What's with all the hate on CD's?

What's with all the hate on CD's?

what hate? they're my favorite medium

I don't see any hate.

Rot.

My buds and some online peeps keep ranting on about it. Keep saying stuff like "If it ain't vinyl, it ain't worth it.". I thought it would make for a nice thread in here since I keep hearing it everywhere.

>I thought it would make for a nice thread

you were wrong

They aren't wrong in the sense that CDs lose their value almost immediately after buying them, where vinyl holds its value a lot of the time. Thats how I see it, but to say that "muh warmth" "muh sound quality" unless you have a bitchin sound system you arent going to notice much a difference between vinyl and cd, if anything youll get worse sound quality with vinyl if you dont have good equipment. Fuck those type of vinyl trendies, i like vinyl but im not in your face about it like some people.

the CD is extraneous, its purpose is just the .flacs or .mp3s to a computer library. literally no reason to keep a physical CD library over a digital library, since they're literally the same files and same sound. with vinyl its not the same

I already collect Vinyl as I prefer it over CD personally but nothing wrong with CD I just don't really have a reason for buying it.

CDs are alright. It's the destructive things that happened starting in the mid 90s and going overboard after 2000 that truly gives them a bad rap. The loudness war pushed the format to it's limits.

There are some good CDs out there to be heard though. Especially early Japanese pressings from the 80s, seek those out.

CDs in the car is one of the best was to listen to music

Some people see vinyl as a listening experience while a CD is just a digitalized vehicle that only serves the purpose of transferring the music to a computer nowadays.

With vinyl, you have the large artwork of the album, sometimes inserts, and you need to have the equipment to listen to it properly. Once you need particular equipment for something unconventional, it makes it more of an "experience" (for example, watching a film in a home theater is more of an experience on watching a digital download of a film on your computer.) Same concept.

I think people really just think it's more immersive to listen to vinyl than rip a CD on a computer and play it there.

i hope your hard drive crush so you lose all your "digital library"

>With vinyl, you have the large artwork of the album, sometimes inserts, and you need to have the equipment to listen to it properly. Once you need particular equipment for something unconventional, it makes it more of an "experience" (for example, watching a film in a home theater is more of an experience on watching a digital download of a film on your computer.) Same concept.
Pretty much this. Vinyl is a much more physical product than a CD is, that is to say that listening to a CD isn't much different than listening to files you download on the internet.

I extract the songs to my laptop and keep the cd's should it crash. Which it did.

They don't have any of the good features of cassettes, minidisks, vinyls, or digital files. Between every other storage format available they're just a shitty middle, popular but when was the last time the best technology was also the most popular? Plebs gonna pleb.

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to buy Digital. Digital uses lossless writing, while CD's is 'hard-written'. What this means is that for each minute the CD rotates in the player, it will lose roughly 4kbps, assuming it's a clean player - it's about 10kbps on portable players, but only 1kbps in a hifi stereo system, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is in a computer or other optical media.

I started collecting CDs in about 2001, and if I try to play any of them I bought back then, even the stuff I grabbed factory sealed, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. Digital rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to Digital, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.

Jesus Christ, can you be more fucking pretentious?

>everybody I disagree with is pretentious
Welcome to Sup Forums, you'll fit right in.

I hope all your CDs rot and you lose all your music.

Nothing, but they do become somewhat inconvenient with how music is now

Its not the disagreeing parts, its tge part where vinyl is a more physical and is more of an """"experience"""".

I would be fine if you said you just preferred vinyl, but you have to go on about how its more true way to listen to music. It's just another format to listen to music on

This

>if you said
The person you're replying to isn't Also you're not addressing the logic presented in either, just using ad hominem
By your logic watching a movie on your phone is the same as watching it in a theater because they're just different formats with no difference in experience. Obviously erroneous though.

If the cinephile can make a convincing argument of the simple basis of screen size then I think the audiophile can make an argument on storage formats, with vinyls being the patrician medium for a richer experience.

>hating on one format over the other
>not collecting both vinyl and cds

this

CD music quality in my car beats AUX, bluetooth and USB by a mile.

The difference is so noticeable.

Meme

In the mastering stage the audio is converted from 24-bit depth word length to 16-bit. Compared to vinyl in which the analogue grooves replicate the actual sound waves rather than 1s and 0s like digital files have.
Also the CD era was subject to shitty brick wall limiting on many albums due to the loudness war...

>the good features of cassettes, minidisks
explain those to me

Also I forgot to mention (to those that don't know) that each bit of word length doubles quality, so the 24-16bit conversion, despite dithering, makes the audio 256 times worse...

Once you buy CDs youre usually going to burn it on your computer and listen to it there, if you buy vinyl its a different experience entirely and really lets you appreciate a physical medium (big cover art, taking care of it, giving your music more value because you cant listen to it anytime or anywhere) also vinyl keeps its value and you can make the money back if you sell it, you cant make that much money off a CD collection. Digital has its convenience perks, but as far as physical mediums go, CDs are worthless compared to Vinyl.