Discuss the nicest Canuck in the music biz, Claire Boucher (aka Grimes)

Discuss the nicest Canuck in the music biz, Claire Boucher (aka Grimes).

- What are your thoughts on Medieval Warfare?
- Did you see her live? Do you plan to?
- Who would you like to see her collab with?

Important:
>Outside Lands is slated to be live streaming Grimes (and a bunch of other cool acts) starting at 4pm Pacific today (Grimes' set starts at 6:50)

Leave your opinion on her music
>best
>runner-up
>worst
>underrated
>overrated

Video of the day: youtube.com/watch?v=5xgl9gee7KY

Try to keep it music related, and be nice to Grimes!

Other urls found in this thread:

go90.com/profiles/series_7ff0d2af86ad4b529b9c6f1e9cacf62a
thequietus.com/articles/05916-grimes-halfaxa-review
youtube.com/watch?v=FxmCvdY4NZQ
austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2012-10-04/surrealist-yuppie-grimes/
theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/31/claire-boucher-grimes-art-angels
youtube.com/watch?v=OXor30_XZMY
strawpoll.me/10910497
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>best
Venus Fly
>runner-up
Pin
>worst
right now, Medieval Warfare
>underrated
Scream
>Overrated
NO SUCH THING

>Outside Lands is slated to be live streaming Grimes (and a bunch of other cool acts) starting at 4pm Pacific today (Grimes' set starts at 6:50)
go90.com/profiles/series_7ff0d2af86ad4b529b9c6f1e9cacf62a

best smile ever?

As a fan of Grimes medival warfare just sucked and imo stooped her sound lower

Possibly.

Au contraire, I like it. Listen to it more. MW is yet another controversial Grimes song, liek Go. tbch I like Go too.

This picture is from Pemberton 2014 I believe. And she's staring right at me in the crowd

post your top 2 worst grimes songs
1. Go
2. Medieval Warfare

this tbqh

>This picture is from Pemberton 2014 I believe
Yes.

1. Half of them
2. The other half of them

fuck grimes

fuck, grimes is awesome

FIFY

Medieval warfare is trash

Go is OK

Visions is great

Angels is not good.

First 2 albums are OK.

Grimes will only sell out more and listen to the yes men.

I still want to marry her and regularly smell her butt.

I still support her.

Why so many people hate Go? It's a fun song.

saged

Well when I first heard Art Angels I really liked it with it mix of a mainstream sound and experimentation to keep it interesting but this just feels too generic. I guess it was the best on a terrible soundtrack

Some people just don't like to have fun.

Your post is trash. Please, get out and never post here ever again. Thanks.

It's an useless sage...

shit guess the thread is over

>First 2 albums are OK
>not GOOD

does anyone know how to stream outside lands from europe?

>not GREAT

>tfw i just found out she made a song for some shitty blockbuster superhero movie

sad day. i though art angels was good, but it was obvious she was trying to become more accessible.

Old review:

Depending on who's bending your ear about the state of modern music there's a school of thought doing the rounds that pop in all its forms has run its course: 50-odd years and that's your lot, matey. You'll also be told that music has nothing original to offer and all that's available are the refried moments from a half century of influence that at no point offer even the merest hint of the excitement of what came happened the first time round.

Yeah, yeah… and so much for that. While Grimes – 22-year-old Canadian Claire Boucher – may not win any awards for her influences, the end result is that of beguiling beauty coloured by ethereal brush strokes and an ever-present air of mystery. It'll also give the arbiters of genre naming with way too much time on their hands a few sleepless nights as they aimlessly argue as to whether this fits into the witch/chill/whatever pigeonhole.

What does matter is that when Grimes is on the money, Halfaxa has the ability to transport the listener from the realm of the mundane into an environment that positively aches with a rich aesthetic. Boucher's celestial voice, more often than not an instrument in its own right, harmonises with itself as around her bass throbs, low-end rumbles and infectious beats coalesce with dreamy keyboard washes and sweeps.

[continued]

I like the fun, but production is generic shite

As evidenced by 'Weregild' and 'Sagrad', Boucher aims just as much for the feet as much as the head and the effect is not unlike encountering Fever Ray for the first time. There's some startling juxtaposition at work here and the glacial wonder of 'Devon' delights in music that proves to be as thoughtful as it is instinctive.

There is of course a caveat and what brings Halfaxa back down to earth rather than remaining in an ethereal orbit is a running time that could have done with some judicious pruning. The inconsequential 'Favriel' and 'Hallways' outstay their welcome and the real climax of the set should have been realised with the ambient yet urgent pulses of 'My Sister Says The Saddest Sings'. Yet this is a minor gripe, and Halfaxa announces the arrival of a talent that, with the right guidance and nurturing, should thrive.

thequietus.com/articles/05916-grimes-halfaxa-review

The production was made by Bloodpop. It's pretty good, not shitty. At least Claire' singing is top notch.

>The production was made by Bloodpop
I didn't know that, I guess it explains a lot.

>'My Sister Says The Saddest Sings'.

what did she mean by this? she doesn't have a sister

He's not on the same level as Grimes. They also did another song, Phone Sex: youtube.com/watch?v=FxmCvdY4NZQ

Maybe a spiritual sister...

Dont tell me you like MW

Grimes has always been very outspoken about being on the accessibility-first bandwagon:

>Everyone calls us hipsters, and we decided we’re not really hipsters. We were trying to decide where we fit in the spectrum of sub-genres, and we kind of concluded that we’re surrealist yuppies[...]
>A surrealist yuppie is a type of person who's between the hipsters and the mainstream, who's still doing creative things, but isn’t disdainful of mainstream success. Just because something is engineered by a bunch of guys in suits doesn’t make in necessarily bad. We think PSY is the king of the surrealist yuppies because he's really rich and successful. He writes songs for pop stars, but he's also a total weirdo and clearly very intelligent and talented. He’s doing interesting and subversive things in the context of pop music. He’s the most successful surrealist yuppie that we know.
austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2012-10-04/surrealist-yuppie-grimes/

>“In my life, I’m a lot more weird than this,” she explains. “Grimes is more palatable for humans. If it was up to me maybe I’d wear a moustache or something,” she continues, as I start seeing her less as a hipster making bleeding-edge pop, more a kindred spirit of Vic Reeves.
>“I try to make it digestible to a degree.” Why? “That’s what I’m interested in seeing. I create a thing that I wish existed in the world, versus my own full unabashed creative expression.”
theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/31/claire-boucher-grimes-art-angels

No offense, but - speaking as a relative newcomer to the Grimes-verse - it sure seems like all the fans who like to harp on her for somehow not being true to herself or her music in doing things with a mainstream audience in mind weren't actual fans in the first place. Just hipsters.

Doesnt mean the music is good.

I do.

>PSY
>not mainstream

Is it just me or is she looking hotter these days

Doesn't mean it's automatically bad either - which is the bigger point.

You noticed it right. She's more groomed these days.

yeah, but the most mainstream-oriented Grimes song period, Medieval Warfare, is a complete shit with lack of lyrics, awful drums, and generic guitars and percussion

And it's the worst Grimes song tbqh.

(You)

The song is actually enjoyable. It's just a song for a soundtrack, get over yourself.

i prefer Go, but MW is runner-up

These two shows are literally the only time grimes has ever looked even remotely attractive

link to medieval warfare?

What does this "(You)" mean at this point? I explained why this song is bad, but you dont consider my post an actual reply just because I disagree with you? Fucking prick, grow up.

Wrong. There are loads of pics with her looking attractive.

PSY, circa 2012 - you should pay closer attention, user.

yeah he says (You) but then gives an actual reply
wot

he released Gangnam Style in 2012 before this Grimes interview

>I explained why this song is bad
(You)

Get over yourself. Just because you dislike this song it doesn't mean it's bad. Stop it with this "my opinion is the right one" crap.

can she fly, Sup Forums ?

Of course.

(You)
Just because you like this song it doesn't mean it's good.

I never said that my opinion is objective, I just explained why this is song is bad IN MY OPINION, but you dont consider my post an actual reply just because I disagree with you? Get over youself and grow up.

>best
Be a Body

>runner-up
Weregild

>worst
California

>underrated
Angel

>overrated
none

>enjoying shitty song from a shitty movie, and showing middle finger to person who explains why this song is worse than other Grimes songs
how old are you?

>still saying (You) but then giving a legit reply

is this a new meme?

>enjoying shitty song
Stopped reading right there.

Everything post visions

no, you didnt

Don't be so sure.

middle finger is actually a compliment in the Orient.

whole lethe is objectively the worst

I think it's enjoyable, but it's not actually good, easily in my top 5 least fav Grimes songs.

>that guy who writes "Get over yourself" in Grimes threads everytime he has no arguments
I noticed you again, please kill yourself.

>I explained why this song is bad,
No you didn't - all you did was lob a useless stream of vitriol at it since you didn't bother to provide any sort of supporting evidence or explanations to back up your claims (lacking in lyrcis compared to what? Awful drums in comparison to what? etc.) And trying to go with the idea that the more "mainstream" something is, the more inherently "bad" it is simply isn't gonna fly in these parts.

Get over yourself, kys.

Exactly. Saying that x is bad (drums are bad, lyrics are bad, etc) without any decent explanation doesn't count.

Exactly. Prior to that he wasn't a part of the mainstream musical canon - which is why he's relevant to her point.

Claire lookin' extra qt in this pic

goys

>trying to go with the idea that the more "mainstream" something is, the more inherently "bad" it is simply isn't gonna fly in these parts.
Actually my favourite Grimes album is Art Angels, which has the most "mainstream" songs, if we dont count singles like MW and Go
>No you didn't
yes, I did
>lacking in lyrcis compared to what?
to any Grimes song from Art Angels, but I actually changed my opinion, lyrically it's not that bad
>Awful drums in comparison to what?
literally any Grimes song, those kicks sound so unsuitable to the mood of the song, just listen to it again:
1:07-1:11

yes, those kicks are poor, It's one of her worst songs, but still pretty enjoyable

to be completely desu kicks and bass are the only thing i like in this song

Ah... much better. Lead with something like that next time, and you won't have so much vitriol thrown back at you.

>everything sounds so deep and distantly, and have a little echo
>kicks dont

strawpoll.me/10910497

do your duty.

>You have already voted on this poll.

Anyone will (try to) record the stream?

>strawpoll.me/10910497
PLEB BOARD CONFIRMED

>tfw voted Björk so Grimes won't be fucking ogled at

Grimes is secretly patrician.

>Full name:
Claire Elise Boucher

>Born:
17 March 1988 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

>Origin:
Québécois, Ukrainian, Russian and Italian descent

>Instruments:
Vocals, synthesizer, sampler, keyboard, guitar, bass, drums, violin, ukulele

>Skills:
Singer, songwriter, producer, sound engineer, lyricist, live performer, visual artist, music video director, dancer, model

>Main interests:
Music, visual arts, dancing, books, films, modeling, video games, internet, and others

>Music taste:
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201

>Others:
- Grimes does everything in her music, from singing and songwriting to artwork and production
- nice personality, beautiful look, cares about environment issues and saving animals
- took her name from grime music after discovering the existence of the genre on Myspace
- studied ballet for 11 years
- was a goth outcast in high school
- studed neuroscience, philosophy, and Russian literature and McGill University before being dropped out for missing classes
- had some troubles in the past: drugs, 2 friends died because of overdosing drugs, sexual assault, shitty jobs, the professor who got her into a music program killed himself
- started making music when she was around the age of 22 or 23
- big Lord of the Rings, Dune, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Abbess Hildegard von Bingen and Russian literature fan
- her best friends are James Brooks, Hana, Bloodpop, Duffy, Born Gold

Yeah - was gonna do that too, but then I remembered the whole 'guilty pleasures are for wimps' argument and I ended up just voting Grimes.

that's the thing - Grimes' music is by no means a guilty pleasure of mine. I just feel that the music is being overshadowed by a bunch of people sexualizing the artist.

>goys
>tfw now this is gonna be used a lot in grimes threads

Grimes' music is a pleasure of mine. No one should be ashamed of liking great music.

grimes made me stop shitting on mainstream music
thx grimes I was a hipster and I didn't know it

I'm sure Grimes would appreciate that. There's nothing wrong to like pop music.

Nah - it's got lots of cool things embedded in it - much like the rest of her music (that one medievally-sounding melismatic descending vocal line about half-way through? comes to mind.) If anything I wish it were a good deal longer since it seems to be packing a lot of potential sonic interest into a very short span - would love to see what she could make of it live (Go is very far from my favorite track of hers, but even I must admit that it makes for an absolutely knockout performance piece live.)

link to livestream please?

See the 2nd post.