Is he the greatest songwriter of all time? Who can even compete...

Is he the greatest songwriter of all time? Who can even compete? And don't give me any meme answers like Lennon or Mccartney.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aXnfhnCoOyo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Probbly

Lennon, McCartney, Simon and Springsteen are up there, but Dylan is on a whole other level.

Trilogy is pretty unbeatable, he's arguably the best, yeah.

Dylan and pic related

Cohen and Drake both outperform him in every way.

I also think Joni Mitchell should be included in that conversation.

Lmaooo. Cohen nor Drake never had anything close to a Rolling Stone or Desolation Row. They were better guitarists and/or singers, that's it.

SMOG

Lou reed

>Drake

Go away

Jeff Mangum

Ariel pink

Max Martin

Bacharach

desolation row isn't good though

>The man behind Hotline Bling
>Outperforming Bob Dylan

Nah he's a shit songwriter
His lyrics are stupid and psuedopoetic
He seems to think outdated metaphors make him a genius writer
"Rock poets" are just poets who couldn't make it doing real poetry so they sell shit fake-deep poetry to teenagers so they can feel smart

Fuck off.

he meant nick drake you fucking faggot
kill yourself

drake writes simple and heartfelt lyrics and melodies, but they are more impressive to me than almost anything Dylan has done (outside of Desolation Row, Visions of Johanna, and ad Eyed Lady)

i wouldnt go that far

holy fuck you're autistic

delete this immediately

>psuedopoetic

what is that even supposed to mean

He meant Nick Drake, you buttholes.
youtube.com/watch?v=aXnfhnCoOyo

I think Pink Moon was better than anything Dylan did. I never really got why Dylan was that good to be honest. People seem to regard him as some sort of legend and yes of course he's talented but nothing of his really wowed me to any great degree.

i think they meant he was trying too hard to sound deep

Why are you quoting me, I knew who he meant, hence "guitarist."

Do I need to be a rich white boy to get bob dylan?

I'm gonna guess you are referring to Nick Drake.

Cohen has a lot of great songs, but if you add them up, it's not even 1/3 of those of similiar quality that Dylan has.

Nick Drake is definitely a much better musician overall, but if we are going to count lyrics I don't think he measures up to Dylan. Really good call tho.

You're right family I'm tired
You get a cookie

explain to me how dylan is a better lyricists

>Well, I see you got your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat
>Yes, I see you got your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat
>Well, you must tell me, baby
>How your head feels under somethin' like that
really makes you think...

Post your favorite Dylan lyrics

>sun down yellow moon
>I replay the past
>I know every scene by heart
>they all went by so fast

damn

>Now you see this one-eyed midget
>Shouting the word ‘now’
>And you say, ‘For what reason?
>And he says, ‘How?’
>And you say, ‘What does this mean?’
>And he screams back, ‘You’re a cow”
what did he mean by this

no you are the one who is fish

>I'm not saying you treated me unkind
>You could have done better but I don’t mind
>You just kind of wasted my precious time
>But don’t think twice, it’s all right

dylan spittin those hot diss trax famalam

Shit. What do I do now, doc?

You get me. We can be best friends if you want.

>I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
>And just for that one moment I could be you
>Yes, I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
>You'd know what a drag it is to see you
Dylan was based.

Feel like listening to a Dylan album. Which one do you guys recommend?

Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde

best albums to start with.

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan is the best Dylan album.

Jagger/Richards

infidels

rest of the lyrics:
>give me some milk
>or go home

this is in reference to dylan being a folk artist (a cow) and his fans only wanting folk music (milk) and are angry at him for making rock music instead.

Syd Barrett?

Statistically he probably is. I don't think I have any other collection as large as his that I like so much of.

Far better musician than lyricist. And for more influential than good.

Far too little output before he went schizo.

Nick Drake is overrated.

Rich? No. White? Probably.

Blood on the tracks

Phil Ochs & Cohen

Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter of all time and I'll stand I'll say it to Bob Dylan on his coffee table in my cowboy boots.

>implying Hotline Bling isn't a dark reflection of the 2010's the same way California Dreamin' is of the 1960's

Fucking elitists.

i don't like bob dylan i think his voice is obnoxious his guitar work is incredibly sparse and the topics of his lyrics overwhelmingly boring

berate me

you're allowed to have opinions

He's undoubtedly the most important.

same this is my opinion

His voice is incredibly nasally, and his own guitar work is boring and repetitive, but mother fucker you must only be listening to his shitty protest songs.

Nice answer, user. What's your favorite track by him?

literally this

>"Rock poets" are just poets who couldn't make it doing real poetry
Dylan published several poetry books.

Captain Beefheart

Kys

Nobody would have cared had he not done music though, because on it's own, on paper, his poetry isn't really remarkable or good

È Favij :'D

Your opinion is retarded though as Dylan was closely associated with some of the best and most important poets in American history.

Plus his compositions were far more important than his lyrics, I can't stand when both fans and detractors refer to him as just a poet.

Probably Christian brothers but it changes pretty often. Self titled is definitely his best album though.

Neil Young
Lou Reed
Prince
David Byrne
Ray Davies

nice, I love that one. currently, I'd go with True Love

No he didn't. He published Tarantula, which is a prose-poetry book and Chronicles. He put out poetry in newspapers and such but he didn't have a specific book out.
He was getting published in said papers before anyone knew who he was.

And of course it's not. No songwriter's poetry (besides Townes at times, but I'll admit to being biased) stands up on paper. They have much different rules than poets. They not only have to worry about meter on a very literal level (how long they can sustain a breath while singing) they also have to worry about whether or not their voices can hit a note.

Agreed

Actually they're French symbolists, you glossy goon

>Nobody would have cared
Not relevant
>but he didn't have a specific book out.
>He published Tarantula
Make up your mind

'I only heard Blowin In The Wind once': The Post

Tarantula is one prose-poetry book (and much more on the prose/narrative side), not
>several poetry books.

>Tarantula is one prose-poetry book
So it's poetry

Being published was seen as a negative to authors and poets of the time anyway, especially the beats. It was selling out.

>Being published was seen as a negative to authors and poets of the time anyway, especially the beats. It was selling out.
All the classic beat poets were already published a decade earlier. Are you retarded?

mark linkous

Bob Dylan is one of the greatest songwriters, no doubt about that.

But his best album (irrefutably) is Blonde on Blonde, and those long-form songs are not the art of songwriting. They're a new form of composition that Bob invented using the fundamentals of songwriting to some degree though. Bob is primarily notable for being extremely unique and one of the best singers with some of the most musical and poetic lyrics in existence, not being one of the ultimate masters of songwriting. Leonard Cohen is a better singer-songwriter and an inferior lyricist on a musical level (though he's still on an extremely high level with that), but he's superior in the poetic sense. Leonard is also a vastly inferior singer, despite being a great singer. Nick Cave is a better singer-songwriter also, but he's great more in the sense of arrangement and atmosphere. Also a great singer, but a lesser singer and lyricist on a musical level. Highway 61, where Bob was writing actual songs, is not as good as Songs of Leonard Cohen or The Good Son.

>and those long-form songs are not the art of songwriting
Why not?

>No songwriter's poetry (besides Townes at times, but I'll admit to being biased) stands up on paper

His guitar work is *sparse*? What the FUCK does that mean?

I think he means that strumming chords is sparse?
Dylan is no shredder.

Well if you want to expand your definition of the art of songwriting beyond the shared conventions that Bob, Nick, and Leonard have on some of their albums, then you'll just have a larger definition of songwriting. I personally don't like to compare a completely different way of writing a "song" to people who share the same conventions that have existed for centuries.

By the way I think Blonde on Blonde is a better album than Songs of Leonard Cohen and I'm kind of unsure of whether it's better than The Good Son, but I think it probably is.

Part of me believes this is a retard that thinks he meant the rapper.

>then you'll just have a larger definition of songwriting
Like what? Explain it.

Steve, pls go.

Townes van Zandt is leagues above Dylan desu.

What the fuck, everyone should know that Roger Waters is the greatest songwriter and rock composer known to man

Hendrix is a greater songwriter and lyricist than Dylan, turned out higher caliber music and in a much much shorter time frame even if Hendrix did use Watchtower.

Roger Waters looks really weird without his mustache, I dont think i've ever seen a pic of him without his mustache before

Read that again, dumbass.