Europeens, what can you tell me about your country's minor languages?

Europeens, what can you tell me about your country's minor languages?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hrwLBeOcfms
youtube.com/watch?v=cYadPT4EWaY
youtube.com/watch?v=8JHU2oGx0sE
youtube.com/watch?v=Q9rRWTTFBxM
youtube.com/watch?v=Xv695Jn1_JY
youtube.com/watch?v=_D62n_k8PyY
youtube.com/watch?v=gb3SgfZFFJU
youtube.com/watch?v=Aqh6pbRyumg
youtube.com/watch?v=GOly1n3TQ2w
hsb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hłowna_strona
youtube.com/watch?v=oiPa7fX0XjM
youtube.com/watch?v=owox7KfXzLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=w6LXU5lgEVc
youtube.com/watch?v=VZXd6ldzMbM
youtube.com/watch?v=9UaAyI-uI30
youtube.com/watch?v=ofWA7ERRwzs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We don't have any aside from Vietnamese trying hard speaking Czech

>Frisian

Dialect.

No one speaks it

They're literally irrelevant.
There are many different dialects though like Bavarian, Lower German, Swabian or shit like that

Irish is spoken by 2 farmers in Mayo and nobody else. It's taught in all schools, but nobody retains knowledge of it so it's p much a dead language. It's kind of sad.

REEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
WAAAAAAAAAAAAR
WAAAAAAAAAAR WAWAAAAAAAAAAAR WAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Sámi languages are spoken by the Sámi peoples. The most obnoxious tundra gypsies you can imagine. Subsidized, well-off folk who will turn heaven and earth to maintain their status as oppressed indigenous folk. Even more insufferable now that they've discovered US style identity politics and can use the phrase "cultural appropriation".

shame

sorry about that

Sami girls are pretty tbqh

no they aren't

they are just so rare that the only ones that make it onto your radar are the pretty ones

>friulan is the only language shown on the map

What else is there? I thought you guys standardized all your dialects like 150 years ago

Memeiontach a chara.

How about all of those ethnic Germans in the Sudetenland.

It's the only thing I learned about your country in school, and how Mr. Hitler wanted them to be part of Germany.

We have Mirandese, which derived from Leonese. Only 10k people in one small region have some sort of fluency in it, so it's just about to die.

I think that even the ones that do have let it be influenced by regular Portuguese and maybe a bit of Castilian.

In Vigo or Coruña people don't usually speak galician but almost all of them can. It's ridiculous to have them in spanish while Valencia and Alicante are painted like they speak any valencian at all compared to those two cities.

> Subsidized, well-off folk who will turn heaven and earth to maintain their status as oppressed indigenous folk.

Well, they did live there before Scandinavians and Finns got there, and they were oppressed for a pretty long time.

They're like your country's Native Americans. Their clothes and tools even look Native American.

Some people speak Welsh, no one speaks Scottish or Irish or they do it to be special snowflakes

Silesian is disgusting, just imagine it like ebonics with random mexican words thrown in together with miner lingo, worst dialect for the worst people living in the worst place in the country

youtube.com/watch?v=hrwLBeOcfms

In Italy there is a community of Albanians that have lived there since 15th century.They are called arbëresh and speak the Albanian spoken more than 500 years ago.Its pretty cool.There are still like 100000 people in Italy who speak it.

rightful german clay

shallow grave is rightful place for all germs

We exterminated them.

idk what a meglenitic is as for albanian it's the language equivalent of sound AIDS and sounds to me like some autistic turk fucked an autistic italian, shite language
every balkan country has dozens of dialects though every city has its own dialect basically

They went to Italy to flee the Ottoman Empire. Today 2/3rds of Albanians are Muslim. The rest are Catholic and Orthodox. Sunni, Bektashi (shi'ite), Catholic and Orthodox all hate each other in Albania, but have learned to stick together because the rest of the Balkans hates Albanians regardless of religion.

>Catalan

Disgusting to most people ears. Very close to Spanish.

>Basque

Prerromanic language. Literally a peasant. language. Shepherds lost in mountains. No many people used to speak this language. Many ETA members didn't speak a word of Basque. Now thanks to Basque nationalist politicians most people is learning Basque in schools, even in zones where Basque was never spoke like Vitoria, and the % of people speaking Basque in Navarra will increase in the next decades.

>Galician

Just like Basque, a peasant language.

All these languages are mandatory in school and you need to speak them if you want to work as a police, doctor, teacher, etc. in those regions.

We have

Frisian = meme language
Dutch Low Saxon = meme language
Limburgish = gibberish
Papiamento = meme Portuegese
English = meme language

And they are all more popular than Irish in Ireland lol.

Venetian, Emilian, Ligurian, Lombard, Piedmontese, Sardinian, Neapolitian, Sicilian, Ladin, all rate as languages.
Italy only recognizes Friulan, Sardinian and Ladin for political reasons, but still there's no rationale whatsoever for a map to show only Friulan.

What? People of different religions don't hate each other here

>They're like your country's Native Americans.
Not quite. For the most part, we settled here roughly the same time. Well, depending on how our modern ethnic groups can be applied to ancient times.
The narrative of the Sámi as a perpetually oppressed poor minority is especially vital to them because there are some kin groups of theirs who were supplanted by other Sámi. After all, if you're a genocide victim, you never din du nuffin.

Actually, English is less popular than Irish.

Rusyn - in between Slovak and Ukrainian.
Hungarian - Uralic moon language of ancient kumis drinking horse riding tribes.

>so it's just about to die.
It's not, it's actually growing and it's a pretty cool language, I listen to it unironically.

youtube.com/watch?v=cYadPT4EWaY

French: poor fags
All native languages: literally no one

wtf getting some slav vibes

Wrong. Street signs are in Sorbian for example. I don't know more, because I'm not from that area but they are not "literally irrelevant".

We roll the "r" almost the same way slavs do.

youtube.com/watch?v=8JHU2oGx0sE

>Italian

Everyone speaks some sort of dialect, especially older people and people from south have lots of difficulties speaking italian correctly (if can speak any at all)

>Silesian
it's funny

>Kashubian
never heard it

>Wymysorys
almost dead

>it's actually growing
Really? I was under the impression it was basically being left behind. That's nice to hear. It eases my autism when I see maps of the neat vertical language slices of the Iberian peninsula, grading from Galician/Portuguese in the west up to Catalan in the east and Occitan already in France. But the Castilians ruined it all.

That song is a bit meme-y, but it actually sounds nice. I like it.

Portuguese is very slavic sounding:
youtube.com/watch?v=Q9rRWTTFBxM
(pick any second, really)

Speaking in a local language or dialect means you're a dumbass in the Netherlands.

85% of the population does it.

Good. These languages seem to have a decent form a protection.

And about 20% speaks in a minority language.

Nope, it is taught as a mandatory language in the region's schools and all street signs are in both languages over there too.

They were thrown out post-war

Why no Breton in Brittany?

Really? I had no idea. That's actually interesting. I don't even live that far away (Coimbra), but I never went to Miranda do Douro. Seems like I should at least pass by.

no, you're only a dumbass if you don't both speak the standard language next to your dialect.

Our minor languages include faroese and greenlandic, both of which are completely irrelevant and inferior and will thankfully die out.

(Not the guy you're replying to)
Lower Sorbian is close to extinction, Upper Sorbian might survive.
Street signs don't make a language relevant, Saterland Frisian is spoken by 1500–2500 people and still street signs there are bilingual.

>they did live there before Scandinavians and Finns got there
No they didn't you retarded piece of shit.

>that Ukraine
Wrong. Most of Ukrainians speak Russian or Russian-Ukrainian mix called Surzhik

They are all gone

The few that were left here started speaking Czech soon after WWII.

Source: my grandma was a German that was allowed to stay here because she was 1/4 Czech. She was forced to learn Czech, go to Czech school, had only Czech friends.

Some Gypsies living in here have their own language actually

It's Romani, mixed with Slovakian (Czech Gypsies are originally from Slovakia) and Czech

Everyone hates them though and nobody likes to speak with them or even talk about them

is that some variant of polish?

Also in some places, there are so many Russians (and Ukrainians... I can't tell them apart) that it can be considered "minority language"

lyder wicked man

True, but they way things are going, street signs should soon be in arabic und turkish and I don't like that.

It's closer to Czech, from what I have heard

I don't know but it's certainly a slavic language.

Frisian (450k speakers)
youtube.com/watch?v=Xv695Jn1_JY

Dutch Low Saxon ( 1,8 mil speakers)
youtube.com/watch?v=_D62n_k8PyY

Limburgish (830k speakers)
youtube.com/watch?v=gb3SgfZFFJU

Papiamento (250k speakers)
youtube.com/watch?v=Aqh6pbRyumg

Dutch (17 mil speakers (everyone))
youtube.com/watch?v=GOly1n3TQ2w

Dutch has too many dialects to count, so it's hard to pick a standard one.

17 mil speakers in the Netherlands. Dutch is also spoken in Belgium, the Caribbean and Suriname. And a variant called Afrikaans in South Africa.

Don't be so xenophobic :^) What's the problem with learning Arabic when moving to a quarter with a migrant majority? :^)

hsb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hłowna_strona

Vypadá to ako poľština s českými slovami, ako dobre tomu rozumieš?

Upper Sorbian is closest to Czech, Lower Sorbian to Polish. They are West Slavic languages. Rather cool, I can understand the Upper variants quite well and like it or not, all of East Germany was Slavic once, Lusitania was part of the Czech kingdom even.

>Italian
you're all already familiar with this particular sign language, I assume. Less and less people identify as Italians, but everyone on the littoral is fluent in Italian anyway
>Hungarian
it's a funny language but they stick to their border villages and we don't bully them for speaking it as we rightfully should (because it's just fucking silly sounding, but w/e) nor do we settle amongst them
>Romani
Not endangered either, as even the forced settlement of the Roma in 'villages' by the commies in 82 did nothing to assimilate them. Nowhere near as widespread as in the rest of EE though.
>Serbo-Croatian
Spoken in every single Slovenian urban centre regardless of size due to economic immigration, this closely related and much more prolific language is prone to mixing with Slovene into a sort of lower class Sloveno-Bosnian patois. Where the other three languages number in the thousands of speakers, the number of Serbo-Croatian speakers in Slovenia is natively spoken by no less than a tenth of Slovenia's population but is also the only one that is not a recognized minority language, as it did not exist in Slovenia in significant numbers prior to the 1970s.

>Dutch Low Saxon ( 1,8 mil speakers)
>youtube.com/watch?v=_D62n_k8PyY

>kankergare kankerband kiezen en niet gebaseerde bökkers

youtube.com/watch?v=oiPa7fX0XjM

youtube.com/watch?v=owox7KfXzLQ

youtube.com/watch?v=w6LXU5lgEVc

How well do you understand Serbo-Croatian?

>karelian
Dead. Thanks r*ssians.
>sami languages
Irrelevant, maybe dying/dead who knows.
>swedish
Relevant because forced but still dying

Same shit.

3 out of every 4 words on a bad day

nee want jou band was kankergaar en de mijne kankergebaseerd

also

>Roma
Who doesn't love Gypsies?

I come from Utrecht. How should I know what kind of crap Gelderland produces?

Utrechtish song related.
youtube.com/watch?v=VZXd6ldzMbM

>Gelderland

GETREKKERD (zie plaatje)

SALLAND JONG'N

O-VER-IJ-SSEL

Some people in the North can still speak lower German. There's also some tv program and theatre play with it. No one uses it outside of that though.

It's dying out to the point I barely know anyone in my age group who can speak it. Even I have problems understanding it on the fly.

Funny the amount of ignorance in this post.

I love Sup Forums and its smartasses.

I don't know why do they still exist ...

A while ago I went to Barcelona and all the menu's and such of a restaurant were in Catalan. But it looked a lot like French.

>But it looked a lot like French.
So, Catalan?

Catalan is pretty much French + Spanish

we have loads of meme ones

Cornish is the most meme I can think of

youtube.com/watch?v=9UaAyI-uI30

Sorbs are a qt group just like frisians but they both may be washed away into extinction if they dont start fucking like rabbits right now while trying to maintain their culture as persistent as fucking gyppos.
Read about some sorb who spoke for his group and he basically said tat he thinks it will die in the future as we are "open society" now.
Eh.

While Nazis where nice to frisians as those were ayran as fuck, the wenish slav-sorbs were to be assimilated, DDR protected their rights again and they recovered a bit but unfortunately they sit on coal deposits, so their old villages get destroyed for coal extraction and thus their communties literally blown up over night.

Independent greater Cornwall when?

We still speak it at home. Most younger people here use it when they speak to their friends and most people would use it in shops or at work as long as it's in the region where they grew up.
It won't die out for several generations, even though we have a huge number of German loan words now.

also Cumbrian
youtube.com/watch?v=ofWA7ERRwzs

probably the most meme independance movement here

Nazis weren't nice to the Frisians. They only liked those Frisians that saw themselves as a German tribe. Those that maintained the idea that they are a different people were removed from offices and organizations.

Leibnitz(j) was a sorb if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, that's exactly what many wants you to think.

I think Sorbs should be persuaded to teach their kids the language as I think they could talk us quite well if they spoke slowly. I understand like 90 percent of it. It is close to Czech and Slovak, at least the Upper variant, more than Polish.

she's qt

die pig german

This map is quite shit for France

Easy: Ukrainian is pretty much minor.

My county has more original languages than most countries.
German, Low Saxon, Danish, Frisian and South Jutlandic

Sorbian has an image problem. While Frisian is good for tourism and Low Saxon still helps a lot when you want to do business with people in rural areas, Sorbian isn't useful for anything.

Eh, what incencitive would suffice?
Make x amount of kids speaking sorbic until 20xx and we gift you a part of the lausitz the size of liechtenstein in order to emulate it?

We dont even breed ourselves very much and arent into ethnic preservation lel.

Bektaşhi isn't shia though

I wrote it - mutual intelligibility with Czech and Slovak (Upper Sorbian) and Polish (Lower Sorbian). Not complete, but it would be very easy for a Sorb to learn Czech or Slovak and even easier to train himself to understand us fully. There is a politician in Czechia who learned fluent Czech who is a Sorb.