Artists that are too prolific for their own good?

A lot of his projects get kind of forgotten amidst a bunch of his releases, even though quality may not actually be bad. Imagine if he took the time make One really well-thought out project once every 1-3 years

Kevin Barnes suffers a similar fate from the precedent of annual releases that fluctuate in ambition

Yeah, I really don't see how artists can just release so much stuff without thinking in the long term what they're doing to their discography.

The Microphones/Mount Eerie would be as well known as Sufjan if he slowed down.

This makes me wonder if Beach House releasing two full albums within the same year was a good move in the run long?

I think bands can get away with it once. Look at Radiohead. If they're consistently releasing something every year or less it definitely starts to feel diluted

You have to be really goddamn sure of yourself to pull of something like that. I can maybe see a band releasing an album and then a separate b-sides/EP/Demos and pulling it off. I haven't really listened to Thank you lucky stars, but seeing how Depression cherry's reception was lukewarm in comparison tho their past 2 releases, I just have to wonder why they didn't just focus on one cohesive project.

They don't really have a problem of prolific releases, though. They have a bit of a problem with sounding EXACTLY the same every release, especially when Bloom and Teen Dream hit a peak in their career. It's hard to come back from there without changing it up.

Honestly it sucks more than anything when artists are churning out records like butter but they all sound the same, even if they're all solid 8/10s.

It's why I'm probably not going to get the new National album. It's just going to be the same as Boxer, HV, and TWFM

I really liked Depression Cherry though. I haven't listen Stars yet either.

And yeah I was thinking the same thing. As much as I love their music I can't help but feel like I only need so much of it because it all sounds the same.

This. It becomes business as usual. Even if I'll enjoy it, I'll probably get more enjoyment out of re-listening to my favorite record by an artist, then hear some semi-copies. If artists are gonna do this, they should at least aim to be significantly more refined in sound/production, or raw

lately i'm thinking this might be the case with autechre. they've released over 13 hours of great music in ~7 months (ae_live being 9 hours long and elseq being 4. that's not even mentioning the 2 hour album they put out in 2013) and while most of the material has received acclaim on Sup Forums and rym, it's been largely ignored or met with indifference everywhere else because it's just soooo much to digest.

Yeah I love the idea of Autechre, but they're very fatiguing to listen to. The huge releases don't help either

Lol those albums are all have pretty noticeable differences, terrible example

I'd usually agree with you but since you said "lol" I'm gonna have to call you a faggot

Any artists who successfully pulled of three or more albums in close succession that are regarded as among their best material?

yeah, even before these behemoth releases they had never released an album under an hour long (with one of their "eps" infamously having a runtime of 2 1/2 hours). it's not even so much an issue of quality control because a majority of the stuff released is superb, but it can be extremely tiring to listen to experimental techno/glitch music for that long.

if anything, elseq is actually a move in the right direction as the "collection" format allows you to break it up easily, at the very least.

Michigan (2003),Seven Swans (2004),Illinois (2005). 2 really dense albums, and one stripped down. Not as prolific as, say, Phil Elverum, but when you look at how much he did on Michigan and Illinois, you gotta take that into consideration

a lot of 60s and 70s artists/bands

I love Phil's music but there's so much of it now. Makes it hard to really pick out the highlights in his recent stuff

Not to mention the avalanche(2006) was just a bunch of outtakes and is still very favorably received

I mean of course there are differences to make note of, but I was speaking more holistically. As much as I love The National, they're not a band that really evolves.

Of course there are more extreme cases like Boston where the amount of repetitive sounding albums is just sad.

Can is probably best example of this

Striborg has over 20 albums and most of them sound very similar. Difficult to get into his discography, but Embittered Darkness and Ghostwoodlands is a good start.

Literally everything except for Pre-HUman ideas is above 7/10 though. I prefer he release a lot of music rather than an album every five years which may or may not be good.
Very true. I was hoping that PP2 would finally be an album of his that could be considered his best, but unfortunately it's not.

After posting this I ckecked The Beach Boys and between Pet Sounds and Surf's Up they released six albums in five years

Pic related has shockingly not suffered this fate, despite 3 bands and a solo project. though the past few,say, 3 years have sorta shown a lack of luster.

Whoop. forgot pic

Pretty much all of his stuff is good besides Pre-Human Ideas. And I re listened to that and it isn't actually that bad

Faust

I like that he occassionally changes iy up too. keeps the large discography from feeling redundant

Brian Eno: Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World all released within 2 years