>i think s/t is overrated
so do I. especially in England culturally

>taking the bait

How was spring break?

I guess, but it's still dickish

Wow this thread is shit.

This
>I only like punk if it's pretentious and arty because im an insecure faggot
Wanna know why nobody cares about the Ramones around here? Because the Ramones are ironically stupid but most Sup Forumstants are too dumb too see the joke

Marquee Moon is the only good album out of those. The rest are European pretentiousness at display or a ripoff of European pretentiousness at display.

rym is wrong

Wrong again.

there are actually three good albums on there

can you guess which ones they are though?

>marquee moon
>not the most pretentious album on that list

yes that is what i said

Marquee Moon
Marquee Moon
Marquee Moon

>complexity always equates to pretentiousness
>not 'look at us we are doing simple composition but we are "artsy" so we are above anyone else that does similar stuff'
Television's just a band that initially sucked at their instruments, but tried new stuff as they got better. The rest of the bands took an established idea and tried to play it in a certain way as to appear 'artistic'.

*Marquee Moon
Pink Flag
Deceit

remember, most popular Manchester punk and jangle pop is garbo

Wire are the best on that chart by far

None of the others managed to capture any aggression that punk was about and Television, Smiths, JD and Interpol made music for art school kids but never actually bothered to challenge those kids in any way musically, just catered to them with light pop music, except for Joy Division maybe but I don't think I can attribute that to the band.

This Heat actually captured some potent anxiety in their music but that's all they captured. It's an album of a singular emotion, which isn't bad at all but the direction of the anxiety is so specific to that time it doesn't hold up as well. I can't blame it for that but it's difficult to understand the message and emotions its trying to convey in these times.

Wire absolutely nailed everything first try though and when they went to art school pandering later they actually tried to engage their audience and challenge them and they managed to write some stellar pop songs in that period as well.

i don't think capturing punk's aggression was what JD was going for, to be fair. at least, not on their studio albums.

they took its simplistic structure not as a stylistic choice but as a result of their own incompetency and instead used its minimalism to make something stikingly tormented and misanthropic. JD took punk and turned its rebellious angst into a more moody direction.

If you have the time listen to Warsaw.
tbf to them they wanted a punk direction but then decided that was dumb or something and then went into the studio with Martin Hannett to create Unknown Pleasures, I can't really attribute their sound to them but they definitely wanted something different and Hannett was the one to get them there.

>Wire absolutely nailed everything first try though and when they went to art school pandering later they actually tried to engage their audience and challenge them and they managed to write some stellar pop songs in that period as well.
>Wire challenged their audience by sounding like early Pink Floyd
wew lad

lol more like Eno actually but I can see where you're coming from

I'm not a massive fan of Wire myself but I give credit where its due and 154 is much more challenging than nearly every other post-punk album I've listened to
And unfortunately I've listened to a lot

>punk has to be fast paced three chord songs
Are we gonna forget that Television brings more crazy rhythmic stuff than any of those bands above? Not to mention that punk has always had its roots among the "art school kids" and Marquee Moon was definitely challenging in that sense being totally non blues based guitar playing done by two guys who just sucked ass at the instrument and were determined to get better.

>154 is much more challenging than nearly every other post-punk album I've listened to

What other post-punk albums would you say were as challenging?

Cause I'd say This Heat's work would qualify for that, if only by being super abstract

I can't believe you made a chart called meme punk and you didn't put Cardiacs on it

What a shame

5/6 of those albums deserve all the acclaim they get

Really weak bait OP

Better luck next time fag

I'm guessing the one is Interpol?

And you would be wrong. TOTBL is the only truly great album to come out of the post-punk revival.

What's the point of responding to bait when you know that it's bait unless it's behind some layer of irony which, at that point, you are "pretending to be retarded".

>he thinks rym is the bible

then what album do you think is undeserving of the critical acclaim it receives

it's not like rym is wrong in this, post-punk as a secondary genre isn't that far off
there's a big difference between primary and secondary genres in rym though, so smiths still isn't post-punk

>punk has to be fast paced three chord songs
Are we gonna forget that Television brings more crazy rhythmic stuff than any of those bands above?
Not at all and the thing is you already have prog rock bands for that shit, honestly listening to Marquee Moon makes me feel like I could just listen to something by Yes.
And on the kind of art kid level Patti Smith managed to make much more aggressive music that catered to the same demographic.
Don't get me wrong though, Patti Smith doesn't get a pass either, she made music that fucking stinks of "rich kid wants to punk too", I love Horses but that's undeniable.
She and Television saw punk as a way to slingshot their notions of rebellion into a readily participating crowd, they didn't try to evolve in any way and both stagnated horribly when punk died.

The most borderline autistic opinion I have about post punk is that only Wire meet the requirements of being a post punk band. Since they were there when punk happened, they were there to watch it go south and they were there to pick up the pieces and staple them together.

This Heat were all members of prog rock bands and never had anything to do with punk, Pop Group just wanted to be a funk band and were sort of forced by their musical skill to become a punk band with funk influences and the rest were either goth bands in spirit (like JD) or airy pop bands that had punk influences (YMG and Chameleons).

Obviously though this isn't true and I have to admit to just being biased.

But calling something like This Heat's s/t (which has some great tracks on it) post-punk is just pointless to me, yeah its kind of challenging but it has nothing to do with punk rock, neither does Deceit for the same reason.

The closest they came to a full on post-punk release was that EP they had but in my mind that's just because it sounds musically emblematic of punk.

>the Marquee Moon is basically prog meme
Holy shit, wtf you can't be real with this shit. Prog doesn't have chords like Marquee Moon does. Prog doesn't do that kind of rhythmic stop start erratic guitar work that influenced the rest of punk and even non-punk bands like Slint and Radiohead that Television does. Musical complexity doesn't automatically equate to prog. Television's approach to making music is far more punk than prog.

>UP: 5/10
>MM: 9/10
>Deceit: 7/10
>TQID: 6/10
>TOTBL: 9/10
>PF: 8/10

>Prog doesn't do that kind of rhythmic stop start erratic guitar work that influenced the rest of punk and even non-punk bands like Slint and Radiohead that Television does.
Yeah that's fair, I don't think they were that much of an influence to punk rock but sure why not. Despite Friction though its apparent they were simply using punk for their own ends, musically and even emotionally they had their heads turned towards the ideas of The Velvet Underground and even Lou reed at the time.
It's not really a punk music thing in the end, it's more of a punk ideals thing.

queen is dead?