/comp/ - Composition General

"The sign of a real composer is that, if he were put in a jail, knowing he would never be let out from there, even if he could never send letters or any other information from there, he would still compose." - Einojuhani Rautavaara

previous thread: An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

This differs from /prod/ in that it is more focused on the actual writing of music, not the production, and music theory. That is not to say /prod/'s electronic music is unwelcome, by all means, post here! But post with the intent on discussing composition. And remember, this is NOT /classical/. Any music, such as jazz, is acceptable

Post clyps and accompanying notation so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

THEORY

>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Orchestration (Rimsky-Korsakov)
northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles
teoria.com/index.php

>Arnold Schcoenberg's "Fundementals of Music Composition"
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf

>Jazz harmony (from the course at Berklee)
davidvaldez.blogspot.com/2006/04/berklee-jazz-harmony-1-4.html

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

IMPROVISATION

>Fake books for jazz and blues soloing
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzW9o5O35hQzMzA0ZmI0MWEtZGFmNi00OTQ0LWI2MjMtOWUyNzgyNmUzNzNm&usp=drive_web&ddrp=1&hl=en#

STUFF /COMP/ DOES

>the /comp/ YouTube channel
youtube.com/channel/UCqUEaKts92UIstFjrz9BfcA

>the /comp/ challenge
[email protected]

>/comp/ Georgian Modes Explanation by yodAnon
dropbox.com/s/v26nd8bepv74d8s/Gregorian Modes v1.5.pdf?dl=0

Other resources (full of lessons and books): pastebin.com/k3xddxwr

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/oujcf1fh
youtube.com/watch?v=xXI6H1YodNw
soundcloud.com/user-795244489/grave-happening
solomonsmusic.net/brahmrls.htm
youtu.be/WTW9fqvZyAA),
clyp.it/nflivsp1
youtube.com/watch?v=W4t72QQXSok
clyp.it/e2lnrrhi
youtube.com/watch?v=TJCuew6mIFE
youtube.com/watch?v=NuNrx2NfX7Y
youtube.com/watch?v=QczoJdtCJ_s
clyp.it/vor1gjnp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-interval_tetrachord
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Memorial edition
This guy is absurdly difficult to quote edition

He has so many good quotes but they're all way too long.
>There are very strong moments [in my 7th Symphony], but the logic is very clear in a classical sense—not in the sense that there’s a given form that it falls into, rather that it searches for its own form and finds it.
>When I had more or less learned all those techniques, I realized that if you follow your time, you come after it. You are not leading. The only way for me was to write the kind of music that I liked. That was the only criterion possible. I wrote the kind of music I wanted to hear at the moment. For instance, I learned the classical 12-tone technique in my youth, and I wrote several such works. But there was always the problem that harmony was extremely important for me, so important that it was impossible for me to follow the path the avant-garde took in the late 1950s and 1960s. I had to keep harmony. But still, even today, I think that the twelve tempered tones are the vocabulary of the composer in this century, and it’s only the question of syntax, of the organization of that vocabulary. My solution has been to seek a synthesis of the modern and of more or less tonal harmony.

Oh shit that's right
/COMP/ CHALLENGE # 4

Compose a work based on the four melodic stanzas in pic related. The rule is that the stanzas MUST BE LEFT INTACT, however, I have intentionally left out time signatures and barlines so you can do whatever you want with the division of pulse as long as the note duration and sequence, essentially the melody, is left intact. You're also free to choose tempo.

You MUST use all four stanzas, however, you can elaborate upon them or use them as climax etc.

For example:

STANZA 1 - elaboration - STANZA 2 - STANZA 3 - elaboration - STANZA 4 - ending

or

STANZA 1 - STANZA 4 - STANZA 2 - contrasting part in the form of a classical minuet lol - STANZA 3 - disco funk into fade out

Instrumentation: 1 instrument that uses treble clef as standard + 1 instrument that uses bass clef as standard.

You have few instruments to work with here, so make them count!

No longer than 2 minutes and 30 seconds per entry. Alright? Pick a time signature (or several) and get to it.

Here's a clyp of the stanzas for those who don't read sheet music: clyp.it/oujcf1fh (don't let yourself be limited by the time signature, tempo and instrumentation in this example)

Poly, if you happen to pass by, have you ever considered trying to write a fugue like this?: youtube.com/watch?v=xXI6H1YodNw
I'm interested what your take would be.

>I wonder when this was posted
>it was last Sunday
Are these still weekly?

bump

"Never begin working the out of a composition before the whole thing has taken definite form as an outline either on paper or in your head. When ideas come to you, go for a walk, then you will discover that the thing you thought was a complete thought, was actually only the beginning of one." -Brahms
How true is this? Should I go for a walk right now to imagine this piece I'm composing in its entirety?

(please respond)

Fuck it, going for a walk anyways

fuck, /comp/ really is beyond dead on the weekends

alright, final bump before I go for a stroll in 100 degrees Fahrenheit

Is it ok if I don't learn proper keyboard hand technique? I'm an electronic music producer, and I'm almost always recording each track individually. So, the chords wouldn't be played at the same time as the melody. This makes it easier for me to do weird octave stuff with the melody, and also I'm no good at doing different patterns with different hands.

My posture is ok I think, but my hand positions are basically random garbage.

Dead on weekends unless there's a stream.

I'd maybe do a stream about reading different kinds of old notation, mostly mensural notation and figured bass, if there's anyone interested.

And I assume I could pick up enough about that chord scale system to be able to explain it to people who are completely new to that concept.

wow, that really helped actually, and I'm surprised that my noise cancelers actually seemed to hinder it somewhat. Maybe it's just because it was a breezy, aesthetically-pleasing day, and my noise cancelers seriously accumulate their own heat and sweat in this temperature.

also,
>other people have posted now
It's always helpful to learn to play an instrument (or a group of instruments) properly, and piano especially, considering how helpful it is. Nothing beats intimate knowledge when trying to write something idiomatic for an instrument.

Laden in keyboard technique are subtle things that familiarize the student with the concepts of contrapuntal motion (or semi-/quasi-contrapuntal anyways), proper voice leading. etc.

Yeah, we used to have a stream every Sunday until just a couple of weeks ago, I wonder what happened to that.

I spent the last two weeks orchestrating this piece in a picturesque cottage
I feel like a composer now

I've just started making the notation

am I allowed to post just the music here and then the notation another time?

Feel free to. Just make sure the notation is enharmonically correct

well here's the piece
soundcloud.com/user-795244489/grave-happening

Its for strings and a timpani

unfortunately I've got next to nothing of the notation to show but I'll come back when its done as well

Seriously, I advocate everyone to go for a walk with a set of noise cancelers to imagine your composition (spend half the time wearing them and half the time not wearing them).

I did this on a beautiful quiet beach (without noise cancelers) and funnily enough, the waves started to work their wave into the music
it wasn't bad tho
it had that slow pulse of waves gently washing up onto shore

how do i into composition hardcore without institutional education?

jus do it

dunno if this'll really help, most just posting because but he does mention things for beginners. Maybe it'll be a good starting point.
solomonsmusic.net/brahmrls.htm

mind explaining why counterpoint is considered so important?

is it possible to have a violin section play chords consisting of 4 notes?
what would that look like? If there are any references you guys can recommend, I'd be very grateful.
new to composing

does any producer of electronic dance music (of all kinds, not only edm) write sheet music?

are there advantages to doing so?

Hmm, that's a tough question. It's definitely not as important, per se, as it was in Brahms' and Fux's time, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't learn it, similar to how you should already know classical physics before learning Einsteinian physics. (Don't take that too literally, music theory isn't perfectly analogous to physics.)

Basically everything from the Renaissance to the Romantic period was based in various ways on counterpoint.

In the Renaissance, and to a lesser extent the Baroque period, it was a mechanism in which multiple independent and self-sufficient melodies could be stacked atop one another (the effect to someone in its early days might have been something like youtu.be/WTW9fqvZyAA), but with controlled and not-excessive dissonance. In the classical and romantic periods it was used to decorate the melody with countermelodies that breathed life into the melody without detracting or distracting.

Even in the 20th century it has a heavy influence. Most composers/theorists took a closer look at the finer details behind counterpoint, what's its function? What do you avoid by following these rules? Some composers, Debussy for example, broke these rules to see the effects caused by doing so, this technique is called parallelism and planing. Some composers like Schoenberg took the rules a step further and followed them without any regard or attention paid to harmony, this is called linear counterpoint.

One other thing, learning counterpoint gives you a starting point from which you figure out how melodic lines flow, how they separate and come together, how the shapes of different motivic figures contribute to the vertical and horizontal momentums (momenta?) of a piece (if that makes any sense), all that jazz.

Basically it's helpful.

bump

What topics have been covered in the streams so far? I only remember two about chords and melody lines and one about modes

The first one was just sort of fundamentals and music intervals, I believe, and other than that you listed all of them so far.

can anyone help me on this/is there anyone with experience writing for strings?

clyp.it/nflivsp1
does this pattern of sampling work musically?

no, and no

do I really NEED music theory to write good music? or is it just a way to make the process easier? should I try to break it every once in a while?

Has anyone used a Komplete Kontrol keyboard? I moved to another country recently, and I'll only stay here for a while so I'm considering that for interpretation and composition.

Is it supposed to connect to your computer, and from your computer DAW, and from there to your audio? I would be using a pair of mid or high range headphones.

I don't see it having any sort of output for headphones and I'm completely retarded as far as audio equipment goes.

no amount of music theory will fix a shitty ear but there's really no reason not to learn it. it's pretty easy tbhfam

>tfw mediocre ear
It's not fair senpai!

Yeah, there are plenty, you have first violins and second violins but they can both play doublestops or divisi.

There's plenty in this movement, and in the entire suite as a whole: youtube.com/watch?v=W4t72QQXSok
Look up string suites, especially ones written for student orchestras like this one, if you want more references on this subject

you can train your ear to be better over time it's just that learning music theory doesn't mean you'll make good music immediately

someone with a good ear will invariably produce a better sound than someone well educated on music theory

not him but that doesn't really refute his point

thank you for the help
its a big relief to know its doable
this is the piece I was asking about
not sure whether doublestops of divisi would be better here but ill look into both as well as all the examples

Yes you can use "divisi" writing where the players split into different parts, each one playing a different note. You can also use 2 staves each for the 1st and 2nd Violins like in pic related. With these techniques you can have the violins playing up to 16 different notes at once (4 on each stave) provided your score was very clear. 4 parts on each stave isn't advisable, but with clear voice leading, or if they're just playing chords, it can be done.

2 parts on each stave is much more manageable, and I would recommend sticking to that. So with the violins in 4 staves, you could have 8 different notes at once.

You write "div" for divisi when you want the strings to play more that 1 note (but not using double stops) and "unis" for unison when you want them to return to playing the same note all together.

Note in pic related Martinů also has the violas in divisi

Interesting piece, personally I prefer to make something more lyrical and tonal. Hindemith has his charms, but this piece is very dry and repeats some quite blocky non-lyrical lines. I've passed my disjointed atonal phase, so prefer to write lyrical and tonal with plenty of chromaticism if I desire dissonance.

I wouldn't mind doing a fugue like the opening of Bartok's music for strings percussion and celesta, but like I said, that kind of atonal writing is kind of behind me. I need my music to be beautiful and lyrical - that is my voice: the other composers call me a "romantic"

>Day job has ended
>Applying for funding to complete my symphony
>Attempting to be full time composer
wish me luck anons, thankfully my country has a shit ton of support for the arts and there are many decent grants to apply for!

it's been a few days since i posted a piece, but that challenge thing really stops me from working. I find it kind of hard to make something from the stanzas that doesn't sound too simple or too bad.

Anyways, practicing some orchestration again.
Maybe it's a bad idea to actually post the score along with this because it looks so huge.

clyp.it/e2lnrrhi

Good luck user

>wish me luck anons, thankfully my country has a shit ton of support for the arts and there are many decent grants to apply for!
Where is that? I'm stuck in a shithole where you starve with the arts.

New Zealand. Some recent survey showed that 4/5 people value the arts and think its a vital part of our country, and people have been campaigning for good arts funding for 30 years so we're at a point where there's a LOT of funding out there, just a matter of applying for it all!

Good luck and thank you very much for all the help

Man that sounds great. Good luck, user. Take advantage of those opportunities.

pls

>Hindemith has his charms, but this piece is very dry and repeats some quite blocky non-lyrical lines
Really? I guess our tastes in musical lines is just too different, but I didn't really find it like that.

Its that repeating motif in the subject, imo a subject shouldn't have exact repetition, and should outline good harmonic changes. That hindemith fugue is very static compared to a bach fugue where the subject never repeats a part exactly and walks through different chords.

this is my kind of fugue (from 6:33):
youtube.com/watch?v=TJCuew6mIFE

bump

I mean, outlining good harmonic changes kind of goes out the window in Hindemith's tonal system.

I dunno, personally I think the repetition kind of centers it. Putting it in the subject is a good idea in this case - you can hear the subject and recognize it easily by its repetition, but you can focus on all the other stuff being done. In such a non-diatonic piece as this that becomes much more important, as too much variation in the different parts can lead to just chromatic white noise.

I mean I haven't written countless fugues and obsessed over them for years, so I wouldn't know but

Its certainly interesting to see what 20th century composers have done with the fugue. I found Shostakovich's fugues wanting, but I should revisit them. Anton Reicha's fugues are excellent and unusual, although he isn't 20th century. I wish Lera Auerbach had written 24 fugues to go with her preludes, I'm sure she'd do a great job - straddling the line between tonality and modern dissonance and serialism.

What do you make of the fugue from Liszts piano sonata in B minor?

youtube.com/watch?v=NuNrx2NfX7Y

I think he uses the repeated ideas very well, as he has the repeated rhythm move through different chords, giving the fugue more movement. It gets a bit "shredding romantic" for my liking by the opening is pretty good.

Ligeti's kyrie from his requiem is also fugal, but its a long way from the fugues we're used to...

>oh, fuck, how's he gonna end this in 30 seconds?
>oh, fuck, how's he gonna end this in 10 seconds?
>wait, how's he gonna end this in 5 sec-
Well, at least it got me to seek another video, where I saw the second theme actually comes from the previous movement (if not also prior to that).

I thought it was quite nice, although by the 2 minute mark I'm pretty sure it had already left fugue territory.

Wish I could listen or comment more analytically, but it's freaking 3 AM here

Bump

you should post a random score when you bump user

Can't, on phone

Which is more important to composing good music, taste or creativity?

What do you mean by taste?

I'm very fluent in the chord scale system, and could do a stream if there is demand.

literally only if you were integrating live performance with live instrumentalists, and you wanted to make rehearsals smoother

good luck

both? If you're creative but have no taste how do you trim the fat of what is creative but shit? At least, vice versa, you can write music that is enjoyable and at worst could only be boring.

Without creativity you can't compose music at all.
Taste is a personal thing. Its not quantifiable. What one person thinks is great taste, another thinks is awful taste.

Creativity on the other hand is something you can either say a person has or doesn't have, and its integral to composing music. "good" is also subjective.

I would say composing "effective" music takes a combination of creativity, knowledge, experience and hard work.

Since the thread is rather quiet, I hope you all don't mind me sharing this 2015 interview with Rautavaara that I found very inspiring.

youtube.com/watch?v=QczoJdtCJ_s

>chord scale system
I'd tune in. I understand that it's about expanding chords up to 15, so it ends up with 7 notes total, that you can reorder to make a scale, and then use that scale to improvise over the chord.
To me, this 3 step calculation (expand, reorder, make up lines using the scale whilst coming up with interesting rhythm as well) is not quite possible to do in real time. Also, naming the scales after building them doesn't happen instantaneously for me yet.

Therefore, I'd be happy to receive some instructions.

As for me, I could offer to cover a more basic topic like figured bass, as it helps consolidate one's understanding of chords and voicing, as well as some notations in the Roman literal analysis, assuming there's demand

Is my level of proficiency at jazz enough for a college jazz club? I'm not particularly good at it, but since they accept people with no jazz background, I wonder if I should be okay..

clyp.it/vor1gjnp

if they accept people with no jazz background, I'm sure they would accept you. Nice piece. I'm not too well versed in jazz but from a superficial standpoint, this improvisation seems skillful. You should be fine

That's the essence of how to build chord scales, but probably the best way to apply them towards playing is to memorize them in regards to specific chords. i.e. II-7 is dorian, III-7 is phyrigian etc. You still have a three step process but it's now analyze -> recall chord scale -> improvise, and I think that's easier. Of course, just practicing and improving your ear makes it go faster.

If they accept people with no jazz background they probably aren't playing really tough tunes anyways. You would definitely be fine. Autumn Leaves is an easy tune so I can't really say how you might handle harder tunes. Right now your main problems is rhythmic feel and some of your chord voicings, but definitely nothing that would prevent you from hangin at a college club.

im mesmerized

Thanks man, glad you liked it.

Yeah I don't think they are playing any tough tunes, in fact I think it's mostly old show tunes, they tend to feature vocalists prominently so I'm not expecting some sort of pure jazz trio or stuff.

By voicing, you are talking about the occasional chords I played during the solos? I feel that my biggest problem is being a pattern player, especially on runs. It's really tough to visualise different scales and shapes on a guitar compared to a piano I find, and i need to find some way to fix this.

Not entirely sure what value they have. They say they're designed to be completely integrated in Kontakt etc, but so can any midi keyboard, it's all fucking midi. Seems like a bit of a rip off, AKAI MPK 49 is half the price.

But yes, it connects to your computer through USB, and then to audio software with drivers. You then assign it to whatever virtual software instruments you own. This thing will make no sound by itself, you need software instruments too

And what of curative composing? Working through re/arrangement, found sound, sampling even?

>memorize them

B-but there's sooo many!

then here's a simple mnemonic: memorize them by the emotions you feel. choose from
>happy, sad, excited, depressed, thirsty, explosive, cheesy, bouncy, lively, slow, bold, dangerously cheesy

Hm, I'd say the main challenge is the second table with all the harmonic minor scales, as their accidentals don't translate into directly recognizable keys, and therefore produce altered modes. Then again, it's just 8 scales to learn really. That's not the world.

What would you say, how hard is a music theory? And how much of it should composers know (obviously less than performers), equal to or less than music theorists? What's the level you would need to be at to be comfortable at producing music? How long would it take to learn a decent amount of harmony by yourself (at least college level harmony for instrumentalists)? How deep do sites like teoria go with it?

This is a pretty crap way to learn chord scales anyways desu senpai imo

It is way easier to learn these in relation to a function. XMaj13#11 = lydian requires way more gymnastics than IVmaj7 = lydian (of course, if you're in major).
It also doesn't mention avoid notes at all, so this is really only applicable to soloing and not building voicings, and even then it skips over a pretty important part.

You could instead just look at them as alterations of other modes. "Oh it's a bVII7, usually dominant chords take mixolydian, but this guy has a #11, so i'll play mixo with a #11 (which is usually called lydian dominant for some reason)"

>And how much of it should composers know (obviously less than performers), equal to or less than music theorists?
did you mix those up?

Bumpo

bumping with a note, bump with yours and let's see what chord we make:

A5

A4

every frequency between 200Hz and 4kHz at equal power

every integer frequency or every frequency?

rest

F6

B3

Well, I'm looking forward to watching that chord scale stream.

F#5

ouch, so dissonant

Well, You could make a B7 without using the F#5, and a B+7 without using the F6

Still missing the third. Goin' for minor or major?

So we've ended up with a tetrachord of [0,1,4,6]. (F,F#,A,B)
Wow, we have one of only two possible all-interval tetrachords, apparently. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-interval_tetrachord

(Between F and F# is a minor second, between A and B is a major second, between F# and A is a minor third, between F and A is a major third, between F# and B is a perfect fourth, and between F and B is a tritone. So we have one of every possible interval, not counting inverted intervals.)

Good job, /comp/

both

major :^)

F double flat

D#

well technically, it's a maj7th since it's F#5 and F6

hi, i'm really interested in composition, and was wondering where the pest place to start would be for a complete beginniner. the only musical background i have is playing guitar, and i am intermediate at best. any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :,)

Well, yeah, but in set theory M7 = m2 (= A1 = d8)

true, which is why set theory fucking sucks