/prod/ - Music Production General

Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music composition. Learn how to make leads and why your DAW of choice is crap.

>I copypasta'd this from an old archive, fite me - edition

Remember to:
>use clyp.it for WiPs
>give all soundcloud kids the silent treatment

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/r5pksfib
clyp.it/dzaf4sop
clyp.it/gfryjzby
clyp.it/3epu2pep
clyp.it/5lggx4fp
clyp.it/w1sn4la2
clyp.it/d21jfl52
clyp.it/5drs1gi4
clyp.it/ies5sjre
clyp.it/pxenj14f
soundcloud.com/verzache/winter-rush
forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283
amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469227194&sr=8-1
amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT2020-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0006H92QK/ref=sr_1_7?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1469227254&sr=1-7
clyp.it/rl1qpco5
clyp.it/nf2g13pk
clyp.it/1k5a54y5
clyp.it/0d5g3h10
youtube.com/watch?v=F21aifX0lZY
mediafire.com/download/z9an48n9jb7wwc4/Garage_Breaks_for_user.rar
clyp.it/msajzc4x
musicians.about.com/od/musiciansfaq/f/mixingormaster.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

should i bump or should i not

clyp.it/r5pksfib how's my track pham

What do you guys usually start with? Percussion or instrumentation?

Just got myself a steal. A backup shotgun mic with a rycot softie for only £100.

depends, if i have a melody then i would work percussion to fit it. If i'm just experimenting then i'd probably start with percussion.

>clyp.it/r5pksfib
On that initial sub drop it's kind of lacking weight but also has a nasty resonant harmonic in it. Drums are great, maybe bring that hat down a tiny bit. Kick drum is "meh". Sample that is. Sub is nice.

Percussion is instrumentation 8)

Melody and everyone should do it.

Based on this, what do I still have to learn? Just practicing mixing drums, this is my second attempt.

clyp.it/dzaf4sop

I'd like the snares to be even more snappier though, and the kick should maybe have some more deep ends, idk. Can you hear the bass? On my smartphone speakers I can't hear it at all, but with headphones it's fine though.

kill yourself

???

Layer an extra snare or rim quietly as an addition to your snares, buss and parallel compress for some added umpf.

I can hear the bass just fine. Kick could do with a little lower, maybe a tiny boost around 100Hz for about 1.5-2dB

Other than that it's down to the sample you're using.

clyp.it/gfryjzby

Why does my kick sound shit on higher volumes?

clyp.it/3epu2pep

first demo of a live recording, love the 414

Does anybody know of any good, free, non-torrent sample packs other than stuff from 99Sounds? Like drums, percussion, cool sounds. I like to make techno and house.

cool, now start mixing it

reminder that not all builds need vocals, sometimes you just fuck up otherwise good song by doing so

clyp.it/5lggx4fp

Stuck on this loop for days now, what should come after this?

Afraid to even bring the rest of the drums in lol

Anybody?

ok. so ive installed ableton live 9 lite. what now?

More percussion, you dip. Maybe some type of melody or extra pad to counteract the choppiness of that lead synth.

Check out Musicradar or just torrent Vengeance like the pros do

clyp.it/w1sn4la2

Anybody got a good source on E-my emulator samples? I'm looking for the Blue Monday choir

Ok I'm gonna sound like a fucking retard right now, but I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say it.

What are all those buttons and shit in the studio ? And how much does that shit cost ?

Produce some tracks

how? where do i start?

It's called a mixer. It's for mixing things. Those are mostly knobs, for adjusting EQ, gain, and sends. Some buttons are there for muting or soloing tracks.

They can range from $100 for a small home studio mixer, to $20,000+ for a large studio

Mix desk. From the top you'll have (depending on the desk)

>gain
>gain trim
>phase flip
>EQ
>Pan
>Volume fader

prices are very variable. One i used at a job was an SSL matrix. Not cheap. Then in broadcast you can get things like desks made by Calrec, so probably around 40k for one of those.

My favourite desk i've used is a TL Audio VTC 32 track. That's around $16,000.

To be honest it's all of the controls are used so much, we only ever used the desk for microphone inputs and maybe the EQ if it's nice. then into a symphony as an audio digital convertor.

Most people i know pretty much just use desks for the EQ in and maybe some saturation if it sounds good.

Most stuff is all in the box now.

this is repeated a bunch of times, each one can have an audio track on it.

clyp.it/d21jfl52

ama how i got the sounds etc always happy to help

i like this

the sound you are using for the chords are a little harsh imo. could be fixed with some osc change ups, or maybe just attack/release/reverb.

How much of kick/snare/hihat samples is too much? I think I may have gone overboard with it. I have like 5-6 for every one of them.

Bare bones percussion. 4 on the floor kick, something on 2&4, and either offset high hats or 8th note ones. This is more just to act as a metronome though.

clyp.it/5drs1gi4

i can't into "drums"... looking for any help as to achieve nice drums

drums>chords
chords>drum

depends how i'm feeling

Bumpity bump bump bump bu-bump
Bu-bumpity bump bump

I've tried making some space, but i don't know anymore...

clyp.it/ies5sjre

How do these samples sound to you? I am only sure that cello is great, because it's a Kontakt library from Tina Guo, but I may have gimped it without being aware of it.

What should I do now? How would you improve the sound some more? How are you liking the instrument arrangement?

Can someone give me a link to session horns pro i swear i cant find this shit with good seeds.

>inb4 buy it

No problem but this shit costs more than a real instrument

Bump

Dae /reaktor/ here?

I haven't sorted through the user library yet-
any suggestions on distortions/ any thing for exerimental or idm?

Where is everyone?

last bump

I followed a tutorial on parallel compression and it turned out like this:

clyp.it/pxenj14f

R8 please.

What genre would this be considered as?

soundcloud.com/verzache/winter-rush

shillingcore

i wish that were me. I'm new and the stuff i make sucks.

Could you answer the question? This is me too.

use clyp.it

it isn't mine.

tough luck, it's against the rules
otherwise there would be a shitload of spam

You could have just answered the goddamn question 5 times already...

Why would some dude with almost 9k SC followers shill on /prod/
It's actually not, idk why people started to get so uptight about soundcloud.

Just answer the fucking question!

kys and hiss and piss

ok I'm sure this has a very simple answer but how the fuck do I record acoustic music without it sounding like garbage? I don't have a studio, simply the instruments, the ability to play them well enough, and the want to record. Can someone point me in the right direction?

forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

mamma mia my ears still start hurting after some time of /prod/ing, after 2+ years. What fundamental thing I still haven't learned? I have limiters on and it is under 0db, but shit starts getting insufferable. Is it just because I spent too much time with my headphones and my ears need a rest?

realistically speaking how much would all of the gear mentioned cost? I'm not trying to become a literal starving artist, I just want to record shit and have fun.

>ok I'm sure this has a very simple answer
> how the fuck do I record acoustic music without it sounding like garbage?
Lol, It's actually really involved. The optimal way to record instruments depends on the instrument and the genre your recording for.

ok think the very end of No-wave Swans and some crescendo-shit if you can. And yeah reading the post linked to me, this seems very involved but I'd really just like to go for it and give it a shot

amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469227194&sr=8-1

amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT2020-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0006H92QK/ref=sr_1_7?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1469227254&sr=1-7

Hurting, like cramp, or just plain ear fatigue?

The face-ache could be due to clamping from headphones and ear fatigue can be caused by excessive peak limiting and the associated loss of dynamic range, especially if you're also employing lots of make-up gain and bombarding your ears with a constant, loud sound.

It's mostly from any sound that has any amount of edge in it, like sawtooth waves. they always just hurt and idk what am I doing wrong. I don't even have a volume set up very loud.

Wasn't talking about pain in the ears caused by clamping from headphones, but yeah, that also happens sometimes.

Anyone here willing to give a feedback on this? Do those drums work well with the other instruments just for me or?

Btw, can you guys recommend some other internet places where I can discuss music production and get feedback? It sucks to spam WIPs and wait for some answer the whole day, it's just that I have nobody to help me with this, and I can't learn from my mistakes alone.

Have you a history of sinus trouble? You might have a ENT issue that could be treated.

It might be that the sounds that are causing this have a higher harmonic content and are resonating in your Eustachian tubes, that can happen with sinusitis.

made 2 random things. just like rough ideas to test out my music theory skills.

clyp.it/rl1qpco5
clyp.it/nf2g13pk

pls feedback.

garage wip

clyp.it/1k5a54y5

I'm very new to all of this, so any feedback on composition, mixing, mastering, etc. is very appreciated. Also let me know if it's too boring.
clyp.it/0d5g3h10

Also I just realized I accidentally exported it too quiet. My b

I like ableton's workflow better but The stock plugins from logic are so damn nice. What do I do? What shit can I pirate for ableton that will make it on par with logic?

How long does it take to be pretty good at making hip hop beats? Like what we artist it doesn't matter.

How long would that process take, so it can be to a point where it's acceptable but not like fucking crazy amazing if you catch my drift.

Whatever artist*

The key to logic is to create a template project that is setup exactly how you need it to be efficient. The mixer set how you want, the tracks you might use, the tooltips you need, all this shit. And use screensets. They map the number keys to different views, tool sets, everything pretty much.

You create screensets for "recording setup", working on drums, automation, etc. At least thats what i do, and it helps.

Asked in another thread, but does anyone know where to get some good Massive presets/samples for Kontakt with a Future Bass sound? Trying to play around with some ideas I have but any synth I make following tutorials just sounds like absolute shit.

i'd say 2-3 years if u put in the work but if u wanna be consistent maybe a bit longer

how does skrillex make these random sounds? they are just miliseconds long but it's baffling me. Is he using a synth? i'm talking about exactly 3:03-3:05 those few sounds. Especially the sound at 3:04 that sounds fucking awesome. What is that shit?

youtube.com/watch?v=F21aifX0lZY

Is mixing and mastering essential to selling music and reaching out to labels? I mean I understand mixing but what about mastering ?

Never mind I've got it

Glad we could be of service

ya so nobody knows?

>Is he using a synth
samples and synths

You can start by not panning your shit all the way to the left. I like to separate my kick/snare from each other. Make both mono and pan kick slightly to the left (maybe 15% max) and snare to the right.

Then, depending on your daw, find a good tutorial on parallel compression.

Oh and roll off some of the low end on your kick.
Arrangement is good and kept me interesting, maybe have the hihats fade in at the beginning, it's kinda a harsh intro.
Maybe a few cymbals with a long tail here and there to create some more atmosphere.

Try to give each of your instruments a place in the imaginary room. Make use of panning, it's a powerful tool.

Future bass I guess.

Listen to more Garage and study it.
Chop your drums from this: mediafire.com/download/z9an48n9jb7wwc4/Garage_Breaks_for_user.rar

It's a good start to a track now you need to flesh it out.

Can somebody give some rating/10 or something for these:

I've been practicing drum mixing for the past few days and I have only a couple of these, but idk if I should focus on different aspects of prod now, or work on this more, because I can't into synths and basses very well.

Or maybe it's now the best to pick up some songs and start copying the sounds?

I don't know what you want to hear...it's just a 4 beat loop. It's fine for what it is, now make more stuff to go with it.
---

Anyone else /masochist/ here? Been making music using only Linux software. This means (because all midi shit apart from hydrogen the drum machine is shit) that all synths have to be played in properly. No quantise, no playing it in slow then speeding the pitch up, shit has to all be played live. Actually had to calm down my beer intake a bit.

Anyway this is a snippet of the backing track.
clyp.it/msajzc4x
r8, h8, etc.

Just if they sound decent enough. The mixing part, the rhythm obviously doesn't matter at the moment. But maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. I wanted to see if I were able to make a good sounding percussion because it always sounds cheap.

Yeah, you're doing fine. Keep going.

I actually do have some problems with it, nothing terrible, but I do get headaches more often than other people. I have a cold these days so it's probably even worse now. But it doesn't happen with any other music or sounds except when I mix some basses and synths so I thought the problem was really with my mixes.

literally what the fuck is mixing and mastering

check'd

pls help

my satanic trips demand answers though, seriously

musicians.about.com/od/musiciansfaq/f/mixingormaster.htm

Mixing is like making a yellow and blue become green.
Mastering is like becoming an expert in something, like aikido, chess or sewing, or getting a master's degree.
The words explain themselves, really.

clyp.it/d21jfl52

This is cringe in .wav form.

One more thing.
Have anyone had something similar? My left ear (only left) for some reason starts to itch slightly from inside when listening with my headphones, and it happens on a regular basis, multiple times a day. It's pretty weird, but I don't feel like the headphones are the reason.

Actually, I'll wear them vice versa today and see it if it still happens with my left ear.

>Unlike mastering, you can do mixing at home.
Why exactly can't you master at home?

Mastering on a proffesional level is not something you're gonna learn from YouTube tutorials and is something that takes a fuckton of expertise and hardware.

Probably.

You need to hear how it sounds in a different room setting, since you get used to the sound in your room too much, I guess (at least one of the reasons).

what do you mean by hardware?