Opinions on St. Vincent? No shitposting, pls

Opinions on St. Vincent? No shitposting, pls.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NE7R4nKBK8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4S_fBy_4g
youtube.com/watch?v=GmJqdISO9Bk
youtube.com/watch?v=ah8QWamNXWk
youtube.com/watch?v=atoXylgyBks
youtube.com/watch?v=DvV1eYRKRNY
youtube.com/watch?v=qsbiyvpel54
youtube.com/watch?v=whxF0KhBR84
youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5XUw4qHZo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"No shitposting" means "agree with me".

St. Vincent is mediocre.

I wonder does she use drugs

very shitty service

never again

I'd let her post her shit in my mouth if you know what I mean

>St. Vincent is mediocre.
Proof?

Actor, Strange Mercy, Love This Giant, self titled

Those are all 10/10 albums tho.

she looks like Ronaldinho

Great albums. I guess you didn't understand the request. I asked you to prove why do you think she's mediocre, not to post her great albums.

My favourite, still mad I've not had the chance to see her yet (UK)

Is she shilling Jenny Lewis' new band with that shirt or something?

Yes. Annie played a bit of drums at a recent-ish Jenny Lewis show.

Is Fred here?

haha

You must be one of those rare snobs that think Marry Me is her only worthwhile album. You should know that you're wrong.

I gave you irrefutable proof.

>irrefutable proof
What about the critical acclaim and the fact they're loved by millions of people? Or only your opinion is the right one?

Bon Jovi are critically acclaimed and loved by millions, too.

Seen her live at a festival just to see what all of you were on about. Most cringeworthy performance I have ever seen. Garbled infantile solos, hand puppetry and just poor songs. We left to go see a band with real talent. Even my girlfriend thought she sucked.

>Bon Jovi are critically acclaimed
Not. Only mildly acclaimed and even hated many times. Read their reviews.

>meme hair

Not that guy, but Marry Me is my fave, each album in order. I'm not saying she's getting progressively worse but...

>dorido chin ebiin xDDDD

Do you have pics of Annie with Erika Spring?

:~)

Proof? Just listen to this and please tell me that she isn't mediocre at best:
youtu.be/NE7R4nKBK8Y
And if she didn't look the way she did, do you still think that she would be praised?

>moving the goalposts
I asked about her music, not her skills at naming chords. She may not know the name of the chords but she's a great guitar player.

Great guitar player. Let me guess, you're not a musician, let alone a guitar player.

And how exactly knowing as little as possible about music you are creating and music theory in general a desirable trait? Adrian Belew for example, was a self taught guitar player than went on to play with Zappa and King James. He learned music theory while in Zappa's band and it helped him communicate his ideas better and grow as a musician.

King Crimson*

One of my fav musicians, I don't usually post in threads about her because they turn to shit whether it is because of haters or because of waifufags, which luckily are almost dead in this board nowadays, or at least they are not as prominent as they were years ago.
I really would like it if she said anything about the new album since she has been supposedly writing songs since last summer.

Maybe she will release it later this year.

That's what happens when you actually try discussing music here...

(You)

She's actually great.

Amazing beauty and an amazing musician

Her bone structure makes me uncomfortable.

>St. Vincent is mediocre.
Agreed. I wanted to like her. I do think she's pretty, and she associates with a lot of people I like. But ultimately, it's just mediocre, quirky indie rock.

I know what a lot of waifufags are going to say... "Oh yeah?! Well, she's better than Grimes!"
And I agree. She's way better than Grimes, Alice Glass, or LDR. But the thing is, those people are fucking terrible. St. Vincent isn't terrible, she's just really unexceptional and underwhelming, so by comparison she's a lot better. But how did we get to the point where the bar is this low? There are female artists out there who are way better than any of these people, but it seems like at least on Sup Forums they don't even have a seat at the table.

Actually Grimes is better than St. Vincent.

>There are female artists out there who are way better than any of these people, but it seems like at least on Sup Forums they don't even have a seat at the table.
If all these newer generation female artists (St. Vincent, Grimes, Alice Glass, or LDR) are mediocre/terrible to you, name some exceptional ones.

>inb4 Joanna Newsom
(She's terrible and overrated)

Grimes is way worse than St. Vincent. Oblivion was a nice song, but most of Visions was filler, and Art Angels is just a full blown bland pop album

See what you just did with Joanna Newsom? It shows that you're just as bad as anyone here - you're so butthurt that I insulted your waifu that you had to accuse me of liking someone you don't like, to weaken my opinion in your mind. But no, I'm not a Joanna Newsom fan.

My favorite new female artist is probably Valerie June. Soap&Skin has done some great stuff. I also like Zola Jesus' old stuff, though I'm not big on her newer releases. Grouper has also done some great stuff. Videos below:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4S_fBy_4g
youtube.com/watch?v=GmJqdISO9Bk
youtube.com/watch?v=ah8QWamNXWk
youtube.com/watch?v=atoXylgyBks
youtube.com/watch?v=DvV1eYRKRNY

>>inb4 Joanna Newsom
>(She's terrible and overrated)
breeeh, St. Vincent is one of my favorites but saying Joanna is terrible and overrated is almost a sacrilege.

The difference with most if not all of those you have quoted is that St. Vincent has actually studied music theory, she composed everything and played almost every instrument in Marry Me, she also coproduced it. The same with Actor were she also did all the string arrangements, played most of it, and iirc she also coproduced it.
I understand that her art pop sound might not be anything exceptional, although I think that there her composition and mixture of melodies and distortion make it easy to tell her apart from others, it's unique in a way. She has released "not pop" music too and she did a good job on that releasing Grot/Krokodil which are probably my favorite songs from her.
She doesnt get to work with the people she has worked because she is just unexceptional and underwhelming, she played in Glenn Branca's orchestra, she had a noise band, appears in a Swans album and many other collabs, but the most obvious is Byrne where he himself said that she did much better than he could in the album.
There might be people like Newsom or Holter that are still above her but I think she's overall better than many other females I enjoy listening to like Hval, Wolfe, Herndon, Halo, Welch and many others, I don't know maybe it's just not your cup of tea but I think she's not that bad as you say.

>Grimes is way worse than St. Vincent.
No. They're about the same. You're comparing apples (synthpop) with oranges (indie rock) anyway.

>Oblivion was a nice song, but most of Visions was filler, and Art Angels is just a full blown bland pop album
Just how much of pleb could you be? To dismiss those great albums like a massive pleb, s m h.

Sorry to burst you fantasy bubble, but none of the artists posted by you are better than Grimes, St. Vincent, Alice Glass and even LDR. They make absolutely ordinary music, that's why no one talks about them. Only Zola Jesus is interesting. Grouper could put anyone to sleep. EMA is just a mediocre feminist artist with no good songs. Soap & Skin is basically whispering. Valerie June is super ordinary: that jazzy singing with boring instrumentals has been done to death. Even Amy Winehouse was better than her.

I'm not surprised that you hate Grimes, Alice Glass, St. Vincent, LDR: they're simply too different to the mediocre stuff you're listening to.

Seriously compare that with these songs:
youtube.com/watch?v=qsbiyvpel54
youtube.com/watch?v=whxF0KhBR84

She may have a great deal of musical ability, but it's what she does with all that ability and talent that I find underwhelming. Admittedly, what I'm familiar with is her major studio releases, but those hold very little appeal for me. I'm not big on Branca, but I do like a lot of the music that comes from that musical realm (Rhys Chatham, Boredoms, Arto Lindsay), so I'll have to look into her noise work.

And speaking of KEXP sessions, watch this: youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5XUw4qHZo

Now, this is a real talent.

>breeeh, St. Vincent is one of my favorites but saying Joanna is terrible and overrated is almost a sacrilege.
Sorry, I just can't stand her voice. Her music may be great, but it has her vocals...

WOW you're a whiny child. Zola Jesus is the one musician I posted that I imagined I'd get called out on, because of those five she's released a lot of the weaker material. If you think Grimes, Glass, or LDR can even compare to Soap&Skin, then you clearly don't care much about music in general.

>I'll have to look into her noise work.
It isn't public tho for some fucking reason, the band was called The Skullfuckers, she said they did a few gigs and so but she doesn't really have any recordings of any of their shows.

What i meant by that post is that I think that people should differentiate musical ability and the "patricianness" of the music, she decided to release art pop music but she is able of doing almost anything else, she proved in Marry me that she can mix art pop with almost any genre even bossa nova or a waltz.
If she decided to do ambient or noise again I'm sure she could do it well. She would still suck if she tried to do joanna newsom like music, and i think that joanna would suck if she tried to do st vincent like music, that doesnt mean joanna is shit or that annie is shit, i dont' know user, it's just different music with different pretensions

Her voice is hard at first but I got used to it

>Zola Jesus is the one musician I posted that I imagined I'd get called out on, because of those five she's released a lot of the weaker material.
Zola Jesus is by far the best one from that list. She's really talented. I bet by weaker material you meant her poppier album Taiga. Of course, that's a wrong opinion.

>If you think Grimes, Glass, or LDR can even compare to Soap&Skin, then you clearly don't care much about music in general.
lmao. Soap&Skin is very, very boring. You don't like music, you just like their voices. It's no wonder all those artists you posted make music based a lot on vocals.

She's great

I like her music but her "art"/pretentiousness on stage is painful.
Live version of "Your Lips Are Red" with an outro solo was terrific. That was in 2014, dunno about nowadays.

>You don't like music, you just like their voices. It's no wonder all those artists you posted make music based a lot on vocals.
You're projecting so fucking hard. That's literally my criticism of you - there's NOTHING to LDR. She doesn't even make music, she just sings, and she's even fucking bad at that. Crystal Castles is awful, and Grimes makes tacky synth music with pop vocals over it. Valerie June is a great musician who brings in country, soul, gospel, and blues, Soap&Skin has done a lot of fantastic musical compositions, Grouper is borderline-ambient, EMA is all about the music. You're so transparent and vacuous it's painful.

She was a fantastic independent musician, very sweet and talented. Quirky songwriting in the best sense.

It was only when she started to ask people to take her seriously as an independent musician that she lost credibility. She queefed out that album with David Byrne and became an art-pop train crash. Completed her transition from Annie to St. Vincent. Her shows these days are trash.

I don't think she's cute, her music is bread