You first OP

They didn't even attempt to be MBV though

>slowdive
>good
pick one

slowdive are boring trash. pygmalion is just a poor mans laughing stock

Do you have learning disabilities?

Pygmalion > Souvlaki > Just For a Day
JFAD is way too melancholy but with no songwriting to back it up. Souvlaki actually has some great songs, especially Sing and Souvlaki Space Station.

Give me a fucking break. Both bands are originators of the sound. There are a million bands that imitated Slowdive and MBV and many of them are worthy of adulation, and you want to look at one of the few bands that can be credited for fucking progressing music and helping invent a subgenre and talk shit on them because there was a more famous band that existed at the same time and sounded similar??? Good grief you're a fucking faggot.

Souvlaki is good, but Slowdive's songwriting is generally very bland

Wild beasts

i cant wait for the anti-slowdive meme to uncontrarion itself

Slowdive were just a derivative version of MBV, that are way over credited by hipsters like Montie that just want to seem cool by not liking Slowdive.

Slowdive also dabbled in post-rock but that was just an embarrassing failure.

I can't wait for the "Slowdive are just as good as MBV" meme to end.

>I can't wait for the "Slowdive are just as good as MBV" meme to end.

no one says this (but they should)

*that want to seem cool by not liking MBV

Must have had a stroke while writing this, I have no idea why I put Slowdive there.

Musically illiterates like Montie think they're better which is just laughable.

They were an okay band that did a watered down more easily digestible version of MBV's style.

>They were an okay band that did a watered down more easily digestible version of MBV's style.

Nigga do you even dreampop? I'll hate to see what you think of the cocteau twins.

Cocteau Twins are one of my fav bands.

Slowdive made pretty good dream pop, but they were nothing special.

except they didn't rip off mbv. they weren't even in the same genre as mbv.

fuck off montie

>Slowdive went even the same genre as MBV

W E W L A D
E
W
L
A
D

I'm jealous of you. The lack of responsibility in possessing zero knowledge of what you're talking about must be relieving.

At least until 1975.

Slipknot

good bands
trash

Either you think MBV aren't shoegaze or you think that Slowdive aren't Shoegaze either way you're stupid.

Also since you just brought this up its pretty obvious that you're just trying to change the goalposts chase you lost the other argument.

How pathetic.

Never got the hype for MoR, it just maybe it's cause the lyrics were really bad christain shit.

It's more the killer groove and awesome riffs than the lyrics. Geezer did get better at writing lyrics over time though.

I should relisten to it, it's been like a year or so. What the best track, so I know which one to get hyped for?

Limp Bizkit are as perfect as you get, all things considered.

I think the best track is probably Children of the Grave or Into the Void, even though I feel all the tracks are amazing.

Thanks, I'll listen to it sometime this weekend, I love Paranoid and their self titled LP, but could never get into this one. Hopefully that will change.

um

slowdive aren't shoegaze. they are very obviously dream pop. literally everyone except for you thinks this lmao

since they are not shoegaze, they are inherently not a derivative of mbv, which are a shoegaze group

No problem dude. Have fun listening to it! I feel it's their best once you figure out Iommi's genius on this album.

They are a mix of the two

thanks montie really needed your help on this

>being this fucking thick headed

Stop trying to change The goalposts please. Literally every fucking one considers Slowdive shoegaze.

>Stop trying to change The goalposts please.

do you know what that term means? Just because you saw someone on judge judy say it doesn't make you sound smart if you slap it on everything.

Also are you fucking autistic it literally says dream pop right before shoegaze there lmao holy shit even your own evidence proves you wrong

Slowdive is more dreampop than shoegaze, comeon man

You said they aren't fucking shoegaze, when there second genre listed on Wikipedia and fucking RYM is shoegaze.

I never said they weren't dream-pop in fact I said that they were pretty good dream-pop. There just a watered down version of MBV.

Changing the goalposts is what people who suck at debating do to try to win at debating. The debate started out by me saying that Slowdive were a watered down derrative version of MBV, and you saying that they weren't. Than you sudd sly said that they weren't even Shoegaze so they couldn't even be a derrative version of MBV. Which was just fucking ember adding and a great example of "changing goal posts."

Thanks for your help Montie, really adding a lot to the discussion.

I don't get this band. Maybe I'm just pleb but I don't understand what sets them apart from the dream pop that existed before them

>Changing the goalposts is what people who suck at debating do to try to win at debating.

ahahhahaha holy shit this is gold

you dont even have the faintest clue what youre typing

>You said they aren't fucking shoegaze, when there second genre listed on Wikipedia and fucking RYM is shoegaze.

they are dream pop. they have shoegaze influences, which is why its listed as the second genre. however most people agree that they are dream pop, as proven by it being their most popular genre.

4got to quote

Sorry forgot to write out the full definition, doing this on my phone in an inoppertune place. But judging by what I say next you can clearly tell that I know what's it means. It means when someone changes what the argument is about because they are losing the debate, i.e. What you fucking did. Jesus Christ.

Slowdive are considered one of the big three shoegaze acts you fucking moron. Have you ever discussed showgaze with any one ever? Have you ever seen a shoegaze flowchart, can you even think?

>It means when someone changes what the argument is about because they are losing the debate, i.e.

finally

>What you fucking did. Jesus Christ.

"slowdive are a ripoff of mbv"
"they are not a ripoff, as they aren't in the same genre"
"STOP CHANGING THE GOALPOSTS"

really makes you think

>Slowdive are considered one of the big three shoegaze acts you fucking moron. Have you ever discussed showgaze with any one ever? Have you ever seen a shoegaze flowchart, can you even think?

they're part of the "big three" because they were incredibly popular and similar, therefore easy to group in. ride absolutely rejected the label, slowdive are dreampop, the only accurate placement there are MBV

he's pointing at us...

It still amazes me that they've never had a lineup change.

I really don't care for ride and only listened to Nowhere once and it barely even sounded like shoegaze so kinda agree with you there. Slowdive are just a weaker seri it's form of MBV, but still most definitely shoegaze.

Are you a different user than the one that started the debate, cause they said they were just as big as innovators in the genre of shoegaze as MBV, so either you're a different person or insanely stupid.

Just For a Day > Souvlaki > Pygmalion

this is objective

This is me here's the user I'm referring to

>I really don't care for ride and only listened to Nowhere once and it barely even sounded like shoegaze so kinda agree with you there. Slowdive are just a weaker seri it's form of MBV, but still most definitely shoegaze.
>Are you a different user than the one that started the debate, cause they said they were just as big as innovators in the genre of shoegaze as MBV,

idk what ur talking about but i would never say that. i said they were just as good but thats more of a personal thing. (i dont really like mbv)

>but still most definitely shoegaze.

i cant argue because this is circular

that aint me

Is dis you? Cause they def said and meant that Slowdive was Shoegaze.

Oh than can see how I was confused. It's past midnight where I am. I'm going to bed.

lol gnight baby

this is such a shit thread
good job, montie

lol

youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8qT4lk

The only perfect band

slowdive is shoegaze but they are one of the few bands who didnt rip off mbv and created something unique in the genre

instead they decided to rip off The Cure and Talk Talk

Pygmalion is hardly a Talk Talk rip-off. It's too based in loops and repetition rather than (pseudo) improvisation.

>progressing music
oh boy

of course slowdive are "shoegaze", they're probably the purest example along with ride and chapterhouse or something

the mistake is applying it as if it's a badge of honor or a genuine subgenre and not a term of derision. the ongoing legitimization of "shoegazing" is the biggest joke of the 21st century–thanks american tumblr kids, i sincerely don't know which side got meme'd on in this case

montie literally no one likes you and you should probably commit suicide very soon

Montie pls go

sad sack boring rich kids lmao
Pymalion is the only good thing they did

yes I've watched Chris Ott's shoegaze video too

>Never got the hype for MoR, it just maybe it's cause the lyrics were really bad christain shit.
For me it's the mixing and flat production that ruins it
Still love the album

Someone yesterday was being very adimant that Beach House is more consistently good than slowdive, and they were saying Souvlaki was bland and that Bloom is a consistently great album.
I don't hate Beach House but saying Bloom is consistent and Souvlaki isn't is functionally retarded.

Imo both albums are pretty consistent. I like Souvlaki more, but Bloom is actually a great album from start to finish imho.

I find the latter half to be not as great and there's one or two songs the first half that are pretty mediocre, the only consistent album of theirs imo is Teen Dream.
Not hating on Beach House at all, they are a very enjoyable modern dreampop band, I just find it odd for someone to find Souvlaki inconsistent and Pygmalion terrible, while thinking Beach House is a very consistent band.