Holy shit, I never paid much attention to this album but it just clicked for me...

Holy shit, I never paid much attention to this album but it just clicked for me. This is the first time I cried to music, I feel like an idiot.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tL2w_exxt0k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

my favorite album, bar none

Casimir makes me cry every time, no shame

>tfw no album has make me cry

This is also my favourite album

Don't feel like an idiot user, if you stop trying to view albums objectively and just listen to them you'll feel a deeper connection to them. Start by leaving this shithole and you'll start to enjoy music more.

This is one of the few double albums that are actually worth listening entirely.

John Wayne Gacy Jr. Is and will always be my favorite Sufjan song.

Top 3 songs from Illinoise?
>Casimir Pulaski Day
>The Predatory Wasp
>The Black Hawk

the first song
clown song
and last somg

The Sufjan song that has made me cry is Futile Devices, it hits very close to home

For me is the same, except instead of The Black Hawk is The Man of Metropolis
>

>Concerning the UFO Sighting...
>Come On! Feel the Illinoise!
>They Are Night Zombies!...

not overly familiar with Sufjan's discog but i love this record. I remember Age of Adz and Michigan being pretty great too. Always ended up preferring the grandiose songs a bit more

It's really not that good

how could you cry to this corny shit?

I really liked it the first 10 or so times I listened to it but it didn't really have much staying power for me. Also if I hear someone put Casimir Pulaski Day on at a party again I'm going to stab them with the closest sharp object, so help me god.

>John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
>Come On! Feel the Illinoise!
>The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts

This album is absolutely incredible I agree. The follow up Age of Adz is my all time fav album.

>John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
I dunno, I enjoy the song, but it has a pretty corny and forced metaphor.

I'm too afraid to listen to this album or any of his other albums but I'm not sure why. I hate folk music since it's always let me down but I feel like I'm missing something.

>folk music

this is baroque pop

What's the metaphor, sorry.

It's a song about a serial killer who dressed like a clown for birthday parties. He hired teenage boys for day labor, raped, then murdered them, and stashed the bodies in the house. It's pretty straightforward.

>And in my best behavior
>I am really just like him
>Look beneath the floor boards
>For the secrets I have hid
Implying "in a way, we're ALL like John Wayne Gacy cause we all have hidden secrets and try to act normal!"

At least that's my interpretation.

Fucking kek

wow that's really deep he must be a pretty troubled guy what a tortured brooding genius

Who the fuck puts Casimir Pulaski Day on at a party?

OH GOD OF PROGRESS

HAVE YOU DEGRADED OR FORGOT US

>tfw the only good thing to come out of my hometown is a song on this album

any given horn-rim adorned snoreathon quirkmaster

It's just Sufjan basically humanizing John Wayne Gacy because he feels society often views them as sub human even though they're often just really fucked up broken people. This isn't to say they should be accepted, but that people should gain more perspective on how horrific these people are in a human way instead of viewing them as movie monsters.

There isn't much of a metaphor.

On top of that his final point is that all sins are forgiven by God. These horrific men are still loved by God.

I like that interpretation too, but I still think the stanza I quoted is pretty odd. I mean, he's comparing the literal decomposing bodies of young men to... what? What could you possibly appropriately compare that to?

I dunno, it's still a good song nevertheless.

wow so deep xD

He's not trying to be deep. Just expressing his current thoughts. It's really easy to dismiss media by saying it failed at trying to be deep. A lot of writers aren't trying to be deep.

>analyzing lyrics = deep
lol

Swans is better

Shit album, by shit """"musician""""

Im tired of reading hipsters say he is amazing, he is shit

This album didn't make me cry

I didn't hear any sad lyrics throughout the album? And the music was happy as Fuck

Did I do something wrong?

explain

listen to it again, it definitely has very sad moments

All the glory when he took our place
But he took my shoulders and he took my face
And he takes and he takes and he takes

Gud album desu.

Although I think I've listened to it too much. I'm starting to like Michigan and Age of Adz more now.

were you paying attention to casimir pulsaki day or half of the songs on the album?

predatory wasp
casimir pulaski
ufo sighting

Correct!

Honestly anyone that isn't just reciting Heidegger is a fucking hack.

>Predatory Wasp
>Out of Egypt
>Concerning the UFO Sighting

This is his best song and nothing can tp it

youtube.com/watch?v=tL2w_exxt0k

Casimir pulaski day
The man of metropolis steals our hearts
Chicago

Casimir
Chicago
UFO

>Tallest Man
>Predatory Wasp
>Night Zombies

expected a VU cover and was disappointed

>In the morning at the great divide, with my shirt tucked in and my shoes untied, I am crying in the bathroom

Replace three songs from Illinoise with three songs from The Avalanche.

The Workers... replaced with Inaugural Pop Music
Jacksonville replaced with The Henney Buggey Band
Prairie Fire... replaced with Dear Mr. Supercomputer

I think the idea could also be that we demonize people like him but in the end we are all human and capable of the same things.

THIS

Ok so i don't like Sufjan Stevens generally but i fucking love this album somehow. Does anyone know something similar i might like?

All Delighted People

makes you think...

wtf i hate fedora-comebacks now

This Casimir Pulaski day is about Sufjan's friend/once girlfriend dying of bone cancer. By the end he almost calls God selfish for taking so much away from her, and finally her away from Sufjan.
Definitely some heavy feels there

Age of adz is better