/daily/ - "it's not montie time" edition

It's music time!

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, tell us what you've been listening to today and what you will listen to in the following month, post memes, talk about music, argue about opinions, be at peace with /rym/, and just let the good times flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>new topsters now that topsters has officially shit the bed

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>this is actually really fun but a lot of people have to participate.

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>plug but snug

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>shitpost machine

Ask about the Skype group. Go ahead. I fucking dare you.

Most importantly, have fun, I think!

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

last.fm/user/Shamepai
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/คณะ_อุดมศิลป์_เชียงใหม่/funeral_music_of_chiang_mai/
youtube.com/watch?v=t5hzY0jqlvE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

1st for gimme dem recs boys

the following people advance
rudi
herb guy
mark
tuco
post-feelist (unless weener shows up in the next three or so days which is unlikely)
darklands
jim
letov
anonymouse
trianglecubed
benji
mimrelund

two things to note
1) if you did romantic last round you don't have to do instrumental this time, unless your partner already took the passionate rec (basically you can switch places in the tourney if you want)

2) I fucked up the chart so some of the scores might not be perfectly accurate, since I had to put them back in basically from memory

>What are some good electronic/techno music that implement classical instruments?
Stuff like Rossz Csillag Alatt Született and Girl/Boy Song.

like every underaged indie fuck on the internet, i'm working on a cover of a NMH song (Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone). it's mainly just an experiment to see how well i can record with other instruments(!) with my shitty phone mic so i'm gonna try and up it as soon as i can to finally put drums in a track.

after that i /swear/ i'll make my own music

oh for fucks sake me and yamir were both behind by a fucking half point

>It sounds so alien and unlike anything else i've heard
yes! alien is the perfect word, it's so otherwordly and inhuman. spacey but still super mechanical.

not necessarily what you're looking for, but I believe there is an album of aphex twin arranged for strings/piano/orchestra/etc

Ok /daily/ i've gone insane! Or maybe not. I feel like i have to do something. I kinda hate not being of any contribution to this threads. So, i'm doing the impossible! Mr Jangle gave me the following list
>Ornette Coleman
>Andrew Hill
>Joe Henderson
>Eric Dolphy
>Art Blakey
>Dizzy Gillespie
>Charles Mingus
>Paul Bley
>Dave Holland
>Duke Ellington
Plus
>Miles Davis
>John Coltrane
>Peter Brotzman
>Sun Ra
What do this artists have in common you might be asking?
Well
I will listen to absolutely everything (EVERYTHING ACCORDING TO DISCOGS THAT I'M ABLE TO DOWNLOAD) that they ever released!
Yes
Everything!
Even if they were just sidemen or if it was a collaboration project!
Of course i can't make a chart out of this. I don't even know how to do this. It will probably take me about a year and a half. I will also have to listen to jazz everyday. Knowing me, i will most likely enjoy it. After that, i might come back for the discussion.
Oh yes, i'm kind of leaving with this. I will browse but no reviews, no anything, and will not post. That might take attention from my work of passion. For those worried, i will still listen to non-jazz music. In fact, i saturdays and sundays are non-jazz days. And for those who might miss me (literally who) i will give some thoughts at the end of each discography. So thanks, was a fun time, and will see you all when i finish everything Coltrane made
P.S. can you give me some useful links?

Yes, it's fantastic. I recently re-listened to some of my favourites from him and tunes like Pancake Lizard, The Waxen Pith, Girl/Boy gave me a craving for techno with classical instruments.

>EVERYTHING ACCORDING TO DISCOGS THAT I'M ABLE TO DOWNLOAD
>for Miles, Ornette, Henderson, Mingus, Ellington, Coltrane, Broztmann, Ra and more

dude you are insane

godspeed my crazy friend

Shamepai please

Don't do this to yourself

All of them have great stuff in their discog, but Jesus.

I will miss you ;_;

You sound set on this, but I would hope you will post every now and again.

Will you update your RYM constantly at least??

goddamn man, that's insane. really interested to see how this goes!

It still is Montietime!

Still working on my tourny. I've gotten some great recs from you all and I will post it when I am done with the hour long stuff because I have been busy.

What have you all been up to?

Ngl i would do this if i had the balls to
Shamepai youre a lunatic

Well well, i don't want to say goodbye either. But /daily is too time consuming. I will leave my last.fm here, hope you guys at least leave me a shout for motivation. Kinda puzzled with who should i start with tho
last.fm/user/Shamepai

>hasn't already done this with Nick Drake

Start with trane

That's like... At least a thousand albums right? Jeezus.

Assuming you're doing all the studio albums by each artist, that's 902 albums total.

If we assume each album is ~45 minutes (most of their albums I would imagine are shorter than this since most records were somewhat shorter than this length, but also factoring in the double/longer albums I would guess it would average out to around this):

45 x 905 = 40,590 minutes
40,590/60 = 676.5 hours
676.5/24 = 28.1875 days

Almost a month of audio.

And that's assuming each album only gets one listen.

Godspeed anime boy

Frick I meant 905 albums. Oops.

Neil Young - Dead Man

Assuming he's sleeping ~8 hours per day, add an extra 15 days.

Jesus christ shamepai what is wrong with you

I didn't mean that's how long it'll take, but just how much audio there is. If he factored in watching anime + sleeping + re-listens + eating + bathroom breaks I would guess it would take about a year and a half like he said.

Fuck that, go full jazz monk mode.

>~8 hours a day
if he really was devoted he could cut it down to 5 a night

I dont know anything about Boris but I just listened to Statememt on youtube and it was great

Where do I start

akuma no uta
if drone parts were your thing then amplifier worship, altar, flood
if rock parts were more your thing then heavy rocks 2002, pink
more of the same then feedbacker

speaking of boris, has anyone heard the new live album from this year (crossing waltz, not gensho)

oh montie, never change

Ty rugs
Well i called you a virgin not too long ago, and then you proved it

>Studio albums
But wouldn't that be boring?
What about the 909 Duke Ellington works?

Good morning, /daily/faithfuls. Love to all of you, even the ones who should not have it. I hope you are doing well today, tonight or whatever time fits your location.

I am going to write a review for the Birdy Nam Nam debut album today and I am going to bump it up to four stars.

I am sorry if I am being a complete numpty but I still not quite sure what to do now or who my partner even is. Am I tagging with Kanzler or what?

I had no idea they released a live album. I might listen to that. It is a concept thing or just a regular live gig? I still have not heard Gensho either.

>all of Duke Ellington
I want to do this at some point, I really like the Duke.

>instrumental

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/คณะ_อุดมศิลป์_เชียงใหม่/funeral_music_of_chiang_mai/

Absolute madman.

But if you really are set on this, godspeed.

Thanks for that Kongar ol'Ondar performance you sent me. The Tuvan throat singing culture seems very happy and aloof from what I've seen of it so far. It's sad ol'Ondar passed away recently; he seems like a very beloved figure.

Glad that you liked it! I really like that intimate performance, it really sums up his talent and his person.

Yeah, it is sad that the passed away as early as he did. It was for a reason that was designated a national treasure by the Tuvan government. He is one of the few people in music I am very saddened I will never get to meet, however small the chance might have been had he still been alive.

Going to bed now; night /boys/!

The dude radiated pure happiness. His legacy has been compared to Elvis; he's one of the guys everyone in Tuva knows and loves. Oidupaa Vladimir Oiun is also apparently like that, but he's supposedly more of a Bob Dylan-esque character.

In case anyone wanted to see the video that was mentioned:

youtube.com/watch?v=t5hzY0jqlvE

He smiles basically the entire time.

ITT: shitpost
I'll start.

Dead - Musical Abortions

i moderately dislike weezer and respect your opinion whether you do or not

I do not shitpost. What do I do then?

the weird frontier between pop and avantgarde are these guys the saviors of music?
S H I L L
H
I
L
L

Look at this contrarian

You shitpost anyway.

I only listened to one (1) Weezer album once (1) and I intend to never listen to Weezer again.

More like the inventors of music am I right haha.

music was invented in 1910 you id*ot

Anyone wanna rec some music to a newfag

Fishmans [sic] - Long Season
Les Rallizes Denudes - '77 Live
Coil - Ape of Naples
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Comus - First Utterance
This Heat - Deceit
Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Jim O'Rourke - Eureka
Suicide - s/t

Typically, the average person will like at least one of these /daily/core albums.

Does this pic exist already? I'll bet it does, but here's something I did in a couple minutes

Ooh la la, such potential!
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Preoccupations - Preoccupations
Talking Heads - Remain In Light
King Krule - Six Feet Under the Moon
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
You might like the new Bones mixtape PAIDPROGRAMMING2, I'm listening to it right now and it's surprisingly decent

I enjoy Weezer

Brotzmann and Defibrillator - Conversations about not eating meat

…sending electrical currents through steel-thick molasses. The music is playfully violent and even evokes some strange process of digestion from the start to end through whole parts becoming decomposed. Its aesthetic of hardcore and electronic-heavy free jazz with light noise is interesting. I like this one. Read about this one and failed to hear the often mentioned Grindcore influence of Defibrillator. Perhaps it’s only present in the track names.
>Anthropozoophilia
>Good Intentions
>The Man With One Ball
>Fuckir
>Uterine Prolapse
>Cellulite Guru

Full Blast - Risc

Peter Brötmann on reeds, Marino Pliakas on e-bass, Michael Wertmüller on drums, Gerd Rische on electronics.

Some tracks remind a little of newer Swans but with less overbearing drone and more articulation in the cacophony of things. I like the way the band formulates this push and pull of sound that evolves into a frantic and heady stupor. Gerd Rische pulling off some quietly sinister stuff. Don’t know what to say about this. I was really sad about some things when I was listening to the album… Can’t formulate anything meaningful. I really like it though.

James Ferraro - Human Story 3

I really don’t know what this is… I’m not sure what I think about his idea in his artist statement/ short essay. On one hand I like that he wrote these things, even though they’re not so developed; on the other hand I don’t like that he wants us to treat this extra-musical information as a means to understand the work. Taken by itself, it seems that the music doesn’t have the strength to stand on its own. It doesn’t communicate a quarter of what he wrote. I just don’t care about this… If anyone else has heard this, let me know what you thought.

I too, enjoy the musical stylings of Rivers Cuomo

On a sidenote, a feel like Mac Demarco could possibly be this generation's Weezer. As soon as he finds a way to bridge into the larger mainstream he'll be set for life

Others not on the chart…

Matmos - Ultimate Care II

A novelty concept but a strong realisation. At first I could only stand it after about 7 minutes into the piece. As it progresses into whatever the fuck this thing is I found it hypnotic. Now after maybe 4 or 5 listens I’m really into it. The first time I listened to this, any realistic or unfiltered sound turned me off a little, most notably the beginning and very end. Thankfully this was only to serve the narrative and not the aesthetic. The album’s strength is in the way it moves through building and shedding the rich soundscape. It avoids the danger of becoming a ‘meme’ or ‘that washing machine album’ in the way I described above but also in the way it treats the sound non-organically by manipulating the sounds and rhythms enough to where it’s abstract and amorphous. Didn’t expect to like it on paper, but through inventiveness and undermining expectations I think this is a great album. I’ll be returning to this one.

Black Moth Super Rainbow – SeeFu Lilac

The approach to this seems to be pervading many established ‘indie’ bands, mostly recently exemplified by Dinosaur Jr, where the sound is a banal rehash, another slight variation on the thing they did 100 times before. This release is described as ‘neon flavoured outtakes’ from an unfinished album. Only question is why would he release this? Doesn’t matter because it’s now part of his legacy and it’s one that’s faltering. Agree with the critics in that it’s only for the fans and completists. Sadly I’m growing continuously disillusioned with each new release by many long running bands I held in high esteem. Or maybe I’m growing out of this shit.

I'm seeing Death Grips, hype

I have never felt the need to flail around and yell along to a Mac DeMarco song tho

That's because River's lyrics are relatable to all nerds of every generation, regardless of the gap. Demarco's lyrics are reserved for when you find that qt you've been longing for, manage to get, and eventually lose.

You're slowly becoming my favorite reviewer

Was gonna review the albums I did today. It's 4AM and I'm tired so tomorrow hopefully ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

my boy with the digits

Interested on thoughts on Twin Peaks. Nice reviews man.

dope

:)

Thanks. I'll try to listen to that album in the next few days.

what /next/

Nina Simone or Moondog!

Nina Simone it is then!

Do Nomeansno and Zs soon

also how tf haven't you listened to Pink Flag yet? Will it be your first Wire album? Because Chairs Missing and 154 are absolutely essential and some of the best rock albums ever made, so check those out as well.

I think I listened to Chairs Missing once a long time ago and it didn't click. I really haven't dug into OG punk rock/post-punk at all yet so this is just the tip of the missed essentials iceberg.

Right now this album is tugging on my heartstrings. Beautiful little slowcore/ambient rock album with lots of subdued jazz drumming, vibraphone and feedback romancing. Gorgeous melodies. Sleepy atmosphere that occasionally reaches shoegazey amounts of haze.
Dogwander especially should check this out asap.

>I kinda hate not being of any contribution to this threads.
surely listening to jizz in bulk, quantity over depth, will change this somehow

track 5 fucking won me over oh god this album is fucking great

>Tom Waits - Mule Variations
>>???
I really like the junkyard percussion and weird Americana that is Wait's stock in trade, but he produces such variety on every album I've heard that I can't help but feel I'll never be wholly satisfied with any one of his releases. This one has a bit too much bleeding heart country for me. On the other hand it has some real highlights, such as What's He Building, which is up there with the best of his spoken word stuff like 9th & Hennepin.

>Expo '70 - Where Does Your Mind Go?
>>ambient, krautrock
Apparently a massive love-letter to Tangerine Dream, et al. who I'm not overly familiar with but who are in my backlog. I'm just really feeling this album as an overtly synth led ambient adventure. Makes a nice change from a lot of the drone-y and field recording led stuff I often listen to.

>Cluster & Eno
>>krautrock, ambient
I felt like this album has a really strong start but just dropped off a bit in quality towards the middle and end. Fascinating to hear Eno working in the style that directly influenced his later ambient work. And as I said, the first few tracks on this album blew me away.

>I will listen to absolutely everything
>Even if they were just sidemen or if it was a collaboration project!
Don't. There's a lot of great records put by the names on that list (but I assume also a big number of mediocre ones) so just take it slow and listen to the essentials by them. Relisten to the ones you like most, as they usually just get better, and check out other records by players in the records you liked. That should keep you occupied, it has kept me for more than a year for now.
Also here are some other big names
>Louis Armstrong
>Art Tatum
>McCoy Tyner
>Charlie Parker
>Max Roach
>Keith Jarrett
>Thelonious Monk
>Bud Powell
>Bill Evans
>Coleman Hawkins
Could probably make an even bigger list but just write these names down and go at your own pace.

I just cannot seem to write down properly my thoughts on the Birdy Nam Nam self-titled and it is bugging me. Anyone have the same feel?

Oh man, Art Tatum. Fantastic.

I used to really dislike these threads but it seems they're the only ones with music in them on this entire board save for all the meimeis. Does Sky or Givingbear still post in them as they're the only trips I remember liking from them.

Why are there so many waifufags on this board
Is it really that hard to get a girlfriend
Fucking straight people are going to go extinct before gays
Givingbear's still giving

He hasn't put a lot of records that I've been able to find, after all, he lived in the singles era of jazz for the most part. Luckily there's a few compilations I can to through every now and then.
Do you have any recommended Tatum records?

>Fucking straight people are going to go extinct before gays
this is the dream

I doubt I can provide anything other than what you have heard already. As you said, nothing besides compilations.

I have heard 20th Century Piano Genius, 1949 and Piano Starts Here. I have a few volumes of The Complete Art Tatum Piano Discoveries and The Art of Art as well, on vinyl.

We gotta figure out male pregnancy sooner or later
Yosie have you started figuring out your Birdy Nam Nam review?

This is in some compilations as far as I know so you've probably heard it, but idk.

Oh Terry Riley, if only Sunrise of the Planetary Dream Collector ended at Cadenza, it would be perfect

One can dream

Whoa, was that GJ just now? Wish he'd come out of hiding and join us again

How sad, he was looking so forward to seeing you!

Did any of you guys listen to this? What did you guys think?

I have put on rest. No reason to stress too much about it.

Tatum/Webster is something I have been wanting to listen to forever.

Keiji Haino - I Said, This is the Son of Nihilism
I quote exactly from the discogs page
>"Another Haino dark mythos masterpiece. The tumult of isolation, barricades of the emotional binds soaked in desperate sweat, yet relaxed to know that for the next few infinities nothing of the lonely human condition will ever change, needs to change, wants to change. This album's composition remains in the confinement of recorded moans and aches over thunderstrikes as guitars. Experimental in its droneology and shamanistic in its headlight from the abyss."
sure kid, it's ok

what do I pan next?

Yeah, I miss him

As for Owen Pallett, I liked Heartland more (i mean lets be serious, nothing tops Tryst with Mephistopheles) this was a solid 2014 release. What were your thoughts?

I have to agree Heartland is still better but there are some incredible moments on In Conflict

You make me want to pick it up again, that's for sure

How did you first come across his music?

why listen to jazz when you could listen to classical?

Ask a guy who's listening to Shri Camel anything

Are you listening to Shri Camel?

[sic]

I don't understand that. New question: you suffer but why?

maybe by the time the habbening habbens we'll be able to transplant our brains to immortal androids that perfectly resemble humans and we will become Gay Philosopher God-Kings that will rule the universe for the ages to come and also totally embrace the art of sodomy

Job asked God something along those lines and God said something along the lines of rhetorics so insert something rhetorical here

(quick post a meme)

So in Canada instead of MTV we have Muchmusic, literally the same down to crazy big culture in the 90s, award shows and now terrible young adult rom-drom tv shows and bad reality TV, not as much as MTV, though. They also still play music here. In Canada there is broadcast laws which basically state 1/3 of all content broadcasted through radio and TV has to be Canadian. This is why theres all those Canadian breakthrough artists like Justin Bieber and Alessia Cara, they get a big boost in radio play here and that fanbase created by it boosts them into American and international radio. Muchmusic has an entire hour long music video showcase dedicated to Canadian music videos so they can then show two hours of 30 minute American shows before going into Degrassi reruns n shit. During a music video showcase one of the videos that came on was The Riverbed and I loved it. It took me a long time to get into the rest of his work, at first I didn't like his stuff other than Riverbed because edgy teen bs. Then I found out he was from my city (and also gay) and relistened to In Conflict and really enjoyed it.

Dude that would be amazing
An eternity of gay androids is the best way to find world peace

Idk man that sounds p gay imo.

Spinvis

It's either an eternity of lonelyness or an eternity of lusty masculine fun

When you put it like that you sound less gay and more /r9k/ tbqhwys.

/rym/ are making fun of us again

Oh no, I'm going over there to put an end to that IMMEDIATELY!!!

[spoiler]did I do it right?[/spoiler]

Wait they aren't making fun of us they're praising us
Huh I thought they were mocking us over our gay android fantasies

test

Hi Thomas the Trip Engine

thanks for the new trip, friend