For the most part, selling out doesn't exist

For the most part, selling out doesn't exist.

Except Metallica. I don't know what the fuck happened there.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KVYDnQwi3OQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-kTw2N5bI
youtube.com/watch?v=ENXvZ9YRjbo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Death Magnetic's a decent album

>napster
nothing excuses anything after And Justice For All

No one really got Lar's point. His point wasn't "NAPSTER IS BAD BECAUSE I'M NOT GETTING MONEY FOR MY MUSIC!" it was the fact that their music was being distributed out of their own control.

Keep in mind during the Napster days, it was a new era where music that was once only available in stores and on the radio was now being shared illegally on a strange place called the internet, a place that was still very mysterious to a lot of people.

Fuck Lars still...but people need a bit of hindsight on the situation.

Metallica is a perfect example of a band that just needs to stop, ACDC & GnR too

They should have stopped after The Black Album. Lets be honest, it's not their best, but it's certainly far from their worst and it's still heavy as fuck.

I've seen ACDC live. That's where they belong. On stage. Not on my stereo. Amazing show.

>Load Reload Garage Days St Anger
agreed

live music is always better i guess, i cant stand acdc for more than 3 songs

I was actually surprised how they managed such an entertaining show out of three chords, one beat, and one blues shape. It ruled either way.

i don't accept that metallica ever 'sold out.' they built their career on experimentation and pushing their sound forward. the first phase of their career begins with kill em all, an unrelenting but straightforward thrash assault, and culminates in the complex and progressive justice for all. by this point they'd exhausted all their progressive ambitions, and instead of rehashing older albums or unsuccessfully trying to top justice in terms of complexity, they took a sideways step and adopted a pop style. load/reload i haven't listened to in years, but i recall them adopting elements from contemporary alt rock as well as blues and country. then they come out with st. anger and lulu which, like them or not, totally defied expectations and have distinctive styles.

death magnetic was basically a rehash from what i recall, but the whole world was at their throats after st. anger so i don't blame them for trying to appease their fanbase.

When the Black Album came out, they got HUGE exposure. I remember Enter Sandman playing every 10 minutes. It was ridiculous. It's difficult to judge an act when they make such a drastic change from known-unknown to top shelf, mainstream success, so I can completely understand where you're coming from.

However the tonal shift from Black Album to Load (especially three years of touring the Black Album), seemed too drastic and coincidental upon their newfound success as well as the fact that it immediately sounded more commercial.

Now... again.. difficult to judge. I can't imagine the pressure an artist may feel being under so many different microscopes. One can only wonder what that does to an artist's creative process. Still having said that, I didn't see Load as much as an experimental shift but rather an adaptation to their new surroundings. Understandable, but it makes them REALLY hard to like considering their "from the streets" attitude just RIGHT before Load.

I dunno they suck now and it's not the image at all. it's the sound. It sounds like a show on it's 11th season and the ratings and somehow still doing well but the writing has gone to shit.

well like i said, i haven't heard load or reload in ages so i'm not really qualified to comment anything other than what i already said. however i stand by my position that metallica built a career on shifting their sound. also, st. anger and lulu were profoundly uncommercial efforts, so at least with those two it's probably safe to say they were concerned more with artistic expression than anything else.

i'm also a lulu-apologist and consider it one of the best albums from the past 10 years

I think you got me to sort of take them seriously again though. I listened to Saint Anger non stop trying to like it, and end the end realizing that there's some good material on there. It's just a shame it was arranged, mixed, and mastered so FUCKING badly.

In the end*

(it doesn't even matter)

All I'm going to say is - St. Anger.

for me st anger's biggest problem is that the songs are longer than the band can really sustain; there's just a bit too much clutter in its songs. however i agree that it has plenty of strong moments. it's also a truly powerful, if lyrically ineloquent, expression of middle-aged alcoholic rage.

They hazed Jason for years because "they missed Cliff" and then had the audacity to say in an interview that if Cliff Auditioned for Jason's spot he might not have even been the right choice
such egotistical cunts who worship themselves

>GnR
>implying they should have ever started

>for me st anger's biggest problem is that the songs are longer than the band can really sustain
this

It's not like they were proggy like on AJFA (or even DM), nor did they have any strong atmosphere to help push it through (like the long tracks on the Load albums)

Mr. Brownstone has a cool ass solo though.

youtube.com/watch?v=KVYDnQwi3OQ

@ 1:50

That's about all the catalog of GnR I like, so I'm no expert to defend them. This solo just always stuck with me. Great tone.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-kTw2N5bI

I think you summed that shit up pretty nice.

In all fairness the band was great it was just Asshole Rose who always bothered me
him being an asshole aside he was a nobody as a songwriter and a horrid vocalist

Be honest.

And let's cast aside manipulative marketing tactics. We both know this is all bullshit.

When you hear the first few notes of "Buddy Holly," you fucking SING THAT SHIT. You may have even learned how to play it. That song is forever, and so is this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=ENXvZ9YRjbo

It's funny that most of us agree on such stupidly simple tunes.

you sound like a campaign manager trying to spin an alleged rape

"if lyrically inoloquent"? are you fucking kidding me? that is the understatement of the century. the lyrics are borderline retarded:

>MY LIFESTYLE
>DETERMINES
>MY DEATHSTYLE

You didn't like "Paradise City" 2 octaves higher than he sounds capable of singing?

That depends on how you define selling out.

Signing to a major and compromising your sound for commercial gain is selling out.

Getting old and mellowing and playing what you like - which is what you've always done anyway - isn't selling out.

after reading your post i feel like i just spent a million years on r/music

copypasta?

no

Seems no worse then what you'd find on your typical Sup Forumscore album

thanks buddy

they're very clumsy lyrics, but also a bit endearing, i think, in that they strike me as coming from a place of real passion. like i said earlier, it's an expression of middle-aged alcoholic rage; isn't it supposed to be rough around the edges?

I smoke drugs and they make me FUCK UP but man this fruity loops session is tits.

Bands are in a business. They have producers and AR reps making decisions. Sorry but your precious "real" artists are not 100% authentic if they are on a major label.

That's why I don't tell anybody about them but bitch when they have to stop and get real jobs.

Check out the gigs from the Bon Scott days on youtube. 100 percent blues based three chord insanely rocking wonders and they did it forever.