Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3zAZeyCIqO4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the best affordable aluminum neck guitar

I want to b like based Steve :^)

save up for an egc

the aluminum kramers are trash and aren't worth the trouble

My Journey To The Stars can help a lot too.
youtube.com/watch?v=3zAZeyCIqO4

Don't own any. Played a handful of them though. Great guitars. I haven't tried any of their newer import models though, only the custom shop stuff.

Probably something like an older Kramer, they're nothing special though.

o also he wasn't playing aluminum guitars until shellac, maybe towards the end of rapeman at the earliest

Reposting for visibility.
Narrowed it down to a Bassbreaker 1/45, a Bassbreaker 18/30 a VoxAC30, or a VOX AC15, both in 2x12. Help me decide im not good at making big choices.
Have to be able to play in my living room.

That's fair
I used a Squier Bronco that was my first bass for a while that's beat up but looks like a crushed M&M since it's a poly finish, the maple neck is nice and worn so that's a plus but the pickguard is bloody from a house party when I used real punk theatrics and fell around the cement patio like Iggy Pop and cut up my knuckles and boy, Ohio college kids are sure easy to impress.
Like Said I'm not gunna Devin myself I'll still post pics and you'll probably find me, we're just one of 100 shitty pop punk bands from suburban Illinois so it's nothing special, plus my bandmates know how I really feel about it all anyways. I just don't wanna take a risk about it before a tour I'll post them after.
This may be the one, I'm digging the rose graphic. For $110 it's a steal, look for me in the papers
I like this one as well, I should pick up the Mikey Way from My Chemical Romance signature and refinish it to look like a sparkly blue bowling ball.

really fun to randomly circle beats to play and then try to nail the rhythm it creates. it can be really hard sometimes

an ac30 would be absurdly loud for home use.

jeez Steve's tone is such a mystery to me

Any ideas on how to get something similar?
Closest I can get is cranking the tone on my DS1 but it doesn't have the clarity of his tone

FUCK THIS WAS PERFECT

>straight eighths
>hard

nigga are you 5

aliminum has little baring on the actual tone, it's more to do with sustain. his tone in big black was just loud and trebly, the awful tinny/plasticy quality on the records was just because he was bad at engineering and mixing back then

no, you circle out the beats to be played

Haw-haw
Check the new items page when you can. They get new stuff in pretty often.

it's still just straight eighths, you're just cutting some out

still piss easy

are you mentally defective? just double the time then, or quadruple it

Sounds like a P Bass tone fully up with fingers, lots of treble/bass and a mid drop. Not sure what kind of amp, though.

Any of you guys has a jackson rhoads guitar? Im trying to build one but i need some detailed pics

"rent" one from guitar center

I wish i could, there are no guitar centers in my country or i would just buy the guitar haha thanks anyway

>believing rondomusic shills

kys fampai

For the Big Black/Rapeman stuff he played homemade guitars. He used Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound for the tele and I have no idea what's in the strat.

But I'm almost certain the sharp-thin tinny jangle sound he gets comes from installing the neck pickup closer to the neck, which allows it to pickup on the sound of the strings rather than their tone. I've gotten pretty much the same tone with an old shitty Ibanez Gio humbucker on my homemade tele.

Okay, this is a serious question: what is the appeal of a V-shaped guitar? It's ugly as fuck, looks incredibly uncomfortable, and is ugly as fuck.

What exactly is the advantage of owning one over a normal guitar?

so you can impress 4th graders

V shaped guitars are perfectly balanced standing up and offer supreme ergonomics and fretboard access. Many have considered the offbeat shape intriguing over the years. You must admit it grabs your attention...

But in case you missed it, the shory answer to your question is "utility".

Okay, first this is subjective, i find most guitars ugly and v´s are the only ones i like apart from strats so i guess you will always find them ugly. The main reason is that it will force me to play in classical position which will help me a lot with my tendonitis. I guess there are no other advantage that i can think of? Oh also they are easier to build than a strat or an sg

Yeah also this, fretboard acces is great, and if you play live it makes you stand from the rest

Well you have a medical reason, and that's a good one. And they would be easier to build.

But I just don't understand. Is it the asymmetry or the weight balance, or the protrusions that make it attractive? Honestly I want to know your perspective.

I think they look sweet. Less neat looking is the Rhodes one though. I'd probably never own one because of the 'uncomfortable' thing you mentioned

>>ergonomics

Super comfortable to play if you play in the classical position. Never cared for the Rhodes V tho.

They have the greatest higher fret access. The stock pickups are usually higher output to make up for less wood. V's are pretty cool if you can pull the look off.

nobody here has enough swag to pull of a V

I think asymmetrical guitars are always better looking, the sg looks weird to me for example. Also the rhoads was built thinking in a short guy so it kinda helps, some guitars just look weird on me.
What body shape do you like user?
What makes the rhoads less neat?

>swag
kys

I think its also cool how modern v's are fatter, gives them a bit of a gibson kinda sound

what's the best device to DI your guitar into your computer

Lately i just plug it with a rocksmith cable

focusrite scarlet 2i2

ull need an harmonic percolator too.

>higher output to make up for less wood

>bigsby on a V

absolute madman

i pulled ur mums V.

>OP pic

anyone here owns a T40? i go through phases where i really want one, then i forget. then i go back to the craving.

I hear the Karma Suture by Catalinbread is a clone of this but all of the demos just sound like a normal fuzz

Like can it get abrasive and retain pick attack?

>I hear the Karma Suture by Catalinbread is a clone of this but all of the demos just sound like a normal fuzz

its an unnecesarily "upgraded" clone. it has 4 knobs ffs. and yes, sounds like a generic fuzzbox.

best percolators ive heard are the chuck colins ones and diy ones. do one or get a friend to build and tinker until it gets into albini territory, no mass produced fuzzbox will give you that.

>browsing around Reverb because I'm bored and can't sleep
>browsing the electric guitar section, particularly gibsons
>spot a bunch at reasonable
>all of them has "headstock snapped but has been repaired and does not affect anything at all"

>The stock pickups are usually higher output to make up for less wood.

Trying to make a dick joke or just denying woods influence on tone?

Hi guys, I play bass and Im looking to buy a distortion pedal. I like doom metal, bands like sleep, electric wizard, pallbearer. Can someone recommend me a good pedal?

ALL IS LOST

you are aware steve albini played guitarin big black right

...just explain yourself. In what way is less wood compensated for by higher output pickups? Be specific.

Less wood = less tone
More output = more tone

I've been playing for like 7 years and my fucking neck hurts like shit

How do you stop slouching over your guitar/bass? I don't even really look at the fretboard but I get really lazy after hours of playing.

back again, playing some local wine festival this Saturday.

Do you guys leave your guitars out in the open using stands or do you guys put them back in their cases after playing?

I stand up with the guitar strapped on me unless I'm playing classical, in which case I sit in the classical position

cases, unless it's acoustic. I play sitting down with electric when I'm not playing live. Because why?

Nice. Old Peavey is a tough motherfuckin' shit.

Whats your rig? And how much are you willing to drop on a pedal?

Bass big muff

the amp is early 70's (the first deuce lol.) the guitar is early 80's.

Stand up

really basic. I have a Fender rumble 15, which is just a bedroom amp. I don't want to spend too much on a pedal, probably around $100.

Thank you

Get a nice comfortable armless chair and lean back

You can get a decent bass overdrive/distortion for around that price. I play a Fulltone OCD pedal through an Orange 100watt Crush, and it gives a pretty sludgy sound with the options i've got at end. A bit punchy, but has a nice amount of gain on it.

thank you man

As always, go to a store and try them out first

>he doesn't practice while laying bed

also leads to easy guitar cuddling

yes but that is not was hes asking. that thing is probably the worst thing to use desu.
i would either use the focusrite scarlet solo or 2i4 instead. the 2i2 offers nothing except a few more jacks over the solo, which he probably doesnt need. the problem with the solo and the 2i2 is ofcourse that they tend to clip if your pickups are too high output (i have no problems with my strat but its relatively low output and my friend for example can use none of this guitars without clipping on it). the remedy is to get the 2i4 which has a pad button or get a DI box to make your signal line level and take that input instead of the instrument input. but a cheap di box can fuck up your signal a bit so the safest option is the 2i4 honestly.

Get a desk chair with flip up/folding armrests (pic related). Makes guitar playing so much comfier.

>Less wood = less tone
>More output = more tone

look, im none of those retarded "tonewood doesnt make a difference" idiots, but that is not how it works lol. "more tone" doesnt even make sense. tone is just how it sounds, it can't sound "more" or "less". higher output means you get a higher level signal and thats it. what wood does is have an inpact on how the string vibrates which in turn influences all the overtones it creates aswell as the sustain. it can make your sound brighter or snappier, or warmer but it does not have an impact on the level of the signal, which is what the output of the pickup influences.

hey /gg/ i could use some advice

I've been playing guitar on and off for around 10 years but have about as much experience as someone who's been playing for a year and a half, especially since I stopped playing altogether from when I was 15 up until I was 18. I've been using this old shitty Squire strat that came in a guitar starter kit along with an amp and case, and I feel like the time has come to move on and get something new. I'm a poor college student on a budget but i've been working all summer to save up enough money for tuition + something nice at around the $300 price range. I got a new bedroom amp recently, don't have any plans to seriously drop some cash on a decent rig until I'm confident I can play a whole set without fucking up. I've been doing some research and looking around and PRS SE's have really caught my eye. I also like the design of gibson flying v's but those are way out of my price range. What kind of guitar would you guys recommend for an intermediate guitar player on a budget?

TLDR; $300 budget best bang for your buck on a guitar?

Curious on the logic of having only 2 inputs and 4 outputs. Like what's the point? What do you use it for? You would think that a 4i2 would be more useful

I got one a while ago but for some reason laying back feels a little unnatural, but in theory sounds comfy.
Where the fuck do you put your arms? Shit is impossible, unless you're playing some accoustic grandpa guitar.

Do you live in the US?
Can find mim strats for $300 easy and they're decent instruments. Hunt for deals m8.

i dont know why they dont make a 4i2 honestly.

PRS SE is what I'd recommend for just about anyone. Check one out at Guitar Center to see if you like the thin vs fat neck or the classic trem vs the floyd rose. Doesn't hugely matter that GC employees are incompetent because all of them go through PRS's Maryland factory to be checked out by American luthiers before hitting the market iirc. Probably why they're always the most fun to play at any shop you go to.

i hate to break it to you but a 300$ instrument wont be whole lot better than a squire. you definitly have to buy used if you wanna see any kind of improvement over the squire for that kind of money.

Those were the first guitars that I looked at earlier on this summer. Went to a few local guitar stores and tried them out and just wasn't a fan. Felt no different from the $75 squires imo, and from staring at my strat hanging on the wall for 10 years im a bit tired of the design. I liked the feel of gibson and epiphone guitars better for whatever reason, idk i guess they just fit my hands better.

Basically yeah, unless you get a good deal on Craigslist. But if you're asking the question in the first place then you're probably not the right person to be judging used instruments.

Yea i figured. Didn't want to face that tho since 300 was all i had left and waiting another year is gonna suck. I could maybe try selling my squire and using the money to boost my price range a bit but even then i feel like the difference is gonna be negligible

Def check out the fatter necked PRS SE's then. Basically the whole mindset PRS set out with was to make a halfway-house between Fender and Gibson, and I think there's a little more Gibson DNA there.

Buuuut you could also try out some Ibanez guitars just to look at the exact opposite end of the spectrum. Their cheap ~$3-500 guitars have been getting really good really fast. Flat necks and big frets aren't for everyone though.

Seems you prefer a shorter scale. If you don't go the MIM route, a decent Epiphone might be your best bet. My only qualm is that the stock pickups in a lot of the models at your price range aren't the greatest. You can definitely dial in a sound but it takes some patience.

Just hold out and hunt for deals then. There's gonna be someone struggling to pay rent out there and will undersell themselves eventually while you improve with your strat and save up in the mean time.

music theory seems stupid and a waste of time

>Where the fuck do you put your arms?
I position them pretty much how I would standing. I play a strat.

That's what I was thinking, I've seen a few deals on craigslist, ebay and other sites for SE's as low as $200 but I can't shake the feeling that I'd be getting ripped off somehow. a sort of 'too good to be true' kind of feeling

What genre do you play?

guitar

How would you get ripped off on CL when you can check it out yourself before handing your money over? You can also bring a friend with you who knows his shit about guitars.

And people have their circumstances. A lot of the time it's or some kid's dad bought him a guitar thinking it would be a nice present but the kid never touches it and plays videogames instead.

good point. I'll probably do that sometime soon once all my friends roll back into town. thanks for the advice

At $200 it's probably the SE Standard instead of the SE Custom. The Custom is made in Korea and is nicer than the Standard which is Indonesian. The Standard is totally doable, but I think spending a little more for the Custom is worth it.

Check it out, go to the guy's place, and if there ends up being some horrible gash or something he didn't tell you about then just bail.

Tell me of some Bass guitars that are normal scale but aren't huge like the Thunderbird (only bass I have owned, for recording purposes), looking to pick up something for use in home.

Thinking something along the lines of a Ray34 or a J-Bass.