What are some essential goth bands? Is it even a genre?

what are some essential goth bands? Is it even a genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xd9LpME3jnk
youtube.com/watch?v=yoodNwr7RZE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_metal
youtube.com/watch?v=Lx_cQ8J7-CE
youtube.com/watch?v=w1G-9WUgptY
youtube.com/watch?v=OKRJfIPiJGY
youtube.com/watch?v=Wik2eRPRPJE
youtube.com/watch?v=QCg4i1f_oDY
youtube.com/watch?v=2QdIAjGwGEo
youtube.com/watch?v=AKnpc3VzuiY
youtube.com/watch?v=eoVh-vtFR1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=UAdOZBnkx3s
youtube.com/watch?v=PPnABzKjj70
youtube.com/watch?v=DpoKPYb0KCM
youtube.com/watch?v=O_Vt43hHQw0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

christian death

>Is it even a genre?
No, but it is an aesthetic quality.

You can 'sound' gothic, or look goth, but there's no such genre.

youtu.be/xd9LpME3jnk

youtube.com/watch?v=yoodNwr7RZE

this

Also Type O Negative is pretty much the textbook "goth" band.

skip most goth music and go to 80s darkwave/synth stuff

it's like goth music only good

Clan of Xymox

Don't bother asking Sup Forums, this board has no clue about this genre.

there's goth rock, but there's more to goth music than goth rock

well first off we know it's not a genre

Bauhaus, sisters of mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees,Alien Sex Fiend,Christian Death.

Judging by your picture you are some 16 year old who thinks goth is some picture you reblog on your tumblr

depends what kind of goth you are

if you're an 80s goth with crazy hair you'll listen to death rock, goth rock, darkwave and heavenly voices.

If you're a rivethead/cybergoth you'll listen to harsh EBM, aggrotech and industrial rock

If you're a corsetcore goth you'll listen to neoclassical and gothic metal

If you're a mallgoth you'll listen to nu-metal and emocore that has melodramatic female vocals

If you're a tumblr pastelgoth you'll listen to witch house and le creepy dreampop

The Peaceville Three
It's a metal sub-genre.

>well first off we know it's not a genre
Yes it is, there's a common sound to 80s goth.

and if you're a gothninja from /fa/ you'll listen to drone

a sound is not a genre

Enlighten us then, O goth master

Yeah, it's called doom metal.

Goth being a thing died with marylin manson, that was its death rattle.

Anything after that is just millennials cosplaying.
Also everyone move on to emo.

Goth was born out of the post punk scene, every goth singer is pretty much doing an imitation of ian curtis vocally.

There are no modern bands who would be considered goth, its just a fashion statement now, and not one practiced that much anymore

Marilyn Manson

Gothic metal originated from doom, doom is another sub.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_metal

Simply put, goth died when the fandom of the late 80s/early 90s goth boom got too old to participate in subcultural activities. At least in my town, the scene was completely dominated by dudes born in the late 60s and died quite suddenly sometime early in this decade when they quit the scene.

Millenials cosplaying as 80s new wave guys cosplaying as characters from German expressionist movies cosplaying as characters from victorian fantastical novels cosplaying as medieval play characters cosplaying as pre-christian barbarians.

Being goth has always been about trying to imitate an idealized version of something from the past.

Except when it was about pillaging Rome.

How do I get a trad goth gf?

youtube.com/watch?v=Lx_cQ8J7-CE

bauhaus

Enjoy OP

It was stated here.
Goth arose in the 80s out of the UK, and was all post-punk bands playing slower, dirgeier songs and imitating Joy Division.

OG goth is Sisters of Mercy type shit, or The Cure, or Joy Division, or it's more manic sounding stuff like The Birthday Party or Alien Sex Fiend.

Then after the 80s it splintered into a million different genres, none of which could really be considered goth.

>a sound is not a genre
It literally is.

Industrial is a goth genre through and through, even though the fandom is split between goths and pretend-fascist neofolk types. And what's more, it developed independently of Joy Division with Throbbing Gristle and Nurse With Wound, etc.

>Industrial is a goth genre through and through
Yes.

>And what's more, it developed independently of Joy Division with Throbbing Gristle and Nurse With Wound, etc.
Actually it developed before goth, the two fused in the 80s and 90s because they had overlapping scenes.

the fuck are you on ?
Industrial only started crossing with the goth scene after several years. Even then you had to wait until the 90s and Skinny Puppy for goths to massively co-opt industrial music and create new subgenres tailored around their own aesthetics out of it.

It didn't fuse with goth so much as fuse with the other, more rockist, strain of goth.

>through and through
fuck no
pretend-fascist neofolk types and oldschool EBM guys aren't goth.

Then what the fuck are you calling "non-rockist goth?"
Those rare few darkwave bands that had even more makeup and crazier hairstyles than new wave guys?

Cause even those appeared AFTER Industrial became a thing.

There were quite a few of the older industrial musicians that started making rock music, or neofolk later on.

It was more that industrial had a large impact on experimental rock, overall. I think more rock musicians dabbled in industrial than industrial musicians made rock music.

some industrial bands (like SPK) made new wave
some new wave bands (like Ministry) made industrial rock
it was all a big clusterfuck in the late 80s

>Then what the fuck are you calling "non-rockist goth?"

Precisely our subject, early industrial. I would call the aims and methods of TG, NWW and Current 93 nothing if not goth. It seems that all of you are ascribing too much importance to the glammy, fashion side of rockist goth music. But what about the tempos, the lyrical subjects, the whole aesthetic of grossing people out? Goth didn't start out as this neoromantic, neogothic (as in literature) lace and velvet sort of deal. That came much later, I believe.

>every goth singer is pretty much doing an imitation of ian curtis vocally.

Unless you're imitating Rozz Williams, Andrew Eldritch, or Siouxsie Sioux.

What a qt

Why the fuck do you think it's called "goth", if not as a reference to gothic novels and dark romanticism?

You're literally the first guy I've seen call early industrial "gothic". Current 93 is just fucking neofolk, sometimes it's kinda gloomy and nostalgic but by that standard, old-school blues is gothic as fuck.

>rockist
>precisely

Man i hope you get slow deblitating ass cancer

>I would call the aims and methods of TG, NWW and Current 93 nothing if not goth
I would call them dadaist in the case of NWW, futurist in the case of TG, and grandpa's guitars in the case of Current 93.

>I would call the aims and methods of TG, NWW and Current 93 nothing if not goth.

All of those artists were involved with the occult. They were goth before it was even a thing.

>involved with the occult
there's more to being goth than having an interest in the occult.

Why aren't you calling Heavy Metal goth while you're at it?

>Why aren't you calling Heavy Metal goth while you're at it?

I was about to bring this up.

What is considered goth these days is subject to much revisionism.

There was the 80s UK scene that was drawing on a bunch of things, and there was the US deathrock scene which spawned independently of it at the same time.

>grandpas guitars

this is goth: youtube.com/watch?v=w1G-9WUgptY

all the Aggro-X bullshit we see nowadays is the product of Industrial fusing with the goth scenes. Of course there's correlation.

PD: This is the only acceptable waifu.

>spawned independently

At least from a musical perspective, they were both outgrowths of punk and glam at least, and in some ways the ethos of the former and the theatrics of the latter are like the genres' dad and mom.

>Why aren't you calling Heavy Metal goth

In terms of fashion both heavy metal and goth can also point to co-opting BDSM fashion as part of their visual appeal.

Why the fuck are you bringing up aggrotech?
What does it have to do with you calling Throbbing Gristle and Nurse with Wound "gothic through and through"?

By this logic I could say that Metal was always a wigger genre because it has ties in blues rock and because in the late 90s rap metal happened.

Surely even you can realize that this is bullshit.

Heavy metal is just goth with distorted guitars.

Metal is older than goth, m8.

It's just electric blues about the devil.

Goth is punk with more bass about dracula.

Get it right.

it's a lot more complicated than that.
Judas Priest introduced the whole "gay BDSM biker leather fetishist" thing to Heavy Metal but everyone else just turned it into a "post-apocalyptic barbarian" look.
It's a lot like Mad Max 2: Humungus and his guys have blatant homosexual overtones but they just work as modern-day barbarians because spikes and leather look mean.

Goths however, appropriated leather and spikes BECAUSE it was tied to BDSM

to be honest I just wanted to post lewd Cosies

Yes I know, but they both have the same aesthetic, and the difference between them at this point is in really how much distortion they use, how high their basslines are, or whether or not they use drum machines or actual drummers.

>to be honest I just wanted to post lewd Cosies
A completely forgivable sin, now post more.

>BECAUSE it was tied to BDSM

This is because

>because spikes and leather look mean.

Then again even in 1969 the guys in Black Sabbath alternated between dressing like hippies at a funeral and like witch hunters in an Italian horror movie.

>both have the same aesthetic
no they don't

except maybe Sisters of Mercy I guess.

There's one very important aspect of Metal you're forgetting, which is quite possibly its essence:

Metal is supposed to be badass.

Goth isn't. When something goth happens to be badass it's incidental. In fact most of the time goth shit is supposed to sound vulnerable and angsty.

No dude martyrdom, self-flagellation and sado-masochism are more essential to goths than looking mean.

>In fact most of the time goth shit is supposed to sound vulnerable and angsty.

Confirmed for not listening to anything outside of The Cure and Joy Division.

I think the 80s helped completely sever the public connection between metal and goth through thrash and glam (even though goth is indebted to original glam rock), which is also probably why goth got more and more synth-focused. Doom and to a lesser extent black metal will always have their place as the bridge between the shared goth motif.

Completely agree, especially about black metal.

Dude even somewhat goofy/happy-sounding stuff like Alien Sex Fiend is very morbid and the vocals are quivering and hysteric.
There's always some melancholy even when you have driving riffs and a manly crooning vocalist like Eldritch.

CHRISTIAN DEATH AND ANYTHING ELSE ROZZ WILLIAMS DID AFTER OR BEFORE IS ESSENTIAL

>are more essential to goths than looking mean

No dude dressing up like its Halloween and putting on funny voices like a 50s horror host is more essential to goths than self-harm.

The majority of goths simply weren't "woe as me" Ian Curtis types. That doesn't mean they didn't sing about dark topics or pattern themselves with a dark image, but goth was since the beginning and until it died, partially about having fun with it.

>and the vocals are quivering and hysteric.

This is still goofy, m8. People taking it too seriously is why Rozz was embarrassed by it.

Not quite. Doom Metal and Black Metal lend themselves particularly well to goth-metal hybridization but they aren't directly indebted to the goth scene.

Bauhaus were pretty significant in the development of the idea of a gothic musical aesthetic both aurally and visually.

Peter Murphy is also a quintessential gothic front man imo.

youtube.com/watch?v=OKRJfIPiJGY

youtube.com/watch?v=Wik2eRPRPJE

youtube.com/watch?v=QCg4i1f_oDY

Yes my lord.

>Doom Metal and Black Metal lend themselves particularly well to goth-metal hybridization but they aren't directly indebted to the goth scene.

I'm not claiming there are, bruv, only that they serve (in doom's case historically and in black metal's base much in spirit) as fellow travelers in aesthetic in a genre that is, musically, not particularly related.

I consider this goth, but it might be post-punk aswell

youtube.com/watch?v=2QdIAjGwGEo

youtube.com/watch?v=AKnpc3VzuiY

youtube.com/watch?v=eoVh-vtFR1Y

MORE

This is probably the best recent goth album I've heard.

It makes me feel that goth should try to synthesize the parts in broke into and drifted away from.

Done.

I think it's about having a dark sense of humor and playing the role of the bad rock star more than anything.

youtube.com/watch?v=UAdOZBnkx3s

>mfw her video got taken down

I love Cosey guys but Rose McDowell my favorite TG-related goth qt.

Bruh, that's Chelsea Wolfe

it literally isn't

When you think about it, Dracula was kind of a bad rock star himself.

wew who dat spunk monk? How is she TG related? I love the band, but never heard of her!

I was very disappointed when I listened to Strawberry Switchblade to see that it was mostly just pop.

Still, Beautiful End has its place in a goth playlist.

>bands with a common sound or aural aesthetic can't be categorized together

This is what you are saying.

>Rose McDowell

I cant read sorry

she's actually Current 93-related.

holy fuck you are all so clueless lmfao

youtube.com/watch?v=PPnABzKjj70

youtube.com/watch?v=DpoKPYb0KCM

She was primarily involved via David Tibet who himself was a slightly later edition to the whole scooby gang. She's sung with pretty much everyone in the scene.

It's still really well made pop, and her voice lends itself well to goth in my opinion. David had a tendency to get involved with people you'd never expect, like Tiny Tim.

genres=/=categories

Categories are the primordial analytical subdivisions of something.

Genres are just sets of artistic requirements and historical continuations.

Why are the first two albums by the cult considered Goth rock?

not exactly goth but goth friendly music

enjoy

youtube.com/watch?v=O_Vt43hHQw0
>Coil - Careful What You Wish For

>tfw I have a pretty deep voice but it sounds too nasal and dry to imitate Andrew Eldritch
How the fuck am I supposed to seduce trad goth girls?