What do you pseudo intellectuals think of hair metal...

what do you pseudo intellectuals think of hair metal? Its basically metal without the edginess and cringe associated with it (and its fanbase). I know you guys preffer post modern avant-garde punk-jazz inspired deep house field recordings, but still

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4uiqgwUs1l4
youtube.com/watch?v=YtXq-v9XoMc
youtube.com/watch?v=n4CSG5EXQbA
youtu.be/s6bYlXDx_ak
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>post modern avant-garde punk-jazz inspired deep house field recordings
I'd like to hear some of this

Even Christgau, an avowed metal hater, admitted he had a begrudging respect for Ozzy, Gene Simmons, and Dio, but not shitty bands like W.A.S.P. Fuck them.

>ozzy
>dio
>hair metal
what the fuck nigga

I mostly don't like them because my parents grew up in the 80's and didn't like them. They listened to more alternative stuff

Please reread this sentence

you in charge of reading comprehension.jpg

Nononono. He meant that even if he didn't like Ozzy et al, at least they were legitimate artists and not manufactured hair metal poseurs.

There's a different kind of edginess and cringe associated with hair metal. It's not necessarily better or worse.

I don't like hair metal. It tends to be very basic and boring.

I can't as the balls connected to the cock I'm currently sucking is partially obscuring my vision.

>tfw Pantera never re released their first album which is considered part of the Hair Metal genre
Are they embarrassed by it?

Well, yeah. Ozzy, Dio, and all them were just a bunch of guys who wanted to make cool, interesting music. Poison and W.A.S.P were guys who wanted to become "rock stars" and get on MTV.

>I mostly don't like them because my parents grew up in the 80's and didn't like them. They listened to more alternative stuff
So in other words, your parents were normal. Nobody listened to hair metal but literal children.

Why did R.E.M get big? 'Cause they sounded different. They looked like normal dudes from down the street who played slightly retro, but also completely fresh music. No leather pants, ebic solos, or huge poofy wigs needed.

I like glam metal because it still has some edginess to it.

>without the cringe
U wot

They are although being from Texas their look and sound was still not quite as effeminate as the LA glam scene.

Also FWIW, Dime peaked as a guitarist on the hair metal albums. Dunno what people see in that boring chugachug stuff on VDOP.

>I like glam metal because it still has some edginess to it.
It really doesn't though, at least not after 1985.

ESPECIALLY after 85 when WASP and other bands were trying to seem less fun and more serious.

Hair metal isn't good. just the old school version of hip hop trap scene
Has some okay songs but overall all of the albums are garbage and get boring quick.
WASP was decent

wouldn't be surprise some hipsters on here try to meme and say its good lmao

You're an illiterate backpacker, you have no insight to share.

After 85 is when glam rock just became a manufactured MTV shitshow. It was a legitimate rock movement in Reagan's first term but by the time Poison and Warrant happened...

Those bands were embarrassing and the mainstream rock scene in the late 80s was just pitifully bad. Aside from Warrant and friends, a lot of industry veterans like Kiss, Aerosmith, Dio, Priest, and Maiden were either running out of gas or converting to the Church of Bon Jovi to stay relevant.

I there any glammy metal (I refuse to say hair metal) as good as Hanoi rocks and early Kiss?

well Kiss isn't metal so there you have it.
If you want stuff that's as good as them, look for the worst glam metal bands.

>Those bands were embarrassing and the mainstream rock scene in the late 80s was just pitifully bad. Aside from Warrant and friends, a lot of industry veterans like Kiss, Aerosmith, Dio, Priest, and Maiden were either running out of gas or converting to the Church of Bon Jovi to stay relevant.
And the alternative/thrash guys weren't radio friendly.

That has to be the most forced post I've seen in my life

I don't think it's fair to compare Dressed To Kill with some album like Open Up And Say Aaahh.

The hard rock guys like Aerosmith, Heart, and Kiss all enlisted Desmond Child's help and became atrocious Bon Jovi wannabees in the late 80s while most of the older metal dudes like Dio became irrelevant as the young, exciting, fresh thrash bands took over.

>implying Aerosmith, Heart, and Kiss were ever good

The genre was conceived when some exec thought, "hm, boy bands are popular and that heavy metal thing is getting popular, how do we capitalize on that?"

Heart and Kiss have some classic shit

something about Aerosmith's early stuff always annoys me though

>he doesn't like Heart
Holy shit, this guy.

Your posts are like white noise it's hilarious

Since when was glam metal a mixture of Wet Wet Wet and Iron Maiden?

Whether you personally dislike them is irrelevant. The point is, in the 70s they were legitimate rock groups and eventually hired professional song doctors and made terribly generic radio rock that had no sound of its own and just copied every other glam rock band.

I guess Aerosmith had more rock cred than the other two (they even toured with GNR) but that doesn't make their mindless late 80s-early 90s slop any better.

Gene Simmons really pretty much hated those 80s Kiss records like Crazy Nights. He tuned out of the whole thing and only did the absolute minimum of work while spending the rest of his time producing and managing other artists and appearing in movies. That version of Kiss was really just a Paul Stanley solo act.

Motley Crue and Ratt are the only ones worth listening to.

Record concerts of the listed genres on your phone and put them together

Forgot - Alice Cooper, another old 70s has-been that DC resurrected.

Motley Crue...again started off hard, then they too jumped on the Bon Jovi bandwagon after 85.

Because it's manufactured commercial drivel

>no dokken, loudness, skidrow, wasp (do whitesnake and van halen count?l

All of those hair metal bands were exactly the fucking same.

>two songs - power ballad and squeal guitar rocker
>all same exact chord progressions
>no riffs, just power chords
>all same falsetto vocals

Is Twisted Sister the only commonly liked glam metal band?

Yeah I forgot to add Van Halen to the list of veteran rock acts who also went off the deep end in the late 80s, in their case thanks to Hammy Gaygar.

That's only because their two hits have been spammed to death in movies/TV/commercials and Dee Snider is on every other VH1 Behind The Music documentary.

Dee Snider: The mentality in the record industry has always been "If one's good, a hundred's even better." So you ended up with the W bands: the Wingers, the Warrants, the Whitesnakes, the White Lions. And it became so refined and so...processed that it became pablum (cut to clip of the video for Is This Love) Fucking idiots. And then it got even better because now every metal band starts doing acoustic sets. Thanks, Tesla. It was an unwritten rule on MTV for a while that if you didn't do an unplugged set, you weren't a serious artist. Yeah, that's real extreme. I'd like to see Tracy Chapman or Paul Simon plug in two stacks of Marshall amps and ride the lightning.

Ronnie Dio: When the MTV era started, it was hard for a lot of us, especially us older guys who came up before the video age. We had to do something we totally opposed in order to compete. It became less of a Led Zeppelin world and more of a Bon Jovi world. And then eventually you end up with these...things in makeup. (holds up copy of Look What The Cat Dragged In) That's not metal. It was a total mockery of everything we'd worked hard to build.

hair metal sucks faggot

Van Halen went off the deep end by the second track of their debut album

hate it or not, there were bands that had great songs and ballads, even with the hair and everything. Ratt and Motley are great examples of this

See earlier point on "I personally dislike X artist, so that means they're irrelevant and didn't influence anything."

I mean, come on. You go from this:

youtube.com/watch?v=4uiqgwUs1l4

To what sounds like a car commercial jingle:

youtube.com/watch?v=YtXq-v9XoMc

>there are people here who HONESTLY think hard rock and glam have any bands with any artistic credit

Literally completely manufactured and commercial sound. The ones that weren't bands that sold out to join the fad and actually started out in the genres were complete ass making easily sellable to begin with.

Hagar Van Halen was Foo Fighters before Foo Fighters. Absolutely bland, commercial rock that middle aged businessmen could listen to while working on the treadmill.

When did anyone ITT say that Poison were legit or had any artistry?

>Nobody listened to hair metal but literal children.
absolutely rich, everyone knows that hair metal was metal's commercial peak because women actually wanted to go to the shows

women are literally children you autist

Nobody ever accused women of having taste in music.

I'm not kidding. You go to a Bon Jovi show back then and it was like 85% chicks and 15% their bored af boyfriends who were wondering while they were there and not at a Slayer gig.

>Dokken

fuck yes

youtube.com/watch?v=n4CSG5EXQbA

>without the edginess and cringe associated with it
but that's half very wrong and
>implying that doesn't make it worse

>i'm autistic because I don't resent women and their desire to be social and have a good time
i'm listening to fucking glitch rn, I'm not some warrant stan. but there's totally a function for this music that you guys have missed completely or developed some kind of sense of superiority for disdaining.

Then why is Metallica the highest selling metal band of all time?

Hair metal is metal for teenage girls. If you're a man and unironically like it you're more cringe inducing than the neckbeards who listen to Slayer.

youtu.be/s6bYlXDx_ak
Lynch so underrated
whatever you say bud

no superiority it's just shit. I enjoy grunge and dadrock
but nothing about hair metal is good. just a cash cow to trick dumb women

Because they sold-out. Their 90s albums have more in common with Creed than Kill 'Em All.

I fucking love how hating glam metal with a seething rage always comes down to misogyny.

Nobody gives a fuck if you don't like hooky pop metal jfc it's 30 years old

Or, I should say normalfag women. I mean, yeah, my sister's been to Hatebreed shows, but there's always those exceptions.

You type like you're a 40 year old man and that's seriously worrying

>misogyny
>mfw hair metal fans are so desperate they have to resort to tumblr tier arguments

>hatebreed
Thats even worse that normalfaggorty

So deathcore and all that junk is just the modern equivalent right?

nah my gf hates hair metal also. try again bb

She was listening to 90s alternative rock in grade school. Most girls just listened to N*Sync or something like that. Also she was aware that Green Day had albums before AI while 90% of her classmates in high school...did not.

So patrician dude, has she been tested for autism?

Please give us your definition of "patrician".

Don't even bother. He just got done saying 5 posts ago that Warrant is patrician and if you don't like them or Bon Jovi that you're an /r9k/core misogynist.

something that one listens soley to appear sophisticated, in this case on an irritrean fufu coocking forum
>implying implications
that wasnt me lad

I'm not the person who listens to sped-up Diana Ross to appear sophisticated.

tfw op is retarded