Can any punk/post-punk bands actually play their instruments proficiently?

Can any punk/post-punk bands actually play their instruments proficiently?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rs8RVDoErNs
redsea.bandcamp.com/track/participation-3
youtu.be/zuQWN9ehfrk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Television and the cure I'm pretty sure are good at their instruments

I'm not asking this is a cynical/ironic way either. Punk is my favorite genre. It's just that there is the nption that bands play punk because they can't do anything else, and there might be some truth to it.

Did it occur to you that making something seem effortless and amateurish while still sounding pleasing and engaging sort of requires you to actually be able to understand and play your instrument proficiently?

The Stranglers and The Ruts were probably the most technically proficient original punk bands

The Pop Group desu

Bands like Television, Talking Heads, Swans, and Wire all have high levels of proficiency

Propaghandi are pretty great players

>Swans
>high levels of proficiency
The progression from noise to harmony in their discography is literally Gira learning to make actual songs.

Fugazi

>learning to make actual songs.
retard

I heard the guitarist from Television didn't even listen to rock, he was into jazz/classical then got into playing punk.

The chameleons have some of the best guitar I've heard in a post punk band

Nomeansno

also this

there's a difference between sloppy or jagged performances, but it has no bearing on the technical proficiency of the artists themselves

you can have bands who are skilfull musicians, yet perform with a very unkempt and imperfect presentation, like:
youtube.com/watch?v=rs8RVDoErNs

or you can have that really precise, sharp and angular style which works well for the more deconstructed/cerebral post-punk stuff, like:
redsea.bandcamp.com/track/participation-3

both require different skill sets and demand different playing styles, but neither are in any case 'bad' musicians

god propaghandi are great, probably have to be in the conversation for best punk bands of all time. Also- We Versus The Shark, Big Dick, Pegasuses-Xl, Bad Brains, not so much early black flag but ginn is an amazing guitarist. idk i mean for every band thats just shitty 3 chords cuz thats all they know theres another that features people who play well and write well with their instruments.

I saw Swans last night dude. Gira is a phenomenal player.

Being a good guitarist doesn't automatically mean being a good composer/arranger

Yup.

A lot of the interplay between the guitar parts on Marquee Moon mirror that of a jazz ensemble.

Of course he's good now 35 years later.

dat sweet sweet reverb

iceage and ought, at least in the contemporary post punk scene, outplay just about everyone

Hard Girls and After the Fall deserve a mention. As does Jay Reatard

>The progression from noise to harmony in their discography is literally Gira learning to make actual songs.

>actual songs

damn if what's on earlier swans aren't actual songs then gira must be some sort of savant

>the contemporary post punk scene
This doesn't exist.

If I'm not cheating and actually talking about PUNK bands and not punk era or punk attitude bands who musically aren't even close like Television probably Dead Kennedys or Bad Brains.

how many bands have you seen in the contemporary post-punk scene live?

62 you fucking idiot, great question

I count 61, who am I missing?

dis heat

This
Good punk bands are masters at making tricky instrumentals sound easy
Like Ramones riffs are surprisingly complex for three chord melodies, they have all these tricky rhythms and you have to play them fast

Hot Snakes

parquet courts (^:

The minimalism is a deliberate choice.

Fugazi
Pere Ubu

these

i'd say gang of four are pretty technically proficient, the interlocking rhythm between the instruments and the use of gaps of silence as a composition tool is fantastic

the minutemen were all incredible musicians, and i think you can classify their material as post-punk starting with what makes a man start fires

After all this no The Mars Volta? Omar and his band mates are ultra proficient in playing instruments. They even cross genres if it is deemed so.

Just look at these madmen.
youtu.be/zuQWN9ehfrk

>the mars volta
>post-punk

Dead kennedys are pretty good

This. Entertainment is a muthafuckin masterpiece

Wipers

OP said Punk or Post-Punk. If I remember they are Hardcore.

Solid Gold is amazing too. Songs of the Free not so much but I Love a Man in a Uniform is pretty sweet for a left-wing take on disco.

they're like a prog rock take on post-hardcore, which is stretching the definition of "punk/post-punk" pretty far

Keith Levene of Public Image Ltd.