Classical

>Classical
>Has existed for centuries
>Has countless styles, and each performance is a new and invigorating listen

>Jazz
>Has existed for a century
>Countless different styles recorded since its dawn; thousands of entirely unique improvised recordings out there, ensuring you will never get bored

>Trad
>As old as humanity
>Recorded from around the world from pretty much every culture (bar American white people), showcasing unique and interesting tastes of what our world has to offer and always being a unique listen

>Popular music (bleeps, rock, etc.)
>Has existed for half a century
>Has already run out of ideas; every song sounds exactly the same with the only differences being minor aesthetic qualities that mean nothing to the actual composition or quality of the piece (lyrics, production, etc.). Every song is inherently simple by nature bar some prog, which is just shitty classical being played on electronic instruments.
>Exists only to sell venue tickets / CDs; zero authenticity

Why do you listen to popular music again? In fifty years, you won't be listening to it and everyone will have forgotten about it; meanwhile, intellectuals have been listening to Bach for as long as there has been Bach to listen to.

Other urls found in this thread:

wrongplanet.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=4
wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=290151
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz#Origins
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Sweeping generalizations of genres

For every Alice Coltrane, there's a George Benson and Kenny G

>CDs
what are you like 40?

Why is jazz always put on the same level as classical music?

Its something I don't understand. Music snobs lump Jazz and Classical together as the "superior" music as opposed to Popular music. Classical I understand- it has lasted all these years for a reason. But Jazz, I don't get it. Jazz has a lot more in common with Popular music- it just sounds like a bunch of musicians got together and can't decide on which song to play. Also, little emotion in Jazz.

I have nothing against Jazz musicians- I do agree it takes skill and all of that. But why is it considered an "elevated" form of music? This is true in most colleges and universities even- they have a Jazz Department. They do not have a Country and Western department. Its complete opposite of Classical music to my ears. I don't hate Jazz, to me its nice for background music at a coffee shop or bookstore, but to sit down and listen to it , no thanks!

In Classical there is more emotion usually, although I don't understand I-talian Operas very well. But I see why people respect Classical music as a higher level of music- and I don't take offense at that. But why Jazz?

This is godawful bait

Here's your (You)

>spotify
how it feels to slowly kill the music industry? you´re poison running in their veins

wrongplanet.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=4

>sounds like a bunch of musicians got together and can't decide on which song to play
>little emotion
>complete opposite of Classical
>nice for background music

it's not that you simply can't into jazz, it's that you don't respect it and the decades of serious development it has undergone. jazz is incredibly influenced by western classical and the best jazz musicians were masters of the classical realm. Jazz is considered an "elevated" (lol) form of music because it takes an incredible amount of theoretical study, listening, practicing and open mindedness to be even a decent jazz musician, and maybe if you took the time to really sit down, explore this huge genre and find things you liked instead of being a cunt and generalizing a whole art form that has become a symbol of american culture as shitty background music with no substance, you'd see things differently and become a more well-rounded and open-minded listener.

>Also, little emotion in Jazz.

>american culture

You mean African via the proxy of American slavery.

wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=290151

Black and African aren't the same thing. Jazz is a distinctly American genre.

What a shitty forum

nope.avi

By 1866, the Atlantic slave trade had brought nearly 400,000 Africans to North America.[27][28] The slaves came largely from West Africa and the greater Congo River basin, and brought strong musical traditions with them.[29]

The African traditions primarily make use of a single-line melody and call-and-response pattern, and the rhythms have a counter-metric structure and reflect African speech patterns.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz#Origins

Its an autism forum, you'd fit right in.

By that standard any American folk music is just European folk music by proxy of immigration. Having a basis in African musical traditions doesn't make it an African genre

yeah, it really does

>In fifty years, you won't be listening to it and everyone will have forgotten about it
[citation needed]

Dude you're about as close to being objectively wrong as I've ever seen anyone be on this website

Jazz is rooted in African traditional music, the blues, and western classical. The chords, harmony and structure of "white" classical dominate jazz. It is a hybrid genre that brings people of all cultures together. Any scholar of music will tell you the same thing and fuck off with your wikipedia articles.

>be making jazz
>get enslaved and shipped to America
>continue as before

Now you're blatantly making shit up. Show me an example of traditional African music that would be recognizable as jazz made post-transatlantic slave trade

>K-pop
>Has existed from decades
>Has countless styles and genres, demanding nothing but excellence from the performers

>implying there were recordings then

Then how can you claim that there was music comparable to jazz made during that time period????