique and exciting instrumentation going on through the album, with enough variety and all. Lisa Herman’s vocals add a lot to the experience of this album. Will definitely go back to this. Also one step closer to finish the NWW list.

>Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
Reggae is sucha meh-genre for me, like it's okay to listen to, but it's completely uninteresting, it's way too slow and repetative in a style that I just can't enjoy much. Okay, here the lyrics are about politics, doesn't make the music better. I'm willing to give the genre a few more tries, because I really haven't heard much, but if it's all like this I won't get anything out of it. Maybe I need to start to smoke the weed to appreciate this.

>Various Artists - Saigon Rock & Soul: Vietnamese Classic Tracks 1968-1974
Pretty interesting compilation about a country's musical output, that's completely new to me. While I enjoyed the majority of songs, it all sounds very similar in style and approach, a few highlights here and there but overall too samey, it's missing some special moments. Ultimately it didn't really make me want to explore Vietnamese Rock music more, which I guess is its intention, or one of them. Anyways nice listen.

Shamepai
>Astral Social Club - Happy Horse
Dense atmosphere built on loop-based textures. Fairly interesting modification of short spoken fragments, although the outcome is not always overly interesting. Tends to get lost in atmosphere too often, which is a thing I rarely like in music. The constant face-paced beat hammering into your head is quite intriguing tho and never gets stale surprisingly enough. All in all a good listen, may return to this.

i tried to watch both seasons of bojack yesterday in attempt to be fully ready for season 3 even though i already rewatched last month. i wasnt able to do it [got to s2 e3] so i just skipped to the third season today.
only seen the first 3 episodes but so far its beyond fantastic

onto something music related, gonna listen to jim o'rourkes some kind of pagan, based on the first track it sounds extremely lo fi and primitive, reminds me a bit of how the residents started out.

what is it?

>robot
what is this meme?

PLUG ANYONE?

tbm imagica

/daily/ is all about transhumanist memery.

helo
listenalong

Orquesta Andalusí de Tánger & Juan Peña Lebrijano - Encuentros
>Arabic Music, Flamenco nuevo
Andalusian Folk Music

youtu.be/Mgr-5DnH62Y
mega.nz/#!RtxTzRxT!9oLpxn2aDVJa3O1OPX_0nOjPPQIgyA0QNynJF_G177Y

much love

Plug me.

Purp me.

nice
maybe I'm not here on Sunday, so someone else would have to organize the plug listenalong then

I'm closing my backlog for a while and I'll work hard on not adding anything new there. The only thing I'm looking for now is some classical, preferably not works but albums, and the ones that are not hard to find. So rec me 3-4 classical albums, some essential ones and some impressionism maybe.

Le Sacre Du Printemps?
Steve Reich?

go for plus In C by Terry Riley and La Mer by Debussy (preferably the Boulez version)

all finished now except for the schubert, which is apparently only on spotify. hm. is it going to be worth it to seek out, you think?

shared chart ruggles rudi

Also avoid anything from Karajan and you'll be fine

>he bought into the Karajan is bad meme
can you expand on why he's so awful? I bet you can't

pere ubu and glenn branca

He just adds a lot of shit that no one asked into his works. Karajan itself it's not that bad, he is just not that suited to get into classica music imo

like what shit where?

1) Listen to this: rateyourmusic.com/release/album/berliner_philharmoniker_herbert_von_karajan/le_sacre_du_printemps

2)Listen to this: rateyourmusic.com/release/album/new_york_philharmonic_leonard_bernstein/le_sacre_du_printemps/

3)Come back here for profit

You are choosing a work of which Karajan is not competent, and yet he does a wonderful job in expressing the late romantic intuitions Stravinskij re-used in his Sacre, although paling a bit against the more "modern" interpretations (and I find Bernstein's one as much as flawed). What's your point?

I listened to both of them and liked them, but thanks.
Thanks, I'll try them.

Are there any other conductors/performers I should avoid?

In Italy we have a term to describe it but it doesn't translate to English and it's Barocchismo.

It's a misuse and an exaggeration of decorations and formalisms.

vez tranquillo che sono italiano anche io e so benissimo cosa voglia dire.
As I said, Karajan is not at all competent in modern composers, but this is not enough to pan his whole work. His romantic stuff or the things he has done with the symphonic Beethoven are top notch, for example.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/cleveland_orchestra_pierre_boulez/la_mer__nocturnes__jeux__rhapsodie_pour_clarinette_et_orchestre/

this one?

that one

Da quando sei Italiano aiuto

più o meno da 22 anni. Quindi siamo io, te, il ragazzo che fuma erba e...?

pizza spaghetti scusi

Rooney when
I feel like I should to at least one of the shared chart albums soon since you've already started. Will only post my thoughts on the RYM list tho.
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_tallis_scholars_peter_phillips/spem_in_alium/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/artur_rubinstein/the_nocturnes/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/reinbert_de_leeuw/gnossiennes__gymnopedies__ogives__trois_sarabandes__petite_ouverture_a_danser/

>Satie
I still don't get the hype around the guy. I mean, he is good, and mystical and all, but I have the same feelings I get when I usually listen to Part, if not weaker. What should I get from him? What was his aim? Why he is still recognized as a great personality of the French school while Debussy totally annihilates him?

The other two recs are excellent, tho.

you clearly forgot the "mamma mafia mandolino Berlusconi" mantra.

Ce n'era un altro ma non si fa vedere da mesi, aveva gusti di merda comunque

Actually I haven't eaten pizza in months

I've heard the Satie one, and quite liked it actually. I've heard The Nocturnes too, but so long ago that I'm going to give it a re-listen.

you can make a free Spotify account and then play the web browse with Adblock and get no ads

Mio ragazzo!
pepperoni mama mia!
that's-a spicy meatball-a!

I'm not very knowledgable on classycool but I guess the hype'd be for a few reasons:

1. His music is pretty relaxing and calm.
2. He was innovative and influential to modern music.
3. There's a certain unique feeling his music gives me, especially his Gnossiennes and Gymnopedies cause I'm a basic bitch. I wish I could describe it but I just can't say anything other than it's a melancholy feeling. It's kinda like the feeling other music labelled impressionism gives me but feels less uh colorful or something like that.

This probably didn't help very much due to my limited knowledge and understanding of classical music but I hope I at least sorta helped you """get""" the hype. Really though his stuff just might not be your thing.
Yee.

Morning daily!

Going to make coffee because it's delicious and energizing.
Will listen to some nice jazz like Dolphy's Conversations or Davis' Seven Steps to Heaven. Maybe some Ra?

As fucking if you forgot to add me in this though and I got cucked by fucking Nyar.

Added you.

I might actually do it if I wasn't tied down by school. I value new and different experiences more than most people and moving far away isn't really that scary to me.

That looks dope!

Slayer - Reign in Blood
[1986]
>thrash metal

I liked the riffs and generally the instrumentation a lot. It didn't have many solos which is a nice decision, solos in metal are most of the time awful. The vocals were alright, either very good (Postmortem) or not that good (Angel of Death, which i like as a track). But it didn't make a lot of an impression on me. What I think I'm searching for in metal is slower and more absurd. +

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
[1969]
>jazz fusion, jazz rock

Ok so I liked the first track and the beefheart cameo but the rest is just wank. I liked other jazz-rock before, but this is just unexciting. -

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
[1969]
>jazz

this is so chill, almost ambient-jazz, very easy on the ears. I'd say it sounds like waking up. Have to relisten but while the second side is groovy and the best jazz thing I've heard, I'm not sure on the first. +

>Going to make coffee because it's delicious and energizing.
just curious
how does /daily/ like their coffee?
black master race tay bay hach

listen to queen is dead or spirit of eden next

"yes"

"cool"

but didnt you rec me like an lp or sth

I hand grind beans from my local coffee roaster and use either a french press (best) or V60 pour over if i'm not in the mood for washing/cleanup.
I drink it black also.

Reminder I rec'd this while there was still 5 spots left.
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/tim_buckley/the_peel_sessions/

>I don't drink coffee because it tastes bad.
more like your taste's bad
>Why was evangelion so good?
because of gigantic best girl
>Have you watched the rebuilds?
i watched them for Mari
>mfw they didn't give me enough Mari
>What are your thoughts on Hawaii Part ii?
it's rly good y'all shouts out to rod and rock
> Have you ever considered being more religious because you listened to old gospel music?
no but, because i listened to The Ark Work
>what PLEB artists did you listen to before you cared about music tastes and creativity?
i don't care about music tastes, they're literally worthless

last time i went there i saw them diss qt submissive feminine bois becuz muh chads, roughly, so prolly not if im completely tbch

>last time i went there i saw them diss qt submissive feminine bois becuz muh chads, roughly, so prolly not if im completely tbch
Literally what?????

/r9k/ u m8 it's literally a joke

More shitty reviews since I've just been listening to music all day trying to stay awake.

>Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
I don't like Eno's voice very much and parts of it felt wanky and just didn't excite me. Enjoyed it a bit but I'll probably never revisit this. 3/5

>Talking Heads - Fear of Music
I feel like one day Talking Heads might click with me but it's not today. I like Talking Heads but I've never got the energetic feeling other people get from this album and Remain in Light. Tbh I could just combine these two little reviews into one, I get the same feeling from both, there's stuff I like here but they just can't quite get me over the hump into loving it. Maybe it is Eno's influence that I'm not liking and I need to listen to some non-Eno Talking Heads. 3.5/5

Listening to Pharaoh Sanders (don't tell anyone but I'm actually loving this album, has daily finally broken me into liking jazz?) and Tim Buckley now

Did you give up on the mixtape tourney, cunt?

Eric Dolphy - Conversations [FM, 1963] (1st impressions)

This record marks an important transition in Dolphy's career, from the wild Mingus sideman to his own unique force in the jazz world. Unfortunately, though, this album just isn't that powerful a statement.
There exists definite hints at what to come, but the music is disorganized and not very comfy. He tries to mix post-bop and free jazz before he's a competent leader in either, and it comes off sloppy. The instruments are weirdly arranged and don't seem to compliment each other very well. Despite the album being called "Conversations", none of the musicians seem to be listening to each other.
Dolphy is clearly the centerpoint of this album, and the only one seemingly worth paying attention to; everyone else is on autopilot. The compositions aren't strong either; most songs are kind of meandered through with fragments of ideas thrown in without being expounded on.
A weak release in Dolphy's prolific 60's output.
Recommended to super Dolphy fans only.

"wow I thought u liked dolphy u fgt"
5.5 /10

I barely got the things from half of the contestants and I don't expect the people who'd have progressed based on what I got so far would give me a new one anytime soon either so yes, I gave up.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/anthony_braxton/willisau__quartet__1991/

>4 CD boxset
>Length: 259:03 (over 4 fucking hours)
So much for taking a break from long albums, I fucked myself here boys.

You fell for the meme.

More Songs About Buildings and Food has those lit basslines and is infinitely more dancey than FoM or RiL. By far the most exciting Talking Heads record and by far my favorite

Why does this even exist though

Being born is falling for the meme.

>seven compositions
>only three tracks

B R A V O
R
A
V
O

That's your parents falling for the meme, not you. Although all patricians at least try choking themselves with their mother's umbilical cord by the sixth month of pregnancy. Little do they know that's actually impossible.

good morning!
currently listening to Гpaждaнcкaя oбopoнa, I think it's...okay.
here's the chart for the listenin situation today.

I'm coming back home, so I'll make the shared chart and get fully back into my other charts.

Tim Hardin - Tim Hardin 1 (1966)
>singer/songwriter, contemporary folk

A decently pretty listen (on the beach, especially), but there's nothing here that pulls it above 8,000 other releases that sound exactly like it. At its best when it's super pastoral with some pretty, delicate arrangements, but these moments are fairly few and far between. Instead of these songs we get some shitty blues pastiche songs, and hamfisted "blues" tracks in white guy singer/songwriter albums are pretty much my least favorite thing in all of music. And I don't care too much for Hardin's voice. Worth a listen for the pretty, kinda poppy, Simon & Garfunkel-esque tracks (and I've heard his second is mostly these tracks, so I'll check it out), but brought down by the blues and by being super generic.

2.0+

light sugar and light cream 4 life
on that topic I just bought a french press which I'm very excited about.

hope you like Long Season, or else Fish will exile you from /daily/

long season is the worst fishmans album

their early albums are far shittier

word

>listening to pre-long season fishmans
absolute madman

Guys this "long season is bad" meme always confuses me. Apparently either way you side, the definitive status is polarizing considering everyone's opinions of it on here.

shared chart ruggles rudi

i'm done! it was really fun doing a shared chart, even though I didn't get to hear much that I really was wild about.

anyone want to start a new one with me?

i'd be down for a round 2 i think, though i might make slow progress on it

let's do another one sometime, but i'm curious to see what it'll be like with other dailyens first

alright

I'd still like to do one if anybody's interested

I like long season tho

wew, good to know lad

that be cool

>anyone want to start a new one with me?
takers?