Local DIY bands

What are your favorite local DIY bands/musicians?

I just saw this boston-based experimental metal band called DENT at a house show recently and they absolutely blew me away. I was shocked to see how few people have listened to their music.

Give it a listen here:
dentband.bandcamp.com/album/eyeballs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q0kl-gQucpI
youtube.com/watch?v=WYaYvTxXEjw
jacobhutto.bandcamp.com/album/paw-paws-songs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nice cover

not listening to that though

Where was this house show may I ask

I actually saw them in philly, not Boston. But they're playing tomorrow night at Elk's lodge in Cambridge

>381 scrobbles
>39 listeners

yeah, not gonna listen to that shit. anything i hear about on Sup Forums without having heard about it somewhere else first (tinymixtapes at the least) is viral marketing to me.

listen to music that other people don't already listen to first, anons. 9 out of 10 times it's viral marketing.

This isn't an attempt at viral marketing. I literally just saw this band 2 nights ago and think they deserve more listeners, thats all there is to it

You took the time to look up their last.fm stats but refuse to listen to them, and assume OP is shilling?

Maybe I'm just old but this place is getting fucking stupid

I saw a noise rock band called Wounded Deer at a barn show that were fucking unbelievable. Best DIY band I've seen

yeah, you're probably an oldfaggot and don't realize how viralling has taken over Sup Forums. artists don't want to put in the work for proper advertising and want to trick you into listening to their music.

What a retarded logic though, and be found so many good bands that are not known by listening to random bandcamps. Not everyone with talent is popular. I assume you don't play in a band?

This is pretty fucking great dude, I would agree that they need more lsiteners. The vocalist reminds me a lot of a local Cambridge band called Bent Knee (whoa re fucking fantastic by the way):

youtube.com/watch?v=q0kl-gQucpI

I have seen these guys at least 7 times at basement shows. So good.

>and want to trick you into listening to their music

Dude the bands that play at house shows like that are usually really small. Just because it doesn't have a lot of listeners doesn't mean it's viral marketing, that's just the way it goes.

And even so, who gives a fuck? They could be really good and you'd be missing out.

i assume you're in a band? and you've posted about that band, pretending to be a fan? fuck off m8

Lighten up my dude

kys

This is pretty dope, thanks for the rec

No I've never posted it on mu because people would just ridicule it but my point is you might be missing out on really good music with that mentality. Not a big deal though to each their own

(you)

>experimental psychedelic hardcore metal
Dropped
Tell them to get their own fucking sound and learn to be creative
Most generic boring shit I've ever heard

pretty scum quality bait t b h

Genuinely curious, what are some bands that have the same sound?

Spotted the non-musician with no experience working with Bandcamp. When you upload an album on Bandcamp and need to put tags to your album, it's not always easy. especially when you're in a new band that's feeling around for its sound.

not bait, it really is bad
Their approach is bloated and not very original. Just like all the other "experimental rock" bands on bandcamp, they throw too many ideas in one track and are seemingly uninterested in writing songs
And I'll kill the next person who thinks that metal and hardcore punk aren't opposed genres

another great one:

youtube.com/watch?v=WYaYvTxXEjw

dark as fuck

I'd agree that some of the tracks are a little all over the place, but did you listen to Everything Jingles? That to me sounds like a really cohesive song that just builds and gets noisier towards the end

Not bad desu

>I'll kill the next person who thinks that metal and hardcore punk aren't opposed genres
>The Melvins
>Nails
>Soundgarden

I think Everything Jingles is mediocre too. Noise doesn't really make a song interesting or good or experimental. Noisy rock has been around for a long time and it's sort of time to stop pretending that it's appeal is anything beyond novelty.
Metal is about power, punk is about anger. Listen to enough of both and you'll see what I mean.

>power and anger can't mix in music

W E W
E
W

this is a local LA band that i saw once a few months ago, love their album. check it out, "Haxel Princess"

Would like to bone all three of them desu

Holy shit do you even make music? These are such pleb opinions

I think when a band has several million listens on spotify and plays huge festivals you can't really call them a local DIY band anymore, not to say that they aren't good though.

Very funny.
I hate that people imagine that punk and metal have any similarities in anything beyond both being distorted rock.
Metal is usually technical and aims to cultivate an aesthetic of power. It's opposed to everything punk because punk is much closer to regular rock and roll and attitudinally is about losing and not having power.
I actually do. Only a musician with a deep understanding of music could have my patrician opinions.

Metal is usually technical? Really? I'd like to know where you're getting this idea!

>Metal is usually technical? Really? I'd like to know where you're getting this idea!
More technical than most other genres of rock besides prog.

>metal is usually technical
>opposed to everything punk
>reducing a genre's entire aesthetic to its lyrical attitudes
man, your underage is showing really bad. you might want to lurk here for a few more months before posting these pleb as fuck opinions and debasing yourself in front of people. it's really sad to watch honestly.

For my own sanity I'm going to pray that this is on a level of irony that I just can't grasp

Being this retarded and jaded

It's funny how defensive you are. People are only this defensive when they know they've lost the argument.
My opinions are right and you know it. Metal and punk's aesthetics are completely opposed and you'd understand that if you ever bothered to learn about the roots of both genres.
And nobody ever "rebutted" my opinion on noise.

they only really tour SoCal

it's probably not. there are at least two people in this thread that are genuinely underage sperg b&.

Moved to Denton recently, any info about the scene and all? Personal favorites of the locals? Regular house shows? Advice for a band who's starting to play out there?

>you'd understand that if you ever bothered to learn about the roots of both genres.

I literally play in a metal band, this is why I'm the one who knows what they're talking about

>I literally play in a metal band, this is why I'm the one who knows what they're talking about
What about punk rock? I run a punk rock-type band.

really just retarded

So clearly that makes you an authority on all matters metal, then? Man it is so obvious that you are lying or baiting now. SO obvious.

>punk rock-type band

Either way you need to find better things to do with your time, m80. I'm out, this is getting full blown downs syndrome in here

> this entire thread

>So clearly that makes you an authority on all matters metal, then? Man it is so obvious that you are lying or baiting now. SO obvious.
No, I'm not. Why are you so angry about my opinion? I've listened to lots of metal. Metal stems from the counterculture, it's attitudinally anti-punk. Metal-punk crossovers are either fast metal or heavy punk. But it's all about attitude. You're either one or the other.
>Either way you need to find better things to do with your time, m80. I'm out, this is getting full blown downs syndrome in here
Here you see the autistic metalhead in his natural habitat. His fear of contrarianism and iconoclasm extends, predictably, to his dislike of punk.

To be honest i'm with this nigga. I listened a lot of metal when i was 14 (whew) and now i have a mediocre punk rock band and dude, they're both different genres even when you play it in a guitar.

> dislike of punk
My second love, m8 lol

But to say they aren't similar and don't influence each other at all is retarded

I live in the suburbs surrounding NYC so there isn't any real bands or musicians from my town just some chick that does singer songwriter
Music and some faggot that raps on his soundcloud

They influence each other sometimes, but again, metal is about power and punk is about lacking it. That's a bit of on oversimplified quip but it gets the message across.
For example, Flipper is a band that sort of exists between the two genres in sound. They're heavy and relatively slow, but they're also punk to the core. While the Melvins are unquestionably heavy metal, because they share with it the "power" aesthetic.
Punk is more similar to 50s rock and roll in attitude than metal, a product of the countercultural revolt against rock and roll. Punk was counter-countercultural, and thus metal and punk sort of exist in different worlds.

>see post count in catalog
wow, must be come good DIY acts being posted, looks promising!
>it's all arguing about how punk and metal are or arent opposites
fuck

well I heard a good record by a guy i'll be seeing perform soon, here's that:
jacobhutto.bandcamp.com/album/paw-paws-songs

and as for the punk/metal argument, there is so much crossover it's not even funny. grindcore and closely related genres are so deeply entrenched in both metal and punk attitudes and themes