Post a word in your language that has no direct English translation and its meaning

Post a word in your language that has no direct English translation and its meaning.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_modal_particle
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fart
flatulence

shart
to defecate in a mart

Cafuné = the act of running one’s fingers through one’s hair

Saudade = feeling of longing. Nostalgia for a person, feelings, experiences or places that once brought excitement.

Calorento(a)/Friorento(a) = someone who is sensitive to high/low temperatures

Malandro = mix of con man, bohemian and a swindler. Not entirely negative meaning though! It depends on the context. A “malandro” can be a clever and witty person.

Malemolência = the action or an instance of swaying, an oscillating, fluctuating motion.

Farofa = a toasted manioc or maize flour mixture.

uitbuiken
out-bellying

When after dinner you just sit backwards and stick your belly out to let the food sink a bit.

What exactly is the difference between saudade and nostalgia?

I think it's a more intense feeling, whereas nostalgia isn't really that strong or deep.
See: Sehnsucht

gevaarte
a large dangerous object

voorpret
before-fun, when you're having fun before the fun thing is going to happen. Like when thinking about vacation makes you happy and excited.

>When you miss someone you love
Saudade

>When you think a cartoon you used to watch when you wre a kid is good, even it being pure trash
Nostalgia

pretoogjes
twinkly eyes when someone has mischievous fun eyes

when you misses someone you feel someone's fault, and then you becomes sad.
when you feel "saudades" you becomes happy because you were with someone once.
saudade is the nostalgic feeling that you feel towards someone's companion.

These fuckers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_modal_particle
Quite funny seeing foreigners struggle with them :^)

gezellig
a cozy atmosphere usually created by being with other people

Nostalgia encompasses both, tbqh

Nostalgia is basically saudade with a feeling of comfy happiness involved, it usually revolves around a time period and not a specific object. Also, take note that nostalgia is never used for people.

Example A:
>Amor, quando você volta? Estou com saudades.

Example B:
>Nossa, lembra quando a Globo passava Dragon Ball Z?
>Cacete. Lembro sim. Quanta nostalgia.

Culture

zwijgen
keeping your mouth shut

This

Cu: slang word for anus. "Asshole" is too literal to be a translation.

>Koselig
A pleasurable state that can generaly apply to a situation or a persons attitude.

If its thr same as in French, "cu" is basically the entire behind.

natafelen
when after dinner you stay at the table for the cozy atmosphere and the conversation

You see the issue with this thread is that native English speakers are unlikely to know another language
Therefore this thread will only be words from other languages that do not translate into English and not the other way around, which would be quite an interesting conversation

tutoyeren
using impolite forms to address someone (like using you instead of you)

>üşenmek
being too careless/lazy to do something

Cafuné = hair striking / caress
Malandro = scoundrel
Farofa is a traditional dish and thus not translated.
Malemolência is a slang and depending on the place has a different meaning. In this case it's "swaying"
friorento = chilly

t. EFL (English as a Foreigner Language) teacher.

>friorento = chilly
Does it work when you're talking about someone who is sensitive to cold? We have "frileux" in french which must be an equivalent, but I've never heard of chilly in this context.

There are a lot of English words that cannot be translated.

jinx
awkward

And a lot of words don't cover quite the same load as in English. For example:

random (as in a random event or acting quite random)
loser (as in being a loser at life)

Here random just means random as in mathematically random. And a loser only exists as a loser in a competition or match.

I dont think "apéro/apéritif" can be translated in English, basically its when you drink and have small snacks before dinner, to "open the appetite".

A starter?

Appetizer, lad.

Nah, that would be the "entrée", but the apéritif is seperated from the dinner itself.

Nah apéritif is the act of doing it, although it also means appetizer, its like a small meal.

Yeah, that's exactly when you use "friorento". It only applies for people who are sensible to cold.

Example:
Eu sou friorento. Está fazendo 26 graus e eu já estou de agasalho.
I'm chilly. It's 26 degrees and I'm wearing a coat.

si
negative yes

A concept I couldn't translate to Dutch recently was "a gentleman's agreement"

Apparently "Serendipity" isn't easily translated into other languages but I don't know

>negative yes
How does that even work

When you respond yes to a negative question.

Not a native speaker, but it is a feeling of longing, of missing something that once was.

you could probably name more than me

Fuck! We need one of these.

A lot of expressions in Dutch and English are also impossible to translate.
Like: "Two wrongs don't make a right"

gezellig

comfyness enjoyed in the company of others, kind of

>awkward
really?

Pic related

You mean like the opposite of Schadenfreude?

We have ongemakkelijk. Which basically means uncomfortable. But it's not really awkward.

The picture actually lists English translations that are only one word.

Awkward situations don't exist in Dutch.

We have that too, except that instead of having its own word kyllä (yes) becomes kylläpäs

they're just aspects of sisu, not accurate translations

dépaysement

couldn't explain

Would grit be a closer translation?

>you can never be an awkward failure in the Netherlands
feels good man

asså = stockholm slang for well idk how to translate it
doesn't actually mean anything in itself

if you put it in front of a question like "for real?" it puts an emphasis on the fact that it surprises you
if you say it by itself it means you're upset about that hanzo who just headshotted you for the third time while not even aiming in your direction
if you put it at the end of a sentence it places emphasis
if you put it in a sentence it could mean "that is to say" or "therefore" or like a half dozen other things
also it means you're a stockholmfag
t.stockholmfag

tfw you understand all of these words by trying to say them out loud and noticing how they sound familiar. love this shit.

theres tons of words that share one aspect of the word "awkward" but there is no single perfect translation

not at all lad wth. the belgian guy described it perfectly pretty much.

I don't think we have any in spanish

afaik schadenfreude means taking pleasure out of someone else's misery so no. 'gezellig' is an adjective btw. Having beers while watching tv with your friends is gezellig, for example. I'm shit at explaining it but it's a vibe I guess

I'm a BR and I feel like people try to pretty up the meaning of saudade too much to make it sound more of a special language thing than it actually is. I just use it the same way as you'd say "I miss X", only you'd phrase it like "I feel saudade for X"

дa нeт нaвepнoe

Is it the same as altså?

The Dutch concept of gezellig is a bit broader than in German.

We also use lekker (tasty in English, lecker in German) to describe pretty much everthing.
It can be tasty weather here. A tasty girl. Things can go tasty fast (which is very fast). And you can refuse to do something tastily (it feels good not to do it). Lekker puh (sticks tongue out) means "Serves you right".

It's like you're talking to a smurf but instead of smurfing everything he finds everything tasty.

a lot of teens use that in norway too.

the proper word is "altså" but they say it like "asså" or "assa.

It makes you sound like a dumb cunt though

Like if someone asks "Didn't you do something"?
By the way
>Aakaty
Pronounce Os as As

kaçıncı
it means how many-th
in french there is a word for it. its combientiéme

Sobremesa, it's when after finishing the meal you stay in the table chatting.

Homesickening?
Defamiliarisationness?

Trying to conjure up words that would match that

Sobremesa means dessert in Portuguese lol

"Doch" in German
Always weirded me out that Anglos don't have it

well asså is slang for alltså so yes it's exactly that

Regodearse.

>dialects make you sound dumb

The unsteady feeling you get when you are away from your home country.

How would this be used

We have dog in Norwegian, I always thought though was derived from the same. It has some similar uses to our dog at least.

It's not a dialect. Almost everyone in norway uses it. It's just as stupid as people who say "like" and "um" all the fucking time.

yea, we don't really use the word gesellig anymore, but everyone knows it and the concept is easy to understand.

btw lecker is used ironically where I live to describe pretty girls/taking a nice dump etc.
But it's really niche and only used when talking to friends while doing a "fat old guy voice" impression.

billy you didn't do your homework!"
"doch, I did!"

>what you said isn't true
now if you answer no, it means you agree that it is indeed not true, and if you answer yes it means you agree with him saying you're wrong.
in angloland you solve this by just saying yes and calling it a day, but for the smart languages there's a si/doch/jo/whatever you can use there

No, it's not a filler like "like" and "um", it's used for emphasis. It's still a dialect even though a lot of people use it, you fucking mong.

A lot of people use it as a filler word. It is indeed a word that can be properly used for emphasis but some people use it too much.

I don't think you even know what a dialect is :/

Now i get it

We don't have it either. We have toch, but it doesn't mean the same thing.
It just means "right?", "rather", "still" "regardless".
It not an answer in itself and it doesn't refute anything.

>A particular form of a language that is peculiar to a specific region or social group.
Fits quite nicely

Nostalgia is the association to a happy past, "the good old days".
Saudade is more like a strong melancholic and bitter-sweet feeling about something or someone you love that is absent, applied to both the abstract and the concrete.
It can be applied like said, but I feel it carries a stronger tone.

it's also in german, if anyone cares

they have this "uh-huh" noise as a replacement tho.

Off the top of my head:

>Caloriento/a + Friolento/a
Someone who is too prone to feel either hot or cold.

>Estrenar
When you use or wear something for the first time.

>Empalagado
It's the feeling that you get after eating too many sweets

>Madrugar
To get up early

No it doesn't. It's not really peculiar to a specific region or a social group, although young people are the ones who tend to overuse it the most.

It kinda seems like you're just arguing for the sake of arguing desu

luchtkasteel (air castle)
a false promise, dream or wish that you want to fulfil but that can never be fulfilled

We often say like: the politician promises air castles. Or he dreams of sand castles.

Nonpromise

There I fixed our problem

>loser(as in being a loser at life)

I don't know about that one, I feel the Norwegian word "Taper" which basically have the same meaning, carries a stronger message how much of an mistake in life you are.

>sand castles
I mean air castle. A sand castle is not the same as an air castle. A sand castle is something that will come crashing down.

Japanese has no word for "Parking Spot"

It is peculiar to young Norwegians på Ostlandet. I am arguing because you are wrong.

nah.
gezellig sounds like the word koselig, whose opposite would be uncomfortable(sort of).

Schadenfreude/Skadefryd is the pleasure of seeing others hurting both physically or psycologically

But it doesn't have to be a promise. It's more like a dream image.
A little girl can also dream of air castles and her knight in shining armor. And then as she grows older that idea fades away.

asså is actually the way to say altså in my dialect.