So why exactly is Jimi Hendrix credited as being the greatest rock guitarist of all time again?

So why exactly is Jimi Hendrix credited as being the greatest rock guitarist of all time again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Au_mGhAY-7A?t=1m32s
youtube.com/watch?v=BRE3kjL3Yjg
youtube.com/watch?v=gjJzlIedCuo
youtube.com/watch?v=C-5RjH686uU
youtube.com/watch?v=_PVjcIO4MT4
youtube.com/watch?v=IZBlqcbpmxY
youtube.com/watch?v=rwpi6vkiAgA
youtube.com/watch?v=6S_j_gwD8aE
youtube.com/watch?v=lKzgOHK3y-0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJw_XqvsSIs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cuz fuck you that's why

He invented "the guitar solo" of course

Because he did the 'widdly-widdly-woo' guitar solo style before anyone else had enough bad taste to.

Drug fueled crazy spastic guitar solos and a flambouyant performance style contrasted by his humble and quirky personality.

Influence. He's the guy that made everyone want to grab a strat and become a lead guitarist.

He was the first one, his music was revolutionary for the time, and most of it still holds up today really well. Furthermore, his live performances were what set him apart from the others, not studio albums, something people seem to forget these days. People have reinvented the style he started and some even did it better, but to this day, there is still nobody who can do jimi the way jimi did jimi.
Also these

youtu.be/Au_mGhAY-7A?t=1m32s

skip to 1:32

because he was one of the greatest guitarists of all time
/thread

Because he bent that strat over and fucked it sideways until it screamed.

youtube.com/watch?v=BRE3kjL3Yjg
he expanded the expressive vocabulary of the instrument with the use of effects, feedback, etc. and did it with such undeniable style.

I'm in the studio right now, a blues trio I'm playing with recorded 3 Hendrix tunes for a YouTube cover series thing and they're so much fun to play. You can take the Jazz approach to playing in his music which is play what you feel at the moment and every pass around the form is just a little different. Lots of fun, I like his shit and he was one of the first if not the first of his kind.

He's the only nigger that can actually play a guitar

He invented dadrock as we know it today

Who told you it was OK to leave Sup Forums?

prince > jimi hendreddit

Not only through influence and live performances, but he was a spectacular guitarist. So much so that he could flip the guitar around and play it in the opposite orientation. His style was unique and finely attuned to him, using the guitar more like a voice than an instrument and making it almost impossible to really imitate, but even besides guitar he always went beyond his way to innovate in the studio, playing around with direction, speed, and really stretched his instrument to the max of what it was capable of... and it was good. Now that's greatness.

Reminder that Eric Clapton was better but because liberals love overinflating the importance of the few black people that aren't failures, he's become overrated as fuck despite being decent

Clapton can play a mean blues solo and is one of my biggest inspirations. But I never heard him play a groovy rhythm like Jimi does on Little Wing.

Because Jimi Hendrix innovated on an instrumented more in a few years than anybody did for years, and that's more so because of his sound engineer. All the wahs and distortion and fun effects were pretty new by the time Jimi came around. It isn't to say things like distortion and the likes didn't exist (because they did) but Hendrix took it to another fucking level. It comes out a LOT in his live albums. He basically created the guitar sound modification movement that took a firm grasp on modern music today. I would say his biggest characteristic was the wah effect, but certainly firmly planted a lot of other sounds.

Beyond that, Jimi was still a musical genius. He possessed a very jazzy understanding of music, and got very intimiate with bringing those sounds into his music. But the way he implemented them was very modern and before it's time. You just didn't find people doing that before Hendrix. The guy would just fucking wail on his instrument when he got into it. It was very bluesy, energetic, and unique.

And of course, probably the most important thing is what a damn good performer he was. I can talk about his lesser known blues work, his guitar sound, or his complete mastery of the guitar, but at the end of the day, he was just a fucking great performer. He let fucking loose like all musicians did when not on TV or in the studio. He played guitar with his teeth, lit it on fire, tripped the fuck out on stage (Very popular in this time period), played it behind his back, all these crazy fucking things drove crowds wild. Word of mouth was a LOT more powerful back then than it was today, because that was the way people communicated. It was a different era from now, and it's frankly hard for most of us to really get that because none of us were fucking around.

tl;dr because he was noticed first and did it really fucking well

Aside from being a genuinely great musician, he utterly revolutionized how people played and viewed guitar. He pioneered the concept of being a truly great creator of music with only mediocre skills in an instrument. He wasn't accurate, he wasn't articulate, he wasn't a virtuoso by any stretch of the imagination, and he proved you needed literally none of that shit to be a great musician, despite the rabid denial from purists and elitist. He crossed the boundary between folk and classical.

He isn't the first actually
Look up guitar slim my uninitiated friend

that title belongs to django reinhardt

this

clapton is shitty in comparison

you disgusting faggot

Because he's black. Social justice.

Clapton's playing is so bland and soulless. He doesn't put the emotion into it that Jimi does.

Hendrix even decried the assertion that he was the best guitar ever.

Knopfler is pretty damn good: youtube.com/watch?v=gjJzlIedCuo

So's Yngwie: youtube.com/watch?v=C-5RjH686uU

>Yngwie

God no! I hate that wanker with a passion.

is this even is a question?

listen to his music. specifically axis bold as love. specifically if 6 was 9 and little wing. jimi hendrix made sounds you didn't even think were possible on an electric guitar. his music makes you feel high even if you're completely sober. he examined every instance and element of the electric guitar very thoroughly in a very short career. he inspired pretty much every guitarist ever, including me. he was the highest paying performer of his time, and probably still today. he literally is a god.

what else is there to say? he was the chosen one.

have you seen him play live ?

he's amazing

I'm gonna take the bait but this is so fucking ignorant

Your dubs are nicer than Clapton's playing

Blacks play music with a lot of soul. White people cheapen everything they steal from the black man.

I don't agree with that label and neither did he,
everyone knows Eddie Hazel beat him at his own game, but his music was still amazing so even if he isn't the best who cares?

i've yet to hear a blackie play guitar like django reinhardt. maybe you all have a hard time referencing him because you can't spell all that too good:/

>Blacks play music with a lot of soul. White people cheapen everything they steal from the black man.

hendrix played with a white drummer and bassist

not true, but culture does play big part
anglo bands are going for more of a prog thing
spanish people play flamenco and shit for their pain
crooners and old irish people are really good (Van Morrison for example)
soul isn't like that, but white nerdy ass people tend to be derided more than nigs without rhythm
Jimi Hendrix is the best ever because of his use of distortion and other effects, as well as his profound intuitive understanding of music which wasn't a far cry from being an incredibly competent one on the level of say, Miles Davis. It would be inaccurate to say that he wasn't a fantastic musician by any measure.

Technically, he obviously isn't the best, maybe not top 100, but if you know anything about life, music, art whatever, you know that jerkin' it doesn't matter in the least sense.

He put so much soul into his work and he married the psychedelic with blues, and you can hear echoes of Bach and other "perfect" music in things like little wing, it almost feels divine.

He introduced the magic of distorting the sound of the guitar to achieve abstract sounds and break barriers for Rock music in an artistic sense not since replicated.

He was a true genius, and that's what makes him better than any of the wankers or beautiful players later on even.

+Like others said he had an electric personality and was a great performer

the fact that...

fucking born his guitar

Prince jacked his whole aesthetic.

how do you guys feel about carlos?

literally who

santana

i prefer him

He jacked it from Little Richard, plebe.

This and also he was the first person to use effects in the way he did. He wasn't the first for wah or the first for fuzz but, he fucking owned them and he was the first to experiment so heavily with effects like he did.

>Eric Clapton was better
Maybe he was a better player, but Cream were lame as fuck. Hendrix's music is still some of the sexiest shit out.

Bait? Clapton has told a story on multiple occasions of Jimi playing a song that Eric found difficult while he played the guitar behind his back, with his teeth and while making love to the guitar.

literally who?

youve got to change your baiting ways, user

This is true. Jimi's fucking great for a different era. I'd say both of them are on the same level, as far as revolution but, they did totally different things to the sound.

He was super modest, dude. Everyone that knew him always said that he would get on stage and be ridiculous with his guitar but, off stage, he was a little more introverted and modest. He loved guitar and he loved his women, he'd flirt his ass off. Also, side note, Jimi sounds like fucking Top Cat from the cartoon in interviews.

Sorta overrated but also really fucking good. Have mixed feelings.

He was one with the guitar.

Anyone can do that, the Hey Joe solo is easy as shit

Prince stole little Richards charm and stage presence, Hendrix's flair and Marc Bolans style

shut the fuck up whore.

Clapton is literally Robert Johnson on an electric guitar

Amongst famous guitarists, Prince is regarded as the best to ever play.

Clapton himself admitted Hendrix was a better guitar player. In comparison, he and George Harrison both talked about how they don't like Neil Young's playing, so I don't think he's one to lie about his tastes.

There's a story that when Miles Davis and Hendrix were jamming together once (they were friends towards the end of Hendrix's life) Davis was trying to explain some of the more complex elements of jazz to Hendrix but Hendrix already had an understanding of everything Davis was saying, he just didn't know the names.

That is so insane that Hendrix was able to teach himself the finer concepts for his instrument.

>Maybe he was a better player, but Cream were lame as fuck.
Fucking backwards. Clapton was fucking boring compared to Hendrix but cream were still amazing and pretty much the only time Clapton was really worth listening to.

>it's the nigger meme again

Because unlike contrarians who wank over technical skill, a lot of people measure music by how much they enjoy it.

???

Yeah he is going to admit he is the better its not like he will end up looking like a asshole or something

And he did it with missing fingers.
Also made Tony Iommi to get back practicing guitar playing after the industrial accident.

I think Clapton is a near-perfect blues player and formally a better guitarist than Hendrix, but Hendrix revolutionized rock guitar and played shit that Clapton never could. Without Hendrix I don't think we would have Black Sabbath, Funkadelic, Sonic Youth, MBV, etc.
Nah, Clapton's playing is amazing on Bluesbreakers, and Layla is his greatest work overall. Cream had some great songs but their live stuff tended to be pretty indulgent. Crossroads has maybe my favorite solo of all time though

that Yngwie video gave me cancer. The only thing I really like about him is his vibrato and his ability to write great themes

i miss stevie RV, MJ & prince, these are the only (dead) modern day artists that come close to Jimi. At least we still have Joe Sat.

hendrix was just something else
someone else in this thread said it already i think but it's like guitar was just too easy for him, or like it was made for him. that's what hours of practice a day does for you folks

youtube.com/watch?v=_PVjcIO4MT4

Starting a song with MOTHERFUCKING TRITONES

διάβολος ιν μουσιkή

>people can watch this vid and ACTUALLY ask why hendrix was considered such a great guitarist

He used feedback in a way that nobody else did at the time, with complete control over it.

he should have hired a singer desu

Purple Haze is the song you're thinking of

Though Hendrix is a brilliant guitarist and he deserves all the praise he got, his fame comes more from his image that is burned into the conscience of the public that really upholds his fame as a "rock god". Not so much his playing.

>Not so much his playing.
dude
youtube.com/watch?v=IZBlqcbpmxY

this cover is great: youtube.com/watch?v=rwpi6vkiAgA

All this. There really is no underestimating how influential Hendrix was as a musician. If he never picked up a guitar, rock as we know it would look very different. Take him out of the equation and you'll also be losing John Frusciante, Joe Walsh, Steve Vai, Prince, Joe Satriani, Robert Fripp, Pat Methany, Ritchie Blackmore, John Squire, Zakk Wylde, Lenny Kravitz, Eddie Van Halen, and countless others.

>tfw rock would have been much better without hendrix

Jimi was a amazing guitarist, I'd personally rank him as one of the best but his reputation made him more well known than his paying (especially today).

what do you think his reputation was based on?

kek
>considering choice between world with Jimi and Lenny Kravitz, Van Halen, or world without either

superior guitarists comin through
youtube.com/watch?v=6S_j_gwD8aE
youtube.com/watch?v=lKzgOHK3y-0

m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJw_XqvsSIs
Really fantastic song by Hendrix and Buddy Miles.