How do I get into tom waits?

How do I get into tom waits?

I started with Mule Variations, but Rain Dogs is probably a better starting point.

One does not get into Waits, Waits gets into you.

Offer to buy him a drink

wear a fedora
be a weird uncle
be a pedo too

Rain Dogs. Any other answer is wrong.

start at the beginning

>nu male
>likes ironic shitposting
>probably a pedo too

this user checks out himself lmao

>tryhard fedora music
"no"

tom waits is one of the most overrated artists ever

>nu-male
shitty meme

Go listen to your fedora music and vape

I disagree with Rain Dogs-- it can be a little hard to get into if you're not familiar with his other work. I got into Waits by first listening to Nighthawks at the Diner, and The Heart of Saturday Night

Probably his most accessible stuff to start with

Tom Waits is nu-male as FUUUCK

>Mmm yes I must say Way Down in the Hole is indubitably one of the most sublime works of blues sound I have ever heard. What's that Madame? Electro swing? Heavens, no! That is the dirge of the lowly troglodyte. It is far from the purview of the masterful composer known as Tom Waits

I feel like his older stuff is just too different from his more oddball post-80's material to suggest as a start. In my opinion, Rain Dogs is right in that transition period and better represents the Tom Waits "sound".

But I'd say his earlier stuff is some of his best, Small Change is probably his best album.

W I K I
I
K
I

I got into him with Blue Valentine
Each song (except for the West Side Story cover) tells a somewhat gritty story that showcases common Waits themes and they showcase the genres and styles Waits was into at the time. I think it's a good starter album. It's unique without getting too weird for a new listener to get into.

but what is tom waiting for

underrated

be Japanese

Just wait a little longer

swordfishtrombones is the only viable starting point. then mule variations, then Small Change

I'm going to second this. I think it's also, more than any of his other albums, a crossroads between his earlier style and the rest of his albums.
[spoiler]it's also his best[/spoiler]

ask him nicely