Green Day is a punk band(or at least was). If you think otherwise you're a fucking degenerate...

Green Day is a punk band(or at least was). If you think otherwise you're a fucking degenerate. They've went more alt with stuff like American Idiot and everything that followed, but they are inherently punk. Pic related is punk. Don't give me that horse shit that they're not punk because they got a record deal, or because they actually have a musical background that influences their sound outside of guessing three power chords that roughly work together like "real punk". This is the most autistic shit ever. Why shouldn't punk evolve like any other genre? Why shouldn't it be popular like any other genre? What kind of autistic punk elitist preaches about the anti-establishment values of punk, then turns around and shits on anything that doesn't conform to your rules? This post isn't ironic, it's about bullshit hipster elitism in the genre that makes punk rock look toxic to fans of other genres. Green Day is punk, blink-182 is punk, Sum-41 is punk, whatever. This autism in the genre is worse than normie top 40 pop fags.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Soa3gO7tL-c
youtu.be/UNq9gmY_Oz4
youtube.com/watch?v=Lpds3V90VbM
youtube.com/watch?v=LXrP66ot0zs
youtube.com/watch?v=JytO0DFxzis
youtube.com/watch?v=o-xMkHgan0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=TIy3n2b7V9k
youtube.com/watch?v=s6zVUvmkyvA
youtube.com/watch?v=8_H4gOf0urI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ok

ok

youtube.com/watch?v=Soa3gO7tL-c

>le grate somg

It's because it stops being punk. fucking dumbass.
It goes against the character of the genre.
It doesn't mean it's better or worse, it's just not pure punk.

Of course it isn't pure punk. I'm not that autistic. But, it isn't not punk. And how does it go against the genre? It evolved within the genre musically, a natural next step in the genre.

Exactly what I said. Everything from American Idiot onwards really is in the realm of alt rock, not punk.

I don't care what anyone says this is a mega fun album to throw on when it's sunny outside, you've smoked something and are generally not being productive

They're pop punk which is an oxymoron meaning that they profited off the image of punk in their pop music.

pop punk isn't punk

what's alternative about post-American Idiot Green Day? it's just mainstream rock.

>background that influences their sound outside of guessing three power chords that roughly work together like "real punk"

youtu.be/UNq9gmY_Oz4

Explain this

>pop punk isn't punk
>pop punk
>punk

The keyword is punk

Oh, so to be punk, you have to only have been seen by 25 people and live off microwave burritos in a van your whole life? That's progressive. Okay everybody, punk should never get out of the garage, and should never progress musically.

Nu metal isn't metal, but then again the point of that name is to kind of mock the genre as not real metal. Pop punk seems like the same way.

Yea because they steal the image of punk to profit off of it. Why do you think the members of green day dyed their hair and plastered stickers over their guitars and removed the logos off their equipment? Do you really believe they were social anti-capitalist outcasts forced to make music to have an expression voiced? If so why are most of their songs about being bored?

Keyword here is outside of, not rather than. Insomniac was more pure punk than Dookie, thus the simplicity.

Wearing eyeliner and leather jackets doesn't automatically make you punk

Who were the Ramones?
Who were the Clash?
Who is Iggy Pop?
Who were the Germs during the LA scene?
Who were Black Flag?

Having a Blast is the only good song on that album 2bh

You know what Green Day did? Toured around for years doing shit backyard, bar, or birthday party gigs, playing their music with no label. You don't know shit, they were punk before you ever heard about them, you only choose to see what you want to see.

> green day fanboys counter arguments are solely based on the imagery of punk

pop punk was stagnation of punk music, not the result of punk music progressing after 20 years

Yeah, I listen to Green Day, so I'm automatically a 13 year old who has no culture in the genre whatsoever. Retarded question.

>why shouldn't punk evolve like any other genre?
Didn't punk evolve into grunge?

at least we can agree on one thing then you little faggot

Couldn't say it better myself

How so? Because I don't remember the fucking descendants or circle jerks innovating the genre or holding its relevance.

Eh, more like branched off. I mean, if you wanted you could look at it like that.

they're not innovating punk because they are a pop punk band, punk was founded on an entirely set of ideologies and DIY ethic that (most) pop punk acts don't subscribe to.

Where are those facts again? Like I said, fucking degenerates.

really great album desu

Refer to

When they were punk they didn't, like pic related.

>degenerates
I think someone from Sup Forums is coming here to try to justify their shit taste in music.

Also, "pop punk" is such an oxymoron.

Also, why does the popularity of a genre define the genre? If 25 people have heard it its punk, but if a million have then it's pop punk? Autism. It's all in the music.

I don't agree with the term pop punk. It relies on who is listening, not what the music sounds like. That's not correct.

Punk bands can become popular and still be punk, see:

Played to a bunch of 45 year olds, college kids, and preteens.
"They struggled really hard!"
I don't think you're getting it it's not about who or what they had to deal with but the message they were trying to convey and express themselves so they went to places were outcasts and dregs like them gathered where they would express themselves musically to each other. But I'm sure green day didn't have a hard time finding people like that to fit in with at Susie's sweet 16 birthday party.

I was pointing out that you said in order to be punk they had to live in a van eating microwaveable shit for the rest of their lives in hopes to play to 25 people, but the ones listed clearly aren't ensuring that. said it better

No they're not, Green Day sold the image of being punk and you bought it.

this completely

if their stuff is at hot topic they are not punk sorry

They did. It wasn't sunshine and pop rainbows. And it wasn't for long time until they could play a bar, they had to build their name. They traveled with the scene, and for the most part, played to their age group, which was relevant to their message back then. It's fucking true. Once they finally got to play Madison square, and almost didn't do it because fucking Bon jovi was playing (they got the lineup changed eventually). They lived off fucking microwave burritos in a van until it got them a shit minor label, and then they kept fucking doing it.

Because they were mainstream too, fucktard.

You know who else's shit is at hot topic? The Ramones. Well fuck, commercial relevance alert, The Ramones are no longer punk! Dumbass.

greenday is as punk as panic at the disco get over it, they are not raw they are not hardcore they sell their merchandise all around america and you buy it

post favorite punk songs itt

youtube.com/watch?v=Lpds3V90VbM

youtube.com/watch?v=LXrP66ot0zs

Hipster elitism detected. Neither of you know shit about how they became popular, you just assume that means they are poser sellout pop fags. Only hear what you want to hear.

i've never seen someone so insecure with liking pop punk music

youtube.com/watch?v=JytO0DFxzis

come on, it's not all bad

Boo

>le boulevard of broken dreams and 21 guns
>Punk rock xDDD

If you define a genre by anything besides its music, you are autistic. Look

>poser sellout pop fags.

isn't that exactly what happened? or did i just imagine they did that really terrible song with Bono?

Read op dipshit, American idiot onwards isn't punk.

>he shops at hot topic
now i know where you got your taste for pop punk music from user

It was a cover dumbass. If you knew shit about shit, you'd know it was a punk song by the skids.

Well, I wasn't born in the fucking 70's and I needed a Ramones shirt.

no one is saying greenday is bad I am just saying they are not punk

true punks dont change their music for people or perform in huge coliseums

You moron, Green Day started by copying their punk influences. They made music with the intention of looking like punks without being punks. The Ramones started because they wanted a way to escape the shitty times in New York so they made music with others who felt the same way. Of course people are going to capitalize on their success by making merch but Green Day went in knowing the product they were trying to sell and based their style and music off of it.

>thread is just arguing about what is and isn't punk

arguing about what is and isn't punk isn't punk y'all

Wow one of the oldest and most rehashed music related type of thread in the book, i remember AOL too, dumbass.
Punk was just a branding scheme to sell records to teens who were getting bored of cock rock in the 70's. Most people move on but some of you Peter Pan motherfuckers can't get over the punk is real meme.

This statement is irrelevant, because I know you have no idea what they sounded like before they were popular.

>If a band gets a record deal, they're not punk.
So even the Sex Pistols weren't punk then?
Also, who produce electric guitars, and drum sets again? "Capitalist" fuckin companies.

Fuck off fags, go listen to radiohead or death grips, or whatever /mu has you conforming to.

>i needed a t shirt from a band that was against the commercialization of punk music and now begrudge all the people that wear their bootleg t shirts sold at major retail chains

it's poetic really

they can sound like punks but they dont have punk spirit

Irony

you should listen to Death Grips, they're more punk than Green Day could ever aspire to be.

tbf sex pistols were a market act but i know thats not what you mean

But MC ride doesn't have blue hair and Andy doesn't have blonde frosted tips

Yeah, they all idolized punk heroes, hung around underground punk scenes like gilman, made two garage albums while shitting in a bucket thinking "oh man think about the money we'll make by being punk!"

Let's play "find the mu/tard". Well shit then.

nothing says nonconformist like listening to green day and the rest of the american pie OST.

punk is not about living poorly living poorly is often a symptom of being punk. You don't understand its not about making a lot of money its about playing and doing what you want without taking a fist up the ass from anyone.

I love the delusion that The Ramones weren't commercial.

i love the delusion that green day is punk.

Fact.Yeah, but then God forbid anyone ever makes any money ever, right?

American Idiot [Reprise, 2004]

If you're wondering what this concept album means, don't labor over the lyric booklet. As Billie Joe knows even if he doesn't come out and say it--he doesn't come out and say lots of obvious stuff--this is a visual culture. So examine the cover. That red grenade in the upraised fist? It's also a heart--a bleeding heart. Which he heaves as if it'll explode, only it won't, because he doesn't have what it takes to pull the pin. The emotional travails of two clueless punks--one passive, one aggressive, both projections of the auteur--stand in for the sociopolitical content that the vague references to Bush, Schwarzenegger, and war (not any special war, just war) are thought to indicate. There's no economics, no race, hardly any compassion. Joe name-checks America as if his hometown of Berkeley was in the middle of it, then name-checks Jesus as if he's never met anyone who's attended church. And to lend his maunderings rock grandeur, he ties them together with devices that sunk under their own weight back when The Who invented them. Sole rhetorical coup: makes being called a "faggot" something to aspire to, which in this terrible time it is. C+

Very factual. Well constructed.

If they have changed then they should not walk around like they haven't. They capitalized off the look to go mainstream and make money.

what the fuck

you had me all the way up to sum 41 being considered punk, blink 182 is a maybe at best as well with their first few releases actually being punk, still though, green day should be considered punk imo, not just this but also 21st century breakdown>american idiot

Well, y'know, the critic IS the artist. +69 for mentioning the album that is completely outside of their relevance in punk.

youtube.com/watch?v=o-xMkHgan0Y

i want to see OP interview henry

yeah I feel like rollins should do this to every greenday fan. Posers get rekt

fucking losers greenday sucks

Billie Joe writes an rock opera about how bad he wants to be punk, fantastic

youtube.com/watch?v=TIy3n2b7V9k

OP thinks this is punk ahaha

Well yeah, Green Day followed the same vicious circle as countless other bands, which was to start out as fast, simple, edgy 3-chord rock and then gradually as they get older turn into self-indulgent prog and/or concept album bloat.

The Who (which Christgau mentions in there) did the same exact thing.

Atleast a lot of the other bands had soul, greenday has none its fake

I'm certain you never listened to 1000 hours, 39 smoothed out slappy hours, or kerplunk, much less even knew of their existence.

Also remember how Bono said prog is what happens when a band is on its last legs.

youtube.com/watch?v=s6zVUvmkyvA

Because Bono is a musical prophet right? Top kek.

uh oh a 12 year old made their way to 4chin, trying to change someones mind on the internet. keep bumping this, the cringe here is amazing

They can make punk styled music but they used to image to profit.

>The Who (which Christgau mentions in there) did the same exact thing

"I had originally enjoyed Who's Next when it first came out and rated it an A, but years later, in my Consumer Guide to Albums of the '70s, I downgraded it slightly. This was after seeing how their later career unfolded and for a while I almost came to despise The Who. I recently sat down and listened to WN for the first time in a decade and although it wasn't so obvious back in 1971, all the excesses of their later career were on there, such as the long-winded song structures, synth noodling, and Roger Daltrey's histrionic vocals. I still maintain that The Who Sell Out is their one truly great album."

remember when henry rollins wasn't a bitter old shell of his former self?

youtube.com/watch?v=8_H4gOf0urI

Though sometimes a slow process, driving the hipsters out of their caves can, with persistence, be accomplished.

>posting on Sup Forums
>calling other people hipsters

kind of redundant user