/prod/ - Music Production General

Post the tracks you're working on and HELP OTHER PEOPLE.
Learn how to make leads and why your DAW of choice is crap.

Remember to:
>use clyp.it for WiPs
>give all soundcloud kids the silent treatment

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NH-5aUFoF9g
clyp.it/mxdq11ph
clyp.it/jxbxlxsl
youtube.com/watch?v=-IPxxeb-4gk
youtube.com/watch?v=KZZocG2IByo
soundcloud.com/brodiebanky/honeysuckle-featministu
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5204469
clyp.it/uadjcakx
clyp.it/drmo1wdu
clyp.it/0pgfynmo
soundcloud.com/scrimzoola
clyp.it/vjktedwc
youtube.com/watch?v=Nnhf-KM_NqM
yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNlciK_2qCA
clyp.it/aeahz5on
youtube.com/watch?v=q2E3ifOjFmE
clyp.it/yt23jg43
clyp.it/oawd1tml
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Book_Collection
clyp.it/pubfyujs
clyp.it/rfjgbygj
youtu.be/mbgPZMvVmWw
clyp.it/5mfkdwyt
youtu.be/GEEau89XEDk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I spent a few hours today practicing /prod/uction by remaking this song (from 0:40 to 1:30):

youtube.com/watch?v=NH-5aUFoF9g

I should do this way more often, I feel like this is a great way to learn. Really makes me listen to the sounds and figure out how the stuff is made.

This is the current result, I think it's now a matter of finding the right samples, so I'm not sure I will spend much more time just for that. Any feedback on this, maybe I could still try to work on some part as a practice?

clyp.it/mxdq11ph

I used default FL studio drums more or less, with some Addictive Drums 2. Yeah, the bells were the hardest part, I'm not good with synths and don't really know how to make the sound I want, so I tried to find something similar and mixed something from Synth1, Massive and Sytrus, still far away though. I'd like to know how to make the bass sound clearer in the low end, it's still very subbassy I guess.

feedback pls

electronic + percussion heavy

clyp.it/jxbxlxsl

the bass in the song has a different envelope- it tails off, like an 808

yours is just a straight blast at constant volume

also the bass in the song probably has some more distortion for additional harmonics

and it's also low passed and layered with a kick

Interesting. Thx for the feedback!

This is some bass from Nexus2, I'm not sure where to find a good preset/make it myself, but I'll try my best.

kinda weird, not bad

try making some of the sounds have more character- distortion, bitcrushing, more compression

"If you are doing it hours upon hours every day, you can probably get to that point (learning music production) in less than 6 months" - SeamlessR

Is that true?

I've been playing around with my DAW for a couple of years, but never really got deep into /prod/, it was mostly just a composing part, while barely even touching the mixer. I have more time during this summer and am currently practicing a lot more, practically a whole day (instead of playing vidya). It would be even better if I didn't shitpost so much on Sup Forums though but oh well.

seamless isnt that good at actually making listenable, enjoyable music

his latest album was pretty boring, sounded well produced but his songwriting is lacklustre

being creative in your songwriting is 50% of success and also one of the hardest parts

That's what he said too, he was talking here about music production, not songwriting though.

Can you explain why is it actually bad to boost EQ too high, like this memester does on 2:34?

youtube.com/watch?v=-IPxxeb-4gk

Also, what's happening at 1:53? What's the difference between those two knobs?

well... you can't really be a successful producer without both of those things

if you just want to learn the technical side you can probably do that within a week

I'm not saying I'm bad at composing and music theory, since I already have years of experience in that.

Learning technicalities in a week? I can't believe this. What are they learning in audio engineering schools then? I've already spent a LOT more than a week and I still can't into synths at all, nor mix everything together so it doesn't clash.

Learning just harmor would probably take a week.

I started experiencing this mindset in a programming/web development field. Using frameworks is cheating, so I would have made every single thing from scratch on my projects, just to realize it's barely better than something premade I could just use and save myself 95% of the time. Now it's the same shit in music /prod/uction.

The good thing I got from my first internship is a realization how much of that shit is already premade, so I don't give much fucks about it anymore and I have become much more productive as a result.

maybe ur just not technologically inclined then idk

just bear in mind: none of it actually has to be complex. you dont have to know all the autistic algorithms or have DSP coding level insight to use the tools in their intended setting.

hell, if you use the tools like they're NOT intended, you might get a cool sound out of it- e.g that old british compressor that they used all three compression ratios on simultaneously for a really crushed sound

>low passed
what does this mean? How can you tell it's not just a regularly 808?

How did Travis get his snares at 1:20?
youtube.com/watch?v=KZZocG2IByo
It's obviously layered but with what?
Also what's the phaser synth called which pans from left to right?

>maybe ur just not technologically inclined then idk

Are you serious right now? How much experience do you have, if you don't mind saying?

Are you trying to say that you could have made anything you heard in your head in whatever the synth, the first time you opened a DAW? That you knew all the audio engineering theory without ever learning it? That you simply "understood" stuff like EQ-ing and compression and stereo shaping and reverb and whatnot?

I never heard someone say something like this desu.

low passed means the lows are allowed to pass through an eq and the highs are cut out

high passed means you can hear the highs

low cut means the lows are cut out and you can hear only the highs

etc

If you know where to go to learn stuff and you want to learn, it wont take you long to learn the basics

there are some amazing youtube channels

audioz has a lot of tutorials

you cant really make anything thats in your head with any synth

"all the audio engineering" lol it's not that complex. there are lots of little pearls of wisdom that you can pick up from people with experience though.

you can understand those things you listed on various levels, from basic to severely autistic. the vast majority of producers have a basic understanding.

i just dont like how audio engineering is made out to be this super complicated thing. it's not unless you are doing some coding or working with Pure Data (which is a DAW btw)

soundcloud.com/brodiebanky/honeysuckle-featministu

I produced the beat and am the one rapping over it.
I recently started using ableton 8 as my main and have seen my production advance to a higher level. IMO it is A LOT user friendly than FL,Cubase, Ect. Easy to warp samples to exactly how you need them and plugging in Nexus for the occasional VST instrument has made my production process a cake walk.

To use another analogy: if you're a carpenter, you'll probably get more satisfaction from actually building a piece of furniture rather than just assembling it from Ikea. But this doesn't necessarily mean that you need to manufacture your own tools and stuff...

The slippery slope argument is a bit retarded with this stuff.. I think it's pretty obvious that you can make songs without presets or premade loops without going all slippery slope goat farmer.

Baka desu senpai, I might as well just try this Memebleton right now. I'm looking at TPB but can't find the latest 9.6.2. version. Is this the good torrent?

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5204469

There is 9.6.2 too, but it seems like it has some problems with installation. Is there a difference between those I should care about?

Also, how fucked am I after being used to FL studio?

And btw, if I experience troubles writing REAL orchestral music (because I'm a ARTIST, not a kid sampling loops), I will hold you guys responsible for it and you will have to go to school tomorrow, because you are NOT alright.

>wonky
>r&b

clyp.it/uadjcakx

advice appreciated

clyp.it/drmo1wdu

New producer here, what can I add for more "fullness" and variety?

i'm learning :)

might switch to ableton from FL,

how long to learn ableton?

Never have I clicked that X button faster on a program.

>being this ugly
>having that ugly piano roll
>only one row on a keyboard is used for playing

FL is the best.

>I think it's pretty obvious that you can make songs without presets or premade loops without going all slippery slope goat farmer
way to directly contradict the point of that image

I'm not that user, but I can see where you're coming from.

Don't you think real instruments can give more of an organic sound

could we talk about harmonic layers in the context of a distorted bass

how do u pull it off

i can distort a triangle/square and eq it but it never really sounds as good as other producers

think along the lines of Evian Christ or something

thanks

Gib advice on mixing the loud part please /prod/

Thanks

clyp.it/0pgfynmo

Stronger basses, a pad or something to fill the mid-low range, different loops, a countermelody...

i do it my way
soundcloud.com/scrimzoola

A "clic" downpitched ?
A rimshot?

>razer
>music

Your analogy is shit though. Music is an art where as making sites is a craft. Its pretty lazy to use loops unless its part of an aesthetic thing. (Old breaks/70s preset drum machines/ect)

Most of the updates past 9.5 have been improvements to the Push controller so assuming you don't have that you probably won't have any issues with not having the latest build.

>What's the difference between those two knobs?

Think of the VOL control in the "Levels Adjustment" section as a pre-amp - its range can go from 0-200% whereas the VOL control at the top is the main channel level adjustment and can only go to 100%

Memester likes it because it boosts, same as he likes using boost EQ so much, he's a boosty kinda guy - the amount of boost EQ he's using would overdrive an analogue channel strip if the input gain wasn't reduced and it's one reason why cut EQ is traditionally preferred - floating-point calculation in modern DAWs makes it less relevant since a smile-curve obtained by boosting lows and highs is just the same as one gained by cutting mids, only with more gain added which the FP DAW would be able to cope with.

Whether your plug-ins could cope with that additional gain is another story though, so it's still best to cut rather than boost.

Quick question I've torrented ableton but every once in a while it messes up and asks me to activate and then I have to do the process of installing it again, any work away around this ?

disable automatic updates duh

lol holy shit another person directly contradicting what the picture is saying by being stupid.

what does god bless america have to do with this conversation or nigerians?

>I'm too new to understand what a reaction webm is

>posting too ambiguous and lelsorandumbly named reaction webm for it to even be interpreted as one
yes, it's me who is bad at this and definitely not you

Arguing with you is like arguing with a bitch on her period. Just shut the fuck up.

>Arguing with you is like arguing with a bitch on her period
WOAH BROAH THAT'S A HOT ZINGER!!! CAN *ANYONE* STOP THIS IRREVERENT MADMAN???

>tfw

Is getting an ocarina worth it?
I've been looking at getting it and I like its sound.
>inb4 XDDDDD

anybody watch episode 4 of the new season of bojack horseman? i thought it was really cool how it was all just underwater-y sounding music and sound effects and hardly any dialogue at all

yeah. they can be pretty cheap

there are other instruments like recorders that sound similar too

clyp.it/vjktedwc

v0.2

youtube.com/watch?v=Nnhf-KM_NqM

I only put the vocals there as a filler I want to eventually record my own vocals, my main issue is I hate the repetitivity of the beat, you guys got any suggestions on what I could do to break it up a bit and make it more interesting?

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

i think you have me mixed up with someone who actually cares about whatever you're trying to link me to

keep jerking yourself off for designing serum patches though

what's a click?
And it's layered with a...clap?

Best place to BUY vst plugins and shit like that?

Best place to pirate Vst and stuff like that?
>inb4 Torrent

post rare lunga's

Steve Albini wrote in the liner notes of Bulldozer that anything more than 8 tracks (as in multitrack recording, not as in 8 songs) is excessive. Thoughts?

You cared enough to respond ;^)

A little s a l t y b o i?

Maybe for a standard rock band. you could use 5 for vox, rhythm, bass, lead, and keys, then the other 3 on drums. No reason to limit yourself to 8 tracks though.

i know you must spend a lot of your life searching for little salty boys, but i am not one of them

I make techno but I haven't found myself using more than 8 yet desu.

Why do the beats in the commecial sound so much better and harder than the CDQ version?
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNlciK_2qCA

Bump pls

Legowelt said something similar actually.
>You don't need 32 channels to make a house record.

clyp.it/aeahz5on

I don't know where my head is today, but I like it.

It kind of depends. I'd say 8 tracks being recorded at the same time is plenty, but some people say that regards to TOTAL tracks, the number should be probably around 16 or a little more.

Watch this video and go to like 11:00 and watch for a couple minutes.

youtube.com/watch?v=q2E3ifOjFmE

This fucking terrible song has like 100 fucking individual tracks, and they just serve to fill space. All that work and instrumentation for a song that sounds boring as fuck.

So regarding total tracks, whatever interface you have, 8 tracks being recording simultaneously is enough.
Most affordable interfaces can record a total of 8 microphones at the same time, like the focusrite 18i10/roland octacapture/those old tascam cassette recorders, etc.
Regarding the most total tracks per song, maybe like 16-24, with 24 being practically overkill, I feel.

To whoever is responsible for the pastebin, the mixing and mastering links don't work.

>OP doesn't post links
OMG thread ruined. Shitty OP go frick yourself
>OP posts links
Links are dead post

Not blaming you for posting, just sick of seeing it every thread.

>"So nothing terribly complicated, as you can see."
lel

I'm looking for abletons operator but can't find it in the audio effects ? Any idea where that could be located?

nvm found it

Can someone explain to me what sine and mono is and how to put them in serial ? What is that even?

>what sine and mono
a sine wave is a kind of waverform shaped like a sideways s. mono means not in stereo or one note/voice/whatever at a time if you're talking about synths instead of audio signals. no idea what putting them in serial is supposed to mean

lmao

POST PROGRESS

clyp.it/yt23jg43

clyp.it/oawd1tml

bump

Stop being a faggot and go to the wiki.
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Book_Collection

Also make backups of it if you can. I'm going to be re-uploading everything after I organize it.

>that fucking awful setup 10:20
>that fucking list of AUTO plugins at 30 minutes in and onwards

Holy shit, this is absolutely disgusting. FL fags are truly the worst. It's mind numbing this chink gets paid for absolute amateur hour garbage.

Is this dude the biggest fucking fraud and hack in the industry currently?

Dude fucking admitted at SXSW '16 seminar that he literally just buys all his shit off of Loopmasters and doesn't know shit about theory or sound design.

Seriously, where the fuck do these morons keep popping up from?

Talent /=/ Fame

It has always been like this. The guy makes music that's easily marketable and easy to consume. That's not a bad thing but not a good thing either. It's just the way shit is.

opinions?

clyp.it/pubfyujs

Progress so far.

clyp.it/rfjgbygj

EQ on the kick sounds off to me. Do you have the mid ranges boosted?

>Watching a tutorial from a guy who thinks Melbourne Bounce is Psytrance

There's your issue

Yeah a bit. I want to get that sort of 80s, retrowave sounding kick.

You got a pic of your spectrum?

The "Melody" that started at 4:30, and then gets layered with the rest of the track, has got to be the most autistic sounding shit I have ever heard. What the literal fuck?

I like sampling music.
Sampling music is fun.
It seems i tend to sample the intro of songs most of the time.
This happens mostly when i listen to track with vocals, so it makes sense.
But when i listen to jazz albums, for example, instrumental albums, i do the same thing, because it's less noisy, if you understand me, there are less instruments playing at the same time.
Is this a bad habit?
I can't find samples like the great producers can.
I hear that intro segment in Green in Blue and i can totally picture it as an standalone track, but i can't listen to a track and say "these 5 seconds sound really good, i should sample this"
It happens, but very very rarely, even when i don't expect his to happen every single time, i wish it happened more often, and aside from obvious limitations, again, not every track is going to have a sample, i think i can improve my production and my ear so i found these more often.
I would never find The World is Yours sample.
How can i improve /prod/?

youtu.be/mbgPZMvVmWw
I think you guys will like this

>clyp.it
I think this is really nice work - I'm sure you yourself know it's not perfect i.e. the bass a little off etc, however it's really impressive.

I've never tried to reproduce a track before.

It has a nice feel too it; very ethereal and fluid. Professional potential.. Keep doing what you're doing!

Wasn't sure how I felt, then the bass / music came in and saved it ~ I like it, I think it's real nice... I'm no pro so I'm not sure on advice though I'd say keep on keepin' on.

More ambience, like a deeper underlayer - it feels like this is just a top layer; keep at it though!

Sounds how I feel it's meant to sound, though I don't listen to anything comparable... You seem like you have the skills to continue self-educating though

===================

General feedback please :) Any pointers // opinions appreciated.

clyp.it/5mfkdwyt

Thanks!

hahahahahaha ahh for real, what the fuck

God damn. Do you have any context for what the fuck you are talking about?

Some people just have a good ear for making music and don't need to know theory or sound design.

Topkek

Now when I listen to it more closely, it sounds even more autistic than the intro in this parody

youtu.be/GEEau89XEDk

That made remember that I wanted to ask a question here.

Is there a genre or something for "comedy" music? The music that makes you laugh? I think that could be very interesting. E.g. this would be comedic music, or that shitty flute that plays a movie intro on youtube.

I think it would mainly have to have some offnotes, weird melodies and retarded sounding synths, but there has to be a fine line between that and straight up smashing the keyboard to try sounding like shit.

(If not, I'm patenting this and on a way to figure out a new genre)

How important is music theory and sound design ? I'm new to this so I obviously don't know shit about that either.

Can someone define it?

Do you mean "shreds"?