Made Ride The Lightening at age 20

>Made Ride The Lightening at age 20
>Made Master of Puppets at age 22
>Made And Justice For All at age 25

Despite his overrated status is Hetfield literally the greatest song-writer of all time?

No? Metallica is shit and I don't know why you'd listen to them for the songwriter aspect

To rank someone like him above songwriters like Leonard Cohen or Tom Waits is absurd. You're just a metalhead manchild

There are a lot of good things about those albums, but the lyrics are not one of them.

Metallica is overrated in literally every respect except for Hetfield's songwriting. He's pretty good but most underground metal from the mid 80s to mid 90s was made by 18-25 year olds.

>lyrics
>songwriting

having good lyrics is called "lyricism"

It was all the booze and drugs and was never captured in a bottle for these faggots.

Well in that case most of the credit should go to Kirk and Cliff.

Also before that, Black Sabbath made all their classic albums before 25.

but that's wrong.
Hetfield wrote most of the riffs and did most of the piecing together work

>I've never read the writing credits to their albums but I'm gonna assume that it was all Kirk and Cliff

Those songs aren't that well written.
There is some good riffs and he made melodies that increased the commercial value of his band and thrash in general. But gluing a bunch of unrelated riffs together, even if they're good riffs, does not a good songwriter make.

Bob Dylan wrote Blowin' In The Wind when he was 21. JH couldn't touch him as a songwriter at the same age.

Everyone knows you listen to metal for the guitar goodies, not the lyrics. Go listen to Dylan or Bonnie Rait if you want lyrics.

I didn't say anything about lyrics.

Hetfield made Whiplash when he was 19

Metallica really only became lyric-driven in the 90s, even then their lyrics were never that deep or profound.

Whaddya want? They were a bunch of dumb, angry, drunk kids who wanted to make headbanging music for other dumb, angry, drunk kids. You expect these guys to have been Rosanne Cash level of songwriting?

no, but OP came in saying its some of the best song-writing of all time,

which is fucking stupid

Those albums are generally regarded as great albums by many

Or did you fall for that metal is for children meme ?

Song-writing isn't just lyrics its also melodies and chord progressions

And manchildren who can't let the 8th grade go.

>My taste in music is more sophisticated than yours

Sabbath still beat Metallica in terms of lyrics.

lars called
he wants his songwriting credit back

Lil B made 6 Kiss at 20 iirc and that's better than all of those albums, so no.

LIFE'S FOR MY OWN, TO LIVE MY OWN WAY

Those two don't compare at all, this thread is b8

Yeah I got whiplash when I was 19 too, but I don't view it as an accomplishment.

Don't know for the lyrics but writing master of puppets at 22 is fucking genius . Just like hanneman writing reign in blood at the same age.