Can someone help me understand this? I like it but it gets so much praise

can someone help me understand this? I like it but it gets so much praise...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WBFtl-0WK4I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

also this is the only thing ive heard from can or krautrock in general.

its known for being flawless

It's a good album, but I'm also confused. It's literally the weakest of Can's classic trilogy.

the only flaw is that bel air should have ended at 18:20 with the organ fading out.

...which makes it considerably better than most other music

i think there is something about master improvisors that makes them infinitely listenable and Can is 4 master improvisers

I always felt like this record was very aptly named because the music feels like they are just exploring through to the future together in their musical world. rhythmically, and sound wise especially i think they were exploring with such ease and comfort into uncharted territory. and they were such skilled musicians so they did what skilled musicians do and make very complex and subtle stuff go down so smooth and effortless so you don't even notice. plus they conjure up quite a good selection of vibes when you let them repeat a riff for a while like theres no way to skip 7 minutes into a Can track and have the feelings youre suppose to have if you didn't start from the beginning.

That's fair.

hell yes

Ege Bamyasi and Tago Mago are better starting points for them.

This, I personally found tago mago to be the easiest to get into.

Forgot this

Amazing album, title track changed my life. Irmin Schmidt, the keyboardist, signed my vinyl and cd copy of it. Can is amazing

That was done intentionally so that right as you got up and started going over to the turntable to take the needle of it would prank you and make you sit through another minute of it

The last minute has the greatest melody of all time so no, it's still perfect.

Maybe you're right, but holy hell the part right before the organ plays would have made the best ending to any album I ever had. The bass playing gives me chills there.

wait so the whole thing was improvised?

Sort of yeah. Bel Air is Can's masterpiece, holy shit what an amazing song from beginning to end, the transition around the 4:30 mark gives me chills every time

the best thing that has come from non-art music, and it is better than most art music

i don't even know what this means

how is can not art music? what do you consider art music?

can is popular music
popular music can still be art

everything about this album is so elegant, even when things are going nuts

Guessing he means classical, which is traditionally called "art music"

>spinning round and round
>spinning round and round
>and that's alrighttttt

Fuck it's so perfect

stupidest thing i've ever heard. did can even chart, even in germany? it was early krautrock, even if it did chart in germany it wasn't globally relevant, it was super experimental at the time, especially those extended tracks

popular music can be unsuccessful by mainstream standards, and experimental, retard

long seasson is future days 2.0
dad rockers btfo

pop music isn't actually about popularity pretty crazy huh

you sound like a dumb rockist

you are a fucking retard honestly. if you're trying to classify music you consider """popular""" and it's not actually fucking popular or successful in the mainstream (and is actually experimental, which is the opposite of popular), how is it popular?

define it then. wikipedia disagrees with you. i expect you both to provide ample sources (like wikipedia has)

>le rockist meme
leave

also, it wasn't early krautrock, this came out in 73, the scene had exploded into life four years ago and was already almost dead

fucking lol this it happens to me all the time

What did Stockhausen think of them?

someone post the chart so this masive PLEB gets educated, CAN threads dont need this filth

>experimental
do you even know what that word means
anyway most of the techniques used on this album were innovated by jazz musicians, which i doubt interests a rockist like you
you can keep getting buttmad that someone's trying to call your favorite prog band popular or you can move on w/ your life and listen to some miles davis u filthy casual

>almost dead
that's an overexaggeration but i was wrong by saying early krautrock

>anyway most of the techniques used on this album were innovated by jazz musicians
which techniques?

i doubt he liked them, he detested pretty much any music with repeating themes
though czukay's tutelage w/ him was really important to their sound
have you listened to canaxis 5?

i guarantee i know more about jazz than you hands down.

anyway you dumb fuck, when i say experimental i clearly mean that it's not verse-chorus structure. it's not POP by traditional standards, i don't get the dumb fucking mentality of everyone on here that caters to somehow classifying anything that's remotely derivative as pop music. just because it took influence from jazz music doesn't make it remotely pop at all.

compare can to actual fucking pop music from 73 like space oddity or some shit

nope
is this what you are talking about?
>youtube.com/watch?v=WBFtl-0WK4I
whats the difference between this stuff and noise music?

This is like the tenth "is it pop?" discussion today
Just stop, pop isn't a dirty word, music isn't any worse if some user called it "pop music" instead of "popular music"

>be part of the Stockhausen school
>make music that he would hate and get to rock legend status
D E V I L I S H

People here view experimental as a pissing contest, if something more obscure and less conventional exists, then that renders your artist of choosing moot.

It's nothing more than misguided elitism.

This one is my favorite, am I pleb for it?

In all seriousness, the drumming is incredible on it and steals the show in terms of performance. There really are no lulls on this album I'm finding out as I listen more and more to it.

Ege Bamyasi is probably the best subversion of the rock formula while still being accessible as fuck. Try that instead OP.

Is it? I've only recently been getting into Can. I started with Ege Bamyasi but I just didn't care a ton for it. Then listened to Future Days, because I like more ambient and psychedelic music in general and it almost immediately clicked. What am I missing with Ege Bamyasi anyway?

Just google popular music and accept that you are wrong instead of going on an autistic rampage.

It's literally watered down Art music though. Visceral, riffy/hook based popular music that as a result does its own unique thing>>>>>popular music trying to be art music but failing miserably at it.

Prog rock is terrible, it's pretty boring and that's about it

Maybe the first few songs are, but after Halleluwah it gets very inaccessible.

Great album, but Tago Mago will always be my favourite Can album

>es ist nur ein Prank, Bruder

Why do you never talk about Soundtracks, Sup Forums?

Because other than Mother Sky it's not super interesting

You're thinking of Ege Bamyasi.

Anyone else think that titletrack is the best?
>when the drums stop and the guitar and vocals float into the sun

It's just overrated, move on and don't give it a second thought

kek

Art music isn't recorded (well a lot of times it is), it's primarily sheet music and not some recording of a performance.
That's definitely not to say recorded music isn't art, it's just a term.

looks like a fucking university/college emblem

Thanks ill prob check out more accessible stuff now and probably come back to future days another day.

>she brings the rain
>don't turn the light on
>Deadlock

dunno, I love it

Tago Mago >>>>>>> Future Days > Ege Bamyasi

And Ege Bamyasi is AT LEAST a 9. It's just not right to intentionally put down any of the 3 albums when they're all amazing.

This

Tago Mago - 11/10
Ege Bamyasi - 8.5/10
Future Days - 8/10

Rockism was a term before the internet

tago mago>future days>ege bamyasi

Monster Movie - 7/10
Soundtracks - 7/10
Tago Mago - 8/10
Ege Bamyasi - 7/10
Future Days - 10/10
Soon Over Babaluma - 7/10