Can someone explain to me why the hell do the majority generations past ww2 seem to ignore most of western art music?

Can someone explain to me why the hell do the majority generations past ww2 seem to ignore most of western art music?

I mean it's completely mind boggling how it seems like all the sudden its almost forgotten by most people. Finding millennials who listen to is rare and even so they tend to be casuals, the majority who do is still occupied by the boomers and gen x, but even so its a low % of those populations.

It can't just be "muh elitism" , also the "it's old" argument doesn't make sense since the music is basically timeless. The quality of the compositions are rarely matched in modern music, and it doesn't take someone with the ability to analyse music to hear that.
Also the whole "its not catchy" argument doesn't have grounds as well since the majority of western art music has very "catchy" phrases. Furthermore when this music was being written, the majority who listened to it were the "average" person.

I enjoy all kinds of music from trap to obviously art music but it infuriates me/ saddens me most people don't even know of what they're missing when it comes to western art music.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KwtAMGXyTI4
youtube.com/watch?v=uRz3AQx21y8
youtube.com/watch?v=9gG0j-35Mgk
youtube.com/watch?v=otB1TQo0OGU
youtube.com/watch?v=Fs_AgCTovik
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They have low atention span

An entire "world", the culture that created this music was destroyed during world war 2, literally but also figuratively in that it's spirit was broken.

I doubt the majoriy of people have ever paid much attention to art music. The masses centuries ago would have listened to their traditional folk music, well away from the orchestras of the elite.

this seems like a favorite among people but then what would explain the fact that film has gotten more complex over time and its very popular among all generations. Even so I find that more people enjoy film soundtracks than older art music when it is literally the same type of thing.

Never thought about it this way, seems to hold some ground.

classical music was always niche music listened to by the rich and the aristocrats

for practically all the history of civilization, folk was the standard music with a couple acoustic instrument like that retarded medieval guitar

If you where particular religious you would attend to religious choirs which were crazy organized but that was mainly a eastern european thing to do.

The cities probably had their own genres of music but they has been lost to time, unfortunately, as nobody ever though they were of any value.

The first popular genre to be properly recorded by historian was blues. Jazz doesn't count because it stems from military brass tradition, which stems from classical music.

This isn't really true. The middle class become able to support music during the classicist period.

>Jazz stems from military brass tradition
I'm not gonna say you're wrong about military brass being an influence on Jazz, but saying that it directly stems from that is pretty dumb.

Middle class continue to support classical music to this day, mostly through attending concerts

>boohoo why arent people listening to muh old white men music anymore :((
because its dying along with its target audience, thank god

Shouldn't you be on tumblr, you underage piece of shit?

im sure you have it so hard because your white

I find it severely amusing when people say dumb shit like this, I bet you think you're not being "racist".

To think that you shouldn't enjoy a piece of art just because of the apparent arrangement of phenotypes and culture it came from is incredibly thoughtless.

People like you do nothing but create unnecessary racial and cultural tension.

>old white men
>implying the greatest composer like Mozart and Beethoven weren't black
Check your privileged shitlord

the middle class back then was the merchant and artisan class and only existed in cities. Remember that until the industrial revolution the majority of humanity just farmed

isn't the origin myth of jazz that some of the brass parades musicians were getting tired of playing the same marching songs over and over again so they began to improvise

if you're not white and you live in the developed world you have easier than 90% of the world you dipshit. You do realize that there are people who are of any race who live in undeveloped countries who would love to have your "privilege" as a non-white person.

its white music made by old white men for old white men
> I bet you think you're not being "racist".
oh look the white guy is being oppressed lmao

go back to Sup Forums

>what is minimalism
>what is postwar experimental music
>what is postmodern music
Traditional art music is dead and it's new incarnation is in pop forms.
The new "art music" is experimental electronic. The people who would have become composers in the past are now laptop producers

You are the one white washing history here chump.

It's boring and you're a fag

its boring and isn't catchy

even before ww2 folk music and the likes were more popular

>if you're not white and you live in the developed world you have easier than 90% of the world you dipshit.
this is what Sup Forumstards actually believe
im sure all the black people who get shot by officers for no reason would like to have a word with you

Electronic music died when Kosmiche Music died, back to /bleep/ with you friend

Delete this post before it's too late.

>before it's too late.
you mean when trump wins the election? (which wont happen btw, thank god)

So boring

I can't get past how boring it is

I just find it really boring

how come its still alive and well 500 years on then?

Its not dying, if anything there's more young people (under 25) involved than ever these days. Youth orchestras and young composers all over the place.

classical is encompass some of the most complex, entertaining and catchy music of all time though, user. You're probably just in the mindset that only artists fantano likes are good.

If you expect the average to appreciate what's made by and for the above average, you'll be frustrated no matter the context. Sophistication is definitionally rare.

>Boring
>Probably listens to bands of untrained people repeating the same riff over and over, all in 4/4 and without dynamic variation

boringness is subjective

*tips hat*

>how come its still alive and well 500 years on then?
its alive and well in your white people circlejerks, no one gives a shit about it anywhere else

>Youth orchestras and young composers all over the place.
white people raise white people to do white people things

im sure your music theory skills get you laid frequently

>he thinks electronic music is dead
I didn't think it was possible to be so out of touch.
Go take your meds grandpa

I can assure you haven't listened to a lof art music then

Most older "classical" music is far more entertaining than most modern music, only a few modern genre's have the depth and effort into them.

why would I listen to a lot of something that has, from my experience, not appealed to me? Doesn't make sense

>its alive and well in your white people circlejerks, no one gives a shit about it anywhere else
Just as it has always been. 500 years ago it existed pretty much entirely in the church. Since then its been mostly a rich persons game.

>white
many other ethnicities are also involved. Asians seem to be prevalent, but every ethnicity is represented in the classical world.

> music theory skills get you laid frequently
Music theory is just knowledge. Depending on the girl many respect knowledge. My music has got me laid though but more the popular/singer songwriter stuff than the classical. One girl did hit on me after having a piece played at a classical concert though. Classical girls love people with classical knowledge, the same way popular music girls love people who know every Taylor swift or kanye song, and alt girls love when you know underground metal bands (or even entry level ones). Depends what kind of girls you want to fuck. Also I would say charisma is far more important than knowledge for getting laid. You dont really need to know shit if you have good charisma.

>muh generic drum loop
stop trying to look "hip" grandpa

>all electronic music has generic drum loops
Stop embarrassing yourself

why do you listen to anything new at all then????

your argument is literally saying "why should I listened to something I haven't before"

There is literally no reason. Ignorance is bliss as they say. Continue to spout about how classical is "boring" without having the faintest idea of what classical actually is beyond Pachelbel's cannon in D (which I doubt you even know by name)

>/bleep/cuck trying to tell me that his UK shithole doesn't produce the shittiest electronic music ever
i bet you also think OPN and James Ferraro are genius don't you grandpa

I'm not even talking about UK electronic music you inbred
Experimental electronic is objectively the new classical music

>Experimental electronic is objectively the new classical music
such as???

no, if I encounter something that sounds appealing then I listen to more of that, like any normal person

Classical composers pioneered electronic music in the late 50s though.

Show me one "Experimental Electronic" piece that rivals this in complexity and construction:
youtube.com/watch?v=KwtAMGXyTI4

Back in the day you had to actually know your shit in order to get into an audio workshop and make electronic music. Nowadays teenagers can shit out crap on pirated versions of FL Studio with 0 knowledge.

Anyway my point is that people have had 50 years to make great electronic music and few have even come close to what Stockhausen or Babbit were doing in the late 50s and early 60s

if my opinion is based on an admittedly small sample size then you have no reason to be offended, since there's (in your opinion) no merit to what I'm saying

how do you think I got into western art music? The same way anyone else does, I wasn't forced into it by my parents.

I only care if others listen to it because you really don't know what you're missing.

some of the music can give such cathartic experiences that could change someone's life really.

I mean I'm not saying modern music doesn't do the same thing but I don't understand the attitude you have.

Really think of any complex ambient/drone like say Tim Hecker
His music has all the hallmarks of classical. It lacks the pop structure, it builds and falls and develops naturally, and it's abstract, it's not about anything and not made for any purpose other than artistic.
The talent that would have gone into classical composition now knows that computers give you all the benefits of classical composition (fine control over details and allowing complexity) without the drawbacks

ITT: people who think talented musicians make good music

Because complexity != quality you dumb fuck. Other electronic music has more variety of rhythm and timbre than the piece you posted

I'm not offended. I understand you're in no position to judge what classical music is. Just dont pretend that you are until you've actually explored it a bit.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about not wanting to listen to something that, from my experience, I haven't enjoyed. Stop being triggered by people not caring about/listening to the same stuff you listen to. You seem to think your tastes have some kind of objective superiority but it's not that unthinkable to imagine that people like different things

What's wrong with making a general statement about what I've heard already?

>it's not about anything and not made for any purpose other than artistic.
>(fine control over details and allowing complexity)
If your work is all craft and no passion, it's shit, same for the inverse.

>Other electronic music has more variety of rhythm and timbre than the piece you posted
i somehow doubt it, considering Stockhausen's rhythm and timbre are all permutated by serialism - they never repeat.

Other contemporary classical composers have done very interesting things with electronic music and effects, Ferneyhough in the 70s, Grisey and Murail in the 80s and 90s, and the various "live electronics" classical crowd currently en vogue

That general statement is incorrect. You need a good sample size to get accurate results.

no, thats not it.

the reason this bothers me is because older art music has basically everything modern music except its all acoustic.

It seems like this specific subset of genres is consciously ignored by most people.
}
The only section where this falters is that older classical music does not have as much songs as modern music. And this is mainly because Beethoven was the one invented the concept of song albums with his song cycles.

Dude i listen to literally everything, from fucking trap to tibetan music.
Once again your perception is battered with the concept of elitism.

"classical" music isn't a genre, its a generalization of older art music. There are so many genre's within "classical" music just like modern music.

how is it incorrect to make a general claim about my experiences? It's just my opinion based on what I've heard. It differs from your opinion based on what you've heard. no one is correct or incorrect

Because music before 1945 wasn't being made in album form. The exception is Dust Bowl Ballads.

There weren't these packaged, sole expressions of the artist for people to listen to. A lot of music on tape were traditional standards, or music written by others for a singer/performer. And they weren't exactly deep expressions. We want insight into the emotions THAT performer or band is feeling.

so your bothered that the music you like doesn't get the attention it "deserves"?

ROCKISTS LEAVE MY FUCKING BOARD, GOD FUCKING DAMN
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*you're

Not that user but you would be mad to if you tried to talk with someone about the music you like and all they can talk to you about is the stereotypes that are made around its audience and nothing else.

see

too*

so you don't want folk, country, blues or anything to do with a guitar?

You should've said pre-1900 then instead of preWW2

that's what I've come to expect from people. You're not doing other people a favor by trying to enrich their lives with music they don't want to listen to. No one I know irl likes what I listen to and I accept that because why torture them with what they don't want?

not user you're replying to but because this shows a conscious decision of ignorance.

wrong

a lot of classical music was made in "albums".
This is why you find things labeled as Opus. no 1, no. 2 , no. 3 which were basically albums of music.

Another thing as I mentioned Beethoven basically invented the song album with his Song cycles, which were a bunch of songs in succession.

No, it is that it is willfully ignored by someone like yourself when once again classical music is a generalization. You're acting as if I'm asking why more people don't enjoy piano sonatas which would be something like a genre of rock, or mazurkas which is another genre in itself.

Mainly because It would actually make modern music far better, especially "popular music".

I'm not asking people why they don't enjoy tibetan throat singing, I know why but this doesn't apply to "classical" music as it isn't specific to just one genre.

OP, while I appreciate classical and jazz, they don't stick with me when I listen to them because they don't have any relatable emotional ground for me to latch onto like my favourite rock music does.

While I can listen to Adagio for strings and thoroughly enjoy the experience, there is not ground within the song for me to relate my current life with as directly as Anthony Green's poeticism can.

For the same reason, instrumental rock bands are largely ruled out of my regular listening, with albeit a few exceptions.

So you've never recommended a piece of music to your friends? People do this all the time, the intention behind it isn't to "enrich their lives" it's just to maybe get them into another kind of music they might like.

in a world so full of information, one has to be selective about what they let into their life. what you call willful ignorance is more of just a filter for things that I don't care about

>66876671
and I can gladly tell you that this is simply because you haven't listened to many or enough of it.

older "classical" music isn't a genre, its a generalization of older acoustic music. There is so many genres within it that you could enjoy, or relate to.

Maybe not to the same extent as rock music since lyricism is different but I do understand what you mean.

b8

Rockism isn't just everything to do with folk, country, blues or anything to do with a guitar there are a lot of different concepts around it, one being that people think albums are better than all other forms of distributing music.

I recommend things to people who I think will like those things. I don't suggest something I don't think they'll like. My recommendations are based on what I know they listen to. Anyone who actually wants to explore new music doesn't need my help

I don't find music with pianos or violins or violas interesting. What's some art music that I might like

>all this damage control

Funny how people on here bitch about those not liking memerap or rock, calling them plebs for writing of 'entire genres' dismiss the entirety of art music.

I guess ''eclectic taste'' on Sup Forums is lots of made up rock sub, sub, subgenres and 3 jazz albums.

>not liking pianos and violins
Bach's cello suites

here

I'm all ears to any examples you want to throw out. I don't have any reasons to search out classical music I've never heard, perhaps you could inspire me with some favourites.

your statement is incorrect because you dont know what you're talking about. Its pretty simple really. If you know about a subject, you can make accurate judgement about it.

I'm not saying your conduct is incorrect, you can do whatever you like, stay ignorant by all means. I'm just saying your statement that "classical is boring" is incorrect. Trying going to a performance of Le Sacre du Printemps and see how bored you are. The percussion will probably make your eardrums bleed.

>Anyone who actually wants to explore new music doesn't need my help
They could, you said you wouldn't recommend something to someone if it wasn't based on what they already listened to, I'm not really seeing the problem with all this.

if you like guitars

there is so much.

Just an example of compilation of many pieces.

youtube.com/watch?v=uRz3AQx21y8

Have a saxophone concerto with a full drumkit thrown in
youtube.com/watch?v=9gG0j-35Mgk

i don't personally relate to music made 200 years ago

Alright so I ANSWERED YOUR FUCKING QUESTION!

That answer is not a reflection on what I personally feel about music! It's how a lot of people on this board think.

You're acting as if the composers didn't experience similar to you. I mean there is so much that still resonates to today.

'I simply say you haven't listened to enough of it.

what's wrong with not liking something

My bad I'm not OP, also don't use that tone with me dickhead.

nothing in this thread has convinced me to listen to more of it tho t b h f a m

its not about disliking something. ]

See "classical" music has hundreds of genres, the main difference is that it is all acoustic.

I'm basically asking why this music is ignored, I dislike a lot of genre's within older "classical" music.

why not? its timeless. Base human emotions dont change.

I can still relate to music made 500 years ago, it has a purity and beauty that you just dont find these days:
youtube.com/watch?v=otB1TQo0OGU
youtube.com/watch?v=Fs_AgCTovik
Uplifting and glorious music

from the first couple minutes of these they didn't really appeal to me. Kind of dull. I'm sure a bunch of people would like these though. These just don't mean anything to me

I ignore it because it's boring to me

>that you just don't find these days
lol is this turning into a le wrong generation thing

>all acoustic

I really don't understand this at all.

It's like you've actively listened to anything at all.

If you say a musical tradition that has existed for centuries that encompass artists from Perotin to Mozart to Chopin to Stockhausen bores you then it isn't a stretch to think you haven't listened to much.

acoustic isn't interesting to me. I listen to absolutely no acoustic music, because it sounds plain and drab to me. Maybe that's why I ignore it