Diagrams

I attempted to show the history of folk music (starting with the 1920's) in 40 albums, 1 album per artist. how accurate is it?
What other music diagrams have user's got for us today?

Change the title to CONTEMPORARY folk

will do

Needs more Joan Baez

Imho, Charley Patton would be much better than John Hurt as a representative of super early blues.

>1 album per artist

reckon you need at least one Nick Drake/Joni Mitchell album, also I reckon Anthology of American Folk Music had a pretty big influence on modern folk

added suggestions

Is this better?

50 is a nice rounder number anyway

what about indie folk stuff like Elliott Smith, The Microphones, The Mountain Goats, Sufjan, etc.?

Those are all rock, not contemporary folk

Remove Mumford and Sons

>The Mountain Goats are rock

>The Mountain Goats are an American indie folk rock band formed in Claremont, California by singer-songwriter John Darnielle.

I don't like them but they've become a part of the genre

imo the first fleet foxes album should be there instead of helplessness blues

HB was good but heavy on the 70s nostalgia, where the s/t was more original

They've been the biggest folk act of the 10's thus far tho even if they're trash

Add Fahey, Newsom.

++Phil Ochs, Donovan (Should probably put in Sunshine Superman though), Father John Misty (not really folk however)
-Jake Bugg, Mumford and Sons

Suggestions: American Primivitism records like Robbie Basho and John Fahey.

Also you're missing Nick Drake and Jackson C. Frank

Blind mother fucker

yeah, add Fahey or another primitivism guitarist, primitivism is a very important folk style.

i'd consider taking out Jake Bugg and Father John Misty, they're definitely pop/rock acts rather than folk acts, at least Elliott, TMG, and Sufjan are much more rooted in contemporary folk. maybe replace them with Newsom or Songs: Ohia?

It's kind of misleading to represent any music before the 50s with LP albums. All those old blues and old time records were two-sided 78 singles and weren't compiled into albums until much later.

Hey, Bitch. Let's get this straight, I didn't see that chart that has only added one Nick Drake album. Still No Fahey, still no Jackson, the wrong Dylan Album(s). Just shut up, Shut the Fuck up

I've been defrosting my grandfather's freezer for him, that's why I haven't been on. I'll add sone new people and make some changes people have suggested but I believe that is the correct Dylan Album to include as it is influencing I'm the genre and not yet a folk rock album like blonde on blonde.

I would argue as Bugg is heavily inspired by early Donovan songs like Lightning Bolt and Two Fingers are leaning on folk

Bumping

Peronally I'd put in Times are A'Changin or H61 but i understand you're reasoning.

yes, i can see how Donovan could have had influence on Bugg, but we are talking about the quality of Bugg's tunes. I mean we are talking about essentials here, not necessarily opinions

will be making changes now

much better:)

I know Mumford & Sons are there but there popularity as modern folk artists is significant enough that even if I don't like them I feel inclined to include them.

this is great!

yeah, they suck but there hasn't been a folk artist as popular as them in quite a while.

Nice work! I know some people will spurge-out with M&S on there, but it is after all "A History" and not "The Best".

yeah, i might swap out roy harper for harry chapin but that'll be my final change for now

I would change Bob dillan with bring it all back home

actually not harry chapin, steeleye span