Is this a pleb choice for favorite Grunge album?

Is this a pleb choice for favorite Grunge album?
I really like this so far. Where do I go from this? I never got into Nirvana

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T0_zzCLLRvE
youtube.com/watch?v=TWeAeWql_KY
youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Literally every other band in the big 4 is better

Definitely Soundgarden.

I guess you like the "pop(ier)" side of Grunge. I would take a listen to Superunknown by Soundgarden. Listen to Spoonman: youtube.com/watch?v=T0_zzCLLRvE

Everyone said the same thing....

Soundgarden > AiC > Nirvana > Pearl Jam

Yes, now go listen to it.

>Is this a pleb choice for favorite Grunge album?
Maybe. If you like it check out Vs. and Vitalogy next. I personally think they're better. I'd say No Code is their best actually but it isn't exactly grunge, so.

But anyway Soundgarden is the best. Forget album recs, just listen to the whole discography. They were one of those great bands who pretty much got better with each album.

AiC > Soundgarden > Nirvana >> Pearl Jam

If we're not counting the post-reunion work for the first two

holy fuck 5 2's ?

>They were one of those great bands who pretty much got better with each album.

well down on the upside is nowhere as good as badmotorfinger or superunknown so this isn't true

>No Code is their best actually but it isn't exactly grunge, so.
I agree No Code is their best

>well down on the upside is nowhere as good as badmotorfinger or superunknown so this isn't true

I actually agree which is why I added "pretty much." But when you look at their whole catalogue they certainly went uphill overall. But they started off excellent too.

No other grunge band came even remotely close to topping In Utero

kek

I would definitely recommend people start with either Badmotorfinger or Superunknown before the 80s stuff

You and I both know you don't really believe that.

That's only true until Down on the Upside, which while still solid, doesn't top Superunknown.

Nah, Soundgarden is a better band, with more interesting songwriting. AiC was just sort of basic hard rock with meme harmony every song (nevermind that they wouldn't exist without SG's Nothing to Say), but SG had a lot of psych and prog influences, and their chops were a lot better.

AoC = Soundgarden > Nirvana >> Pearl Jam

Listen to this or Superunknown (Soundgarden) next, they are both equally great

Am I the only one who prefers Soundgarden's early stuff to the rest of their material? Ultramega OK and Screaming Life/Fopp have this really jangly and raw sound that're just incredible

You're not the only one, but you're definitely in the minority.

Nothing wrong with that opinion though, I just tend to prefer the more finely crafted songs of their 90s material.

nice get nigger

>I would definitely recommend people start with either Badmotorfinger or Superunknown before the 80s stuff
Most people probably would. I don't.

>That's only true until Down on the Upside, which while still solid, doesn't top Superunknown.
see >Nah, Soundgarden is a better band, with more interesting songwriting. AiC was just sort of basic hard rock with meme harmony every song (nevermind that they wouldn't exist without SG's Nothing to Say), but SG had a lot of psych and prog influences, and their chops were a lot better.
This, although there's no reason to assume AIC owes anything to Soundgarden.

>Am I the only one who prefers Soundgarden's early stuff to the rest of their material? Ultramega OK and Screaming Life/Fopp have this really jangly and raw sound that're just incredible
I don't know if I prefer it, but I absolutely love it regardless. It's just a different flavor. I'd also include Louder Than Love as the end of "early" SG. It was the first with A&M but it still has that raw feel.

Not an album, but god damn this is so fucking good

Why did Cornell fuck up so much after Soundgardedn? Audioslave is boring buttrock and Soundgarden comeback album was mediocre

And he also made this

Because Soundgarden was not Cornell but the sum of it's very talented parts. Also, probably money.

Plenty of musicians produce a ton of shitty music after their primes, I'd say Chris is actually pretty lucky in that regard in that some of his solo stuff is really neat.

You're right about this album though.

Worsening alcoholism + Soundgarden's breakup + the death of a close friend in a three month stretch takes a toll I suppose.

That said EM was pretty good and I think Audioslave's s/t was good too. Scream was a slip up but as for Soundgarden's reunion it was their first album in 16 years. Most bands don't even put out anything halfway decent when they reunite.

Mudhoney > AiC > Soundgarden > Nirvana > Pearl Jam

>Mudhoney
Ahahahaha

putting alice in chains ahead of nirvana and soundgarden is laughable

you have embarrassed yourself

ffs user

you have proven yourself to be underage, please remove yourself from this website

>I rank Pearl Jam last

Pearl Jam didn't exist in the 1940s

It's a decent album, but Vs. and Vitalogy are so much better

> all these contrarians in this thread

all you faggot know deep down he was the GOAT

Audioslave was great though...Also his acoustic stuff is pretty good, along with Euphoria Morning.

>Mudhoney

Okay thats called being a Reddit contrarian.

AiC>STP>Nirvana>Soundgarden>Pearl Jam

>he ranks STP

a breath of sanity in this thread.

Dirt is by far the best album that any of those 4 bands ever made.

Nirvana is the only good grunge band. Anything else with the label is shit.

I have no problem with them being ranked, but being ranked 2nd is a fucking travesty. They're a distant 5th.

butthole surfers is the most pleb by a long shot.

Early Smashing Pumpkins are basically grunge

Great is pushing it. Their self-titled album was okay, but even then it was really just safe FM radio rock. Everything else they did after that was kind of shitty.

Actually if you want to do it by millions of units sold user was not way off - PJ-31.5, Nirv-25, STP-17.5, AiC-12.5, SG-9

This thread pretty much confirms that Sup Forums knows nothing about grunge music.

Then again, most 14 year olds love Kurt so much since he was an edgy fag who killed himself, so it makes sense.

>STP in 2nd
>not last

ONE name you dumbasses......Andrew wood.....go to the beginning to find what you seek

no, but you're a pleb for caring

>stp is shit bandwagon

Easily Core by STP, it's easily comparable and similar, and for Soundgarden I recommend Badmotorfinger

That would be true if it wasn't for like 3 Soundgarden albums.

>ctrl f
>Screaming Trees 0 results
You\re pleb af

Superunknown and Badmotorfinger give it a run for its money, but Dirt is better than both, in my opinion.

Geez dummies, MOTHER LOVE BONE

Even though that band is literally Pearl Jam with a different singer?

>breeeeeezin, resizedonabilomeida concrete
>oh feeeeeeeelin, mebbilsi a little better senideiz
>oh heeeehnaaaah, besidatisiznabadenizad familiar
>oh dooooofraaaaan, hikanehwenizabbiloos insane

Just done a proper nasty shit lads

grunge isn't even a genre, to claim to know something about it is to say that any edgy alternative music from a span of 6 years is all the same type of music

I disagree, but I love both bands anyway, so.

kek, you went the extra mile for accuracy.

>grunge isn't even a genre

>>>/underage/

Grunge is approved by several critics including Scaruffi

>Grunge is approved by several critics

I like grunge, but this entire mindset is what's wrong with some of Sup Forums community. People who need music to be validated or else they can't admit to enjoying it.

I used to be like that in high school. I was more interested in appearing knowledgeable than actually enjoying music. I fucking cringe thinking about it now, because nobody fucking cares about your music taste as an adult or a teenager.

He had some missteps but his career has been pretty good. He's still got an amazing voice and capable of writing great songs.

King Animal was a good follow-up to Down on the Upside, too, aside from a couple tracks. There's a handful of new classics on there.

youtube.com/watch?v=TWeAeWql_KY

damn i hate this album

>Scaruffi
He just wants to be liked by children

I like Nirvana but over AIC?
nah Layne is the second coming of God

There are 3 or 4 good songs on the album but I do agree those 3 or 4 are fantastic.

It blows my mind people unironically don't agree with this

You have my support user, I never understood the hatred towards Pearl Jam on here. Their first four albums are amazing, after that though, pretty meh (except for Lost dogs)
Every once in a while I go back to Ten to see if I still love it as much as I did the first couple of times I heard it, and I always do. Saw them live two years ago and it was amazing.

Also

Alice in Chains > Nirvana = Pearl Jam >Soundgarden

Fight me

Soundgarden is the best actually, but you're still on the money about Pearl Jam. And live, can confirm, the stage is practically their home.

I know I'll probably take shit, but fuck it, music is subjective.

Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Alice in Chains

I wanted to like Soundgarden, and I tried, I started with Badmotorfingerwich I did like a lot, but other than that I just like individual songs, such as Black hole sun, Fell on Black days, and Black rain, but a lot of the time I get this cheesy vibe from them. I don't know, maybe I should give them a second chance.

I feel the same way. They're very talented, and I definitely respect them, but every time I've tried to listen to an entire Soundgarden album I've been bored, which is strange for that genre of music. They're definitely a "greatest hits" band for me.

Outshined is my shit, though.

I started getting into grunge music recently after being moslty a britpop guy and despising the genre and I definitely like AIC the most, Dirt, Jar of Flies and Unplugged are all God tier, mplus as other said Staley was a legendary vocalist, I don't dig their new stuff much.
I like Nirvana and they have some great songs, but I hate how much people overrate them and see Cobain as second coming of Christ.
From Soundgarden I only heard Superunknown and thought it was too long with only few interesting tracks like Black hole Sun and Fell on Black Days.
Pearl Jam are pretty solid, but I get why they get lot of hate, they inspired tons of terrible clones and Eddie is a tool. Plus his vocals are the lest appealing out of the 4.

Obligatory
youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU

I'm personally a big fan of Screaming Life / Fopp. The production there is fantastic. The production on Ultramega OK was terrible imo, everything is too muted and "clean". I don't know if you can consider Louder Than Love an early SG album, but that's my favorite from their discography

>ehen hoooooooo
>doss aray like butt on fries

>big 4
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
smashing pumpkins?
temple of dog?
audioslave?
mudhoney?
which is the other big?

Alice in Chains dumbass

>THEY'RE FUCKING HIGH-FIVING EACHOTHER ON THE COVER, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

Based as fuck Chris Ott's anti Pearl Jam rant is priceless

They are better than soundgarden and in the same league as nirvana

Dollar Bill is comfy as fuck.

Purple by STP is pretty remarkable considering Core accidentally pioneered buttrock. Kitchenware & Candybars is a subtle masterpiece

>tfw pearl jam is your one of your favorite bands of all time and you have no shame because listening to their music makes you happy and you enjoy it.

Pearl Jam detractors should look up their cover of The Who's "Love Reign O'er Me" at the Vh1 Rock Honors. Great band with an interesting, polarizing discography

>aaahn duhh ceeeelan
>ahnna porsh aaaaaaa lattaaaalheses
>lemmuh suh
>ah wunnuh leave beennaaguuuuuhn

>jeehemeeh spoo in schoooooh tu deeeeeeeehh

Mudhoney tho

Core and Purple are both good albums, it's a shame they only inspired shitty bands.

early stuff is patrish af
also they're not grunge

AKA Rage Against The Machine syndrome.