What album is completely unlistenable because of shit production, loudness wars, etc

What album is completely unlistenable because of shit production, loudness wars, etc.

Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HMuCjzKwi5o
youtube.com/watch?v=ULw1RHHPv5g
mega.nz/#!zFpAEbbJ!iQ0_ojvb8uBqoNNw7LRWjeRm3yBg3-3a1B_YPnMAoNY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The 2013 remaster makes it actually listenable and good though

I've listened the original too much, I hate 2013 remaster.

>completely unlistenable
I liked it

Songwriting's not the issue with the album for me.
It's just mixed like shit. Everything is SO. GOD. DAMN. LOUD.

get a vinyl rip, thank me later. of course it won't fix the issue 100% but you'll get rid of the clipping and stuff

I can't fucking stand Tyler, The Creator

This along with 'Obsessed by Cruetly' by Sodom, WTF were these assholes thinking. The ironic thing is that both bands released EP's prior to their debut albums that had far superior production.

I'll take the rec, but if you're wrong I'll tear your scrotum off and hang it from a little clothesline I've fashioned inbetween Flea's tooth gap.

Best album of their career + shit production = fuck my ass

The Iggy and Bruce remaster, especially with headphones, which is what I was listening with.
I bought the deluxe edition just because it had the original mix.

just turn down the volume lol

10/10 rec. I'll go right ahead and do that.

californication was pretty shit in terms of songwriting too
"Otherside" what a joke of a song lmao

is this the one that was pressed to LP? (with no CD equivilant?) If so, I have a rip of that and it sounds quite nice actually.

youtube.com/watch?v=HMuCjzKwi5o

"Comeback" my arse. This album sounds like demos mixed at home, artificial and not finished.

Truth

People hail this as the """"best rush album since counterparts/grace under pressure/signals/etc"""" but I can't fucking hear anything on it

it's so shit, the guitar and vocals drown out everything else and the tone of the guitar is terrible, it sounds soft as well as drowned out, the vynl version of this is tolerable but this is an absolute shit redo of the self titled cassette tape ep

*cassette tape lp, my bad

how did he change it from bowies?

nah that is a GREAT song

>the best RHCP song
>pathetic tbqh

slightly off-topic, but anyone know a good documentary about the loudness wars?

This, what the fuck was Albini thinking. It might be a good album, but honestly its unlistenable for me because of the shitty production.

the title track is just the worst

red hot chilli peppers are a one trick pony, fucking sick of their mediocre shit that '90s' kid praise like the second coming of christ

Oh God, that album. For years in the late 90s you could turn on the radio and be absolutely certain you would hear a totally bland song from it in the next twenty minutes.

Unfortunately this

>one trick pony

They've been going on pretty strong for about 20 years, m8. Seems like you're just bitter.

>strong for about 20 years
This has to be b8

Can someone explain all of these terminologies to me? What does clipping mean? Or loudness wars? Or brick walling?

I have a keen ear, I played clarinet for years, and I was in both school bands for 8ish years. I have pretty damn acute hearing.

Yet out of the hundreds upon hundreds of albums I've listened to, I've never listened to something and thought "man this sounds brickwalled as fuck" or "the production on this really sucks".

I often feel like people have no idea what they are talking about. At least I'll admit to not knowing shit about audio production.

What about The Strokes' Is This It? I don't normally notice production either, but that one sounds like listening to a band playing in the room next door by putting a tin can against the wall. Not a loudness wars thing though- apparently it's an aesthetic choice. Confuses the bejaysus out of me.

If you listened to any song from American Idiot, you'd understand what brickwalling is.

From what I've read brickwalling is just when a change in dynamic is affected by increasing the overall volume of the track. When you make it overall louder, the quiet points will do so, but the already loud sections do not

this here, unfortunately. i really love his music, but this album from the 90s just sound like crap.

pic related a million times.
i mean, wtf i can't understand shit

now that the hype has died down i think we can agree tyler the memeator is not a good musician

This album is ruined by there being an inexplicable and ill-fitting cymbal crash at the end of EVERY track.

yeah gee like i dont know how he could justify releasing it in this state
its literally unlistenable, not because the music is bad just the sound quality fuck

I've listened to that album dozens of times. I quite enjoy it. I've never noticed anything. I do have great headphones too.

People talk about Death Magnetic and how terrible it sounds, and I'm a pretty avid Metallica fan, but I never noticed anything at all. Just sounded like music to me.

Honestly only heard it like once. I don't really remember.

> I know nothing about audio production so neither does anyone else

The loudness wars were (and still are) when producers realized that they could amp up the volume of the individual tracks on a mix to make the ENTIRE thing sound louder, and in their logic, louder = better. And maybe at the time that was true, but it acted like an arms race (thus the wars) and it just got worse, and worse, and worse.

There's a pretty layman's section about in David Byrne's book "How Music Works"

The biggest notable victims of the Loudness Wars are most of the early 00's alternative scene, shit like Californication (I'm OP) and virtually every Oasis album.

This is correct.

Also, clipping is when an sound is actually too loud for the microphone/speaker to handle so it cuts out.

Also Daveed Digg's rap group.

ITT; dumbasses who think they know more than professional audio engineers

Speaking of the stones. Is this shit normal, or is my copy fucked up?

> more than professional audio engineers
No one said that. Also no one here even claimed to be a professional audio engineer so.

...AJF

Funeral is sort of frustrating because of the amateur production. The vocals are never loud enough and there are sometimes too many instruments playing similar frequencies, which equals the album sounding "muddy". It's really not that bad but the songwriting is amazing and it's a shame that the production doesn't do it justice

Also, every Death Grips album, but we already know this

...AJFA*

I really love the sound of this, what makes it unlistenable for you?

I still like the album and get why he put so much emphasis on the guitars, but fucking hell they're so front in the mix they completely overpower everything. That and the drums are basically inaudible outside of the cymbals.
It's just odd as Torn Beyond Reason nailed production being modern-ish without becoming too clean or overproduced with the possible exception of the cymbals.

does iamamiwhoami have good production in your opinion? it is my favourite band

Interesting thing to listen, the Spector wall of sound technique which preceded the loudness wars. It's most notable and at it's most horrible in this: youtube.com/watch?v=ULw1RHHPv5g - just feel the denseness.

Phil Spector is also one of the (many) reasons why Let It Be is such a horribly produced album.

He also killed Lana Clarkson, so there's that.

Fuck Phil Spector.

>always wondered why they never did a remaster of it to just make shit audible
>"oh yeah we lost the masters lol, soz"
Fuck

gr8 b8 m8

Just remix that shit then, wtf Metallica
You were able to hand over the multitracks for Guitar Hero ffs

Ok i've always noticed this and there's nothing about it on the internet. Why does "JET" sound so bad? The best version I can find still is like AM-radio tier sound quality. It's like they recorded the whole thing with the gain turned all the way up, but then the rest of the songs on the album have very good production for the 70s.

I dunno man
Even the guy who did "And Justice For Newstead" or whatever it was managed to make a better mix.

wat

In honor of this thread

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication "unmastered"

>a leaked release candidate of the album with a very different mix with less clipping

mega.nz/#!zFpAEbbJ!iQ0_ojvb8uBqoNNw7LRWjeRm3yBg3-3a1B_YPnMAoNY

>coz of loudness wars
definetly Adele and Weeknd, the vocals are way too fucking loud compared to everything else it´s just very bad mixing

the point is to entertain not to cause permanent ear damage

Either you get the overly-reverbed original mix or the Devonshire Mixes from the 2011 reissue and their shitty mastering

pick your poison

You kidding us? The remaster is fucking incredible. The Bowie mix did not do that album justice.

Jesus, that's a drastic difference.

Not bait, literally shit production through and through.

>recorded using a laptop's pinhole mic
>then the masters were lost
>all that's left is the 128kbps version

This is definitely on purpose. I think it sounds great. Reminds me of Boris albums.

Holy fuck this is loud

It's lo-fi but it works. It's not brick walled or poorly mastered (not really mastered at all) like some albums are, it holds up at both low and high volumes due to the dynamics. Kind of muddy at some points but still good for an album with such ghetto self-production.
Ambersmoke on the other hand is an example of doing the same thing very very wrong

All of the newer Danzig albums since Glenn's vocals sound like he's in another room

>(not really mastered at all)
This isn't a good thing. I used to think this, but having at least some compression on the tracks cleans things up a little bit.

Aside from that I agree with most of your post. The Unnatural World on the other hand, has great production.

A ton of "modern-sounding" metal albums are unlistenable.
There's an extremely fine line between everything being nice and loud, compressed, and clean and being totally unable to hear what's going on past a wall of noise.
The Flesh Prevails and Periphery III come to mind

this money making meme has awful mastering compared to the original cds and the atlantic remasters (which arent that great)

>A ton of "modern-sounding" metal albums are unlistenable.

A lot of metal producers are boneheads when it comes to production.

shit quality or not, i fell in love with this album

Is this legit? To my it's only a bit less loud and it's quite positive difference

>red hot chilli peppers are a one trick pony,
this opinion is how you separate the people who actually listen to music from the people who just listen for gay feels. The former appreciate RHCP. Nick Cave is included in this btw.

The CD version is also sped up a bit, that's why the guitars sound like they're played half a step higher