/prod/ - Music Production General

idk what it does xdddd edition

Learn how to make your drums very very way more thumpier.

Remember to:
>use clyp.it for WiPs
>ignore soundcloud posters shilling their soundcoud

Join the discord, where we have civil political discussion.
discord.gg/cDREG

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ (embed)

>/prod/ wiki
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/iuzipbjp
youtube.com/watch?v=r6PUCJPc5aM
clyp.it/2plwg3ok
ableton.com/en/packs/max-live-essentials/
clyp.it/jkt02asp
clyp.it/x2kok3fe
youtube.com/watch?v=ABhroJS3bEM
smile.amazon.com/Mackie-CR-CR3-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B00KVEIY4E/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1469831661&sr=1-3&keywords=studio monitors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup
clyp.it/nzsuzkis
clyp.it/ibsgslqa
clyp.it/xnxlan5x
clyp.it/yf5i5ts5
clyp.it/xaudf01u
smile.amazon.com/dp/B0080K2KUK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=36UPTTVKDU5JB&coliid=IU7LDUH14RXKX
clyp.it/t4oazazw
clyp.it/2wgsndef
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I just recorded this demo the lyrics are just ad-libbed.
What do you guys think?
clyp.it/iuzipbjp

Where do I torrent Serum?

google

Every version repeatedly asks for serial no matter how many times I enter it.

new remix. bass at 1:30 is a lot fatter than the old shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=r6PUCJPc5aM

a lack of open hats and rides jammin over this makes me uncomfortable

i guess i can do a simple pattern with them here and there up till 1:30... but 1:30 and the bars after that need to be flat to help that bass sound fluctuate or whatever.

I am trying to make my kick bust through everything so that it's really spacey. I think my sidechaining method is okay, at this point I really think it's my kick samples and how I layer them, I feel like there's something wrong that's making the kick not so punchy (compression on the kick too I guess). also the vibes solo might not work, not sure

clyp.it/2plwg3ok

Anyone know where I can download this? ableton.com/en/packs/max-live-essentials/

>clyp.it/2plwg3ok
does the thing playing or kicks have an ADSR?
either shrink the wave form a bit or reduce A and increase D and S a bit...

usenet... audionews..

rut or probably even tpb

I like the ideas in the track, for me the sidechaining is far too severe tho, I feel like it's pulling on my eardrums each time the kick hits because the instrument levels dip so much.

A little more click from the higher end of the kick would help with audibility and punch without having to clear away all of the other sounds.

clyp.it/jkt02asp

>wonky
>r&b

added some vox overdubs, rerecorded some melodies - advice appreciated

had this problem too, not sure if there's a way around that. shit gets real annoying

how do i go about making drone/spacey ambient or should i just dump reverb and delay on any random shit

I changed the sample AND messed around with the kick envelope. As far as it sidechaining too much, is it still bad? this is something I don't normally do so i'm having a hard time determining if the kick/sidechain is good vs what i want to hear

clyp.it/x2kok3fe

If your DAW is Abelton then you might get some ideas from this drone tutorial. I thought it was neat. youtube.com/watch?v=ABhroJS3bEM

What is everything I need for making techno, I'm talking VST's, sample packs, tutorials, send 'em at me

smile.amazon.com/Mackie-CR-CR3-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B00KVEIY4E/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1469831661&sr=1-3&keywords=studio monitors

Cop or no?

>clyp.it/jkt02asp
super feeling this, just a feel good head nod kinda groovin' time.

My only concern is that the understated kick and the understated snap (I do like the snap concept) are just a bit TOO understated. maybe u could drop in a quiet 2nd layer kick (something a lil more transient heavy to ensure its audible) / snare (maybe a super short clap, somethin) for the chorus section, so the drums evolve a bit.

Worth tryin i think. Nice one.

vengeance essentials and nexus

Dope as fuck.

I'm in love with this sound man. Could you perhaps tell us what instrument and effect VSTs you used for this?

I just really love this.

Any modern DAW- and you COULD stop there.

'the machine' or similar sample pack with vintage drum machine samples. I would shout out the bouncing beats sample pack, and the Best Service Drums overkill pack (35,000 drums sorted by type).

Sample some weird fucked up sounds from your favorite records, throw them in your daw's sampler and manipulate them.

3rd party synth plugins not required so long as your DAW has a good'n. Most of them do at this point. But if you had to pick some,

- Massive or Serum (wavetable synths)
- Zebra2 (good general swiss army knife)
- FM8 (FM synth- can load original Yamaha DX7 patches from the 80s that are pure cheese, but got Some mileage in techno)
- Audiorealism Bassline (for getting squelchy TB-303 acid techno/house basslines).
- Diva (if you have a hard on for 'muh vintage synth sounds')
- A kick synth could come in handy- check out "Sonic Academy Kick 2", "BazzISM"- or, yet again, use your stock daw subtractive synth.

You don't need any of those, but sure they are fun. You could make legit techno with stock everything ableton / FL / Logic (I'm a logic user, and the stock ES2 synth is still my go to for most basic synthesis missions).

>clyp.it/x2kok3fe
it sounds a lot better... its there but it isnt like BZZZZ B-BZZZZ all over the place.

Bump

Where can I torrent ableton?

I don't wanna just use any sketchy download on tpb

awesome thanks for the advice!

Audionews

can you touch up vocals with wah?

the dr luke samples, whatever packs of breaks or drum machine samples you can find kicking around, stormdrum or other percussion sample libraries

It's still pulling at my ears a little but it is much, much better.

It really appeals to me musically because it's the kinda stuff I like to make so I don't want to give you any direction to go in, I'd worry then that it would steer you away from your own idea of how the thing should sound. Having said that what I'd do next is some high frequency stuff like some nice crisp hihats and chime-y sounds - maybe a bell tree every now and again and some agogos or a vibra slap, stuff that will add sparkly bits.

The trick to the top-end percussion would be not to sidechain it - instead allow the electric piano to swell and dip underneath but to have this sheen of percussion that kinda floats on top with some nice airy reverb.

The high end is something I know is not there, and it's probably gonna be the hardest part, but i'm gonna do just as you said. I might give the high end it's own bus and side chain it very lightly.. not sure. But i will definitely take your advice and try to add some good high end percs in there.

Two KRK VXT 8s + KRK12sHO = Perfect home system?

So I have a drum machine a synth (with built-in arpeggiator), and a few keyboards.

What else would I need for a computerless setup? I am guessing a sequencer and mixer?

Can those octa-track things? Know what I'm talking about? Those really hyped up drum machines? Do they work like most drum machines where you can say turn off the high-hats etc.

Is there a drum machine out there that has like, 1/64 steps, loadable samples, and customizable like beats to a loop. Like rather than 16 or 8 it could be set to 24, or even be set to go to 6 then 12 then back to 6?

If not, why has nobody made this.

idk what you are on about but this is the drum machine I have this

Is there a drum machine out there that has like,
>1/64 steps
mine does (pretty sure anyway)
>loadable samples
does not have this feature
>customizable like beats to a loop. Like rather than 16 or 8 it could be set to 24
mine has this feature
>or even be set to go to 6 then 12 then back to 6?
mine does this too.

Don't realy care about the sample thing because
A-it already has nice sounds
B-I plan on also getting one of those sampler things panda bear uses

>mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki
You fuckko's need to update your section on modular synths.

No where do you list the cost of them, or really get into what modular synthesis is

Also no word to analog synthesizers

I didn't consider that. I always thought that thing was just a less expensive 808.

it's expensive because it's vintage numbnuts

the tr8 is a pretty nice machine but it won't hold its value, digital stuff never does. the Elektron gear will, that stuff is incredibly well done. Roland hasn't done anything good in a while

I wouldn't buy a tr8, and if I were to I'd wait until the price goes down.

Best thing it has going for it are the pretty lights

anybody have or know of a pack of acoustic drum breaks that aren't those same bunch of "classic hip hop breaks"

Octatrack is a sampler/audio processor in a groovebox format. It can do divisions of 16 but you need to fuck around with the sample retrig or you need to double tempo.

The amen break is a good start I think, for learning to play drums. It doesn't take all too much practice to learn to play minus the hi-hats it's possible to improvise variations on that. Same goes for other breaks I'd imagine.

It's pretty nice, and yeah I agree about the resale thing; good thing I have no plans to sell it. I got it a year ago and I just checked, it's still the same price. Maybe it will go down when they come out with a new drum machine but idk when that will be.
I actually hate those damned lights. I usually use it in a very dim room and they can be really overpowering.

i meant like a pack of breaks to sample senpai but thanks for the response

aayyyyy

>"I didn't want to make my own drum beats, I just wanted to take a sample and use that instead"
never
gonna
make it

the whole aria line is hideous

Who said he didn't want the to cut individual hits out of?

You can sample and sequence beats you fucco, that's what everyone does to the amen break. I'm actually intersted in some drum breaks too so I can slice 'em up

Why do a lot of industry elites avoid FL Studio? I think the man who you should trust is the only big time producer who uses it.

I'd be cool if you strapped the vocoder to your waste line along with a speaker box and went around talking to people.

A slightly different version clyp.it/nzsuzkis

Actually you were right on, the high end shouldn't be sidechained at all hahah

tell that to everyone who ahs ever looped a break and been more successful than you

that's a lot of people, you'd better get started on this soon

>never heard of chopping breaks
>thinks he has authority to discern who will and who will not make it
~summer~

peep a listen senpai
break i chopped plays for the first 4 bars
clyp.it/ibsgslqa

wew

They wouldn't just think you're an autistic retard, they'd think you're an autsistic retard for choosing the aria line when they could've just used a microKorg

(noOffenseIntended)

To be honest though, the TR-8 is sort of limited in the fact that it can only do a maximum of 32 steps in a pattern, it's impossible to place a beat in between step 1 and 2 like you could in a daw actually. At least with the machine alone, as far as I know. There is a delay function but I'm not sure about it.

I think it's worth it just to have custom digital-analogue 808 sounds. But it is fun to play with

>TR-8 is sort of limited in the fact that it can only do a maximum of 32 steps in a pattern
Each memory bank can hold a pattern up to 32 steps but you can make it so it plays, say, the first three loops (total of 96 steps) or, numbers 4-6, etc...

Yeah about that other thing I don't really know.

I broke it and now after every loop the claps keep getting higher in pitch send help

just leave it, that sounds fantastic

acoustic drum breaks pls

thanks senpai

clyp.it/xnxlan5x

>Ambient, DnB, 808 drums.

Posted here a few days ago. People said the bass didn't mix it well so I've added a kick at the start of the bass and raised it a little bit but not so much so that it peaks.

Opinions?

Didn't mix in well*

Hey, I'm that user who has been posting this one slow sp00ky song in these threads for the past few months. It's nearing completion, can anyone give me advice on what to change?

clyp.it/yf5i5ts5

To much ornamentation on that break. Do you have all the versions of that break or just the 6 second ya/woo part? Second part that starts at 2:30 sounds like you just stuck one idea at the end of another.

rekt

two beats I made from the same sample, stitched together because im lazy

and yes the first one is a straight ripoff of knxwledge

clyp.it/xaudf01u

If you buy a $100 pair of monitors you're gonna get your money's worth, which is to say, not much. If they're your first set of monitors ever it's probably okay for just producing, don't expect to get any serious mixing done on them though.

Do you think the break beat is too much? And I agree about the second half. I wanted to make the later half have a more handmade beat. I think a better transition will maybe help it not feel like a different idea smashed with another one.

You can really get by with just one really good synth plugin as long as you have a good set of effects to go with it. Since techno is very focused on sound design you'll want a powerful synth that can do a lot of different things, so something like a wavetable synth (Serum, Massive) might be a good choice, or an FM synth like FM8 that can do a lot of different things too. If you're really creative you can get pretty far with even just a basic Analog synth, certainly some flavors of techno are gonna prefer an analog sound.

Some kind of drum synth or set of drum samples is a good idea, but it's rewarding to make your own drum sounds as well.

Realistically you probably have everything you _need_ in your DAW already, so try to master what you have already. If after you do that you find you're lacking something, then you can branch out and find more tools you'd like to use.

Techno is a very DIY kind of genre, so there's not really just one set of tools for it.

Yeah, did some research and found these. Going with them instead.

smile.amazon.com/dp/B0080K2KUK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=36UPTTVKDU5JB&coliid=IU7LDUH14RXKX

Those aren't studio monitors

They're pretty flat though. But if not what would you recommend?

iirc rutracker has one that doesn't have this problem

just get rockit 5s

Actually, I'm fucking dumb. Those are pretty awesome.

I just saw all those inputs on the back and thought they were like home theater speakers.

i'm way late on replying but i should probably switch over to ableton at some point but i'm broke and i'm damn tired of shitty torrents that end up not working. i've been rocking fl studio 10 for like 3 years now

how do i find inspiration to actually start producing again :(

Thanks for helping me out anyway m8. Yeah all those plugs are for various input methods.
Those are pretty good I see tons of them at this local small recording studio. Might just cop those and save a couple hundred.

Aye, as others have told you those aren't monitors. But you should consider getting a pair of JBL LSR305.
They have more accurate bass compared to the rockit 5's and have a wider listening sweet spot. They're also good for the price as well.

so I got a trial of ableton and started experimenting with next to no knowledge about producing and several hours later here's the result. kind of andy stottish with a dj shadow esque kind of approach to structure and voice samples etc

clyp.it/t4oazazw

thoughts on it and what I can do to improve it?
(contains sample of bjork 'frosti' and a julianna barwick song that I can't remember)

bump

Sidechain is too heavy, but I love it. Reminds me a lot of Phantasy Star Online.

>tfw can't discern between good and bad sound design.

So how am I supposed to make drums? Currently I'm using default DAW and some Vengeance samples and writing them in the sequencer. Never used a drum machine.

I never use a drum machine either ever. I work on FL and drum machines sound limiting to me. FL sequencer is something I can do infinite stuff with. I use a lot of different drum samples from everywhere on the internet. All free ones. I also use blips and bloops from my personal field recordings and use them as another layer of percussions. These Field recorded blips and bloops are literally recorded on my iPhone. They end up having a very monotonous tone but fit well over the main percussions. I make IDM so for me it's almost always good when things sound out if place. You do have to mix them properly so nothing that is out of place, overkills the main patterns.

clyp.it/2wgsndef

how are the drums on this?
should I eq them some more?

there's no set way to make drums and any helpful advice really depends on what kind of drum-sound/style you are aiming for

if you're using vengeance drum samples then...

snare on the third beat of every bar
hi-hat on every eighth note
hi-hat three 16th notes before/after every snare
kick on beat one of every bar

fill the rest in to your taste and you have an incredibly generic beat

lmao

don't forget to add reverb to make it sound spacey and cool

>be avicii
>choose random Nexus preset
>choose random drum loop
>make millions

I'm jk right now, he still had to actually produce a good song and write all the catchy melodies. But what's your opinion on the fact that a lot of famous guys probably know less technicalities than an average /prod/ user?

Was this post supposed to make fun of something?

vengeance patches are a crucial part of the "I'm 16 and my friends tell me that I could get signed to OWSLA" starter kit

I don't even make EDM, I just downloaded them because they were recommended and of a good quality. I just want some decent electronic and acoustic samples to work with.

You are thinking of N.I Maschine, It can do all those things you mentioned.
I was about to buy a drum machine and I stumbled across the Maschine studio being on demo in a shop, I popped the headphones on and 2 hours later I was walking out of the shop with a Maschine.
Only downside is it's just a controller running software so you need it tethered to a computer, not a big problem for me as it gets used in my studio which has a computer.
It does all of the things on that list, plus more. It has a really good drum synth plus an huge classic drum kit library. I tend to use the drum synth now over the 808kits I have as it's just a bit different sounding.