Why did critics pan it? Will they ever make another album like this...

Why did critics pan it? Will they ever make another album like this? I feel like this is the most forward pushing and experimental release they have, their most cerebral songs that demand your attention, they can be visceral too, but not until you get an actual grasp on them due to all the transitions and wildly different sections within the same songs.

I remember when the liner notes for TPTB were released and we found out this was basically a Zach project, when everyone thought it was Andy going crazy on his macbook. The entire thing suddenly made so much more sense and became even more impressive than it already was.

It's the logical next step hip hop should take itself in. I don't understand why people aren't tired of horrible autotune over shitty trap beats

The best DG record for sure. I flipped my shit when I found out it was all done on v-drums, so insanely impressive

Where does it say zach did it on v drums? Pic?

delet this post

The liner notes for TPTB, which are right there in the OPs image.

>pic related is the actual insert from the cd

its really not that good

>Bjork
>found object

>found object

NOTM is easily their best

1. Billy Not Really
2. Voila
3. Up My Sleeves
4. Black Quarterback
5. Big Dipper
6. Say Hey Kid
7. Have a sad cum
8. Fuck Me Out

It would be their best if fuck me out and viola werent on it
But i agree, i think its some of their best work ever

Fuck me out is fantastic as well as viola. They fit the overall theme very well

What don't you like about Voila? I can see your point on Fuck Me Out, it's a pretty obnoxious track from a vocal perspective, and pretty cringey at that too.

But Voila is a masterpiece in subtlety. It's a truly unique song in their discography and we really don't have that many of these. Instead of being at all visceral, the track is centered around this really strange drum-beat that can easily go over your head the first few times you hear it, but the more you listen the more you realize it is really nuanced. It's also one of the best tracks to get across the V-drum style production of the album as the hi-hats and Bjork samples seamlessly blend into one another. Verse is also really memorable and the use of vocal sampling on Stefan is really unique and strange as well (talking about the OH's)

I love Voila a lot, I can see how it might not be an obvious standout track at first, but when you actually pay attention to it, it's fucking great.

Fuck me out is one of my favorites. One of the more alienating tracks on the album. I also love Bjork spazzing out during the chorus.

The track has every characteristic that makes the album great, condensed into 3 minutes.

I want to like "fuck me out" but no matter how hard I try, I can never get over "Death. Fuck. Lets. Fuck" it's edgy in the worst possible way.

I think people will look back on it and realize just how insane it actually is

I certainly hope so.

As nice as it is that hardcore fans are at least appreciative of it, it feels like a bit of a shame that zero of that hype came from critics, it was more or less brushed aside. 20 years from now when people look back at their discography, I'm inclined to believe this will be considered their most interesting release.

It's just too unique for it to be forgotten

imo this is the only direction left for them...
i've noticed a lot of people wondering what else they could do now... which is only exasperated by bottomless pit clearly being a rehash/mixture of previous work.

I think they've gotta self destruct.
More experiments, less clear song stucture, not as catchy, letting zach get crazy on the drums, so on so on

Name ONE (1) album in existence that sounds like this.

Yeah, if we get another release like JD or BP, I'm frankly gonna be bored. I already felt it with BP and it sucks to even say that because I still like the album, I think it's incredibly consistent. But there's just not much to be excited about, it's not very challenging music.

My day 1 impressions f NOTM compared to how I feel now are vastly different and my understanding of the album and the sounds have greatly changed too. With BP nothing has changed since the 2nd listen, I knew what it was day 1.

I want to be surprised next time, I don't wanna just "like" the album when I'm done with it, I wanna be unsure of what the fuck I just listened, I wanna be tested.

DG are incredibly strong and it feels in some sense weak to complain about the fact that they're incredibly consistent, because as far as I'm concerned they have no "bad" albums.

vulnicura :3

4 real though it game me autechre vibes at first...

>The entire thing suddenly made so much more sense and became even more impressive than it already was.
faggot.

what if they're actually making an effort to be popular now and are only going to stagnate o____o

God
So true
Nearly 2 decades of that shit
It's time to stop

>With BP nothing has changed since the 2nd listen

I couldn't articulate what it was about bp but you just nailed it...

i'm not even a very big fan of death grips but from what i've listened to this is my favorite by them

Nah dude, Zach had his opportunity's to go mainstream before. It's obviously not a goal.

bump

literally unlistenable

worst thing they've ever put out

utter garbage

>up my sleeves anything but 1st

really? for me it has. There are a couple of tracks which i thought were skippable but have grown to like with repeated listens. 80808 is stupid tho

1. Big Dipper
2. Up My Sleeves
3. Voila
4. Black Quarterback
5. Have a Sad Cum BB
6. Billy Not Really
7. Say Hey Kid
8. Fuck Me Out

Have you never head any of Zach's non-DG work? I thought it was pretty obvious v-drums were used after my 2nd listen of the album. His drumming style is all over those samples