Jazz

What are some god tier jazz albums that RYM missed?

rateyourmusic.com/list/SGT/the_greatest_jazz_albums_of_all_time_as_voted_by_rymers/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4WPCBieSESI&ab_channel=thechickencompany
www34.zippyshare.com/v/0m8Pu6NP/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well there's almost no modern stuff on there for a start.

whats some good accessible, miles davis style modern stuff

im musically uneducated & plan to remain that way, but i fucking love bebop

What kind of Davis? The man changed styles a few times.

'kind of blue' era davis.

Tomasz Stanko - Suspended Night or Soul of Things, maybe?

>5 Dolphy albums in top 150
>no Out To Lunch!

What is this madness

so what's some modern stuff that should be on there?

Hmmm...

Something from Brad Mehldau, E.S.T, Robert Glasper, Tigran Hamasayan, Jason Moran, Vijay Iyer, Hiromi, Yaron Herman, Phronesis, Avishai Cohen Trio, Omer Klein, Colin Vallon, Alarmist, Pablo Held, and maybe Snarky Puppy, The Bad Plus, and BBNG.

love it. thank you, comrade. anything else in that vein you would recommend, or stuff i should get into next if i like that style?

>BBNG

ya blew it

Literally the 4th album on the list retard

none of that would really be "greatest of all time" though. It's dumb to throw mediocre stuff on there just to be diverse by adding newer albums.

Have you actually heard all of those artists? It's dumb to assume that they must be mediocre just because you've never heard them.

long before he made it to BBNG

Robert Glasper and Vijay Ayer have made great tier, Avishai Cohen has made good tier

the rest are trying reeal hard to stay relevant

Jason Moran and The Bad Plus have both made stuff that would belong in at least good tier

>No Archie Shepp
>No Dave Holland
>No Django Reindhardt
>No Joe McPhee
>No Charles Gayle
>No Frank Wright
>No Sonny Murray
>No Gabor Szabo
>No Noah Howard
>No Sonny Simmons
>No Clifford Thornton
>No David S Ware

If you listen to everything on this list you will have a fantastic collection.

But they missed stuff like:
Everything bossa nova (Moacir Santos, Paulo Moura, Cal Tjader, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Joao Gilberto)

And some free jazz (Anthony Braxton - For Alto, Roscoe Mitchell - Congliptious, Cecil Taylor - Nefertiti the Beautiful Has Come)

And random stuff like:
Calvin Keys - Proceed with Caution
Ahmad Jamal - But Not for Me
Archie Shepp - Attica Blues or The Magic of Juju
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
David Axelrod - Song of Innocence, Songs of Experience
Duke Ellington & John Coltrane - S/T
George Russell - Jazz in the Space Age or Electric Sonata
Eric Dolphy - Iron Man (I think is better than Out to Lunch, or on par with)
Bill Evans - Explorations

or even more recent stuff like Ambrose Akinmusire's the Face of My Savior

But that's a great list wp RYM

I added the last three more out of their popularity than their talent, that's why I prefaced them with a maybe. They may not be amazing, but you can't deny that BBNG are influential.

Very few of those artists are in any way Mediocre, and many of them have pushed the limits of possibility within the genre.

Certainly, most of them have as much place on that list as the second or third albums of most of the artists which make it. Sure, some of the greats like Mingus, Davis, and Coletrane started enough separate movements within jazz to warrant having multiple albums on that list, but most of them had one seminal album, and a lot of good (but not amazing or hugely influential) albums.

Now, there's something to be said, that it's harder to pick modern albums, because we don't know what will be impactful yet, but certainly SOME representation would be important.

Archie Shepp, Dave Holland, Django Reindhardt, Sonny Murray, and David S. Ware are all on that list.

The two albums led by Marzette Watts

All of your opinions are wrong, starting with...

>BBNG are influential
where? in Canadian high schools?

>Very few are mediocre
if there's any suspicion they're mediocre, just leave them off the list. Tigran Hamasayan I'd say is mediocre, same for BBNG not to pick on them.

>Most of them had one seminal album
Miles Davis alone had Kind of Blue, In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Sketches of Spain, the Entire Workin/Moanin/Steamin/Cookin/w/e suite, and Milestones, were seminal.
Coltrane had minimum two seminal Blue Train/Giant Steps, a Love Supreme
Meanwhile Mingus had exactly one style and it's called perfection.

>Meanwhile Mingus had exactly one style and it's called perfection.
Screencapped this for the next cringe thread, thanks.

I didn't see there was multiple pages

Good, etch it into your mind

Requesting any and all jazz essentials charts.

Louis Armstrong's Hot Five and Sevens recordings.
youtube.com/watch?v=4WPCBieSESI&ab_channel=thechickencompany

Atomic's Boom Boom, that's some fine scandinavian free jazz right there t b h

>where? in Canadian high schools?

They are literally one of the best-selling jazz artists of this decade. IV was THE best selling jazz album last week, and still second this week.

>Tigran Hamasayan I'd say is mediocre.

But that's like, your opinion, man.

You're arguing that Davis, Coletrane, and Mingus had more than one seminal album when I explicitly said the same thing.

I said "some of the greats like Mingus, Davis, and Coletrane started enough separate movements within jazz to warrant having multiple albums on that list" I was talking about some of the OTHER artists on the list who should have only had one album on it.

>BBNG
influential not popular

>Tigran Hamasayan
But the Mars Volta, man

rec me some Manga since you're too young to talk about music

dammit this always happens when I get heated on the internet. Sorry man...
How bout yous send me your mum's phone no so I can call her up, and apologize for being so rude to her little boy.

>influential not popular

Lasting popularity all but guarantees influence. That's kind of the nature of art.

>But the Mars Volta, man
Yes, the Mars Volta.

>rec me some Manga since you're too young to talk about music
I'm not sure that even you know what you're talking about any more. You're getting angry and trying to ridicule me over an opinion we share. We literally hold the same opinion on the matter, your struggles with reading-comprehension are the only thing that are putting you at odds with me.

fool let me tell you one little thing about music. It doesn't matter whether we agree or disagree, or whether your taste is bad and my taste is good or whether my taste is good and whether your taste is bad.

I forgot where I was going with this :(

thanks. haven't seen these before.

>snarky puppy
>bbng
Fusionshitters are the absolute worst

pro-tip though:
as soon as you graduate high school, neither you nor anyone you know will ever use the words reading comprehension again. pass your SATs first though that shit matters.

>popularity all but guarantees influence

So Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus are the most influential of all time because they're popular?

See the comment on BBNG here: Same applies to Snarky Puppy and The Bad Plus.

I work in developmental psychology. Reading comprehension comes up fairly often.

It's not necessarily proportional (such that the MOST popular is not necessarily the MOST influential), but they are absolutely among the more influential artists of our time, yes.

>developmental psychology
Hey that's awesome man

Well, it's about the only useful thing you can do with an undergraduate degree and no work-experience that isn't in childcare.

Reminder to come check out this week's /blindfold test/ thread.

www34.zippyshare.com/v/0m8Pu6NP/file.html

The theme this week is Connecting Links (each track has one player in common with the next)

wheres colours of chloe?

Why does Sup Forums hate BBNG?

The HipHop fans think they're pretentious for their jazz influences, and the Jazz fans are either too traditionalist to care, or recognise their limited grasp on the jazz idiom, and ignore what other talent they do bring to the table.