Concerts

Concert Thread

>Best concert
>Worst concert
>Upcoming

I'll start
>Best concert
Sufjan Stevens Carrie and Lowel tour. Not a dry eye in the house. it was his second night and he did a few false starts because he was crying.
>Worst concert
Misfits in '04, they got boo'ed off the stage. Still happy I saw them.
>Upcoming
Boris and Earth at 9:30 club. Should be a great show, it's the reissue of Pink tour.

>Best concert
Cheap Trick and Weezer at Riot Fest '14. Both bands had a huge cround jumping and singing along. Just everything I could ask for from a big rock concert.
>Worst concert
Metallica in 2009. They sounded like shit. Didn't tune their guitars. Played shit songs, and the good songs they played sounded horrible. The Sword opened, they were 1000x better.
>Upcoming
Boris at the Metro in August.

>Best
NMH at Mountain Oasis three years ago, but more recently probably The Cure.
>Worst
Tyler the Creator
>Upcoming
Built to Spill w/ Alex G and Hop Along

>Best
Jack White and Run the Jewels at MSG in January 2015. RTJ killed it, even if they were just the opener. Jack White brought out Q-tip too and they did Black Bat Licorice and Excursions together.
>Worst
Deftones opening for SOAD back in 2012. They did this stupid shit where the singer after a few songs threw down his microphone and said "I'm done!" and walked off stage. Then he came back on, they did a few more songs and then "I'm done!" Same shit. By the end of it everyone on Twitter was like "Please be done."
>Upcoming
Kanye in Philly, Lake Street Dive, Frank Turner, and thinking about going to this Pabst-fest thing with AnCo and MacDemarco. All in October. Super hype

Northern France has great venues and it's close to belgium.

>Best Concert
I was litteraly in a trance at Acid Mothers Temple in Brussels back in October. It was the day after my 18th birthday, best weekend of my life i guess. Recently Ty Segall was fire.

>Worst Concert
Probably MGMT at a fest. Guys were obnoxious, sound was awful, and the crowd was full of hipsters dumbasses. At least i was next to a cool girl, making bubbles and smoking weed, waiting for Bertrand Cantat to rock the place.

>Upcoming
I have the opportunity to catch King Crimson in November but it's not cheap, 50€ for the worst tickets. Worth it? It's a set with three drummers.

Also : Swans, Michel Cloup Duo, probably Autechre, Kadavar, motherfucking Wovenhand, Thee Oh Sees, Terry Riley, Melt Yourself Down, and hopefullyi'll catch Yann Tiersen soon, he's performing solo and it would be fucking beautiful.

>Swans, Michel Cloup Duo, Autechre, Kadavar, Wovenhand, Thee Oh Sees, Terry Riley, Melt Yourself Down, Yann Tiersen

Northern France sure looks cool

>These threads always die fast because Sup Forums is full of people who never go to concerts

fuck.

concerts just end up making me wish i was good enough as a musician to get to their level of camaraderie with all those people

>Best
NOFX with the Bennies in Barwon Heads, Nov 2014
>Worst
The Bennies with Clowns, Axe Girl and the Shorts. I lost my ID and couldn't get in. Otherwise this would be best.
>upcoming
Frenzal Rhomb in September in Melbourne. It's a fans pick the setlist show

>Best
Brand New, Manchester Orchestra, Kevin Devine Devil and God tour in 2007. Fucking tremendous Brand New set, first time I'd heard MO and I loved them immediately, could do without KD and the GDB
Worst>
Black Dice opening for AnCo. Just noise. So loud. fucking terrible. Runner-up was Prince Rama and Sleep Over show where I was one of 5 people in attendance and it was really awkward
>Upcoming
Band of Horses in October. Not excited about newer material but I love em

>Best
Animal Collective with Dan Deacon opening. They ended with "What Would I Want? Sky" which is my favorite AnCo song and Dan Deacon was of course amazing
>Worst
Probably some shitty basement show but if we're just doing legit concerts then the second time I saw Joyce Manor. Literally 95% 15 year olds who had no idea how to act in a mosh pit. I got kicked in the head TWICE by the same stupid bitch stagediving wearing fucking DOC MARTENS.
>Upcoming
Boris performing "Pink
Guerilla Toss

>Best
Screeching Weasel last year. Sold out show that didn't get too crazy, tons of positive energy despite some fat cunt throw a beer at Ben. Like always he had a fit, but even that was fun to watch. Saw them again about two weeks ago and it wasn't the same.
>Worst
Buzzcocks in May this year. The opening act was cringy, and Buzzcocks looked like they didn't want to be there.
>Upcoming
None. Quit my job to be a full time student so I'm gonna be broke for a while

>Best
-The Who - having backstage/working crew passes meant we went wherever the fuck we wanted during the show. Band was great too.
-Melvins/Le Butcherettes @ a small bar in San Luis Obispo - super small & tight show, great crowd, and got to be like 5 feet from the performers. Also Teri is absolutely mad.

>worst
Nothing particularly bad apart from some shitty openers here and there.

>upcoming
Death Grips, Animal Collective at The Observatory. Might see Swans at the Fonda and maybe the Lennon-Claypool Delirium at The Observatory too.

Yeah these threads normally die super fast and it sucks, they used to get more responses.

I'm really waiting for someone to tell me what to expect at the Boris / Earth tour so make sure you anons post about it after.

I love Joyce Manor but the fans are little fucks. Both times for me have been fine but I stay back

>>Best concert
Protomartyr
>>Worst concert
Asap Rocky
>>Upcoming
Car seat head rest
built to spill
teen suicide
parquet courts
viet cong

>Best
Sufjan Stevens on the current tour. Just so loud, so fun, his Age of Adz-esque rendition of Seven Swans was amazing. He opened up his wing suit, smashed his banjo to pieces, and played an amazing synth solo.
>Worst
Panic! at the Disco. The guy just lip synced the entire time, did an awful cover of Bohemian Rhapsody, and I got beer poured on me.
>Upcoming
None. Going to college, no extra money.

>Best
Judas Priest with Steel Panther opening, got VIP passes to meet Panther before the show
>Worst
Testament at 2012 Aftershock festival
>Upcoming
Guns N Roses at AT&T park

WHy was tyler bad?

>Best concert
Autechre, without a doubt. Never been to a gig with that much visceral physicality - felt the bass in my bones and teeth. Total mind-bender. Omar-S was ace last time I saw him too.
>Worst concert
Foxygen. Sound was shit and the singer had a complete melt-down. Not a fun or entertaining one either - just super awkward.
>Upcoming
Actually planning on seeing Ae again this fall, but not much besides the regular club going (next up is Eric Cloutier/Mike Servito/Gunnar Haslam this Sat)

>Best
NIN With Teeth summer tour with TVOTR and Bauhaus

>Worst
Not necessarily the band was bad but Orgy at Brock by Brick SD was underwhelming, crowd was thin and terrible.

>Upcoming
DRI, Otep, and Goreguts

What happened at the rocky concert?

Every time I go to see live music, a drunk guy tries to fight me. I gave up.

>best
The Mars Volta 2006. Never seen or heard anything like it, and probably never will again.

>worst
Das Racist. Low effort is not charming live.

>Best
The Flaming Lips back in 2011, right before they peaked. I'll never experience another stage show like that again.
>Worst
Smashing Pumpkins in 2012 on their Oceania Tour. Sound mix was absolute garbage. Just a wall of indecipherable noise. The played "Hummer" and it wasn't until 3 minutes into the song that I realized what it was.
>Upcoming
Earth and Boris at Paradise Rock Club. So fucking stoked. Just saw Super Furry Animals this past Sunday. That was a really fun show too.

>best
either letlive in sxsw 2011, look mexico acoustic in 2012 or mogwai in 2014
>worst
wavves at the games i guess, the singer feels the need to say something witty between every song and i feel bad because they played fine still
>upcoming
i wanna see ttng but I'm broke so idk, might see Dance Gavin Dance again but at this point its less for me and more for my gf

I rarely go to concerts because everything good is too far away from me. Went to go see Tower of Power a couple weeks ago at Cal Expo though, it was a good show.

>Best
Sigur Rós on their last tour. Really dark and intense; there were reports of people on another stage of the festival who couldn't hear the Arctic Monkeys over them (fucking kek). Jonsi started headbutting the scenery during Popplagid and Georg threw his bass on to the ground Who-style at the end.
>Worst
Lots of shitty openers and festival acts that I suffered through involuntarily in order to get a good spot, but out of the people that I actually wanted to see, I have to say Bob Dylan. Just not enough energy, and he refuses to play the songs in recognizable arrangements. At least I lucked out and ended up sitting in the third row.
>Upcoming
Roger Waters, The Who, Radiohead for the second time.

>Best
Either Autechre or Darkside at Lollapalooza where there were maybe 50 people at the stage
>Worst
SBTRKT only because I couldn't stay to actually see him and only saw the stupidly drunk opening rapper
>Upcoming
Much like the others in this thread Earth and Boris on their upcoming tour

Also just saw Brit Floyd yesterday. Not bad, just covers and nothing fancy added to the songs. Played all the hits which I expected but they had one of their vocalists do Great Gig in the Sky and she fucking killed it, best part of the show.
>Acid Mothers Temple
They put on one hell of a show. Was front row and got my ears absolutely destroyed which finally gave me the kick I needed to start wearing earplugs.

should i go to this? what do you think?

>Best
Favourite of all time was probably Tool at Big Day Out. Never heard them before and was my first festival. Recently, probably King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. Those guys are tight as fuck.

>Worst
I've seen a lot of shitty bands at festivals, Black Veil Brides were playing before Kvelertak, so I saw them for about 10 minutes. Got bottles thrown at them. That was pretty funny.

>Upcoming

i don't think i have tickets to anything, nor is anything good coming to town that I know of. rip. just good local shit.

Fuck yeah you should go that lineup is stacked. Hell Autechre, Hecker, and M.E.S.H. I'd kill to go to that

u gonna see swans on thursday?

actually fugg gy!be and sigur ros were probably better than Tool.

who even cares though

>Best
Either Slowdive or The Garden. Slowdive was trance inducing. The Garden are just always exciting and fun, they're very involved with the audience.

>Worst
Hot Hot Heat. Saw them open for Weezer, they just were not very good live and their set dragged on forever. Even though the crowd was attempting to boo them off the stage and chant "Weezer", they continually insisted on playing multiple extra songs against the wishes of both the venue and the crowd.

>Upcoming
Alvvays, Froth, Animal Collective

>jon hopkins
>jonny
>dj shadow
>andy stott
>fucking autechre
why are you even asking dude

>Best
Run the Jewels & Joey Bada$$, joint concert which was just hype from start to end, great showmanship from both artists
>Worst
no stand out but Iron Maiden years ago soundy a little clunky
>Upcoming
The Internet on tonight which should be great
Skepta, ScHoolBoy Q, Billy Talent, Anderson Paak, Flume

As cringey as Run the Jewels has become, they put on a hell of a show

it's shame they've gone the meme rout
excited but scared about rt3

>best
Courtney Barnett
>worst
Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band
>upcoming
Car Seat Headrest
Julien Baker*
Real Estate*
Sigur Ros
Whitney

* still not decided on whether I'm going or not

I'm sure the production will be on point but the lyrics will probably be as bad if not worse than rtj2

>Best concert
Neon Indian in high school. This was when chillwave was the thing at the time and the dude played his ASS OFF. Friends and I didn't get back home till like 1:30 (which was big time back then)

>worst concert
Saw Animal Collective this past May. It was the only thing pulling me through my last year at my shitty uni, but they were so underwhelming. They only performed stuff off of Painting With.

>Upcoming
Literally JUST got home from seeing Swans. Absolutely phenomenal. Thinking about going to Mad Decent in Philly, but officially the next show will be Lil Yachty. Pumped for it.

>Mad Decent in Philly
Only act I'd see there is Baauer but if you got some you dig then go nuts

Yeah I'm not too crazy about the line up but a few mates want to go together so it could potentially be a fun summer trip

>Best concert
Flaming Lips and Primus at Red Rocks. Primus played a super long set and just fucking killed it. Flaming Lips did Dark Side of the Moon in full.
>Worst concert
Cage The Elephant and Portugal The Man. Both have really fallen off lately. Bummer.
>Upcoming
The Dear Hunter, Beach House, Okkervil River, Kishi Bashi, Beats Antique

Best: the Cure
Worst: the Growlers
Upcoming: Black Sabbath

>Best
probably any of the number of times i've seen converge. other standouts were watching boris play "flood" in its entirety and also watching mwY playing "catch for us the foxes" in its entirety. oh and death grips.

>worst
nothing specific probably just any of the shitty basement shows i've been to over the years

>upcoming
boris playing "pink", daughters, danny brown

I was waiting for my paycheck. I hope it doesn't sell out...

>Best
Twenty One Pilots in 2013. Small concert in a small venue, was amazing. Very personal. Sucks that the fanbase is so big now, can't truly experience it again.
>Worst
Nothing in particular.
>Upcoming
Watsky in Charlotte, NC.

>Best Concert
Swans and Deerhunter were both pretty fucking amazing
>Worst Concert
I saw U2 when I was a kid, not sure why I did, ended up sleeping through the entire thing, Bono did his whole "every minute a child dies" speech
>Upcoming
Boris at the Masquerade on the 30th, of Montreal at Terminal West in October

AnCo was a really good show this year, definitely see Swans if you can

i just went to a Boris / earth show a few hours ago. I'd wear earplugs for Boris since they're loud as fuck and I was very front row. Very good mix of hype jap rock and super drone, you're in for a good time

Just got back from seeing Sleep. Shit was so amazing. They played a good portion of dopesmoker

Just got back from buying tickets to see The Cure, will be my first concert.

I'm hyped as fuck to see them

Thanks, I have never done the ear plug business but it sounds like this will be the start.

>Best
Ones which stand out Sigur Rós 2012, Neutral Milk Hotel 2013, Darkside 2014, Sun Kil Moon 2015. NMH show is probably up there as my favourite though
>Worst
Prince Rama, pretentious garbage
>Upcoming
The Cure this week, then The Soft Moon in October

>Best concert
The So So Glos put up a hell of a show. See them if you like fun punk.
Thee Oh Sees last I saw them played a really long version of Soul Desert.
My Bloody Valentine was fucking great too.

>Worst concert
The Strokes was the worst show I've ever been to. They started 30 minutes late, someone stole my hat from my head, someone else tried to take my wallet from my pocket, and some girl was mad because I was "touching her" even though no one had personal space since we were all packed like tuna.
Also No Age a few months ago, the crowd was really shitty and two flat disgusting lesbians were dancing and twerking in the space the mosh pit should've been. I still really like No Age and I'm seeing them again soon.

>Upcoming
FYF
Boris and Earth
Thee Oh Sees
No Age
Death Grips
Crystal Castles maybe.

Do it
t. a person with tinnitus

Holy shit i'm French too, didnt now Wovenhand were coming. Are you going to Levitation ? it's only 50e and there is Thee Oh Sees, La Femme and Silver Apples

You don't have the right to touch her even there's no personal space tho.

yes you do

shut up pussy get sitting tickets if you cant take it

These threads are always filled with amerifats with access to great acts. When you live in a shithole in europe there's barely anything to see. I go to 1-2 festivals per year but they are local festivals that barely get any great artists, mostly good ones.

I'd do anything to see Death Grips, Sufjan Stevens, AnCo, Boris, Autechre, Andy Stott, Converge etc. but I have never seen them tour my part of europe and I don't have enough money for festival tickets AND travel

At least I saw Sleep a few months ago, that was pretty awesome and I'm going to see King Crimson in october I think

Western Europe gets more/better shows than most of the US. Euros always forget how massive the US is because unless you're one of the people living near someplace like NYC/LA/Chicago, you probably have to drive 1-4 hours to see a decent show

I saw them a week ago, it was such an amazing show. Robert Smith sounds identical live. You're gonna love it dude :^)

>1-4h drive
oh no

>tfw 12h drive to the nearest actually good festival in Poland

Where the fuck do you live? Siberia?

Beach House are always amazing, saw them last month

>Best concert
Tori Amos at the Royal Theatre in Copenhagen.
Tori is my absolute favourite. Seeing her for the first time, in an absolutely amazing venue, it blew me away.

>Worst
Rise Against at Peace and Love 2012
I had played Prayer... on GH3 so I decided to check them out. I wish the poor sound settings was the worst part of the show, but three songs in I just concluded that every song sounds the same. Only time I walked away from a concert.

>Upcoming
Kent's last ever concert at Tele2 Arena this december.

Don't miss the chance to see Wovenhand, David Eugene Edwards is incredible.

is it worth a 2 hour drive to see Destroyer by himself doing new songs in a college town I hate?

>Best
Robert Plant, fun show just enjoying good music, played whole lotta love with loads of African instruments to close

>Worst
Tyler The Creator or Stormzy

>Best
either Blur at Hyde Park in 2009 and then 2015, Ezra Furman at a tiny venue in 2015, or PJ Harvey at Field Day this Year
>Worst
saw Anohni live a few weeks ago, got the tickets way before the album came out based on how great the first two singles were and how I love Antony and the Johnsons. It wasn't so much a concert more an art installation, with her singing in front of a screen of various women miming the words while Hudson Mohawke and OPN stood behind laptops. It had no atmosphere or engagement, and while her voice was good, there was no personality at all that you want from a live show. I guess that's somewhat the point of her new look hence the masked album art, but still.
>Upcoming
Parquet Courts, Ezra Furman, The Cure
Bjork at the Albert Hall sold out in about 5 minutes while I was in the queue ffs
and PJ Harvey's playing at Brixton the same night as I'm seeing Ezra

I've missed out on so many shows in the past few years from being bogged down in work or bloody venues selling 80% of the tickets in stupid 'pre-sale' bullshit

I'm usually too poor to go to concerts, and I have to go a long way to a crowded city with shitty traffic.

Death by feedback.

NIN, Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, The Last Shadow Puppets, PJ Harvey, The Savages, Mac DeMarco, Tame Impala, HEALTH, The Hives

Best: either Soundgarden or Black Sabbath
Worst: The Hives, they weren't that bad tho
Upcoming: Eagles of Death Metal

I hope I'll see QotSA and Ladytron one day

That's a killer lineup lad. You should definitely go

The Baltic states

no one ever tours further to the east from Poland

BEST: NMH secret reunion concert

WORST: Probably nickelback

>Best
Either Sigur Ros in 2013 or GY!BE last year, they closed with East Hastings which was the song that inspired my love for post-rock so I pretty much came everywhere
>Worst
Many shitty festival acts, but probably St Vincent. Most disappointing anyway.
>Upcoming
Godspeed, ttng + Toe, Thundercat, James Blake maybe

That's good to hear, I've heard Anco is generally really great live but was hit and miss on their last tour. I'm going alone to that one, and am gonna try to get right up at the front of the venue.

Why not just move to a better country?

i think i would if i weren't socially anxious. getting the few friends / contacts I have here was already hard enough lol.

the local acts are pretty good sometimes though,

>Best
Saw Arcade Fire in Lisbon three weeks ago, was amazing. Not my favourite band (anymore) but goddamn, it was euphoric. Was down the front, standing against the rail w/ gf and everyone was singing along and dancing and having an awesome time. Radiohead in May in Amsterdam was soooo good as well
>Worst
Pixies, also in Lisbon. They didn't seem to care so I left early. They have such amazing songs but they play them without seeming like they want to be there.
>Upcoming
Tons. Lowlands Festival (Sigur Ros, LCD Soundsystem, Kamasi, James Blake), Le Guess Who (Swans, Wilco), probably PJ Harvey and Preoccupations as well

Autechre are playing in Estonia and Latvia this fall. Is that still too far?

yeah I am definitely seeing them. Black Sabbath toured here last month but that's all I can think of.

>the dude played his ASS OFF

What exactly was he playing? The play button?

>Prince Rama, pretentious garbage

>tfw I was a prince rama zombie live in london

They ain't pretentious, they're *fun*! Just check out Top 10 Hits of the End of the World, it's got a sense of humour to it.

>Best
Probably Neil Young just recently
>Worst
Elton John
>Upcoming
Jayhawks, Pixies

Best:

Front Line Assembly in Bristol, my favourite band and there were only about 100 people there, but it still went off, I love how immersive and futuristic their sound is, it's like if the film Aliens was an album.

Or maybe Rammstein at Brixton, just amazing, all those flamethrowers...even though I was at the back, I could still feel the heat of the flames against my face, it was intense. This was their performance right after they released Reise, Reise so it was especially great.

Worst:

Probably NIN in London when they didn't bother bringing any of the cool screens with them. It was fucking packed and I couldn't move an inch, so it was basically ruined, although it was made up for to some extent as this was the one performance in their history where they played through most of The Downward Spiral in order up to Reptile.

Awesome music, just a shit stage show and too fucking crowded.

>Best
Probably Muse on the 2nd Law tour. I was up in the nosebleed section but they sounded amazing. A close second would be this Iowan band called Mumford's who played at a friend's birthday party. The sound wasn't great and I could hardly hear the singer, but their energy made up for it.
>Worst
Nothing really bad outside of a few forgettable openers. I saw the Meat Puppets back in 2010 and their drummer lost his shit about halfway through and trashed his kit. And both times I saw Yo La Tengo they did an acoustic set that nearly put me to sleep, but the electric sets they did afterward felt like Red Bull in my veins by comparison.
>Upcoming
Ghost, Tobacco, and hopefully Riot Fest if I can find someone to go with.

>Best concert
Lollapalooza 1991. I was tripping balls and it was so hot. The dust was kicking up from the dancing and crazy pits everywhere... and then the fucking skype opened up and the rain poured. It was a great feeling.

Also, Nirvana at Roseland in 93... the infamous OD show. The show itself was good, but I think nostalgia plays a big part in my memories.

>Worst concert
GnR/Metallica/Faith No More - Giants stadium. The sound was shit, and GnR sucked so bad... Metallica was good and amped it up because of Axl and his bullshit. Faith No More was amazing though.

>Upcoming
Phantogram, Die Antwoord, and I just got my Tix for Temple of the Dog from Ten Club... so pretty psyched for that.

bump

Going to see ween come august in Philly.

gonna see the so so glos open for rocket from the crypt tomorrow, saw them like a month or two at the market hotel, was pretty fun, caught a pick from one of the openers. market hotel is a pretty great venue

lucky man. really want to see a doom metal band play live, the vibrations must be boner-worthy. hoping to see monolord next time they're in NY

i wanna go see death grips but really not fussed with getting pushed around, etc. like some of the past shows have been. any tips to avoid this shit? i just wanna enjoy the music t b h

stay in the back?

>Best concert
Kendrick
>Worst
Schoolboy Q
>Upcoming
Radiohead
RHCP
Grimes
Logic
Mac Miller
Death Cab