I don't get why Janis was a big deal

She has an ok singing voice but she pretty much just growls and screams and her songs aren't that good. Was she just a big deal because she died young and was kind of a countercultural figure?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=guKoNCQFAFk
youtube.com/watch?v=Bld_-7gzJ-o
youtube.com/watch?v=F7L8SNZBkXo
youtube.com/watch?v=_x4S4jkM2uw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

did you listen to Cheap Thrills?

Yeah but I couldn't pay attention. Maybe she's just not in my wheelhouse

You have to understand the context.
She was on an age where you had no MTV, no Youtube, no Soundcloud, no fuckin spotify. Artists pretty uch built a fan base from word of mouth first until the press catched up, which could literally take years.
So for an artist like Janis to become legendary, it means she was way above her peers in every aspect

What about Pearl?

Who's Pearl?

I think Janis was an overrated hack. No, I've listened to none of her music, other than her radio covers.

you probably think Lady Gaga and Miley Citrus are cutting edge

I pity edgy guys like you. Poor sad things who get their kicks from trolling

I always thought this woman had a ridiculously powerful, passionate delivery and what at least somewhat deserving of her legendary status, whether she died young or not.

Pearl was just decent considering the circumstances

Imagine what a 3rd Big Brother album could have been had Janis stood with them. As much as i love Kozmic Blues, the horns in that are all over the place. She deserved better than that

youtube.com/watch?v=guKoNCQFAFk
This kind of emotional vocal delivery is extremely hard to do, it's almost operatic how hard she goes in this song, especially her last few notes in the song like how the fuck does she even sound like that, it's almost inhuman. She was the real deal.

no one actually listens to her music or cares about her, she is just tacked on to the 'le died young 27 club" meme for gender equality because every other member is a man

sorry to burst your bubble but she had more talent than Cobain and Whinehouse combined

Not OP but why do you say that without giving any explanation whatsoever ? Now I'm genuinely curious about her.

> she famous cuz she famous

seeCobain would have been forgot by now if he hadnt off'ed himself. Nobody gave 2 fucks about Whinehouse prior to her OD.

I mean, can you name other Lemonheads song other than Into your arms? But had Evan Dando killed himself in 1994 he would have that Cobain status im sure

I don't really care about them, I just don't get the point. You're not proving how good she is, not giving me a album to listen to or some story about her life. You give me external context and you reduce the importance of artists you've compared her to.

So I am understanding at this point : Janis is someone lucky to have had a studio or someone to find potential in her, she's lucky to be a singer at that age and at that time.
Is that all ?

Dude, there's a Janis documentary on Netflix, and for the first 30 mins I had the same thought: "her grovely voice is ok at times, but what's the big deal?".

Then you watch as she began performing regularly for thousands of people at a time, her voice went to absurd heights. Literally just watch the movie man, those live performances from like late 68 to her death are simply incredible. Otherworldly talent. Her voice was a spectrum. Has the timbre of a reed instrument on fire.

Rec me some janie jop-jop songs fellow anons.

But I like her and listen to her, user.
You've derided her as being famous simply for being famous, and yet as evidence for her talent, you're asking for life stories.
Listen to Ball and Chain

youtube.com/watch?v=Bld_-7gzJ-o
youtube.com/watch?v=F7L8SNZBkXo
youtube.com/watch?v=_x4S4jkM2uw

First one is her GOAT live performance

I like the album version MUCH more.

Janis only recoded 3 albums on her lifetime. Plus a posthumos album - she died in the middle of recording Pearl.
Listen to the 2 Big Brother albums, after that is all hit-and-miss.
But no album makes her justice thoug. Seek any live performance of Ball & Chain. The one at the end of Cheap Thrills is a good start

this guy knows

Before talking shit about Janis why don't you do some fucking research on her instead being spoon fed?

She's a fucking legend.

She only recorded 3 albums, plus Pearl which is incomplete despite being heralded as her 4th album.

Go in chronlolgical order
1 Big Brother & the holding company
2 Cheap Thrills
3 I got dem kozmic blues again mama
4 Pearl
5 Farewell song - its a compilation, but has the title track, a must for any Janis fan

now now, lets be nice.

Id rather have people asking for Janis recomendations than Taylor Shit (ugh)

Dubs confirm

Her voice is great her music is great

>he can't listen to music in the context of its respective era

Stick to James Ferraro then