Do you know why so many hate Art Angels? Because they didn't develop a taste for electropop. Hint: get into electropop...

Do you know why so many hate Art Angels? Because they didn't develop a taste for electropop. Hint: get into electropop, listen to the classics and THEN listen to Art Angels.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N0dzZ18Ji_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaking_the_Habitual
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_kniφe/shaking_the_habitual/
allmusic.com/album/shaking-the-habitual-mw0002470619
discogs.com/master/541362
youtube.com/watch?v=qGLvUejoRb4
youtube.com/watch?v=s7rM67NPhZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=-rVIx3VbJTM
grimes-claireboucher.tumblr.com/post/140857883740/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Hint: get into electropop, listen to the classics and THEN listen to Art Angels.

for fucks sake

No, grimes is shit for numales and tumblr faggots. Enjoy your shit taste you autist

But that's artpop

1/10

No, that's Lady Dada

No need to insult an user because you realized you have shit taste. Go outside, get laid, and stop shitposting, autist.

kinda i guess. people hear something that sort of resembles the oh so dreaded normie music they're supposed to distance themselves from and just shut off their critical faculties almost reflexively. well, "people" in general but who does that?

oh this guy does

You're right. The catchiness of this album scares them. Because it has beats, cool melodies and female vocals it doesn't meant it's top 40 shit. They should re-evaluate this album.

honestly haven't listened to this, and was completely unaware how much grimes was disliked in the music community until recently.

I had listened to one of her albums a few times and thought a couple of songs were catchy, but nothing stood out as being revolutionary or mind blowing, musically. sounded like mediocre female vocals over some fairly derivative dance-esque, indie inspired pop music that feels inoffensive, but just edgy enough to sound a bit different from other girl bands or groups.

what's with all the fucking fuss?

grimes is a fucking disgrace to synth pop and music in general get the fuck out

How come?

She refreshed this old ass genre. Stop hating what you don't know.

It's too compressed, it doesn't sound good.

the knife and fever ray make much better electropop

AA is just okay

>revolutionized
>the most basic of basic synth work
come on, you can do better. I've seen you guys try harder than that

>She refreshed this old ass genre.
The only thing that "refreshed this old ass genre" in the past 10 years was Shaking The Habitual. AA sounds like Soundcloud thread material.

That IS why all the fuss, because she's exactly "edgy enough" for a female artist to be without offending people. She is totally mediocre, incl. that album, the coolest thing about which is the artwork

yeah thought so.

guess she is like radiohead for girls.

or like how sigur ros is post-rock for girls.

i dont give a shit about haters this EP was genuinely a positive suprise, i thought it´d be shit coz its a meme, instead she delivered ear sex

>implying that's a bad thing

Excuse me, STH isn't even synthpop.

>AA sounds like Soundcloud thread material.
(You)

In meantime, AA got huge acclaim and quite a lot of popularity.

iamamiwhoami and Xeno & Oaklander make Grimes look like the rank amateur she is. Tried hard to get what you all see in her but that performance at Coachella sealed the deal for me.

She blows. Hard.

>STH isn't even synthpop.
lmao you're retarded
>In meantime, AA got huge acclaim and quite a lot of popularity.
Same shit can be said about so many shit artists in the pop industry, it is not even funny. She just have this quirky Cali-style feminist girl just like Drake has his emotional but strong rapper. Doesn't change the fact that their music is absolutely atrocious and incredibly overblown by mass media.

>the most basic of basic synth work
Is this bait? Did you actually listen to her music? Ffs, just Kill V Maim has over 50 drum tracks. This thing is pretty complex. You should listen to the instrumental version of Art Angels asap.

well you're right. it isn't a bad thing. however it falls under the same category as grimes in the sense that it is accessible and non threatening enough, but with just barely enough technical merit to have it lifted above mainstream radiorock, but ridiculed by the trve kvlt post-rock nerds.

>has over 50 drum tracks
go to /prod/, people there have a 100

There's no reason not to just listen to Kraftwerk instead

This.

Can you autists accept the fact that this album is good? We get it, you don't like it. We get it, you're all patricians who listen to Swans.

>Can you autists accept the fact that this album is good?
Can you autist accept that people have different opinions on what is good and stop making projections based off your insecurities? Thanks.

Kendrick isn't cute

Grimes makes cute music for cute people

>iamamiwhoami and Xeno & Oaklander make Grimes look like the rank amateur she is.
What are you talking about? iamamiwhoami and Xeno & Oaklander are both one-note synthpop acts. Literally all their songs sound similar.

X&O are also way sparser and monotone than Grimes. Proof:
youtube.com/watch?v=N0dzZ18Ji_Y

vs.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894

Really, which song is better and more diverse?

>Tried hard to get what you all see in her but that performance at Coachella sealed the deal for me.
That was an one off. Watch her Glastonbury performance instead. And stop being so biased against her. Give her music a fair chance.

>Kendrick
can't even read lol

The whole thing is too dissonant and crazy.

is that shit on youtube, i got no idea about whateverthefuck you meant with coachella

at least drop a tl;dr on why you 180´d grimes

>lmao you're retarded
You're the actual retard. Learn what synthpop means, dumbass. Hint: it's pop music made with synths. STH is anything but pop.

Where do you see the synthpop tag?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaking_the_Habitual
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_kniφe/shaking_the_habitual/
allmusic.com/album/shaking-the-habitual-mw0002470619
discogs.com/master/541362

>Same shit can be said about so many shit artists in the pop industry, it is not even funny. She just have this quirky Cali-style feminist girl just like Drake has his emotional but strong rapper. Doesn't change the fact that their music is absolutely atrocious and incredibly overblown by mass media.
>generalizing without any arguments
>having shit opinions and not admiting that because his pleb taste he couldn't get into her music

>Same shit can be said about so many shit artists in the pop industry,
Like what? Examples.

And they're all shit. It would be a great day when one /prod/ member will make a song half as good as the worst Grimes song.

Opinions can be wrong, yours happen to be one of them, stupid.

>Projecting
>I like using words I don't know!

Just fuck off, you embarrassing human shitstain.

If you think Grimes is better than iamamiwhoami you need to seek professional help. And soon.

Deluded waifu motherfuckers. I swear.

sleep tight, p u p p e r

What about Kraftwerk AND Grimes? Both artists have cool beats and cool melodies. However Kraftwerk lack the influences from other genres such as IDM, R&B, medieval, dreampop, classical, plus the technological advance in synths and samplers since their golden era. You know, music evolved since the 70s.

You should seek help soon. You're just a naive kid impressed by their cool videos. Their music is good but shallow. The Knife & Grimes did it better.

>Deluded waifu motherfuckers. I swear.
>iamamiwhoami fanboy

Kin and Bounty are masterpieces of synthpop.

Visions and Art Angels are 6/10 somewhat passable synthpop albums.

>Kraftwerk AND Grimes
I would freak out

>Kin and Bounty are masterpieces of synthpop.
>Visions and Art Angels are 6/10 somewhat passable synthpop albums.
Here are your (You)s. It's stupid how underrated are Grimes' albums on Sup Forums. WTF is going on with this board? Do y'all have shit taste or wrong ears? Are you unable to like her music?

I'm not into music as much as most on this board, but I have enjoyed Grimes's past albums.

Just listened to AA yesterday and I don't like it as much. It sounds more like any ole dancey popish song that I hear on the radio or some shit. It's not bad, still has her flavor, but I much prefer Visions and her earlier stuff.

Feels like there's too much shit going on. I mean, Weregild off of Halfaxa is one of my favorite songs by her, Caladan off of GP is good too. I listen to these songs and they're so much smoother. Maybe it's because they're simpler?

I'm a music pleb, I understand this, I just know what I enjoy and her new album is busy as hell. Nothing inherently wrong with that, just not to my taste.

Fair enough. AA sounds more like The Prodigy or Underworld than Cocteau Twins or ambient Aphex Twin. It's more aggressive than before. I love this album tbch.

>I like using words I don't know!
>human shitstain.

Not him but sorry that 1st song is waaaay better. Who is this group? Never heard of them.

>Not him but sorry that 1st song is waaaay better.
That monotone song? This is telling about Sup Forums's taste.

So what have we learned in this thread:

There are basically two deluded idiots shilling for Grimes while the rest of us realize that there is far superior synthpop out there.

Pretty much what I figured about Grimes on this board all along.

Stop replying, you're fueling the autistic waifufag fire. Electropop in general is a shitty, bland genre and arguing over it is stupid.

hating your hobby more than everyone doesnt make you superior/more dedicated fan it makes you a fucking asshole nobody wants to hang around with

>Has no counterargument
>Le jpg maymay

holy fuck lmao

>Electropop in general is a shitty, bland genre and arguing over it is stupid.
The most retarded thing I've read the whole day. gg, pleb. Stay stupid.

>while the rest of us realize that there is far superior synthpop out there.
>Argumentum ad populum
Are you stupid? Grimes is among the "far superior" synthpop artists. Anyone with a decent knowledge of this genre knows this. It seem you're just an edgy pleb.

It's bullshit to shot down a hugely established genre like that but there are is lot of really bad electropop out there

>there are is lot of really bad electropop out there
Yes indeed. But Grimes isn't from that category.

No. Anyone with a decent knowledge of the genre and who is over the age of 16 would realize she is mediocre at best.

So what have we learned in this thread: is a prick.

Why thanks. Thanks a lot.

Yeah I agree I like Grimes tho she's not my favorite I prefer Deastro and Ford & Lopatin

I think I'm qualified to talk about this because I'm eating synthpop at breakfast. To name some of my favorite artists:
Kraftwerk
Yellow Magic Orchestra
Propaganda
Heaven 17
OMD
The Human League
Pet Shop Boys
Depeche Mode
Mesh
Camouflage
Art of Noise
La Roux
Goldfrapp
Soft Cell
Crystal Castles
The Knife
iamamiwhoami
Gary Numan
Tubeway Army
Japan
Purity Ring
Chvrches
Talk Talk
Duran Duran
Eurythmics
Tears For Fears
Fever Ray
Cut Copy
Au Revoir Simone
John Maus
Sally Shapiro
Glass Candy
Polica
Susanne Sundfor
Robyn
Lykke Li
Chairlift

From this position I'm saying that Grimes is amazing and on par with anything from that list. Prove me wrong.

>I prefer Deastro and Ford & Lopatin
I don't think they're synthpop, though...

So you think her singing is anywhere on par with Alison Goldfrapp's, Jonna Lee's or Karin Dreijjer Anderson's.

Technically, not as strong or with a big range, but still amazing:
youtube.com/watch?v=qGLvUejoRb4
youtube.com/watch?v=s7rM67NPhZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=-rVIx3VbJTM

Her voice is pure and emotional and this is all that matters. However, her instrumentals are the selling point to me.

I don't know what is most sad in this thread.
The waifu grimes fan, who thinks she is immune to all criticism, and shit talks does who doesn't like it. Or the sad faggots who spends time, trying to convince other people that what they enjoy is objectively terrible, and that they don't know anything about music if like it.

Here is a tip, if you actually want people to agree with you, try not calling them autism or shitstains, for having a different opinion

But that is basically the Internet in a nutshell.
Tl;dr: I'm a huge faggot for spending a couple of minutes being a giant hypocrite:^)

Huh. That second one was actually fairly surprising.

People just underestimate her a lot. Except her fans, of course.

You're just a giant hypocrite like you said. You know exactly that this "music is subjective" mantra doesn't work on these boards. If everyone would agree with that, there wouldn't be any music discussion except recommendations. Because why argue about something that it's subjective and can't be objectively judged?

Trips of truth. sage

I like Art Agngels, but it's not at all hard to see why it alienated a lot of Grimes fans. It's so much more brash and in-your-face than Visions and her early stuff.

why are grimes fans so intolerant
accept that there's people that don't like grimes
stop forcing your taste in others

That may be a reason. Grimes is no more a faery singing lullabies, but a confident woman kicking ass.

It's not that simple. These fans were attacked very often and they retaliated. The problem is those that don't like/hate Grimes don't express their opinion in a polite manner, but in an aggressive shitposting-style manner. You don't have to be Nostadamus to see where that leads...

First of all, sorry for being such a giant meme shithead in the last post. I'm super tired.

But I agree with you on the fact that music inherently is objective, but I think the way we interpret it is subjective. I really enjoy the music discussions on here, but when they get out of hand and people start acting offended when they don't agree with someone just annoy me soooo fucking much. But, again, that is basically what the entire inertness is because of the anonymity. I think you should be allowed to enjoy whatever music you like, and no one should tell you what to enjoy. But I also think there is a difference between something being bad and not being enjoyable. I personally enjoy a great deal of records, I recognise as being terrible. And I think it is perfectly fine to discuss what is good music and what is bad music. But it irritates me so much when people tell them they don't know anything about music if they enjoy something they don't. Discussing the complexity of music both instrumentally and lyrically is super fun, but when the discussion dissolves into people throwing shit at each other, it just becomes a boasting of ones ego, instead of a genuine discussion of music.

Am I making any sense? Probably not..

Apparently some people have a problem with other people because the latter group enjoy music the former group hate. It's like "stop liking what I hate". Tbch I never understood this stupid behaviour.

>I think you should be allowed to enjoy whatever music you like, and no one should tell you what to enjoy.
I totally agree with this.

>But I also think there is a difference between something being bad and not being enjoyable.
It makes sense in a way. There is a lot of music that it can't be bad (I respect the artist) but I simply don't like it.

It's mediocre at best.

lmao are you gonna be alright m8?

All in all this is a great list.

>I think all of academia is deeply competitive, and one of the main reasons I dropped out of school and didn’t pursue research is because I was like, 'Fuck this competitive, back-stabby, judgy culture.’ It’s ALMOST AS BAD as music fandom.
grimes-claireboucher.tumblr.com/post/140857883740/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015

I don't give a shit about Grimes or the faggots that have bad enough taste to like her, my only gripe is how the same group of faggots finds it necessary to spam the fuck out of her and this shit album at all times

Its an opinion, it can't be wrong. People have different opinions, get over yourself.

ahh I see grime fags just go on rym and list top artist just to prove a point
this is some great trolling here

>I don't give a shit about Grimes
You already did.

I actually like all those artists and I have their discographies on my library. I didn't find them on RYM, but by exploring Allmusic and Last.fm (similar artists) + recommendations. Just because you hate the Grimes fans that doesn't mean you should make stupid assumptions ("go on rym and list top artist just to prove a point"). Get over yourself.

>lmao are you gonna be alright m8?
Yes. I actually did that great list. lmao.

I actually like all those artists and I have their discographies on my library. I didn't find them on RYM, but by exploring Allmusic and Last.fm (similar artists) + recommendations. Just because you hate the Grimes fans that doesn't mean you should make stupid assumptions ("go on rym and list top artist just to prove a point"). Get over yourself.

>I don't give a shit about Grimes
You already did.

>lmao are you gonna be alright m8?
Yes. I actually did that great list. lmao.

hey man keep up the great performance art
the lengths u guys go to prove how good grimes is better than TV

>hey man keep up the great performance art
Thanks.

>the lengths u guys go to prove how good grimes is better than TV
I'm 100% convinced she's great and one of a kind. Grimes deserved better treatment from this board. Hopefully some people that hate her may listen again to her music with an open mind.

And btw, I'm shaking my head when I see people saying that she's a mediocre or bad synthpop artist. As a big synthpop fan, this is pissing me off a little. Maybe it would be better to not care anymore.