Hi guys, Sup Forums here...

Hi guys, Sup Forums here. Just came from a thread regarding our family members in WWII and remembered I had this in a collection of things my gramps brought back from Burma.

Would anybody care to translate some of this writing for me? The ink has soaked right through on both sides so if the image needs mirroring let me know.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Luck_Flag
youtube.com/watch?v=myLQspUONUo
obonsociety.org/how-to-return-your-flag/
youtube.com/watch?v=HuqtOWDB0ZQ
obonsociety.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=9-axJTzj0VU
youtube.com/watch?v=hOCYcgOnWUM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It says "Get back to Sup Forums you cock sucker"

It says ""Anime was a mistake" Hayao Miyadzaki"

peru pls shoo

It's a recipe of how to proper cock an British POW.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Luck_Flag

It's one of these.

Please contact the Japanese embassy and see if you can arrange to have it sent to surviving family members in Japan. It has a lot of sentimental value for them and the gesture would really be appreciated.

OP, they're the names of Japanese soldiers

>''To anyone from the invaders who gets to own this flag, we shat and pissed on it and you are a massive faggot''

It's just a bunch of names, burn it or throw it away.

Aye, I had a chat with another user who linked me to that. Apparently however repatriating it with surviving relatives may go either way, they could sincerely appreciate it or it could cause a fair bit of foul mood, for example if a surviving relative is a family man or woman and they get back this flag on which they wrote some shit like "kill them cunts on sight" and things like that. Could be iffy. For now I'd just like to know what some of it says, mainly the guy's name.

My gramps took it off a bloke he shot, it was never meant to leave the guy's pocket.

Come on Shigeru tell me what it says. What names what messages

youtube.com/watch?v=myLQspUONUo

It doesn't say anything like that. It's just names. His family would only be grateful if you were to return it.

I can read some of the names of people who signed it but unfortunately can't read the handwriting well enough to tell you the name of its owner.

obonsociety.org/how-to-return-your-flag/

>tfw Sup Forums is more saturated with shitposters than Sup Forums

>His family would only be grateful if you were to return it.
Yeah, good luck finding the right Tanaka.

It definitely doesn't say "Tanaka". Stop memeing.

I imagine there's more than just names on there as it was typical to write good luck messages for the soldier, but thanks anyway.

Would you at least care to share some of the names you can read? I have no plans to return it yet.

Why don't you plan on returning it? It's pretty poor form to loot the dead, and certainly never crossed my mind in Afghanistan.

Look around the Flag

a lot of Japanese name(Maybe,his friends, neighbors and relatives)
武運長久(Good luck forever on the battle field)
小?田?君 his name(but,I can't read his name,coz,write in script Japanese)
??神乃加護(god bless you)

Koyama is the most common name on the flag by far so I assume there's some family relationship there. You might want to look into that.

Also, a little boy named Tanaka Yuuta did actually sign it so I was wrong here but I don't think you'll find anything with that anyway.

Killing a terrorist and taking his stuff maybe doesn't crossed your mind but killing an army soldier and taking a flag as a souvenir is ok for most people I think. And if I were you I would definitely take something as a souvenir.(Not personal things like photo,letter etc)

Things were different 7 decades ago user, the number of these flags taken by allied soldiers is through the roof. He took it as a remembrance item rather than for personal gain. According to gramps he shot this guy while his reg were going village to village in deep Burmese jungle, and this was one of the guys who had previously slaughtered the residents.

I got his family name
He is Mr.小山田(oyamada)

Thanks very much lads, appreciate it

My bad. It's not Koyama but Oyamada as said.

The other names I thought were Koyama are in fact his family members but I just missed the 田.

>My gramps took it off a bloke he shot
Why?

Could be worse. The yanks used to take Japanese skulls home as war souvenirs.

I do hope OP will consider returning the flag to the man's family though.

>returning the booty
Japs don't have souls anyway

in fact,I can't read his family name.
but,I see a lot of 小山田 in the flag.
so,I thought they are his relatives.

at first I couldn't read*

From the Obon website, they usually write the name of the village so the scholars and the government agencies can track down the location.

Also I think the flag is upside down.

youtube.com/watch?v=HuqtOWDB0ZQ

Yeah my friends grandpa said he thought the guy in their unit who did That was a creep.

Apparently he was close enough to share a split second of eye contact with him before he started firing, being 19 at the time it got to him pretty bad and so decided the best way to cope would be to keep the flag.

Cheers again guys, the flag holds quite a bit of sentimental value to me since my gramps passed and this will no doubt interest my old man too.

Yeah, I'm sure he doesn't have a dozen of jap skulls hidden in the attic.

Don't give it back user.Your grandpa bring it for a reason.

Yeah but this is a personal thing. Maybe the guy didn't know it at the time, but still.

Apparently not. I didn't find any.

>Also I think the flag is upside down.
yes
>Obon website
yes, I know
If you want to return the flag to Japan
please look the web site↓
obonsociety.org/

But everything that soldiear carries with him is his personal things.This is a flag.Not a family photo,letter,ring,watch etc.Pistol,flag,epaulette,officer hat etc. could be taken as a souvenir.

It's pretty much a family letter, just written on a flag.

It's a flag signed by his family and close friends.

It's just as personal as a family photo if not more so.

I'm amazed at how you can justify theft, regardless if it has sentimental value that means a lot to the families.
But I'm not surprised since you're from Turkey.

Ok then name me one thing that can be taken as a souvenir and not personal on a dead soldier.

Ottoman 57th infantry regiment flag is on exhibition in Australia.So if taking a flag is thievery,then your nation are a thief.

Literally nothing, legally. But morally, I'm not going to judge people for taking military equipment/uniforms. It's understandable. Personal things are no good though, considering the value they have to their family. It's a respect thing. I full well understand how morals go by the wayside in war because that's just a coping mechanism for the shit you have to do, but it doesn't mean you can't do something to make things better decades later on.

>considering the value they have to their family. It's a respect thing

It actually was quite dishonourable to lose these flags for any reason and as such repatriation efforts do not always go as we would like.

Thanks for the link though, I would like to see if I can get in touch with relatives, get some communication started first and we can go from there.

It's more than a flag, that's the point. If that Ottoman flag means so much to you then I agree, they should give it back(That is unless Turkey and Australia agreed to display the flag in the museum in the first place).

But I highly doubt you care about the Turkish flag, seeing how you're only concerned about taking "souvenirs" from a battlefield where many have fallen.

If he didn't take that flag then it would've never been seen again

Hey I'm not judging, just asking.
>Apparently he was close enough to share a split second of eye contact with him before he started firing, being 19 at the time it got to him pretty bad and so decided the best way to cope would be to keep the flag.
wew lad, I didn't expect feels
That's pretty unperfidious of your grandpa.

He is 小山田直衛(oyamada naoe)
his little sister say
「直衛兄さん、うんと頑張ってね」
Good luck(do your best) my bro. naoe!

>his little sister say
>「直衛兄さん、うんと頑張ってね」
>Good luck(do your best) my bro. naoe!
aw man.

Fuck. ;_;

Probably shouldn't have fucked with us and been kind. Kindness and civility was always an option.

Then don't take the oil away.

That flag means like a holy thing to us.But the point about a flag on the battlefield is you don't let them take it.If they took it , there is no meaning of asking them to return it after the war.By the way all the regiment died that battle.(not a single soldier survived that's why we lost that flag).What I mean is flag is not just a souvenir you take from the battlefield. It has much more meaning.That's why it's most precious souvenirs along with officer knives and swords.

>An Aussie defending Japan against America with regards to WWII

You saw it here first folks.

Where is this flag in Australia? Google doesn't tell me anything about it.

Anyway, the point is the flag in this thread of not a military thing, it's a personal item signed by family. Read this:

>propose conditional surrender
>get nuked to shit and invaded

He's not defending Japan. He's arguing in favour of basic human decency between the descendants of men who fought a war almost a century ago.

We can discuss the Hull note if you want though. Dirty yank.

I forgot that I was on a weeb board, not a historical one, my mistake.

shit

Big thanks again nihonbro

We can also discuss the massacre of French civilians by the British bombs you dirty beady anglo shit.

I love how all americans on Sup Forums are stupid, revisionist, and most likely fat.

>小山田玉治君
>oyamada tamaharu-kun
>-kun
he must have been a youn soldior.
in his early 20s or could be teemager

youtube.com/watch?v=9-axJTzj0VU

where is lil' american, a transgender 6 years old boy raped by the president, his wife, injected with heroin, his mind broken by the CIA via anal rape to become an assassin with dissociated personalities who LARP with guns in his garden while posting on Sup Forums about the revolution ?

We gave them a condition. It's not like being in China was good for them.

>He has absolutely no comprehension on how different the Japanese were back then
>lol they could totally just like, listen to logic and reason hahahaha
>meanwhile mothers throw their children and themselves off cliffs and the men charge rifles with swords and a bomb vest

You lost all right to speak about WWII when we had to bail you out with American blood.

youtube.com/watch?v=hOCYcgOnWUM

Sometimes it feels surreal that when i shitpost in Sup Forums someone on the other side of the world is now at war.

最初、自分も「玉」かと思ったが、(達筆すぎる)
彼の妹が、「直衛兄さん」と書いてるから
彼の名前は直衛だと思う。
読み方は、なおえか、なおもりかは分からんけど。

>believing that the Hull note was an ultimatum
>not a fringe revisionism

>americans
>doing anything for France in WW2 besides raping women and killing their husbands
>implying the Japanese did not ask to surrender before they were nuked
>implying it wasn't the will of the U.S. to test their new toy that led to Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Do you even understand what the alternative was you blathering idiot. The other option was a full scale invasion. Which would have lead to millions upon million of lives lost, mostly Japanese but probably a million or so American. And it would've taken like a year and a half-two years.

>drop bomb and kill hundreds of thousands of the enemy
>invade for years and kill millions

Do the math you bucktoothed diddler.

>this revisionism

Japan had already surrendered when the bombs were dropped.

No one in the allies was interested in a conditional surrender. We had already tested the so called toy.

>this necessity to open his fat mouth despite a total lack of knowledge about history

not on civilian populations

I am sad now +_+

>no your wrong that didn't happen blablablalba my anime my anime!!!!

Btw they literally didn't surrender. Kiddo. They only surrendered after the 2nd bomb. And even then barely, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't some high-ranking japanese officials sneak out the surrender message? I think Hirohito was still never going to surrender.

ワタナベクミコ

No kanji.

We all knew that it would kill people. It wasn't a test.

Please stop this yank shitposting. This thread isn't about your national ego.

They are Americans, everything is about their national ego

I'm sorry did I trigger your fragile sensibility? Shut the fuck up Niles.

Kantaro Suzuki and his government sued for peace before the bomb was dropped, it was literally his main purpose and objective as a head of government.

The thing is, they still didn't surrender after Hiroshima.

Soviet invasion intoto Manchuria and a belief that you have 1000 nukes finally made them do it.

And one thing is pretty bizarre: A large part of their motivation to fight until end was a belief that they would have to give up the Emperor. And when they were finally prepared to do this you let him in his place anyway. What was the point?

What does that mean breh

Probably Congress deciding things at the last minute as usual.

Watanabe Kumiko.

The Australian user can read kana but not kanji.

I'm done responding to your revisionist malarkey.

Soviet invasion intoto Manchuria and a belief that you have 1000 nukes finally made them do it.

Also completely true. The Japs back then were fucking stupid and entirely xenophobic/indoctrinated. So much senseless death. Completely separate from normal paths of thought, zealots.

they did

>In an article that finally appeared August 19, 1945, on the front pages of the Chicago Tribune and the Washington Times-Herald, Trohan revealed that on January 20, 1945, two days prior to his departure for the Yalta meeting with Stalin and Churchill, President Roosevelt received a 40-page memorandum from General Douglas MacArthur outlining five separate surrender overtures from high-level Japanese officials. (The complete text of Trohan's article is in the Winter 1985-86 Journal, pp. 508-512.)

>This memo showed that the Japanese were offering surrender terms virtually identical to the ones ultimately accepted by the Americans at the formal surrender ceremony on September 2 -- that is, complete surrender of everything but the person of the Emperor. Specifically, the terms of these peace overtures included:

>Complete surrender of all Japanese forces and arms, at home, on island possessions, and in occupied countries.
>Occupation of Japan and its possessions by Allied troops under American direction.
>Japanese relinquishment of all territory seized during the war, as well as Manchuria, Korea and Taiwan.
>Regulation of Japanese industry to halt production of any weapons and other tools of war.
>Release of all prisoners of war and internees.
>Surrender of designated war criminals.

jesus christ

who the fuck would steal something like that?

literally slavshit-liberator-tier behaviour

what do you think anglos are ?

they are the most despicable beings on the planet who willingly sold their countries to the jew for profit

Kek, the flag doesn't even exist.

>一途七生報国に生きむ
>"unfailing devotion to your country"

:(

Many people.
Hunting skulls and memorials of your enemies gives you some primal satisfaction if you were involved in a struggle for survival.

Seriously though, I really hope redeems his forefather's slavshit-tier behaviour and actually returns it. Hanging on to it despite knowledge of its origin and value would make him even more slavshit-tier.