LP5 and beyond > gescom

LP5 or Confield?

I think Confield but sometimes I'm not sure

y not both

No idea where to put elseq desu

how is exai and untilted plebian. btw elseq is patrician

lads
everything should go into the trish category desu

Switch LP5 and Quaristice it's more accurate.

So how long did it take everyone for their music to really click with you ?

About 5 listens into Draft 7.30
That shit was, and still is, a whole other level. Everything else sounded great after that, including Quaristice and Untilted which I don't like so much now.
Never listened to Gescom, where to start?

a few listens of tri repetae
they sent out a link for a free download of the album because it was its anniversary or something and i gave it a try. took a while though, and it just got better since

both wrong. i

elseq did nothing for me
I'm at first but it's been growing on me more and more. Anyone else feel the same?

listened to 3 of the 5 discs of Elseq so far, pretty awesome imo

>been listening to ae for like 3 months
>going chronologically, including eps
>gotten to ep7 so far, liking every release better than the last one
>heard that Confield is mindblowing
>want to experience it first time on acid
>tfw not gonna be back at school with acid available for another month
>tfw can't listen to anything post-Confield yet because muh chronological order

Will Confield on acid first time make it all worth it bros?

Personally, I'd listen to it analytically first. it kinda has the acid feeling without requiring the acid. Plus I wouldn't want anything between me and the record, if you have a great experience, its giving the acid too much credit

That's a fair point. Maybe I'll enjoy it more on acid if I'm already somewhat familiar with it?

How come no one's mentioned this new track?
touched.bandcamp.com/track/jnsn-code-gl16

Reminds me of Quaristice/Oversteps a bit

None of their recent comp tracks have really done anything for me besides 6852 and ts1a. Those were great.

bumpp

where to start with autechre?

it hasn't clicked w me yet. every musician i love worships them. i don't get it. it just seems like pretenious squarepusher boring idm glitch bullshit

chronologically.

i didn't do this (started with confield) and REALLY wish I did.

don't make my mistake user.

also, if you don't like early autechre, you might like mid/late autechre so don't lose hope.

I like mid autechre personally.

who here untilted |B^)

thanks my dude

Goz Quarter gives me warm fuzzy butterflies :)

Huh, this is so far removed from how I think of them 2bh. Besides the fact that I've never belived that Ae really fit into the """IDM""" mold after LP5, pretentious is the exact opposite of what their music is imo. It's just sounds - always has been. No hidden contexts or meta commentaries or anything that one needs to understand. Think they're pretty "egalitarian" actually.

Stop thinking of their material as something to solve (I've never liked how their music is equated to math problems or w/e despite being algorithmic in nature) and maybe it'll click.

youtube.com/watch?v=zix0nqrRrJ4

I am going to their show on oct at Gent,Belgium..What should i expect? Never been to Autechre show before so i am bit curious.

One of the best and most brutal live experiences ever. They play in complete darkness. Go.

lol I guess sean booth is a contrarian

Did he say what album is his favorite?

chiastic, yeah

Nice.

>General about 2 guys who literally make blip bloop robot noises
Kek

Anyone else into Move of Ten? It's my favorite Autechre I've heard so far

seeing them in November. pretty excited.

London?

nope, Stockholm. you seeing them too?

Half of it is great and the other half is sorta mediocre (for them) imo

>If technology Autechre marked with the seal of futuristic music, the group has often wrongly been accused of highbrow. The famous label IDM - Intelligent Dance Music - glue them to the Basques.

>"It's stupid, it means absolutely nothing! Worse, I think it is a racist term to denigrate black dance music, the original Detroit techno, and assert that England was born a different European electronic music, emotional, civilized." And white. "It's horribly arrogant", supported Rob. "This is ridiculous! I want nothing to do with it, it's depressing to know that this term is widely used," concludes Sean.

what did they mean by this?

lesinrocks.com/musique/critique-album/autechre-elseq-1-5/

>and white is without quotes
lol

the whole thing is a clusterfuck of editing and mistranslation

fucking french journos man, every fucking time

is this really a shock? most of the big artists associated with "idm" don't endorse the descriptor, but autechre in particular have always been highly critical of and outspoken about their distaste for it. they loathe the term.

also i hope watmm sees this lol. they're always so militant in their defense of their ~idm~ label.

who is gonna be at the graz show lads?

They aren't wrong.

among electronic community their first three albums are considered their best.

Yeah and a lot of ppl disagree with that...

yes in london :) have fun

Trying desperately to make it a race thing now I see.

They need to let that shit go. The label stuck. Get over it.
>its rassis!
Please.

Nah, it's stupid. It deserves to be shit on. Only pards defend it tbqh.

I'll be in London too m8

what can they do? they always get fucking asked about it.

Everything from Untilted to Oversteps is trash. TRASH.

Quaristice and Oversteps are great lad

I don't love Untilted but LCC and Pro Radii are ace

nah

Is this flowchart any good? I'm interested in listening to these guys.

no
chronological order

this is the most disgusting thing i've read all week. oversteps is their best album. you should be ashamed

I've missed /aeg/.

Incunabula clicked straight away, but I've been listening to them chronologically and it's been a bit different for each album.

Amber was a weird one for me - I think the more ambient nature of it threw me off but the sound design is far better than Incunabula in retrospect.

Tri Rep clicked straight away then got boring fast. Still like it a lot though.

Chiastic Slide took a few listens.

LP5 was also a weird one. I loved some individual tracks like Acroyear2 but the whole thing didn't sit right with me until a load more listens. It felt way too disjointed at first.

Confield clicked right away.

Draft took me a few more listens to fully appreciate, but when it did, boy oh boy. It has to be my favourite atm.

Currently on Untilted. I loved it on first listen but I'm having the same trouble with it as Tri Rep. It gets a bit stale. The melodies are great but coming from Draft I wish it was a bit more complex. Some of the tracks like Ipacial Section and Iera, despite being fantastic in their own right, don't have as organic a composition as say 6IE.CR or P.:NTIL as well.

I love all the EPs but I'd say EP7 was a bit of a hurdle. I'm interested to return to it because at the time I found 7.2 much easier to get into than 7.1.

Can't wait to move onto Quaristice and beyond.

Quaristice gets a lot of hate but imo it's fantastic, especially in conjunction with Quadrange and (Versions). In fact those EPs sort of paved the way for what they did with elseq. I'd say to keep an open mind with it.

Also, I had the same experience with Confield being immediate but EP7 taking more time. I still think LP5 is a little disjointed despite the fact that I enjoy most of the individual tracks.

damn this is really old
but nah chronological order or bust

Are there still tickets going for that? I know there's still tickets for Brighton.

When I found out it wasn't called Untitled but was actually called Untilted it blew my mind.

Untilted is all hardware so it just doesn't have the same fluidity or flair as their perfectly constructed Max patches imo. Still pretty complex regardless - it's their most composite release.

Nah, iirc London sold out in a few days.

straight arca

if by that you mean the one album between them then while I'd say it ain't trash it is easily their worst album

no

awful chart

yes

>Can't wait to move into Quaristice and beyond
lol

who /Pen Expers/ here?

fucking next-level track, surpasses music, those rising sci-fi esque sounds give me sooo many feels, the drums melting away make me think of the apocalpyse, so cinematic yet made in max msp with a bunch of algorithms, I'll never get tired of that track EVER.

100 percent right

Anyone have this song in flac or something?

That includes 3 of their best releases, u donut

was mostly loling at Quaristice, but while I really like Oversteps I wouldn't consider it quite one of their best either they aren't where I've left them desu

stupid gorillaposter

What's your take on the blue album?

the silver version is marginally better at least

I never visit Sup Forums, but when I do there's always an Autechre general. I've listened to all their albums twice but still don't understand them. I listen to their stuff in all different moods, trying hard and trying soft to get them. But it doesn't click. Aphex Twin is my favourite artist, so I shouldn't think it would be too much of a culture shock trying to appreciate Autechre. I can't understand BoC also.

Is anyone able to write an incredible verbal explaination of what 'it' is. What is that magic that evidently I'm missing out on. It's depressing, I feel like I'm missing out, this is the shit for me, but I don't speak their language. Everyone else is in a state of awe, heavily enjoying their stuff, it's just random grating boring noises to me.

Please read the following in Patrick Bateman's voice and cadence.

It was maybe a three-six month period circa 2001-2, and I was branching out from Aphex Twin. IIRC my first three albums were Amber, Tri Repetae(with the ++) and Confield, in that order maybe. The first Autechre track that I can remember listening to and liking was "Lowride", which I had downloaded on Napster during its initial incarnation, shortly before it was shuttered as that incarnation of itself. Lowride is a very conventional melodic synth track, which sounds like walking around in Manhattan in the 1980s. I think I have that mental association for two reasons: first of all, album-companion "Kalpol Introl" is used in the movie Pi, which depicts a gritty, fictionalized New York life. Also, the piano effect vaguely reminds me of part of the soundtrack for Ghostbusters, which is also set in New York and is naturally 80s af. I think I was still also watching some MTV at that time in my life (they even sometimes showed music videos even that late), and they of course had studios in New York.

On Amber (my first Autechre release), I've always liked Montreal, which suggested to me much the same mood as the above Lowride, walking around a gloomy city all serious and cool or something. On Tri Repetae, Clipper (again, the second track) quickly stood out to me as doing substantive melodic/harmonic interplay.

Naturally, Confield was a hard left, but once I "got" standout Pen Expers, then the rest came into focus, and all these together with Vlermx21 (which is very much of a piece with the small interlude "a warm place" by Nine Inch Nails, again perhaps part of why I associate the two is the Nothing records connection) gave me the disease. I started aggressively buying everything in their catalogue that I could get my hands on, and I've kept mostly current ever since. Been to two lifetime shows (one less than a year ago), got two t-shirts and ticket stubs.

Eh, I love Oversteps. Composition wise, it has their craziest melodies. Def their most harmonically and contrapuntally complex album. The three albums I was speaking of (Oversteps, Ae_live, elseq) are some of their most impressive work imo. Loads for that user to look forward to.

I like Exai quite a bit as well, but a good half hour could have been shaved off it.

>I can't understand BoC also.
Just wondering - and I'm not trying to call you a pleb or something - but how much "abstract" "electronic music" do you listen to? Judging by that bit and the "random grating noises" part it seems like you just aren't too used to stuff that employs more odd and subtle sound design, which Ae and BoC both do (at least far moreso than Aphex.)
I love Oversteps too, I just also love a bunch of their other albums and slightly prefer them. I also love all the stuff that's come after, really I should've stopped the meme arrow after Quaristice in my original post.

I don't have the verbose explanation you're looking for, my man. I will mention that it seems your taste in music just doesn't encompass ae. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps it's not your style. If you are determined to penetrate their sound, all I can recommend is that you keep listening now and again. Come back to it in a year. You can also try the brute force method by smoking some weed before you settle in for a listen. Yeah Yeah,
>dude weed
but I'm serious. It can help you hear it differently and notice things you didn't before.

Good luck bro.

That's why I really don't think AE fit in with the whole "IDM" group - they're far more related to the experimental and glitch scenes and artists that came out of Austria/Germany.

Listening to Autechre, there are certain basic themes that I'll suggest. I think most fans will find these to be reasonable statements even if they don't completely agree.

-Increasing abstraction, followed by a slight pull-back on this pattern of growth. Autechre as a group started out making more conventional electronic music, and over time the patterns got more complex and strange, to the point of being annoying to some people. But if you dig it, you dig it. There's a "nerd" appeal to Autechre, for that reason - if you're a fan, you're in on the "joke" - in on their pattern of growth and change, and you have a good idea of "what they sound like lately". There's a clear progression, and they may re-employ some technique from the past, but they never go backwards.

-hints of hip-hop, without really being hip hop (Autechre have certain roots here). the great "goz quarter" on Envane (IIRC) samples "No Awareness", by Dr. Octagon. Meanwhile, "V-PROC" does sound like a hip-hop dance track of the future, that robots could breakdance to - IMO it's no accident that the track also sounds like machines breaking apart, another thing that people tend to hear in Autechre. "V-PROC" itself has been suggested to mean "uprock", a hip-hop related term(?)

The dancing in this clip isn't very good, but it conveys the idea that I'm getting at with respect to V-PROC: youtube.com/watch?v=VMuGizQac90

-Struggle between rhythm (even something which sounds arrhythmic) versus a melody, or hints of a melody. Often the melody sadly loses, which is an artistic theme in itself. Pen Expers is the example par excellence of this

-The Long, Slow Fadeout: Autechre employs this on many of the final tracks of their various releases. Vletrmx21, Sublimit, Flutter, etc. This kind of goes with the above notion of machines tragically breaking down, slowing to a stop, spinning off alone into space forever like a voyager probe.

This is what I hear. I know some others agree.

I'm into Aphex Twin deep. I adore his music more than I'm able to articulate. I've cherry-picked about 100 of my favourite tracks of his. I've been listening to Bradley Echos nonstop for months now.

Thanks mate. Solid advice.

I'll read this again and keep this in mind as I listen.

I'd actually argue that Tri Repetae was by far the main influence on the "IDM" sound, but if you're talking anything from Confield forward then I totally agree.
I meant stuff other than RDJ because as I already mentioned his sound design isn't as out there as Ae's, but that is a pretty nice list. Incidentally, I feel the way you described about BoC.

don't worry, man. stick with it and listen regularly over several years. it only takes one song and you're rolling.

>aphex twin
>mp3

I too can't get into AE. To be fair, I just listened to Exai, which seems to be held in high regard when it comes to their albums, and nothing else a few times and it's just impenetrable. By the time I'm finished with the album I can't remember anything. I think I'm looking for melodic patterns like with AT and BoC which simply aren't there with AE. I really need to concentrate hard when listening to Exai.

this comment reminded me how I got into flac over mp3. The first album I downloaded and listen to in flac was SAW 85-92 just to compare the quality and see if I could hear a difference. Short answer is yes and I almost only download flac now

Idk, TR is hiphop as fuck and there just isn't much of that in the "IDM" scene apart from some Skam releases. Not saying TriRep wasn't influential - it certainly was - but there really isn't anything else that sounds quite like it (I'd almost say LP5 had more elements pilfered from it by copycats). In terms of its austere and mechanical nature it could be considered the pinnacle but there are loads of stylististic elements that never really bled into the IDM mainstream imo

Haven't you been reading the thread? best way to get into autechre is by listening to their discog in chronological order. Exai is a terrible place to start

Can't knock that selection, I hope you get into Ziggomatic as soon as possible, when that track clicks your life will never be the same.

>listens once and expects to get it
do you even music appreciation?

If you want to get music, you listen to it regularly over a month period, then re-listen same time next year and so on. standard approach. seriously, listen regularly and same time of year, preferably fall. 3 years and you feel it.

So then listen to their older music, and tracks from Exai that are easier listens
youtube.com/watch?v=FiRLb8AYgIc

Exai was the first time I listened to autechre, years ago when it first came out, and I only started enjoying Flep last week.