Neutral Milk Hotel and Anne Frank

Why does every video or lyrics website make reference to Anne Frank in NMH's songs?

I don't really see any connections outside of the obvious "Holland, 1945" and possibly "Communist Daughter."

Can someone explain to me the significance of Anne Frank?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!yt9XgTrD!-jKXUcpvLAa4SS6T9kT3Ig
youtu.be/Rl4RP0Cf6wQ
youtu.be/0b00c25JQk8
youtu.be/iFVj4s3HMxk
youtu.be/DfpsMamMYao
youtu.be/o3F6HJk8xIw
clyp.it/iqu4qdms
nehpetstephen.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/plenitude-and-pantheism-in-in-aeroplane.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

its like

my names blurryface and i care what you think

It just seems to come out of nowhere, like in Two-Headed Boy suddenly they say "Jeff and Anne Frank are being disrobed by Nazis."

jeff mangum had a Holocaust fetish. Rumor is he dresses up as the Gestapo who is tasked with outing jews in hiding.

See it's stuff like this. Two-Headed Boy starts off as a song about a guy who can only look to the past or the future, not the present. Then suddenly "catching signals that sound in the dark" means Anne Frank is listening to a radio?

What makes this Anne Frank specifically? Honestly it just sounds like a regular girl.

It makes for a good story that he loves Anne Frank and was obsessed with her when writing the album. People love stuff like that

Because the whole album is about her, at least on some level? Not saying I really agree with that annotation though.

Hot

Makes sense.
I wouldn't say the whole album if it's at MOST two songs, that aren't as appreciated as all the others by most people.

Holland 1945, Communist Daughter, Two-Headed Boy, and Ghost are all either explicitly about or have references to Anne Frank.

However, I can understand and agree to an extent where you're coming from; ITAOTS is in a larger sense more about people in Jeff's life. The story of Anne Frank was more of a creative catalyst, and to Jeff resonated deeply with how he felt about the people he knew.

We're never going to know to what extent Anne Frank influenced him, though it's clear she was an immensely sensitive part of its creation; Jeff heavily obfuscates and stylizes the meaning of his lyrics, so there's a good chance the bulk of it is abstract references to Anne Frank that he interpreted as references to his own life and the people in it.

mega.nz/#F!yt9XgTrD!-jKXUcpvLAa4SS6T9kT3Ig

youtu.be/Rl4RP0Cf6wQ

youtu.be/0b00c25JQk8

youtu.be/iFVj4s3HMxk

youtu.be/DfpsMamMYao

youtu.be/o3F6HJk8xIw

clyp.it/iqu4qdms
Wew

Oh comely has a few lines that hint at anne frank's death

>And I know they buried her body with others / Her sister and mother and five hundred families
>Will she remember me fifty years later / I wished I could save her in some sort of time machine
>She was born in a bottle rocket, 1929
>In my dreams you're alive and you're crying / as your mouth moves in mine, soft and sweet / rings of flowers around your eyes and I love you / for the rest of your life when you're ready
Jeff basically gets more obsessed with Anne Frank as the album goes on

nice

What were the EXPLICIT references to Anne Frank in Two-Headed Boy? I'll believe the others but there's really nothing that explicitly relates to her.

>we will take off our clothes and they'll be placing fingers in the notches of your spine

This might be the only "evidence" but it could mean anything. It's not specific enough to mean "Anne Frank dying in the Holocaust." I'm convinced the majority of Anne Frank references are just a meme.
hot

>Can someone explain to me the significance of Anne Frank?
Nice bait, user

>And in the dark we will take off our clothes
>And they'll be plaaaaaaacing fingers through the notches in your spine
>And when all is breaking everything that you could keep inside
>Now your eyes ain't moving now, they just lay there in their climb

Holy shit how did I not get that before. Damn that song just got way darker.

It's not bait I don't see how she relates to the whole album

Recommended reading about the Anne Frank connection in the lyrics

nehpetstephen.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/plenitude-and-pantheism-in-in-aeroplane.html

The only reason Aeroplane over the Sea loses to On Avery Island is because of this shit anne frank meme

>>And I know they buried her body with others / Her sister and mother and five hundred families
I must be retarded cuz I never made that connection until now

The album relates to jeff mangum, who relates to ann frank. There you go, op the autist

I'm not surprised shadman made that.

Not the whole relates to Anne Frank. There's a part in the lyric booklet where Jeff Mangum wrote "this is a part I didn't write lyrics for", which tells me Jeff was probably pulling words out of his ass half the time when writing the album

>not explaining how/why jeff mangum relates to anne frank

"You see, the Queen of England relates to my mother because they are both women"

Jeff mangum makes refrences to her in practically all the songs. I'm pretty sure that's how/why jeff mangum relates to her. If you need more proof read the first line of holland, 1945
"The only girl I've ever loved
Was born with roses in her eyes"

Jeff read Anne Frank's Diary and basically fell in love with her

That's literally it

Jeff Mangum read the Diary of Anne Frank and it effected him so much that he made the album. This isn't a crazy theory, it is fact.

Two Headed Boy is a reference to Anne Frank having a crush on two separate boys while in hiding.

I already mentioned Holland 1945, can you point out other references?

I found out in Aeroplane Over the Sea there's a line called "Anna's ghost" so maybe that counts.

Friendly reminder that the Holocaust didn't happen

it happened but probably unintentionally. I don't think death camps were a thing, but certainly work camps existed.

Fuck'n wut m8?

I think on wikipedia it states he had reoccurring dreams about a jewish family and he based songs on that.

There are a few of the same themes on ferriswheel on fire. I think Anne just happened to fit the bill as a jewish girl he could fixate on. how many other famous ones can you name?

you know about Jeff reading her diary and being really emotionally overwhelmed by it, right?
also, not EVERY song is about anne frank. like the King of Carrot Flowers part 3 appears on Invent Yourself a Shortcake as Synthetic Flying Machine and that was recorded in 1991, 6 years before he would have read the diary.

>being this uneducated

Ferris Wheel on Fire is just a collection of Outtakes from On Avery Island and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, so obviously some songs would follow the same themes (specifically Oh Sister)

Guys everyday more and more I think Jeff mangum is beyond genius. like a demi god of sorts. I would do anything to go back in time and be in his circle of friends. Just imagine before they made On Avery Island and jeff hands you one of his solo tapes. I cry everyday that this wasn't my life

Jeff Mangum is the artist who i genuinely would consider ANY of his stuff to be among my favorites of all time

It's about sex, obviously. he's fingering her, feeling her guts.

I meant to say that Ferris Wheel seems to be before he changed the girl to Anne Frank. It was originally Rose Wallace Goldaleen or whatever

the themes are there but the more direct references to Anne came with ITAOTS

ur dum