/prod/ - Music Production General

1 minute in GIMP edition

Post the tracks you're currently ruining.

Remember to:
>use clyp.it for WiPs
>give all soundcloud kids the silent treatment

Join the discord, aka I Can't Believe It's Not IRC
discord.gg/msfBG

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

>THE LINKS DON'T WORK
We know.
Maybe an enterprising fellow could update it or start a new one, hmm?

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/w1sn4la2
youtu.be/C8WyaOnzshc
pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic
youtube.com/watch?v=6_AC2i45L3E
clyp.it/ouwidhwn
clyp.it/z5gje2t3
soundcloud.com/spinborn/goteki
youtube.com/watch?v=rHlWP-nc4tM
youtube.com/watch?v=hoyVHnsj49U
youtube.com/watch?v=vU-mKsQLWXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DJMf9a8OSbs
youtube.com/watch?v=dVfnd5r8bM0
youtube.com/watch?v=GA-cUVotYps
youtube.com/watch?v=pAwR6w2TgxY
clyp.it/0zuphlsi
clyp.it/knlcvy2v
voxengo.com/product/span/
clyp.it/5q1j3cqo
clyp.it/hdupwuhq
clyp.it/f4tq1lmd
clyp.it/as3lidx3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for "Don't link the books directly since that'll get them removed quicker and that means I have to reupload them". :(

has anyone else had problems getting slight delay while processing with absynth 5?

// how did you fix it? I know it's specifically a problem in absynth. I googled and nobody had a solution.

What's good in the reaktor user library?

Specifically for experimental/idm/industrial... Crazy, effects, distortion, glitches etc. There's so much to wade through [:

clyp.it/w1sn4la2

feeling this a little
if you could make the pad/background synths a little more audible compared to the drums in the beginning that'd be great

I would like to propose something.

Can we make it acceptable to have a non faggy trip code in these threads?

The only reason I ask is because we actually had a really good thread a couple of nights ago, but we had so many people talking to each other that the discussion became a chaotic mess that became impossible to follow.

Bookfag here. Don't be surprised if all of the books in the Mega link suddenly disappear. I'll be adding extra shit too.

nobody can stop you

nice1 mang

Nobody uses Reaktor here.

yup

pretty much this. I barely see anyone use anything other than Massive and Sylenth here.

desu, I don't even use reaktor because I haven't been able to find any real benefit from it. Love the shit out Razor though.

I spent all of last weekend going through the factory library. Got totally lost using metaphysical and creating granular drones for hours, there is some really interesting stuff just in the factory library.
If I had just started in /prod/ and was just getting to grips with using a DAW my advice would be to buy Reaktor you get a shit load of samplers, synths, sequencers and effect, plus anything that anyone has uploaded to the user library, if what you want isn't there then you can build it yourself.
It's really great...oh and blocks wired, plus you can link blocks up to your eurorack

Is this good or bad youtu.be/C8WyaOnzshc

use clyp.it man

Also, bring down you mid range a bit in your EQ, and recheck whatever compression you are using on those drums, because the HiHats are coming in too strong.

Also HiPass on that reverb on the voice because with a voice that low, your are muddying up your bass frequencies pretty bad.

That's where I would start anyway.

>Maybe an enterprising fellow could update it or start a new one, hmm?

pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ

>I barely see anyone use anything other than Massive and Sylenth here.
Seems to me 95% of the people here are using, ableton or FL along with sylenth, hardly ever hear anything about massive anymore or any other N.I synths. Razor is sounds amazing and the Monark is ideal for learning as it pretty simple and sounds great. It does surprise me but I guess that lends itself well to a certain type of music.

I am updating all the dead links now

guys

i NEED help with learning a bit of theory

How do i become a master of song structure / building tension

I'm really bad at it rn. Whre do i begin? I am making all these great sounding parts of songs, but they are getting wasted because i don't know what the hell i'm doing structurally. don't let me waste a masterpiece.

gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic
youtube.com/watch?v=6_AC2i45L3E

Nah man, I think there's several reasons. For one thing, the majority of people on /Prog/ are hobbyist or poorfags who don't want to sink a ton of money into this.

Secondly, Sylenth is a incredibly easy plugin to work with.

And lastly, a lot of people just don't know any better. Fact of the matter is Sylenth has been obsolete for a few years now, but most people don't know because there's this "muh secret weapons" mentality in production where no one wants to tell anyone what they are using.

Monark is probably my second favorite VST of all time. That shit is fun as fuck and makes some damn good leads and bass.

Learn Major and Minor chords, and Scales. Everything after that is just subjective hearing and practice. If you want references, pull up a song with a really nice build up that you like, and find a midi file for it to study it's structure.

I basically learned how to play organs by analyzing Castlevania MIDIs

First time trying to make dnb. Going for a aphex/squarepusher sound. Any suggestions?

clyp.it/ouwidhwn

This shit is pissing me off. I can't fucking complete one song. I can only write an intro or some interlude shit. I think I'm trying too hard to make something "great". Fuck this, I'm just gonna create one complete 3+ minute song and I don't care how shit it is. I swear on my pathetic life that I will finish an EP before the fall semester starts.

You go, girl.

You got this. Post it when you're done.

I was in the same boat for a while too. I would just make short beats and I didn't know where to go next.
Just force yourself to complete songs and study the pacing and structure of songs you like and keep at it.
If you do that, you will learn how to complete tracks subconsciously. You'll make it there guy.

I just got Kontakt and Guitar Rig 5 has come with a shitton of amps/effects and it's almost overwhelming.

Is there any specific/optimal order for audio effect amps?

i don't really like any of the sound design but the way is put together is p good

>clyp.it/ouwidhwn
I like the jungle beat. Is it a sample?

>clyp.it/ouwidhwn
Shit nigga. That sounds awesome. Are you using any drum sample pack for the drums in the first half?

The bass synth sounds too lonely in the mix, doesn't blend in well.

Hey /prod/, last thread I asked about how to get into music producing, and told them I'd already pirated Pro Tools, but never used it.

So, how do I learn how to produce and mix? I've never touched anything other than Audacity before.

I want the best setup for composing for video games and television, symphonic, midi, and well sounding digital music, in the vein of SM64, Maf464 and M83, as well as recording some real fusion, jazz and prog-rock. So I'm probably gonna need a DAW that mixes/records well, and a DAW to compose in.

What to use, and how should I go about it? I gotta learn as much as possible by next year.

Thanks, I am using a sample for the first half. Just chopping it up in different ways and using stutter effects here and there.
It's from a pack called Jungle Jungle - 1989 - 1999. Has some really good synth samples too.
Do you think a kick will help the bassline in the first section?

Not really. I'd suggest to look into the effect setups from some of your favorite songs. People do all kinds of crazy shit.

lol

just pirate ableton, logic, fl studio and see which one sticks

the first 6 months will honestly be you making the worst music ever. just learn your daw and have fun...

you aren't magically going to b able to make music like m83 to be honest

how do i make this better? i feel it's lacking variety.
also, i'm mixing on hi fi speakers, i'd like to know what it sounds like on other systems

clyp.it/z5gje2t3

>you aren't magically going to b able to make music like m83 to be honest

That's far from what I'm after. but how do I learn how to use the programs, and which to use? I know it won't sound good for a long time, I just want the most adequate springboard, and a place to make the music.

It really depends on your individual workflow. I've only used FL and Ableton.

Fl is really intuitive and really easy for beginners to pick up. Ableton is much more difficult and requires a bit of study but the payoff is immense.

I found ableton to be really beginner friendly. I use it for recording indie shit and bleep music. It also helps that ableton has a lot of users and so naturally there are more quality tutorials on youtube for it. I'd suggest to pirate ableton and see if you like it, if not, try something else.

Sounds like you have a low pass filter, literally no highs. I'm using some M-50s btw.

fuck. a friend of mine listened to it on krk 5's and said there was no bass. thanks btw

A lot of the pros use Logic pro or Nuendo for film/game/TV composing, both are very capable of electronic stuff and recording instruments too. IMO if you own a mac then Logic is a no brainer to start out with as its cheap, has really good sounding stock effects and instruments including Alchemy now which used to be the about the same price as logic when it was sold as a stand alone synth.

That being said you can use pretty much any DAW you like for all of the things you want to do so just download some demos and see which one/s you click with then work your way through the manual a few times until you understand how it works and go from there

Get Ableton.

Don't even touch.

Read the fucking manual.

Cry yourself to sleep.

Get good at default instruments and effects.

Cry some more.

Download some quality VSTs.

Make music.

Learn to master.

It's not enough.

It's never enough.

Lock yourself in your home.

Board up all windows.

Begin Max for Live.

Don't cry because there you don't need tears where you're going.

> I am using a sample

Sampling is not a bad thing I think. I like the way it sounds. The second half of the songs percussion is original, so it's not like the entire thing is unoriginal.

u shitting on sampling in general?

The only sampling that are acceptable are accapellas, or you warp something beyond it's intended use, or if you're taking a great multitude of samples to create a completely unique sound. like Madeon.

Anything else is lazy as fuck and any monkey can go to Loopmasters stack a shit ton of 128 bpm clips together and call it a "song".

give more examples of artists doing "acceptable" sampling and some doing "unacceptable" sampling.

what about DJ Shadow, The Avalanches, FlyLo, Burial or Amon Tobin for example?

you guys are fucking faggots i dont want feedback from here

Uh, no? I was pretty fucking clear with my first post, and I'm not your personal google slave. I'd rather spend time actually working on my new Default for Ableton like I am currently doing.

uh, ok, thats cool I guess.

Get back to work then, faggot. What are you even doing here, cool guy?

/thread

not a WIP so here goes Soundcloud:
soundcloud.com/spinborn/goteki

I hear you guys on Ableton, but I've heard it's not very good for actually creating music in it, since it's too simple or some crap? pls halp. I'm really appreciating the tips you're dishing out here guys

I only use windows. However, isn't Nuendo more of a post-production software?

>but I've heard it's not very good for actually creating music in it, since it's too simple or some crap?

Whoever told you that is a fucking moron. There is literally not a single DAW that is as open and in depth as Ableton. You can literally do anything you want on it. It's the most advanced program to date, and there's a fucking reason it's expensive as fuck.

The only issue anyone has ever had with it is the steep learning curve it takes to actually utilize Ableton properly and to begin to tap into it's full potential. People just want to drop in some beats and make a groovy track; with Ableton you actually have to work at it, but the rewards are spectacular.

Don't EVER let anyone tell you can't do something in Ableton.

Yes. It's also overpriced as fuck for what it is.

Please proceed to discard any and all opinions from that individual for the foreseeable future.

Sorry that last bit, was meant for the previous reply.

for anyone that needs help with music theory

i literally didn't understand key in music until now, and i am slapping myself because its so ridiculously simple

this guy explains things in a very kind, straightforward manner

loads of theory videos. key, chords, yada yada

youtube.com/watch?v=rHlWP-nc4tM

pls rate muh song...

added it to footage of cars racing just cause its easier to share stuff with youtube.

youtube.com/watch?v=hoyVHnsj49U

Thanks friend this was useful

Daily reminder that if you just choose a premade drum loop, take some sample of a song intro and put some random effect like reverb to make it sound more interesting, you can't call yourself producer nor is that piece of shit you did truly original work.

It's funny how often when some clypit gets a praise here, it turns out it was just sampling something.

"Making music" in MusicShake is literally more advanced than what you are doing.

youtube.com/watch?v=vU-mKsQLWXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DJMf9a8OSbs
youtube.com/watch?v=dVfnd5r8bM0
youtube.com/watch?v=GA-cUVotYps

THANK YOU

>I barely see anyone use anything other than Massive and Sylenth here.
(and also fm8)

It's kind of strange, those all are probably easier to crack, but i'm sure some of the newer more "cutting edge" would appeal to new producers because they look so easy to make sound good.

I see people talking endlessly about sampling tho.

what'd you find?

>Monark

I feel bad after getting it with komplete, but I actually preferred the sound of (free) minimogueva. Monark sounds.... sterile. + I find the filter kind of boring :/
nbd since i'm not much into analog sounds right now though so meh.

What do you think about taking samples and warping them to a point that they are unrecognizable?

That's another story, of course. But here I usually hear straight up ripoffs from youtube with some drums placed on top.

E.g. this kind of sampling is very creative:

youtube.com/watch?v=pAwR6w2TgxY

clyp.it/0zuphlsi

Help a brotha out. Tryin' to get a Black Banshee type of sound, should I change anything? any tips? Or just feedback

This. This is how sampling is meant to be done.

Do you guys have any mainstream pop artists/producers who you look up to?

Define mainstream.

Also, but also Scooter.

I've been using FL's inbuilt ParametricEQ2 for the past 5 years or something and while I don't think it's a bad plugin, it's quite shitty in terms of analyzing.
As I'm diving deeper into 'mastering' (if you can call it that), the necessity for a proper analyzer is growing.
Visually, I want something like abletons eq eight
What's good freeware/easily obtainable non-freeware that would fit my needs?
can be either just an analyzer plugin or an eq with an analyzer.

Memestream. Kanye, Taylor, Bieber, OneRepublic, Skrillex-tier and such. Guys with tens of millions of views on Memeo.

if you could see the project file for this, you'd vomit

clyp.it/knlcvy2v

got bored at work and banged this out on a laptop with with a half working trackpad, it was tough.

I like Skrillex's old stuff, but he hasn't really done anything new and Jack U is trash.

Legit more creative than 70% of what gets posted here anymore.

Fuck we really need to have a default contest, so we can get some more original content going.

Trent Reznor
Kanye kind of

Plenty of good songwriters I guess, but the mainstream demands that moreso than it does creative production.

>i'm mixing on hi fi speakers, i'd like to know what it sounds like on other systems

if you think its a big issue you can always start doing reference mixing.
listening on beyerdynamic custom one pro.
it sounds good to me though. you could try giving the bassline a bit more low presence and the general song more highs.

the build up from 1:50 to 2:10 needs to have a bigger hit so i suggest slowly taking all elements away except for the vocal sample and re-add everything at 2:10.

dont blame me though if it doesnt work. im just writing down the ideas i got while listening to your track

voxengo.com/product/span/

How do you guys get your drums to "pop"? I do drum machine and synth music, but it always seems like the drums are too quiet or just sitting in the background.

I can't tell if it's just a simple matter of turning up the drums or if there's a better production trick for more volume.

sidechain compression
other than that, yeah mainly turning the drums up and turning other things down

How do I get weird frontier-esque sound design (arca, ash koosha, etc)? Any synth recommendations or sound design tricks y'all know of?

I already have Omnisphere, serum, iris2 (the only cracked synth I have, it crashes a fuckton), and nexus, all of which I've used a ton. Serum's great but it's a little too catered towards EDM, I'm looking for something specifically for weird synth design.

Fool coming through. What program do artists like Flying Lotus use? (Meaning, rather complex and experimental beats) Ableton?

Jeeez how do I into synths for real? I wanted to learn harmor but cant find good tutorials and its a lil bit too complicated atm.

I found myself gathering synth collections these days so I can be able to follow some tutorials on how to achieve specific sounds but I don't know if it is worth it.

I'd like to have some good default sounds with which I can start playing around, like one smooth sine bass, some metallic future bass, some good leads, basically just one decent set of sounds that doesn't sound like shit before mixing so I can concentrate on composition.

My go to for some basses was Nexus, I used that Attackbass a lot, but it's not good enough.

ableton

what's wrong with Serum? I thought Massive was deprecated now

Isn't it sad to see so many great musicians who barely have any followers on social media? It's pretty demotivational desu, it's not cool when nobody listens to your stuff.

Thank you very much.

learn Sytrus its really easy to use once you figure it out

also learning how to use reverb, delay, choruses and eq will further your sound design

Man, I haven't finished a track in years..
Anyone interested in some stems of unfinished shit, so stuff isn't left to rot on my hard-drive?

clyp.it/5q1j3cqo

um well. its not really abt what synth plug in you use... its a lot of mixing and compositional techniques. i find with that kind of music, its better to prioritize the atmosphere of the music. arcas music is so serene and heart touching because of the nature and feelings it provokes. he could use anything to put a track together. his music sounds like its dancing in circles, bc it is. there is a ton of very detailed automation and mega intense sample manipulation.

maybe you should take it slow, and find one sound you really like that you know is a synth and then take some time to try and recreate it. some of the sounds he uses aren't that complex, its just the way he utilizes the synth is complex.

I guess I should learn Sytrus, I heard it's a meme and "cheating" though. I know those effects more or less, but ofc, still have a lot to learn, but now I mainly want to focus on learning synthesis because I have no idea how to reproduce some sound when I want it.

No one? Still uploading though, since I always liked to tear apart tracks.

clyp.it/hdupwuhq

if it sounds good it is good, no matter what you use\

no such thing as cheating

>Cry yourself to sleep.
This.
This, so fucking much.

Anyway.
What acoustic guitar libraries does /prod/ use?

clyp.it/f4tq1lmd
R8!!!

Ample guitar M and real guitar 2,but rg2 is fucking old.

clyp.it/as3lidx3

its like an epic film score

Serum is all you need...

>clyp.it/hdupwuhq
i like it...
mine...

where do i start?

what if i sample other peoples music and pass it off as my own music?

>Ample guitar M
Downloaded the lite version of it a few days ago, I'm having tons of fun with it.

that's a completely different situation than using a vst for sound design

and you know it