Just bought this album. What can I expect?

Just bought this album. What can I expect?
Is it actually good or did Sup Forums trick me?

It's pretty great I think. Don't expect super complex instrumentation, but do expect great song structure and fantastic lyrics. Most of the songs are about Anne Frank and holocaust stuff, so try to keep that in mind while listening to the lyrics.

thanks. just started listening to The King of Carrot Flowers part 1, is it supposed to be Anne Frank narrating?

It's genuinely shit. Boring generic box chords, awful singing, shitty instrumentals. One of the most overrated albums ever.

>generic chords

aww babbys first "im a musician now XD"

what about the lyrics? do they redeem the album. i'm a fan of Bob Dylan, so i dont mind simple chords and iffy singing. I liked The King of Carrot Flowers part 1 2 & 3 so far

it's pretty good, but i find it depends a lot on your mood at the time

>Boring generic box chords
lol, do you only listen to prog rock?

Don't think so, Jeff has said that each song has it's own story. There are Anne Frank references, though.

i see. just finished the title track, my favorite so far.

I actually did not know that.

it's my favorite album ever. ghost is probably my favorite because it's very energetic and jeff goes ham at the end

my favorite so far is Two Headed Boy, very emotive song. especially the last verse

Just wait till you get to Holland '45

two headed boy is definitely a close second for me :^) its super easy on acoustic and fun as heck to sing

two headed boy pt 2 is my favorite, prepare yourself

surprisingly accessible acoustic folk rock with some distortion here and there and the guy can't sing for shit, which apparently is endearing. just try to listen to Two Headed Boy when he hits those high notes, i get literal ear pain

You will shit bricks then when you heal Oh Comely and Two Headed Boy Pt. Two

This is weird to say since it's Sup Forums, but there aren't enough NMH threads. At least anymore. It's been years by I'm not done talking about this album.

>just try to listen to Two Headed Boy when he hits those high notes
You mean my favorite part?

He's a wonderful singer with great intonation, impressive breath control and power.

memes

holy shit, this song was a bop to listen to!

currently listening to Oh Comely and i cant tell if its romantic or creepy

memes aside, this album is fucking fantastic. "In my dreams, you're alive, and you're cryyyyying" gets me every time

>and the guy can't sing for shit
lol
also
>describing music as "accessible"
embryo please go

eargasm

It's good, not NMH's best though. My favorite track is Untitled

Hype City Soundtrack is best NMH imo

Update: currently on Ghost, really love it, but maybe my least favorite so far

>not Pigmy Barn

untitled is gonna knock your socks off in a sec

it sure is! i like it a lot more than the Fool, and i typically dont like instrumental interludes on folk albums, but this one is really good!

yeah it's leagues ahead of the fool for sure. sadly i think the fool may be my least fav track

currently on the final track, two headed boy part 2. i dont see the connection to the first part, but its a really good song so far. really loved way untitled lead directly into it.

I like these live threads of people listening to albums and giving their opinions. There should be more of these.

>Wine & Cigar
>it's clearly a brown liquor

wait

You're gonna be crying, it's my favorite track

>brought

just got to "IN MY DREAMS YOU'RE ALIVE AND YOU'RE CRYING"
i dont know why, but that really hit me

It looked more like red wine to me. I could change the filename though if it really bothers you that much user.

not him but it bothers me, please change it

I'm personally partial to "When we break, we'll wait for our miracle, God is a place you will wait for the rest of your life".

Honestly I don't know if there's ever been a better closing track ever. The only other closer that's at the level of Two-Headed Boy Pt. 2 is Jungleland imo

I have to be honest and say that I like Pree's Sisters Swallowing a Donkey's Eye better

I'm biased because I personally prefer ITAOTS, but that's a great closer too
How's it been OP?

There ya go bro

>bandicam
please change both this filename and your shitty choice in program

What screencapper would you recommend that's better?

ANNNND DONE!
well shit, this was a great album. i'll have to relisten to it once the initial WOW factor wears off but this may be one of my favorite albums ever.

>best song
Two Headed Boy part 2, hands down. There were actual tears in my eyes when i finished it.
Untitled is a close second.

>worst song
i liked all of them t b h, but if i had to pick one, i'd say either the Fool or Ghost (although i still really liked Ghost)

I can get the Anne Frank thing, but i have a lot of trouble seeing the overall connection. i noticed a more prominent theme of conjoined twins and/or disfigured bodies, which may very well be Jeff referring to Anne Frank in a way that i dont quite understand yet.

i'd give the album a 9.5-10/10 right now, but this //may// change upon further listens.
as of right now, its put me in a weird place emotionally. like happy and sad at the same time?
Do these guys have any other noteworthy albums?

I got memed by Sup Forums too.
One of the worst musical experiences of my life.

Funfact: I've always thought that the lady's head is a cut potato.

snipping tool

I felt the same way when I first listened. Jeff's other stuff is great, On Avery Island is more subtly beautiful and much noisier, more generic 90's music. And then the demos and live recordings if you get super obsessed.

you will feel tricked after the first listen, eventually you'll hear it for the third or fourth time and you'll feel enlightened as fuck. There's a reason this album gets posted so much.

if you want something more psychedelic and "wacky" sound collage try pic related. jeff had a hand in making it

very nice! thank you!

>Like happy and sad at the same time?
That's always a great feeling when an album leaves you feeling that way, right? That's pure emotional connection.

as the guy you were responding to, this, or at least just use the prntscrn key and paste it

>this may be one of my favorite albums ever
I envy people who can have that kind of reaction. I don't understand how they do though, every album I love was a grower. I never love an album right off the bat. I can recognize that the album is good and can enjoy it, but never really love it.

>Do these guys have any other noteworthy albums?
Their only other album is their first, On Avery Island and it's very good. Some like it better than ITAOTS. For me it's an 8-9 while ITAOTS is a 10. Really their whole discography is worth listening to, including EPs, live albums and Demos/bootlegs once you're really into them.

This is such a great great record. It's like that E6 brand of sound collage/experimentation taken to it's logical maximum.

And the deluxe edition is even better. (Just delete What a Wonderful World)

What's on the deluxe edition? I only have the regular version.

Also, more great E6 work.

who exactly is the personnel on this record? i know jeff and i always thought julian was on it too but i could be incorrect

Lots of people, mostly Olivia Tremor Control. I know Kevin Barnes had a part in it as well.

If you're into folk rock and don't mind some lo-fi aesthetic and some vocal pitch issues, you'll probably like it. The lyrics are genuinely great. It's almost like a postmodern homage to depression-era WPA recordings of Appalachian folk music.

IMHO if it were mixed and produced by someone else (say Bob Clearmountain and Sylvia Massey respectively) it might have been one of the all-time greats

its magic
not everyone likes magic

>Most of the songs are about Anne Frank and holocaust stuff, so try to keep that in mind while listening to the lyrics.

There's literally like two songs that are explicitly about Anne Frank though. This is such an urban myth/meme.

Also I'd consider the instrumentation one of the strongest parts of the album, it's what makes it sound so otherworldy and mystic. The musicians on the record are not technically skilled, but the instruments they're playing, how they're playing them, and how they're recorded are definitely a unique trait the album has.

>generic chords

t. someone who took a single semester of music theory in community college

jeff is actually a fantastic singer

Sup Forums hasn't talked much about nmh since their reunion tour, you missed it user. there used to be an elephant 6 general thread at least every other day :\

i'd also recommend relistening to it, like, alone. instead of reporting back to this thread every other song

*listens to faust and the beatles once*: the album

olivia tremor control did the pop/sound collage fusion far better to be honest

(You)

i have relistened to the album.
the conditions were ideal, t b h.
i'm alone, at night, a thunderstorm raging outside. it was a really sobering experience and only reaffirms my initial rating of 10/10
is it safe to assume that all shitposting about this album is just bait?

this, once you really get the feel of that last song you swell up

its Sup Forumscore so you have babbies who have to hate it.

The last track is the only song that ever made me cry, and I love the album overall, but this song in particular because all the lyrics remind me of very specific things, and it almost feels like it's eerily specific to me. But either way, this and the title track are two of my favourite songs ever.

The deluxe edition just has a lot of bonus tracks that, in my opinion, flow perfectly and add a lot to the album, with the exception of What a Beautiful World

The Gerbils are really good though

As far as I know Julian had a bigger hand in it than Jeff did, though Jeff was at least a little bit involved, but other people from the E6 collective had bigger hands in it.