All the best albums ever made have involved a guitar

All the best albums ever made have involved a guitar.

Why is that?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zFA0FYQo0Gg
youtube.com/watch?v=jQLD_rPWXsE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There isn't any guitar on The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady though

Instrumental instruments music is timeless.

>The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Jay Berliner – Classical guitar

probably because the album only became a thing in order to sell guitar music.

Well either I'm selectively death or an idiot because I've never made out any guitar

beewax records were distributed before guitars were in the limelight

*deaf

>not listening to jazz
shit taste

Being a pretentious jazz-enthusiast. Shit personality.

The Creatures - Drums and voice only, amazing

>pretentious
i recognize art in all of its forms and respect all genres equally. the only pretentious person is the one who assumed none of the best albums made were from jazz, blues, electronica, etc.

is that the siouxsie sioux side project

Yes

Because there are so many people who play it

Guitars just offer a lot of flexibility when you jam by yourself, the amount of octaves, ways to strums, everything, they are the most free and loose instrument to jam and write on and they can be used in several ways to get the measure you need behind the birds and the bees. idk, I played baritone in school band ten year ago and it wasn't something I could pull out and play anything I felt like I have the past seven years of playing guitar and bass, I even start there and then translate it to piano/synths/ect or other instruments, but the guitar is the pencil on the canvas

piano has a wider range, more freedom and mobility, the ability to create lines and have chordal foundation simultaneously, and better access to different voicings and chord modulation

you can do more I guess, but do you have the same groove to play what feels right like you do when you're holding a guitar?

yes

you "groove to play what feels right" on the instrument that's most comfortable for you. I can't do that on a guitar because i suck at guitar, you can't do that on a piano because you're not skilled enough on the instrument to sight read and build your own lines.

imo the piano is better in this context because you can hear something and play it exactly, whereas on the guitar you're very limited in your voicings, modulation, and register.

I'm not disrespecting piano, but its that depth right there, I learned it once as a band student and didn't know any of it, then when I learned guitar more and more music theory was like butter. Tell me this, do you ever jam/improvise before knowing the time signature or key persay? I have done that on piano, but even screwups can end up sounding like a vibrato, mute, or something you tack in. I guess if there's one little thing guitars have over pianos, it's slides and bends, but I could be wrong about that with non-midi/synth pianos

yeah i've got nothing against guitar either, just my opinion and experience
>do you ever jam/improv before knowing the time or key?
it would be difficult to jam without an established or intended meter but yes. you can absolutely improv without a key sig on keys. in fact, it's completely possible to build a melody and play completely devoid of a key sig only making chords around the lead.
>even screwups can end up sounding like a vibrate, mute, or something you tack in
it's unclear, but I assume you mean this on guitar? it's a skill thing again. i've screwed up many a time and pulled it off by repeating it, changing mode, or just ignoring it
>I guess if there's one little thing guitars have over pianos, it's slides and bends, but I could be wrong about that with non-midi/synth pianos
no you're absolutely right, sliding on a synth feels completely unnatural to me and isn't as authentic as guitar slides and bends. i guess with practice it could be done well impromptu but guitarists will always have the advantage there.

Well I mean I did say I've taken something I wrote on a guitar and then translated it to piano/synths/midis, guitar was just my base. I'm sure you could take a melody or even chords on piano and then take them to guitar to side with you. Regardless to say, both instruments offer a wide array to be played and composed, and both of us could most likely pick up any instrument and be able to grasp faster than anyone without a large solid ground.

let's ignore electronic music as a whole

Because your taste is utter irredeemable shit

Some Villa-Lobos, tops

FURTHER

PROOF

youtube.com/watch?v=zFA0FYQo0Gg

From 22:26 onward guitar is featured prominently.

>Tell me this, do you ever jam/improvise before knowing the time signature or key persay?
>he improvises in a key, or a time signature
Personally I just hit the keys, just fucking abuse them mercilessly, and then when something cool happens (or, actually, regardless of whether the resulting discord sounds cool or not) I repeat it some more, change the left hand around slightly from time to time to imply some variety of harmony in all the tone clusters, shift the right hand around to reveal the melodies possible in such a situation, perhaps a bit of octatonic, maybe pentatonic if I'm feeling lazy, maybe I even try out monotonic (though that gets old quick), usually I let wherever the fuck my hands have ended up decide, though. If I make a mistake and it sounds awful, well, fuck you, it's not awful and the next notes I play will demonstrate that this was my plan all along.

Basically I have a lot of fun, though the people outside the practice room probably don't.

Amen brother, do what feels good and fuck the " he's not even playing ode to joy by mozart!" inbreds who are only there because their friendzone cush is taking dance lessons in the studio room across the hall

Pianos are restricted to twelve tones. No extra expression like bends and vibrato

Most versatile instrument

Instrumentalists can play best on their best instrument, imagine that.

Sorry, just being a dick. In my experience taking a composition course in college, especially with amateur composers, you can almost tell precisely what instrument the composer plays from their music. The pianist always has good conception of harmony and voice leading, but terrible conception of the fact that certain scales and ranges are easier than others on most instruments. The percussionist is very attuned to rhythm, color and little else. The guitarist usually just gives me a bass line ostinato. The clarinetist will inevitably hand me something that sounds like it should be a piece of cake, but requires either terrible string changes or weird shifts up and downthe C string. Actually, it really seems almost like strings and woodwinds are just naturally incompatible with each other, I've tried and failed to write for woodwinds even after studying them thoroughly. I can play a simple run with not one shift, and the clarinetist can just as easily, but transpose it a halfstep and I can still easily play it, but the clarinetist has a shift (or whatever it's called) on every note.

Writing on the piano is a lot better for me, since it's the most 'neutral' if that makes sense

>piano has more mobility

I know what you meant but still, only melodicas or keytairs are mobile

I can understand that, and being a guitarist I can say that early on my writing was usually starting with melodies and just taking the bass section of chords. Now I try and approach it more like the melody being the strings sections, the rhythm guitar being the woodwinds, and the bass being the brass. Still playing with making percussion not so copy and paste, even though that's what I'm doing programming drums, but I try to think where each instrument can compliment each other now, that's from recognizing areas I know I could have done better in my early recordings, or areas I think now I did well but didn't then.

That's always a good approach. Listening to other ensembles you don't have experience in is another thing you can do.

Jumping on excuse to post this again: youtube.com/watch?v=jQLD_rPWXsE

Listen to the way different instruments, cello especially, change roles at the drop of a hat. Cellos are often bass, but just as often a lower soli melody. (Double basses are often used as effect here, doubling cellos (hence the name), playing on their own while cellos have melody, pizzicatoing at special moments).

lol, what a retard

whats the name of that one album where it's only bass and drums, and the album cover is like a landfill or something with a rainbow in the back

the term album (a book of records, like a photo album) originates with classical music

Because so many people play it, so society is more likely to gravitate toward guitars in music. If every child was given a roland synthesizer at the age of 4, synth music would be the normie standard and guitar music wouldn't be mainstream, possibly even avant-garde to a small degree. Guitars are heard so often in everyday life, it's just become the gold standard for instruments.

>Well either I'm selectively death or an idiot
>death

Well you answered that one pal

Because string instruments in general have always been immensely popular, and the guitar is very versatile and able to fit into most genres.

Also the fact that most popular music today is derived from blues in some way, which heavily made use of the guitar. Electric amplification opened up entire new avenues and the guitar gained massive popularity during the 50s and 60s, continuing to today