Hello /Mu guitarist, what is the best way to get a good alternative/grunge sound on guitar...

Hello /Mu guitarist, what is the best way to get a good alternative/grunge sound on guitar? I already have a good Nirvana sound but what's a good AIC sound and such? My gear is as follows: Aria Les Paul Custom pro II, Fender Mustang III amp, and a Boss DS1 stomp box. Thanks!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tlqyz02I25I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

so start by turning the gain up all the way and getting a pedal to make it sound muddy then set your guitar on the ground and begin slamming the strings with a baseball bat covered in barbwire

Within my experiences with guitar sounds, I've made the best/what I prefer for my music through just fucking around trying things out and never over thinking it. Hell I even use a Metalzone distortion pedal sometimes and it sounds great. Just play around and don't focus on emulating something too much. Otherwise for distortion I also use a Haunt Fuzz pedal. Sounds great with my fender mustang.

Might not be what you want to hear, but that's what's worked for me.

Nah, it's fine any info is welcome

not too gainy if you want that AIC tone. you'll lose the attack. try using a mesa style (not familiar with fender mustangs) setting for that grunge sound. supplement with pedals.

for nirvana, marshall tube amp with a boss DS-1 pedal, old school if you can find one on ebay or something, and a electro harmonix small clone pedal. set both pedals to twelve o'clock and boom. nevermind.

alice in chains just a marshall tube with the distortion cranked up and a G&L guitar.
and of course jerry's signature wah pedal from dunlop.
boom. dirt.

i lied.

bogner amps is what you need for the alice tone
jerry used a marshall amp that was modified by bogner for facelift and dirt, now he just straight up uses bogner

I really enjoy the amp that I have now and don't have the budget for a new amp. Aren't there Bogner pedals out there I can buy?

Just turn on your amps built-in chorus effect and mess with the tuning knobs until you sound like Nevermind

I already have a good Nirvana tone. I am looking for more of an AIC sound.

jerry used an uberschall for a while, try that one out

youtube.com/watch?v=tlqyz02I25I

here you can get a good idea of what the alice sound is made of

Nirvana tone is literally a fuzzbox
AiC tone was studio trickery

*very low end pawn shop gear that can barely hold tune and a fuzzbox

bleach.

Is that an Eastwood Hi Flier? I am looking for a Hi flier and trying to find a cheap one.

looks like it, have no idea though i cant make out the headstock.

but try to get that G&L rampage tho

>get fender strat
>buy dimarzio super distortion
>put dimarzio super distortion in bridge
>get fender twin reverb/hot rod deville if you're on a budget
>buy some distortion and overdrive pedals.

>fender strat

>not a jaguar or a mustang

you dont know how to nirvana, do you?

Do heroin

Cobain played plenty of Stratocasters in addition to the short scales. He didn't ONLY record with the 24" Fenders. And for a lot of live shows, he played MIJ Stratocasters with a humbuckers in the bridge.

On some of the In Utero tracks, he played Albini's aluminum guitar and an Ibanez (I think?) Les Paul-style guitar.

Basically, the point being: for Nirvana tone, you just need something with a humbucker in the bridge, ideally with plenty of gain -- tho a PAF-style pickup will work if you have enough gain on tap.

As far as amps and pedals: tube amp + gain. Doesn't really matter what. For the recorded sound, just make sure you are multi-tracking with different settings to get that wide, fat stereo-sound.

Boss BD distortion. Also Big Muff and Superfuzz pedals.
You already have the right gear you goof. Just put on a record and try to get the same sound.

he played strats as well you fucking idiot

Are you trying to get their live sound or their recorded sound? Because there are significantly different approaches towards each. A lot of 90s bands have tons of material online that will list out the gear used on any particular album, just do a google search. For live concert sound, just look at a youtube performance and take notes on the gear they're running the rig through, or just do a google search for specifics.

In general though: play a guitar with a bridge humbucker -- you have this covered with your Les Paul, though depending on the pickup in that model you might want to upgrade to something like a JB or Super Distortion (search used, you can probably find one for like $60-80).

Play thicker, round-wound strings (i.e.. 10 gauge or bigger, though I would recommend 11 or 12s if you can manage the bends on them). If your strings are too light you won't get as thick of a tone and plus your tuning stability will suffer more.

EQ settings: don't scoop the mids. If anything, crank them a bit so you get enough presence and cut. Highs and Lows to taste.

Regarding gain: you want some fuzz, especially for distorted rhythm power chord playing, but you don't want to go overboard and lose all definition. I would recommend finding a setting on your amp that has it so if you *lightly* strum the strings, the sound comes out fairly clean; but then when you SLAM the strings, it gets a nicely compressed distorted/fuzzed-out tone.

Modulation and other effects: Cobain used mostly EHX chorus for various songs and also as a flavor for solos. The so-called 'grunge' bands generally avoided stuff popular with the 80s hair metal bands: wah, flanger, floyd rose whammy bars, delay, etc... if you ARE going to use this stuff, be tasteful with it and don't go overboard.

Playing: plenty of power chords, also learn how to play Sus2 and Sus4 chord shapes, single and double-stop bends on solos, chords with the high E and B strings ringing.

I'm able to get a pretty dirty sound with this setup
Fender modern player Jag
EHX Big Muff Pi
Cerberus Overdrive Pedal
Shitty lil fender starcaster pedal
Sonic Stomp
Shitty lil Roland combo bass amp

EQ set to fit whatever I'm playing (usually boosted mids and highs, decent level lows)
Able to achieve sounds from nirvana to quotsa. Pretty good shit. Wish I had a better amp tho :/