2016 AOTYs

post your top tops

Congrats on having horrible drone taste!

>shit, this album is good, i can't like it though because other people do

1. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
2. Swans - The Glowing Man
3. David Bowie - Blackstar
4. Paul Simon - Stranger to Stranger
5. The Avalanches - Wildflower
6. Deakin - Sleep Cycle
7. Black Mountain - IV
8. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
9. Parquet Courts - Human Performance
10. Dälek - Asphalt for Eden

Congrats on being a special snowflake!

>2006.png

everyone should listen to Even Oxen - Arrayed Above the Seraphim Lights

3) Woods - City Sun Eater in the River of Light
2) Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered
1) Animal Collective - Painting With
I could list more, but in terms of enjoyment, these three have been in a league of their own this year. I guess some special shout outs can go out to that Deakin album as well as the Sound of Ceres project. Radiohead's new album was their best in years, but still not really an AOTY contender for me.

i enjoyed that one. its being severely overrated, or at least it was a couple weeks ago but it's a lot of fun.

elseq 1-5

Glowing Man

Symphony 13

Terminal Redux

Gensho

Le Dernier Crepsucule

>Kayo Dot

Even when they release subpar albums compared to some of their best, they are still considered AOTYs.

Toby is literally the highest tier musician.

I'm really not impressed that much with anything other than Elseq this year. On the classical side though, I'm looking forward to Ensemble Signal's recording of Radio Rewrite later this month, since it should be a much better one than Alarm Will Sound's.

bad taste
Cool!
OK taste.

bad taste

Who's your favorite conductor for Mozart?

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Bowie - Blackstar
Marissa Nadler - Strangers
Esperanza Spalding - Emily's D+Evolution
Swans - The Glowing Man
Mitski - Puberty 2
Ital Tek - Hollowed
Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
Anderson. Paak - Malibu
Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth
Eleanor Friedberger - New View
Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial

In no particular order:

Naked Lights - On Nature
Autechre - Elseq
Cindy Lee - Act Of Tenderness
Glenn Jones - Fleeting
Andy Stott - Too Many Voices
The Fiction Aisle - Fuchsia Days
David Bowie - Blackstar
Swans - The Glowing Man

I'm excited for Joey Alexander-Countdown
Dr John Cooper Clarke & Hugh Cornwall- This Time it's Personal
The new Eric Clapton/ Rolling Stones album

Why does everyone like The Glowing Man? They peaked with the Seer, TBK was pretty good, but TGM is just a snoozefest to me.
Weird, that woods album and that pinkshinyultrablast are in my top 3 as well. Not a fan of PW though.
>this tripfag again
The music you listen to doesn't make you special. Focus more on enjoying it instead of making everything some weird fucking competition. It makes you seem insecure.

I agree that it isn't as good as The Seer or TBK, but I still think it's one of the best albums of the year.

The Seer > TGM > TBK

The Seer was my AOTY for 2012
TBK ranked i think 30 on my year-end list for that year.
TGM will likely be staying in my top 5 of the year.

Swans (at least in their current era) are at their best, not when they're writing songs, but when they're making these little cosmic explosions in slow motion i.e. A Piece of the Sky, The Seer's title track, Cloud of Unknowing, Frankie M.

TBK was too aggressive for it's own good. TGM is a lot closer in atmosphere and tempo to The Seer and it's all the better for it. It's a bit brighter than anything else in that trilogy as well, it's the only one of the 3 that i can listen to on a sunny morning and it won't drag me down or feel out-of-place.

pickle

>Why does everyone like The Glowing Man?
this year has been pretty bad for music but swans are still good even if TGM was no different from TBK

Alright cool, maybe I just need to listen to it more. I'll try to keep in mind the slow motion quality, it definitely struck me as a more ambient record, maybe that just threw me off because I look to swans for more raw aggression and huge sounding songs.

>because I look to swans for more raw aggression and huge sounding songs.
First part is the exact opposite with me. The most "aggressive" Swans era was their first era, which is by far their worst.

"huge sounding" applies to their current era just fine. same with their goth rock years, which were also great.

but think about the apostate. that song is cathartic in the way it just pummels along.

new arca will shit on everything

Elemantra - Foreign Breath

>first era swans is their worst
I vehemently disagree but you're welcome to your bad opinions

bump

>4 actors are one of the greatest bands of all time