What is Bateman listening to in 2016?

What is Bateman listening to in 2016?

Other urls found in this thread:

rollingstone.com/culture/news/american-psycho-at-25-bret-easton-ellis-on-patrick-batemans-legacy-20160331
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Queen

Adele

Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa & Imagine Dragons - Sucker for Pain" (with Logic, Ty Dolla $ign & X Ambassadors)

bleep

He's obsessed with showing people that he likes the "right kind" of music. Everything in Bateman's life is curated, editorialized. You know the long speech at the beginning about how he takes care of his body? That's how Bateman is about EVERYTHING in his life. He's obsessed with the spectator. He isn't obsessed with music, but he has these perfectly practiced short-essays on music that he recites to listeners. He wants people to know what he's listening to and why, and he tells them using canned lines which sound as if he memorized them from a magazine review.

So something that is Normie/Pseudo-Patrician.

Arctic Monkeys
TLSP
Kasabian
QOTSA
Tame Impala
Black Keys

etc etc

Death... Grips

PC Music

>He's obsessed with showing people that he likes the "right kind" of music
But then why'd he deny he listened to Huey Lewis and The News to that detective guy?

Because Paul Allen said that he didn't like them. Seeing that bateman was effectively tying to become the alpha male, and removing paul allen, the current alpha male (aswell as assimilating his personality into his own) was his means of doing so.

So effectively he stopped liking Huey lewis when he found out that paul allen didnt like them

That's an interesting theory, but the only thing keeping me from fully believing is that Bateman also said he didn't like singers in the same breath, but later on in the movie he went on to review Whitney Houston later on in the movie.

American Psycho original cast recording on Spotify

>that detective guy

You will address Willem Dafoe by his fucking name, thank you

I thought his name was T Boone Pickens.

Good calls. Also Twenty-One Pilots, Kendrick, Taylor Swift, Radiohead, and Carly Rae Jepsen.

Kayne

Batmetal of course, search on youtube.

his own cum

Taylor Swift
Adele
Nicky Minaj

Shitty EDM

>Radiohead

kek. So the guy who says he only started to enjoy Genesis after Duke because they were "too experimental" is going to enjoy Radiohead?
I know Radiohead is a highly mainstream band, even in my country they can easily sell out a 20.000 arena....but i still know a shit ton of people who for them some of radiohead music would freak them out completely.

actually this

perfect mix of pop appeal and critical acclaim, good musical progressive arc that bateman could go on a whole tangent about for like 40 minutes

>Kendrick
F U C K
U
C
K

O F F
F
F

the whole point is he doesn't actually LISTEN to the music. experimentation be damned, he just goes for what's highly praised and popular.

you know its true.

Fwiw:
>The music he listened to in American Psycho was stuff that was extremely commercial and popular, stuff to help him fit in. What would he listen to in 2016?
>What is anyone listening to these days? This is the question. There just does not seem to be this consolidation of popularity that there was in the Eighties. What would they be? Adele? Taylor Swift? I don't know who amasses the concentration of popularity that someone Huey Lewis could and sell 16 million copies of his third record. I just don't know whether that's swirling around in the culture right now in the way that we listen to music. It all seems so niche.
rollingstone.com/culture/news/american-psycho-at-25-bret-easton-ellis-on-patrick-batemans-legacy-20160331

He thought he was culturally and financially superior and so was disgusted by their shared music taste

he listens to rap music in the book and essentially calls it degenerate gorillas banging over shitty beats

Death Grips? kek

but he is racist

Does he look like a degenerate?

Interesting.

And for what it's worth, that made me realize he'd probably listen to Adele, Taylor Swift, and Beyonce. Just whoever you might see on superbowl halftime, really. That's the closest to wide appeal anymore.

Pretty sure Ellis has said more recently that he would've listened specifically to Coldplay, but I don't have a source for it (yet, at least.)

The author of the novel literally said if he was around today, he'd listen to Yeezus.

where?

sweet trips

rap music didn't have mainstream popularity and critical acclaim at that time though. In 2016 it does.