So I've listened to de mysteriis dom sathanas, all of Burzums stuff...

So I've listened to de mysteriis dom sathanas, all of Burzums stuff, and some Bathory but where do I go from here as far as black metal?

I'm looking for more 90's stuff because I feel like modern black metal is just watered down versions of the early stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DbwPJyD5Px4
youtube.com/watch?v=S8cI7I1I118
youtube.com/watch?v=EMXvwTXR57w
youtube.com/watch?v=ettzGLrFGLo
youtube.com/watch?v=E4Lb-1PE5SY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Modern black metal isn't watered down, unless you look at surface layer bands like Cradle, Liturgy, Deafheaven, etc. But anyways
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Satanic Warmaster - Cerelain Satanic Madness
Sacrafago - INRI
Essentially look at a bunch of RYM black metal lists.

youtube.com/watch?v=DbwPJyD5Px4

youtube.com/watch?v=S8cI7I1I118

youtube.com/watch?v=EMXvwTXR57w

youtube.com/watch?v=ettzGLrFGLo

youtube.com/watch?v=E4Lb-1PE5SY

>modern black metal is just watered down versions of the early stuff

Nah. But you should still listen to Ulver and Emperor, at least.

You honestly think Deafheaven and Liturgy are watered down versions of early black?
They are the guys actually doing something different, for better or worse.

Yea pretty much, I don't like either band because they come into a genre and try to completely change it, and also rip off a bunch of other bands. Bands like Panopticon, Drowning the Light, and Syvij Yar are newer bands that are actually doing something different. I don't wanna start a fight though, I love you

But you can't call this new project 'black metal', because they are spaced from the root of the first Europe black metal. Deafheaven is really a great project, but for me it's not black metal, but something different like Alcest with scream, specially in their first album.

Anyway, if you like black metal, why not try first Leviathan, Nachtmystium or Profanatica?

If you like Europe black metal try:

-Gorgoroth
-Ragnarock
-Behexen (Demo are in the '90, fist album '00)
-Beherit
-Dark Funeral
-Impaled Nazarene
-Marduk

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the northern Sky, Under a funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger
Master's Hammer - Ritual
Behemoth - from the pagan Vastlands
Gorgoroth - Pentagram
Gorgoroth - Antichrist
Blut aus Nord - Ultima Thule
Deströyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves
Emperor - In the nightside Eclipse
Forgotten Woods - Sjel av natten
Gehenna - First Spell
Graveland - The Celtic Winter
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Marduk - Dark Endless
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Summoning - Stronghold
Taake - Nattestid Ser Porten Vid
Ulver - Bergtatt

...should get you started.

In my dreams, I'll one day just find a crate full of black metal album and then, I'll be cultured and able to rule these threads.

Thank you this is more than enough but I can't wait for november when I listen to nothing but black metal

>No mention of Immortal

Shame on you!

Their three first albums are BM classics, and among the best in the genre. Pure Holocaust and Battles in the North especially.

Oh true, I just blanked I guess. Pure Holocaust is amazing, I have dishonored my famiry.

modern black metal is mostly watered down, with a few exceptions
here is where you go next
>Absolutely Necessary
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Gorgoroth - Antichrist
Dissection - The Storm of Light's bane
Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun

>Ambient
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon (Warewolf, Semen and Blood summarizes how weird and...wrong this feels)
Mutiilation - Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul (Depressing)
Paysage d'Hiver - S/T (Transcendent)
Ulver - Bergtatt (Chill & folksy)

>Epic
Graveland - Thousand Swords (The sound of romanticised medieval battle)
Summoning - Dol Guldur (Keybord focused lord of the rings metal)
Vlad Tepes & Belketre - March to the Black Holocaust (Belketre's half is darker but people tend to like Vlad Tepes more so I count it more)
Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract (Heavy metal-ish bm)

>Harsh
Weakling - Dead as Dreams (2000 but really fuckin good. both harsh and epic)
Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom (War Metal, in your face)
Ildjarn - Norse (Raw as blistering cold, dry winds on unprotected skin)
Marduk - Opus Nocturne (similar to blasphemy but less in your face and more long winded)

Yeah for sure
In my opinion neither Liturgy nor Deafheaven are black (especially Liturgy) though I love the former

Calling them watered down is just not right

Inquisition is necessary in any list of essentials. So damn good

95% of recent black metal is actually more complex and refined than 2nd wave stuff.

2nd wave BM is minimal, bare-bones and raw as fuck.

You could say that some recent BM is watered down insofar as it isn't as PURE as 2nd wave BM, but that would be a clumsy analogy since the inclusion of other elements usually spices it up instead of making it more dull.

>modern black metal
>watered down

>Revenge
>Deathspell Omega before Paracletus and Drought
>Hades Archer
>Sect Pig
>Sammath with their 2014 album
>the influx of death metal influenced black metal like Pseudogod
>any of these at all watered down

different guy
liturgy is not watered down it is something different from black metal with a couple aspects of bm thrown in. Aesthetica is essentially early swans with a bit of filosofem thrown in. I don't like early swans. both swans and liturgy seem to operate under the idea that the surface aesthetics of an album (like timbre and lyrical themes), rather than the composition, are the source of quality in an album.

deafheaven is similarly a mix of shoegaze, post-rock, and melodic hardcore (think title fight), but they actually do have some parts that are watered down (such as vertigo).

OP here

I recently stopped hanging out with some of my best friends because I've just outgrown them and I just feel like I don't really belong to one group of people so black metal is just perfect for this isolation.

Thanks for sharing and keep sharing!!

Sorry. You're right. I like even the new Abbath solo album.

See them live. AMAZING!

>essentially early swans
Shellac actually

He's new man, like I said he's probably just heard Deafheaven and Liturgy, or Cradle. Giv slack mah boi.
And to add to that
Panopticon
Archgoat
Striborg
Xasthur
Syvij Yar
Caladan Brood
Also glad you likey

there's nothing amazing about Inquisition live, they have zero theatrics and barely interact with the crowd, they're just two chubby 40-something guys in corpsepaint.

yeah i mostly agree
liturgy only uses black metal timbres to achieve something completely different

it is drone based rock, is close to accurate

I'd recommend it, but it's not essential in the sense that hearing it gives you a much better understanding of the tropes that assign bm. it's something I'd recommend hearing after the essentials.

most of the elements of added complexity are there for the sake of sheer novelty, rather than serving a purpose in the music, see also: dream theater. not to say that progressive means bad, but modern bm tends to incorporate new elements for their own sake rather than the purpose of expression.

Revenge, DsO, and Hades Archer are watered down. Sammath is not. IDK about the rest

see im not extremely familiar with the best fit because i don't like noise rock or no wave. I just know that Aesthetica fits way better into noise rock than metal

ITT: embryos

I'd give you some recs OP, but I don't want to spoonfeed these mongs in the process.

How Revenge watered down? Each new album they make sounds more primitive than the one before, with the starting point for this process being all the way back when Conqueror released War Cult Supremacy.

Deathspell Omega are in no way watered down on their works before Paracletus. None of those albums have wank, just really fucking fast riffs that are made of dissonant chords. Paracletus is basically melancholic pop though.

Hades Archer is now watered down, but on the Penis Metal EP and For The Diabolical Ages LP they add a Sodom/Sarcofago but of thrash to the Blasphemy formula that just makes that type of music more intense, and also one of the few bands in that style that make it work by successfully going away from Blasphemy's actually poppy songwriting style.

Modern black isn't watered down, there are lots of bands formed after the millenium that still sound similar to the 90s bands
You need French black metal.
Murmuüre
Deathspell Omega
Blut Aus Nord
Merrimack
Pestre Noire

So? Black metal is anti-music. it's a genre about hate and misanthropy. The secret is the atmosphere or the music, not how they interact with public and do shitty satanic things.

>anti-music
"no"
>the rest of your post
literally didn't read

this, all these bands are a pretty interesting take on black metal while staying mostly true to the spirit of bm

Rec for more bands like Deafheaven?

idk ask in a post rock thread

>Blackgaze, Atmospheric Black Metal

What portions of Deafhaven remind you of TF?

this is a good thread, ty guys

Funeralbloom, nic (black bar) , Clouds Collide
Blackgaze in general

You've listened the worst mayhem album, a meme band, and just some of the best band ever.

First listen to all of bathory stuff. Mayhem's Live on Leipzig. Emperor's Wrath of the Tyrant is what you're looking for