What does Sup Forums think about Frank Zappa?

What does Sup Forums think about Frank Zappa?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zCNRgfkeWXs
youtube.com/watch?v=gIFJJdNCjk4
youtube.com/watch?v=DiMgH2vZSds
youtube.com/watch?v=JqqOCVJyx04
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I haven't really listened to much of his work.

From what I can tell is that he is a major tryhard who lives an angry life jealous of other's success.

the coolest guy to ever live

Loved hot rats

he's dead though

DUDE POOP AND PEE LMAO

no that would be Van Vliet

Let me fix that

*used to live

so putting effort into your music and caring more about fans than delivering a profit makes you a tryhard? Why cant all artists be tryhards then?

I think he's great

Lather is his best album

yes, Vliet must have been a reall cool dude

are you a LITERAL retard? you better be

Literally only heard Bobby Brown, fun song.

he always seemed like he would be incredibly insufferable in person. But he's dead now so whatevs

This desu him and his fanbase haves some inferiority complex with artists like the beatles or david bowie

he's funny at first but it gets old fast

God.

the best of the rest

>a mentally ill man who beat, underpaid and drugged his band mates and supposed friends whilst stealing credit for their work which he had very little useful input to
>cool
Nah m8. He had a great stage presence but he was a rotten cunt.

he sounds like a gypsy

He did essentially live like one for a while

He was a good composer and guitar player who often ruined his songs with crass humour. He was also such a dominating creative force that he often removed his musician's sense of personality from their playing. Which doesn't make a massive difference in some instances but it makes his jazz albums nearly unlistenable to me.

we're only in it for the money is really good

the rest of his output just so-so

The proverbial answer is "he was an accomplished guitarist and composer, but I didn't like him because. . ."

Personally, I love a lot of his work. I never was one to hold anything against his lyrics. I'm not one to devalue the merit of music based on the "seriousness" of it's writer. The only people I know to do this like to romanticize "their" music into these little narcissistic fantasies they envision themselves living or experiencing.

Anyway, I think the biggest asset that Zappa had that so many people overlook was that he was a bomb ass producer. This guy was ahead of the game, especially when it came to recording drum tracks, imo.

Everyone says he's good but no one can seem to justify why.

His composition is terrible and song ideas are half baked and tend to go on longer than they should.

He had some stellar sounds though and every now and then he pulled off a good concept. Bobby Brown is an awesome song.

One of the least accessible artists of all time. Sure he has some records that don't fit that description, obviously Hot Rats, but that's one hell of a discography to wade through.

> I'm not one to devalue the merit of music based on the "seriousness" of it's writer
Are people seriously doing this? In 2016?

I think that speaks volumes about this generation of people and what is "offensive to them". This generation of whiny snobs will find some contrived way to tell you that gangster rap or thresh metal is good and nuanced but they turn their noses up at everything that doesn't go out of its way to act le cool and contemporary

Seriously the idea of his music is that you can have crude juvenile art and still have it be sophisticated, the lewd humor is what makes it interesting

You're a weenie if you discredit his music because of poop jokes

I like him. But all people in these threads do is complain about muh beatles and crass lyrics, despite the fact that he has numerous instrumental albums.

/thread

Have you listened to his instrumental work?

That's exactly what he was fighting against in the 80s. Too bad things only got worse from there on.

Listen to some albums and not just individual songs to get a better idea of what he was all about.

If you're referring to the quantity of his albums, then yes, that's quite a lot of music to listen to. There are definitely some weird albums and some accessible and pleasant sounding albums. I think Captain Beefheart is even more inaccessible, especially if you start listening to TMR first.

>His composition is terrible
>literally one of the most respected composers

I think hes pretty talented regardless of his love for overly quirky things

Hot Rats is a great album

*>literally one of the most respected composers in rock history

you listen to oasis shut up please

>hot rats
his most generic album

WE ALL WENT DOWN TO MONTREUX!!

does that not make it great? also, how the fuck is it his most generic

I'm xylophonist... I love him!

it has peaches and regalia on it which is probably his most well known.. thing

This album is underrated as fuck

>never listened to him
>just regurgitates what others tell him

His live albums are 10x better than his studio ones.

t. scaruffi

>His composition is terrible and song ideas are half baked and tend to go on longer than they should.

Most pleb opinion ever.
>why doesn't he make 5 minute pop songs, I can pay attention to anything more complex than that

wrong

He is an acquired taste. But once yo get into his music, is one of the most enjoyable musical rides

>The only people I know to do this like to romanticize "their" music into these little narcissistic fantasies they envision themselves living or experiencing.

Are you projecting?

so what's up with Sup Forums's vendetta against zappa? like i get you think he's le wacky goofball man, but like, fuck. of all the artists you people love to destroy without knowing much about, why is zappa one of them?

70's Zappa shows were crazy as fuck

>people lighting the venue on fire and burning it down.
>Crazy fan pushing Zappa off stage and nearly killing him because the fan's girlfriend liked Zappa more then him

He had some fucking crazy fans for such playful non-angry music

Billlllyyyy the MMMoooouuuunnnntaaaaiiiiin

>Be me in a band
>we all came out to Montreux, on the Lake Geneva shoreline,
>be there to make records with a mobile. We didn't have much time....
>Frank Zappa and the Mothers were at the best place around.
>some stupid with a flare gun, burned the place to the ground.

pretentious autists don't like it when a musician has some little fun with his songs.

yeah zaps cool as shit. except when he's dumb. "tour slut" sounds like my homeschooled libertarian friend trying to be funny. going into his music knowing his reputation for being funny and intelligent i was a bit disappointed when he wasn't as funny or intelligent as i expected or hoped (IE not as smart and funny as me) but he's definitely better than the majority of other artists.

Not nearly as hardcore as Sun Ra though, in the way he lived and played his music, even though he has that kind of reputation. Still better and more interesting than almost anything else.

Zappa's humor really isn't as witty as people say.
Still, not nearly as bad as his imitators. They are all complete garbage.

Yeah he certainly had his own style of humor but he didn't have time to get any funnier because he was playing music at such a high level and wasn't able or inclined to be any funnier.

His Jazz stuff is his best. The Grand Wazoo is a masterpiece.

Some fantastic albums, some trash.

thrash

first description of Zappa's music I heard was my dad telling me "he was crazy. he would put out a great album, then his next one would be rubbish."

Yeah I already said that.

Your dad was right.

his humor was better in the 60s with the original mothers line up (just like his music)

Yep.
We're Only In It For The Money is stellar. Funny and the music is comfy af.

He was a genius who could be insufferably self-indulgent. When he wasn't trying his damndest to make his music avant-garde and unlistenable, he could make some incredible music.

THE BEST BAND YOU'VE NEVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE is one of the greatest live albums ever made.

His music was much better after he left The Mothers and made more jazzy instrumental albums and less humorous do wop

>who lives an angry life jealous of other's success
frank enjoyed a succesful life of being able to do what he wants when he wants and died very wealthy.

i would agree if not for the first 4 minutes of the ocean is the ultimate solution being chopped off
youtube.com/watch?v=zCNRgfkeWXs

that's what introduced me into his music.. it's like you said, fun.. but check out his more serious music.

youtube.com/watch?v=gIFJJdNCjk4

youtube.com/watch?v=DiMgH2vZSds

youtube.com/watch?v=JqqOCVJyx04

Inca Roads is an incredible song

freak out!, absolutely free, uncle meat, only in it for the money, lumpy gravy, and all of their live music is all entirely composed of doo wop parody, yep you are correct